When did it become a rule to give nearest kid caught foul ball?

Uh, no. I wouldn't ask a CHILD to put their toy away? Are you seriously comparing a child to an adult? Those situations are not at all the same.
We took DS1 to ride a train last summer. On the return trip, a family moved into our car and their kids had toys (Toy Story IIRC) and my son wanted to play. We told him no, put him on the opposite side of the car where he coildnt see them as easily and pointed out some of the scenery out the window. He calmed down and enjoyed the rest of his train ride. In the situation shown in the video, this would have been impossible. So you're saying it's completely okay for an adult to knowingly exacerbate a toddler's meltdown? And it would be rude for a parent to make a simple request so that everyone could enjoy the rest of the game?

An adult should understand that "flaunting" (& no I don't think she was flaunting it) a ball in front of a toddler, who wants the ball, is a bad idea. Put the ball away and the child chills out. Why can't the lady do that for the enjoyment of every single person in that area? Does she NEED to have the ball out to enjoy the game? No. I said I'd remove my son, if needed, and I definitely would. But I'd be cursing (in my head) the adult who couldn't have a little compassion for a CHILD by simply putting away the ball!

Nope, sorry, don't agree with you. You put flaunting in quotes, but then said she wasn't flaunting, which is it? If an adult was indeed flaunting in front of the child then I would agree with you, but if not, then no, remove the child from the situation. You are talking about two different things here. I wasn't talking about an adult knowingly exacerbating a toddler's meltdown and neither were you.

If someone is innocently enjoying something that is bothering your child (causing no harm) then you remove the child from the situation, not ask the adult to stop. And most adults (including myself) would put away the ball if you asked, but you shouldn't be asking in the first place. You can just as easily remove the crying child for the enjoyment of everyone in the area.

I may be wrong, but it sounds as if you are saying something like this>>>
Say you are in a restaurant and an adult at another table has a game (for whatever reason) and is not flaunting it, and your child sees it and wants to play with it and starts crying, you would ask the person to put the game away instead of just removing your child from the situation? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Uh, no. I wouldn't ask a CHILD to put their toy away? Are you seriously comparing a child to an adult? Those situations are not at all the same.
We took DS1 to ride a train last summer. On the return trip, a family moved into our car and their kids had toys (Toy Story IIRC) and my son wanted to play. We told him no, put him on the opposite side of the car where he coildnt see them as easily and pointed out some of the scenery out the window. He calmed down and enjoyed the rest of his train ride. In the situation shown in the video, this would have been impossible. So you're saying it's completely okay for an adult to knowingly exacerbate a toddler's meltdown? And it would be rude for a parent to make a simple request so that everyone could enjoy the rest of the game? An adult should understand that "flaunting" (& no I don't think she was flaunting it) a ball in front of a toddler, who wants the ball, is a bad idea. Put the ball away and the child chills out. Why can't the lady do that for the enjoyment of every single person in that area? Does she NEED to have the ball out to enjoy the game? No.

I said I'd remove my son, if needed, and I definitely would. But I'd be cursing (in my head) the adult who couldn't have a little compassion for a CHILD by simply putting away the ball!

Yep. and I'm a mom. Listen, it is my responsiblity for my childs welfare. whether she needs the ball or not is moot. why should she have to change her behavoiur for some one elses kid? God I hate that mentality. WE see it all the time at WDW when parents feel that because they've got a kid in a stroller, they get some type of priority at parades, etc. You want front row, get you patooie here early. don't get mad at me when you ask if your kid can stand in front of me and I say no.

What if you couldn't have moved your son to the other side? Would you then expect the other family to put the toys away? would they have had to play quietly so not to further upset your son? Gimme a break.

Unless the adult is doing some thing that would seriously endanger my kid or is abusive in some way (which usually ticks off the adults) no way would I ever suggest them to stop because my kid is having a meltdown. When my kid had meltdowns I left the situation PERIOD. I have left Magic kingdom, movie theaters, playdates, restuarants and a host of other places.

Stop expecting anyone to have anything for your kid. It's your kid, your responsibility.

So curse at me all you want. My ball and I'm allowed to celebrate a bit of good fortune. So no it would not be rude for you to ask but don't get mad when I politely turn down your request.

An adult should understand that "flaunting" (& no I don't think she was flaunting it) a ball in front of a toddler, who wants the ball, is a bad idea. Put the ball away and the child chills out. Why can't the lady do that for the enjoyment of every single person in that area? Does she NEED to have the ball out to enjoy the game? No. I said I'd remove my son, if needed, and I definitely would. But I'd be cursing (in my head) the adult who couldn't have a little compassion for a CHILD by simply putting away the ball!

Maybe for HER enjoyment, she'd want to have the ball out, to hang on to because she's still excited, to show off to people who ask, for whatever reason.

No, she doesn't need to have the ball out; she might want to though and it'd not be a bad idea as far as she's concerned.

The couple in the video has commented - here's a link to the article: http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Young-Ra...-viral-debate-over-tossed-ball-149090785.html

They said that they were so caught up in the moment that they weren't aware of the little boy crying next to them - and that if they had been, they would have given him the ball. They would also like an apology from Michael Kay.

Thanks for posting this. That was my impression--the couple caught up in the moment, the little boy behaving like a typical 3-year-old, his parents calmly keeping a handle on the situation, everyone put on the spot, the announcer being a jerk. In th story you linked to, both families were gracious and had no ill will. It was terrible that the couple was vilified all over the internet, and I truly believe they were unaware of the little boy being upset.

Why does someone have to be the bad guy in this situation? Terrible to see the couple called "greedy" and "jerks" when they were just enjoying a special moment at a baseball game (a few days before their wedding) and awful to see the little boy called a "brat' and "snowflake" because he cried (and his parents seemd to react appropriately).

Doesn't seem like there were "sides" to pick in this situation, but we picked them anyway.

All the follow up and junk this kid got off of crying just annoys me to no end. I don't see that he was being a bat--he was just tired/sad/startled whatever and I do not see his parents trying to act entitled (in the video) and get him things--but now it HAS happened and the lesson to be learned, which can easily lead to acting like a brat and feeling entitled, is that crying will get you lots of stuff.

He's three. I'm guessing it meant more to the adult, who will remember the game, that she managed to snag the ball, etc., than to the toddler who likely won't remember any of it - and if he does, it'd be 'some stranger caught that and handed it to you because you were three and crying.'

As I said, I've given stuff to kids on occasion - they happen to have been kids that I think from my general, not-knowing-them assessment, have some actual interest in the events and the game and sport and/or players and, frankly, are old enough to have the ability to have an interest. I'm MUCH more likely to hand something over (but not guaranteed, hey I might want it) to an 8-year-old all decked out and into the game than a toddler who will likely as not chuck it back toward the field of play because to them it's just a ball and it's as much fun to throw as do anything else with.
I agree 100% :thumbsup2
I completely disagree. He is very very young. It is highly unlikely he will even remember..ball or no ball.

The adults however will remember it quite well.
Again, I agree:thumbsup2
Nope, sorry, don't agree with you. You put flaunting in quotes, but then said she wasn't flaunting, which is it? If an adult was indeed flaunting in front of the child then I would agree with you, but if not, then no, remove the child from the situation. You are talking about two different things here. I wasn't talking about an adult knowingly exacerbating a toddler's meltdown and neither were you.

If someone is innocently enjoying something that is bothering your child (causing no harm) then you remove the child from the situation, not ask the adult to stop. And most adults (including myself) would put away the ball if you asked, but you shouldn't be asking in the first place. You can just as easily remove the crying child for the enjoyment of everyone in the area.

I may be wrong, but it sounds as if you are saying something like this>>>
Say you are in a restaurant and an adult at another table has a game (for whatever reason) and is not flaunting it, and your child sees it and wants to play with it and starts crying, you would ask the person to put the game away instead of just removing your child from the situation? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I agree with this as well.

The story is on The Today Show now.

I thought that teams quit throwing balls in the stands after last year when the guy fell over the railing and died catching a ball for his son.

Nice to see the parents of the kid say that this could be a life lesson that you don't always get what you want and feel no ill will to the woman (who btw is getting married tomorrow) who got the foul bal.

All the follow up and junk this kid got off of crying just annoys me to no end. I don't see that he was being a bat--he was just tired/sad/startled whatever and I do not see his parents trying to act entitled (in the video) and get him things--but now it HAS happened and the lesson to be learned, which can easily lead to acting like a brat and feeling entitled, is that crying will get you lots of stuff.

Then you should be preaching that message to the Rangers employee(s) in the dugout who witnessed the incident and decided to throw the little boy another ball. His parents never acted entitled, never asked for another ball. They did not do anything other than catch a ball thrown to them from the dugout.

Thanks for posting this. That was my impression--the couple caught up in the moment, the little boy behaving like a typical 3-year-old, his parents calmly keeping a handle on the situation, everyone put on the spot, the announcer being a jerk. In th story you linked to, both families were gracious and had no ill will. It was terrible that the couple was vilified all over the internet, and I truly believe they were unaware of the little boy being upset.

Why does someone have to be the bad guy in this situation? Terrible to see the couple called "greedy" and "jerks" when they were just enjoying a special moment at a baseball game (a few days before their wedding) and awful to see the little boy called a "brat' and "snowflake" because he cried (and his parents seemd to react appropriately).

Doesn't seem like there were "sides" to pick in this situation, but we picked them anyway.

SOOO agree you hit the nail on the head. They were on GMA and the dad said the boy HAD caught a ball before and pretty much in the same situation so he just assumed he was getting this one too. The couple days before there wedding were just excited :shrug. The crying boy is getting a bat and ball signed by the entire Texas Rangers teams so I am sure that makes up for anything.

Then you should be preaching that message to the Rangers employee(s) in the dugout who witnessed the incident and decided to throw the little boy another ball. His parents never acted entitled, never asked for another ball. They did not do anything other than catch a ball thrown to them from the dugout.

I think the message is to us as a society, not to the parents or the boy or the Rangers employee(s). All these people/organizations stepping forward to give the boy things because he suffered a disappointment sends the wrong message not only to that little boy but to all other children. Life is full of disappointments, few of them so well publicized, and children need to learn coping skills to deal with them, not be showered with gifts to erase the disappointment.

Nice to see the parents of the kid say that this could be a life lesson that you don't always get what you want and feel no ill will to the woman (who btw is getting married tomorrow) who got the foul bal.

yes. apparently only a few of us here saw that on the Today show. the parents said they didn't even know what a big deal it had become until people started calling them. they also said that the man offered the ball to the boy and they said no (because it was a life lesson that you don't always get what you want). the dad also said he tried to sit with his back to the couple to block the boys' view while they were calming him down.

so, i'd love to see people stop bashing the parents. they did not act entitled. and the boy was simply acting his age. no child is 100% perfect all the time (really, no ADULT is either).

and while i would've given the ball to the child (and do find it hard to believe they didn't know he was crying), it wasn't my call. the man caught the ball--it's his decision what to do with it.

i think the announcer and the media (as usual) has made this out to be WAY more than it should've been.

I think the message is to us as a society, not to the parents or the boy or the Rangers employee(s). All these people/organizations stepping forward to give the boy things because he suffered a disappointment sends the wrong message not only to that little boy but to all other children. Life is full of disappointments, few of them so well publicized, and children need to learn coping skills to deal with them, not be showered with gifts to erase the disappointment.

was the boy even crying anymore? :confused3

i agree that if they're showering him with gifts now, it's a bit excessive. but, i still see nothing wrong with them tossing him a ball from the dugout.

We took DS1 to ride a train last summer. On the return trip, a family moved into our car and their kids had toys (Toy Story IIRC) and my son wanted to play. We told him no, put him on the opposite side of the car where he coildnt see them as easily and pointed out some of the scenery out the window. He calmed down and enjoyed the rest of his train ride. In the situation shown in the video, this would have been impossible. So you're saying it's completely okay for an adult to knowingly exacerbate a toddler's meltdown? And it would be rude for a parent to make a simple request so that everyone could enjoy the rest of the game?

An adult should understand that "flaunting" (& no I don't think she was flaunting it) a ball in front of a toddler, who wants the ball, is a bad idea. Put the ball away and the child chills out. Why can't the lady do that for the enjoyment of every single person in that area? Does she NEED to have the ball out to enjoy the game? No.

I said I'd remove my son, if needed, and I definitely would. But I'd be cursing (in my head) the adult who couldn't have a little compassion for a CHILD by simply putting away the ball!

:faint:

yes. apparently only a few of us here saw that on the Today show. the parents said they didn't even know what a big deal it had become until people started calling them. they also said that the man offered the ball to the boy and they said no (because it was a life lesson that you don't always get what you want). the dad also said he tried to sit with his back to the couple to block the boys' view while they were calming him down.

so, i'd love to see people stop bashing the parents. they did not act entitled. and the boy was simply acting his age. no child is 100% perfect all the time (really, no ADULT is either).

and while i would've given the ball to the child (and do find it hard to believe they didn't know he was crying), it wasn't my call. the man caught the ball--it's his decision what to do with it.

i think the announcer and the media (as usual) has made this out to be WAY more than it should've been.

I'd love to see people stop vilifying this couple.

I think this is another case of the media creating a storm where there was none to begin with....

was the boy even crying anymore? :confused3

i agree that if they're showering him with gifts now, it's a bit excessive. but, i still see nothing wrong with them tossing him a ball from the dugout.

I agree with tossing the ball to the boy from the dugout. That was a spur-of-the-moment, gut reaction to seeing an upset child. It's almost instinctive to want to make the little boy feel better.

But to days later continue to shower him with gifts and treat him like he was victimized is just too much.

This gets better: The parents and the kid were on GMA and said the couple was very nice and didn't do anything intentionally. They also mentioned that they've sat in those seats once before and the kid got a ball then. Okay, I know he's only three. But fourth row from the field twice and two balls. That's more than most people will ever see. So shut up!!!!

Since when is any adult under any obligation to givea child anything? I wouldn't have given it to him becasuse he was crying nor would i have expected my son if i was in that position to get the ball.

Also if you look at the video the player didn't intentionaly throw it to the kid there wasn't enough time. He just threw it out for some one to catch .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter