When did it become a rule to give nearest kid caught foul ball?

So the couple DID offer the kid the ball and mom refused.

END OF STORY.

Totally agree. Unfortunate (unintentional) editing. I watched the 8th inning of that game on MLB.tv archives. During the game, they kept cutting back and forth between the kid and the action. The Deadspin version gives the impression that it happened in 1 minute, but it actually took about 3 or 4 minutes. In other words, lots of things happened that we didn't see.

I caught a puck one time at an NHL game during warmups. Player hit it off his stick, it hit the glass and deflected into the stands. It was coming fast and it hurt when I caught it. First puck I ever caught and I have been a hockey fan since I was in elementary school. A kid came over to me and said, "I never caught a puck" I responded, "Me neither, good luck to you" and I went about watching the rest of the warm-up.

Sometimes players will point out a kid in the stands and throw a puck over the glass. In that case, the puck is for the kid that was identified. If it just goes into the stands off a shot, it's fair game.

I hate the entitlement feelings people have.

We have season's tickets to the Sabres. Only once has my sister got a puck (also during warm ups). Same thing happened: a nearby kid wanted it. But she was bringing it home to our little nephew, also a huge Sabres fan. So sorry, no , to the nearby kid. There are also other "give aways" every game. T shirts, coupons, food promo's, etc. In all the years we have gone to games, we have never gotten anything. If we ever do, sorry, we're keeping it. We have spent a small fortune going to games for over 30 years. We're as entitled as anyone else in the place.

There's no crying in baseball.

:thumbsup2 And that's just what my DH would have been telling our kid! :rotfl2:

I think the message is to us as a society, not to the parents or the boy or the Rangers employee(s). All these people/organizations stepping forward to give the boy things because he suffered a disappointment sends the wrong message not only to that little boy but to all other children. Life is full of disappointments, few of them so well publicized, and children need to learn coping skills to deal with them, not be showered with gifts to erase the disappointment.

Absolutely agree!!!

yes. apparently only a few of us here saw that on the Today show. the parents said they didn't even know what a big deal it had become until people started calling them. they also said that the man offered the ball to the boy and they said no (because it was a life lesson that you don't always get what you want). the dad also said he tried to sit with his back to the couple to block the boys' view while they were calming him down.

so, i'd love to see people stop bashing the parents. they did not act entitled. and the boy was simply acting his age. no child is 100% perfect all the time (really, no ADULT is either).

i think the announcer and the media (as usual) has made this out to be WAY more than it should've been.

Glad you posted this. I only saw GMA & they didn't mention any of that. Glad to hear the parents were OK with things as they happened. Now if only the media would let this die down & stop hyping a made up situation. Can't wait to see how many more teams/ companies send the kid goodies.

END OF STORY.

Hmmm, doesn't that call for Jazz Hands?

:rotfl2:

Who has bashed the parents? I've seen people bash the couple who got the ball, but I haven't read anyone bashing the parents.

Who has bashed the parents? I've seen people bash the couple who got the ball, but I haven't read anyone bashing the parents.

I think early on there were assumptions that the parents thought the kid should have the ball when it turns out it wasn't true.

Now that the parents have publicly stated the ball was offered and declined this couple is owed a LOT of major apologies.

END OF STORY.

yes. and yes.

that's what the mom said. she didn't say WHEN he offered, but that he had. and that they'd said no.

although, it really doesn't matter when he offered. if all of the parties involved thought things were fine how they went down, then the announcer and the media need to shut up about it.

and to the PP, there were comments here (and i've seen comments under the news stories) about parents giving their kids everything and implying that these parents were doing that.

I go to games all the time. If I catch a foul ball it's mine. Crying kid be damned!

I know that throwing back the other teams HR ball is expected too but it would be soooo hard to throw that ball back. I'd take my ball and run. lol

and to the PP, there were comments here (and i've seen comments under the news stories) about parents giving their kids everything and implying that these parents were doing that.
I know there were comments about parents (in general) giving their kids everything, I just don't remember THESE parents being accused of it... other than someone accusing the mother giving the woman who got the ball the "evil eye".

I go to games all the time. If I catch a foul ball it's mine. Crying kid be damned!

I know that throwing back the other teams HR ball is expected too but it would be soooo hard to throw that ball back. I'd take my ball and run. lol

I have 2 balls (one from the stands and one caught outside the park). I kept both of them! Neither was from a major league game. If I am ever lucky enough to get a Major League ball, I will give it to one of my 8 DGC. Maybe! :thumbsup2

Looking at the comments in some of the news articles there are calls for the couple to be beaten up, calls to burn their home down. His wife is called all sorts of foul names and assumed to be a gold digging mistress. Mind you its not helped when the headline is
Rangers fan steals ball from kid, gets called out on TV

Mitch Moreland tosses a ball toward a kid in the Rangers Ballpark stands. That guy snatches it away. The kid starts crying. That guy makes out with his girlfriend.
http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=29693172#

Overall, it's a ball use in one of many baseball game. Big deal. I would give a ball to a kid and think nothing of it. More important things in life.

Kind of amazes me what THINGS we attach importance to.

Watch this video and them give us your thoughts. To me the older couple was rubbing it in. It looks to me that you can see them looking at the little boy as they're taking pictures.

http://deadspin.com/5905250/worst-people-ever-catch-foul-ball-refuse-to-give-it-to-a-crying-child-are-vilified-by-michael-kay

I watched the video twice. I don't see them looking at the kid at all - not even once. They look genuinely happy and excited that they caught the ball, and probably have no idea why the toddler is crying next to them.

Ok, the baseball team gave him a nice gesture because it's the PC thing to do.

They wouldn't have done that had all that not happened.

Last year a similar thing happened, except the kid was a little older and pouted because he didn't catch the ball, guess what? He got a nice gesture as well.
Lesson learned...by all the little kiddies out there and their parents who are saying "Hey, look what THAT kid got when he had a meltdown. :thumbsup2" Seriously, I think there should be cameras constantly on every section of the stands, because God only knows how many upset kids there are during a game who never receive anything, and surely we don't want ANY child to go home have experienced a disappointment. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't have bought my son a seat if it wasn't required, because I know he wouldn't sit in it. :confused3 I have two sons- almost 3, and 20 months. Neither would sit in their own seat if they had the chance to be in our lap. That said, if I had them both, I'd buy at least 1 seat for them for the crap I'd be hauling with me.

... As to the point of the thread, I don't think it's wrong that they didn't give him the ball. As a parent of a child at a similar age I'd be most upset if the ball never got put away where my son wouldn't have to see it.

My ~3yr old would have moved on from that pretty quickly if the ball got put away and I distracted him with something else. If they didn't put the ball away, I'd of probably asked, and if they didn't I'd just remove my son. I have no desire to deal with meltdowns and nothing (not even seeing a baseball game live) is worth dealing with it. I'd be irked with the people if they didn't at least try to hide the ball from him, especially after being asked.
Where do I start. :) First, I don't know at what age a child can get into a game without a ticket. But a squirmy kid on someone's lap in one of those claustrophobic seats is annoying to the person sitting next to them. At least if there's a seat meant for the child, there's a buffer between the child sitting on the lap and the person one seat down from them.

I can't even begin to imagine asking an adult who is HOLDING something in their hands to put it away because it's upsetting my child. :faint: What I do have an issue with is all the little darlings who get, at the minor league games we go to, souvenir baseball bats/balls/hats that they wave around and hit the back of my seat and/or my body with, which has more than once not stopped even when asked because I get that outraged ":scared1: He's just a KID!" look from the parents. Geez, I just don't get not simply and matter-of-factly teaching children to be considerate of those around them, that they can't have everything they want, that other people have things that they don't, and, oh yeah, get over it.
For arguments sake (I said I'd probably give him the ball) and because this kind of annoyed me....why would you even ask to put the ball away? If it's bothering your son and it's no one's fault, you move! Don't ask someone else to stop their enjoyment of something because it's bothering your child (and sadly I'll probably have to clarify - it's not harming your child). If another child had a toy and your son cried because he didnt' have it, would you ask the other child to not play with it?
:thumbsup2
Yep. and I'm a mom. Listen, it is my responsiblity for my childs welfare. whether she needs the ball or not is moot. why should she have to change her behavoiur for some one elses kid? God I hate that mentality. WE see it all the time at WDW when parents feel that because they've got a kid in a stroller, they get some type of priority at parades, etc. You want front row, get you patooie here early. don't get mad at me when you ask if your kid can stand in front of me and I say no.

~snipped~

So curse at me all you want. My ball and I'm allowed to celebrate a bit of good fortune. So no it would not be rude for you to ask but don't get mad when I politely turn down your request.
:thumbsup2 to the bolded. I agree with everything you posted, except that I believe it IS rude to ask a person to put the ball away. Now if she was tossing it two rows back, or otherwise being physically annoying/dangerous with it, like I've seen kids do at games, then certainly, ask.
All the follow up and junk this kid got off of crying just annoys me to no end. I don't see that he was being a bat--he was just tired/sad/startled whatever and I do not see his parents trying to act entitled (in the video) and get him things--but now it HAS happened and the lesson to be learned, which can easily lead to acting like a brat and feeling entitled, is that crying will get you lots of stuff.
Me too.
I think the message is to us as a society, not to the parents or the boy or the Rangers employee(s). All these people/organizations stepping forward to give the boy things because he suffered a disappointment sends the wrong message not only to that little boy but to all other children. Life is full of disappointments, few of them so well publicized, and children need to learn coping skills to deal with them, not be showered with gifts to erase the disappointment.
Yes, and I think, as I said before, that it sends the wrong message to adults too. I got really aggravated in the last couple of days watching The Today Show (I record it and FF through most of the BS), seeing all the adults who do things to get on TV, because I don't believe for a minute that two recent stories...the mother who posted the X on her DD's picture on FB, and the guy who dressed like a masked robber and scared his GF and her friends...were "real" stories that just happen to end up on TV. I think all those involved planned it in the hopes of making the news, because there's this reality show mentality out there now. "Catch" ;) ;) something on video, post it online, and voila!..."hey everybody, we're going to be on TV!" ugh. So teach your kid to have a hissy fit because it certainly worked for this little boy (NOT saying THIS situation was planned, or anything about it was fake...I believe 100% that it's something that just happened).
This gets better: The parents and the kid were on GMA and said the couple was very nice and didn't do anything intentionally. They also mentioned that they've sat in those seats once before and the kid got a ball then. Okay, I know he's only three. But fourth row from the field twice and two balls. That's more than most people will ever see. So shut up!!!!
:worship: And a perfect opportunity it was for the parents to, as they TRIED to do, tell him that he got a ball once before and he can't get one every time.
What I saw upthread was people discussing that people seem to have an entitlement attitude ABOUT children...the whole "give it to the kid!" attitude, from which children learn it, not that THAT child felt entitled.
Looking at the comments in some of the news articles there are calls for the couple to be beaten up, calls to burn their home down. His wife is called all sorts of foul names and assumed to be a gold digging mistress. Mind you its not helped when the headline is
Rangers fan steals ball from kid, gets called out on TV

Mitch Moreland tosses a ball toward a kid in the Rangers Ballpark stands. That guy snatches it away. The kid starts crying. That guy makes out with his girlfriend.
http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/article.jsp?content_id=29693172#
Unbelievable. That's disgusting. I know a few drama queens that they can hire to write the headlines. Oh wait...apparently, they already have enough of them.
Overall, it's a ball use in one of many baseball game. Big deal. I would give a ball to a kid and think nothing of it. More important things in life.

Kind of amazes me what THINGS we attach importance to.
Excellent lessons to teach a child. :thumbsup2

The family was on the today show this am.

1. They said the couple next to them was very nice and had talked and interacted all night with thier son.

2. Dad said he turned away from them because his son tended to be animated when upset and he didn't want to disturb the couple and that he didn't think they even knew for a while that the kid was upset.

3. The mom said once they realized the boy was upset they OFFERED HIM THE BALL, mom said no. She went on to talk about that he is at that stage where he thinks he should get anything he asks for and they do not want him to assume that. The told him that he could try again and that he might get another chance later. She did not want the other couple to give him the ball it was theirs, and that's a life lesson that he son will learn.

Maybe for HER enjoyment, she'd want to have the ball out, to hang on to because she's still excited, to show off to people who ask, for whatever reason.

No, she doesn't need to have the ball out; she might want to though and it'd not be a bad idea as far as she's concerned.

I can say that when DBF caught that foul ball (hit off the bat of Jason Kendall, former A's catcher) he was ecstatic!!!! He held that ball in his hands all during the game, unless the girls or myself had it. :) He was just so happy he finally caught one that he didn't want to let go of it. lol

I wouldn't throw it back, I'd keep it no matter what! LOL

Did Michael Kay offer that couple an apology? I wonder if anyone who wrote headlines like these did too?

Fans keep ball from crying child at Rangers game

Worst fans ever: TV commentators shocked as couple catch, keep and show off foul ball right next to screaming boy who desperately wanted it

Couple celebrates catching a foul ball by refusing to give it to a crying child

Meanest couple ever takes foul ball from crying child

I think journalists are the new lawyers :laughing:

I hope Kay apologizes and someone offers goodies to the couple (or their kids--do they have some) to make up for all the horrible things reported about them that were totally false.
I am glad the parents of the little boy tried to set the record straight.

IMO That couple knew what was happening..... There was an awful lot of whispering by her... and when the boy was given a ball... everyone else in the area clapped... and they did not (and she whispers again)... (see the clip a couple of posts up..)

I actually feel bad for both couples... all they did was go to a game and now they are being picked apart...

Michael Kay should not have to apologize... he comments on everything at a game.. there is a lot of time to fill..LOL

ETA I give the father credit for holding on to his son... how many videos have we seen of men dropping their kids to catch a ball!! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter