When did it become a rule to give nearest kid caught foul ball?

I was shocked by all this hoopla. I could see it if they had grabbed it from the kid's hands or otherwise shoved him out of the way to get it. But they didn't. They happened to be the ones that caught it. I don't understand why they are being so vilified. Yes the kid was disappointed..it happens and even as a child we have to learn to deal with it. If I was his parent I would NOT think anything of it and it is up to me to manage my kids expectations and help them through disappointment. We don't always get what we want and just because we cry doesn't mean we should get it either.

I've had Cubs season tickets since 1988. I have seen a ball come near our seats maybe 3 times. If I caught a ball, you better bet I would keep it!

FWIW, it looked like the child was crying before the ball was even tossed into the stands. I also don't believe that the couple didn't know the boy was next to them. I always notice the people who sit near me ... especially kids.

So much for the nice thing to do. Right OP?

Maybe she gave it to a family member when she got home…that's quite nice. And sorry, I don't believe in giving into temper tantrums. I'm quite sure there were MANY little boys in that stadium that didn't get a ball last night.

Just watched video, IMO no the woman is not rubbing it in the face. She is enjoying the fact that she got the ball. What? No one is allowed to enjoy something for fear of making someone else feel bad.

This is why we have have problems with "entitled" children.
ITA - she looks happy and excited that she caught the ball, and the child is sitting with his back turned towards her, so I can't see how she is rubbing it in. I believe in gracious winning and losing, and I don't think anything the woman is doing would be considered ungracious, and I also think the parents were okay about it too... I've seen some NASTY parents when their precious isn't getting perferential treatment, and IMO, these parents seemed fine with it - the mom looks more embarrassed about how her child is behaving than anything, kwim? I always hated it when my kids tantrumed in public!!!

Thank you.

I was watching that game last night, and while I thought they were more than entitled to keep the ball, they were being a couple of twits for not just giving it to the kid.

They did catch it, fair and square. Not disputing that. And it certainly didn't look like the parents were trying to make a fuss over it at all, they were trying to calm him down and tell him the same thing - finders keepers. There was no arguing in the stands or anything, it was Michael Kay making a fuss about it on the air.

But for god's sake...give the kid the ball. I love baseball. I've never caught a foul ball, but I'd love to someday.

But if it's between me and a pre-schooler for a random foul ball, I'm just gonna give it to the pre-schooler.

No, they didn't have to give him the ball. But it would have just been a nice thing to do.

I dont think that a baseball game is the only life lesson for a toddler. Its not a teach him now or he will never learn it moment in my opinion. It didnt appear that his parents were coddling him or making a fuss.

From my view it looked like a scramble, and the woman got it. It would have been nice if she took her photo, and then gave the child the ball. But in all of the excitement, she didnt. She probably doesnt have kids.

I am guessing that at the end of the day, the ball meant more to the child than to her.

I would have given the boy the ball

I dont think that a baseball game is the only life lesson for a toddler. Its not a teach him now or he will never learn it moment in my opinion. It didnt appear that his parents were coddling him or making a fuss.

From my view it looked like a scramble, and the woman got it. It would have been nice if she took her photo, and then gave the child the ball. But in all of the excitement, she didnt. She probably doesnt have kids.
I am guessing that at the end of the day, the ball meant more to the child than to her.

What do you mean by that? (bolded)

I don't have kids. I think it's idiotic people expected her to give the kid the ball. But, I'm a big mush, so I would have given it to him.

Couple of things:

First don't feel sorry for this kid. It was all over the news this morning and he was getting tons of stuff inlcuding a VIP package from Texas Christian University's baseball team.

Second, the thing that bothers me most is the fact that they didn't bother to get their kid his own seat. I am sorry but I can't stand sitting next to people who have their kids in their lap at ball games and I don't think it should be allowed for children over a year old. The seats are small enough without having two people stuffed in them. And especially a toddler who is wiggly.

Buy the kid a ball at Toys R Us, is he really going to care past the 15 minute mark? Is his life ruined because he didn't get the ball? No.

That said, I would have given it to the kid because I couldn't care less about a baseball.:confused3

I swear, we are raising nothing but little whiny butts who don't get their way get to be on tv, etc. Ok, he didnt' catch the ball , so what?

If I caught the ball, I'd keep it myself.I don't give in to crying kids or adults.

He's three. I'm guessing it meant more to the adult, who will remember the game, that she managed to snag the ball, etc., than to the toddler who likely won't remember any of it - and if he does, it'd be 'some stranger caught that and handed it to you because you were three and crying.'

As I said, I've given stuff to kids on occasion - they happen to have been kids that I think from my general, not-knowing-them assessment, have some actual interest in the events and the game and sport and/or players and, frankly, are old enough to have the ability to have an interest. I'm MUCH more likely to hand something over (but not guaranteed, hey I might want it) to an 8-year-old all decked out and into the game than a toddler who will likely as not chuck it back toward the field of play because to them it's just a ball and it's as much fun to throw as do anything else with.

first, it looks to me like the man caught the ball, not the woman. and i don't believe that she didn't know about the toddler since she seems to be looking at him in some shots. the man seems oblivious to the kid though.

i don't understand why people are saying the little boy is entitled. he's a toddler. i don't think it means he's spoiled because he is crying. and his parents don't appear to be coddling him, just trying to calm him down. i don't think it teaches him that crying gets his way just because someone else gave him a ball. it was a nice gesture. what is the big deal?

i don't think the couple had to give the kid the ball. i do think the lady seems like she is aware of the boy though (that's just my opinion). however, i would've given him the ball if i were there without my kids. :confused3

someone else gave him a ball. it was a nice gesture. what is the big deal?

Ok, the baseball team gave him a nice gesture because it's the PC thing to do.
They wouldn't have done that had all that not happened.

Last year a similar thing happened, except the kid was a little older and pouted because he didn't catch the ball, guess what? He got a nice gesture as well.

It was her posing holding up the ball while looking at the kid that gave me that impression.

I didn't see her look at the baby until the end where her fiancee and the baby were comparing balls.

Before that she was busy sharing her excitement with her fiancee and the people in the seats behind her and posing for a picture of her with her ball.

The fact that she was facing her fiancee having her picture taken doesn't equate with her holding up the ball going "neener neener" at the kid.

I don't see any of that.

Neither do I. Nowhere even close.

Again, this my opinion; the woman holding up the ball and posing for a picture is rubbing it in. Can't tell me they didn't know the little boy was crying.

I have been to 1 major league game in my life. I couldn't tell you what anyone sitting around me was up to. I was enjoying my kids and the game. Laughing and talking amongst ourselves. And sweating my butt off!

Well I've never been to the Stadium where the Rangers play. I didn't know the lay-out.

:rotfl2:

Second, the thing that bothers me most is the fact that they didn't bother to get their kid his own seat. I am sorry but I can't stand sitting next to people who have their kids in their lap at ball games and I don't think it should be allowed for children over a year old. The seats are small enough without having two people stuffed in them. And especially a toddler who is wiggly.

I wouldn't have bought my son a seat if it wasn't required, because I know he wouldn't sit in it. :confused3 I have two sons- almost 3, and 20 months. Neither would sit in their own seat if they had the chance to be in our lap. That said, if I had them both, I'd buy at least 1 seat for them for the crap I'd be hauling with me.

... As to the point of the thread, I don't think it's wrong that they didn't give him the ball. As a parent of a child at a similar age I'd be most upset if the ball never got put away where my son wouldn't have to see it.

My ~3yr old would have moved on from that pretty quickly if the ball got put away and I distracted him with something else. If they didn't put the ball away, I'd of probably asked, and if they didn't I'd just remove my son. I have no desire to deal with meltdowns and nothing (not even seeing a baseball game live) is worth dealing with it. I'd be irked with the people if they didn't at least try to hide the ball from him, especially after being asked.

I wouldn't have bought my son a seat if it wasn't required, because I know he wouldn't sit in it. :confused3 I have two sons- almost 3, and 20 months. Neither would sit in their own seat if they had the chance to be in our lap. That said, if I had them both, I'd buy at least 1 seat for them for the crap I'd be hauling with me.

... As to the point of the thread, I don't think it's wrong that they didn't give him the ball. As a parent of a child at a similar age I'd be most upset if the ball never got put away where my son wouldn't have to see it.

My ~3yr old would have moved on from that pretty quickly if the ball got put away and I distracted him with something else. If they didn't put the ball away, I'd of probably asked, and if they didn't I'd just remove my son. I have no desire to deal with meltdowns and nothing (not even seeing a baseball game live) is worth dealing with it. I'd be irked with the people if they didn't at least try to hide the ball from him, especially after being asked.

For arguments sake (I said I'd probably give him the ball) and because this kind of annoyed me....why would you even ask to put the ball away? If it's bothering your son and it's no one's fault, you move! Don't ask someone else to stop their enjoyment of something because it's bothering your child (and sadly I'll probably have to clarify - it's not harming your child). If another child had a toy and your son cried because he didnt' have it, would you ask the other child to not play with it?

Since I only go to baseball games for a hotdog and beer and really don't give a hoot about the game, I would have given the kid the ball. If the ball means something to them though, I certainly don't think they have to.

For arguments sake (I said I'd probably give him the ball) and because this kind of annoyed me....why would you even ask to put the ball away? If it's bothering your son and it's no one's fault, you move! Don't ask someone else to stop their enjoyment of something because it's bothering your child (and sadly I'll probably have to clarify - it's not harming your child). If another child had a toy and your son cried because he didnt' have it, would you ask the other child to not play with it?

Uh, no. I wouldn't ask a CHILD to put their toy away? Are you seriously comparing a child to an adult? Those situations are not at all the same.
We took DS1 to ride a train last summer. On the return trip, a family moved into our car and their kids had toys (Toy Story IIRC) and my son wanted to play. We told him no, put him on the opposite side of the car where he coildnt see them as easily and pointed out some of the scenery out the window. He calmed down and enjoyed the rest of his train ride. In the situation shown in the video, this would have been impossible. So you're saying it's completely okay for an adult to knowingly exacerbate a toddler's meltdown? And it would be rude for a parent to make a simple request so that everyone could enjoy the rest of the game?

An adult should understand that "flaunting" (& no I don't think she was flaunting it) a ball in front of a toddler, who wants the ball, is a bad idea. Put the ball away and the child chills out. Why can't the lady do that for the enjoyment of every single person in that area? Does she NEED to have the ball out to enjoy the game? No.

I said I'd remove my son, if needed, and I definitely would. But I'd be cursing (in my head) the adult who couldn't have a little compassion for a CHILD by simply putting away the ball!

Did you guys see the follow up video: http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=29693172

Way to go - tantrums work!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

:sad2::sad2::sad2:
And what about the comments? I have never been to a baseball game but I can't see myself looking round for some child to give that ball to them. I suppose when adults get sweets at the MNSHHP we should give them to the nearest kid as well? Life isn't fair and having the attitude that it should always be fair is not good for any kid, and expecting someone to give in to your kid is not going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter