When did it become a rule to give nearest kid caught foul ball?

The kid's mom sure looked like she was shooting some daggers out of her eyes on the jumbotron...
Usually, I am all for giving it to the kid, but when the kids starts screaming and crying real tears... sorry kid, you lost me!
Parents- don't tell the kid the ball is for you until you have it in your hands. And take your kid down and buy him an ice cream instead of letting him scream and shooting death glares at the nice couple seated next to you.

Okay, I admit that I can't stand baseball. I am so glad to not live in the US anymore when we have where exchange students who always wanted to go to a game (now we get to take them to castles). If I never sit through another game again I am happy with that:rotfl:

But, I disagree with the blogger.
Never did I see something that says "this is for kids"
Yep, plenty of people bring their kids, but many, many people go without kids too. Many people drink beer (a lot of it even, I never went to a game that did not have at least one person who was very drunk near me in the stands), ticket are pricey, etc.
I simply do not understand how it can be said that it is a kid's game and therefore all the perks (like caught balls) must be given to kids only :shrug

You didn't have to. Its pretty clear you don't have a high opinion of what this woman did (and by did, I mean acting happy she caught the ball, in front of a crying child).

It could also be argued that she was laughing at the crying kid. We don't know why she was laughing, but we do know she saw him crying and kept right on laughing. :confused3

And do we know that the couple with the ball does not have a son or daughter at home to give it to? Nothing to me in those videos (and I watched the game live last night) indicates that they're rubbing it in. They seem pretty oblivious to the kid.

We don't even know that the kids is crying about the ball. It could be from the noise of the crowd, the commotion around him, or the fact that it was at least 9:00 p.m. and he was probably wiped out.

Ugh, Michael Kay. (Married to my least favorite newscaster other than Katie Couric - Jodie Applegate.)

The kid's mom sure looked like she was shooting some daggers out of her eyes on the jumbotron...
Usually, I am all for giving it to the kid, but when the kids starts screaming and crying real tears... sorry kid, you lost me!
Parents- don't tell the kid the ball is for you until you have it in your hands. And take your kid down and buy him an ice cream instead of letting him scream and shooting death glares at the nice couple seated next to you.

I didn't see any of that. Do you have a link?

It could also be argued that she was laughing at the crying kid. We don't know why she was laughing, but we do know she saw him crying and kept right on laughing. :confused3

As a child she probably went to every Rangers game hoping to catch that foul ball. She was probably thrown off her own dad's lap as he jumped out of his seat to catch his precious daughter her very own Ranger's ball. Only she never got that ball, it was always caught by some person, without a child who wasnt nice enough to give it to her. After years of disappointment, she sought revenge, and last night she got it. As she sat there grinning ear to ear, glaring at the crying 3 year old, she had only one thought as her laughter grew louder and more sinister. Now it's your turn little boy......

We don't even know that the kids is crying about the ball. It could be from the noise of the crowd, the commotion around him, or the fact that it was at least 9:00 p.m. and he was probably wiped out.

Are you serious? You might want to watch the video agaain. It looks indisputable that the little boy was crying about the ball.

As a child she probably went to every Rangers game hoping to catch that foul ball. She was probably thrown off her own dad's lap as he jumped out of his seat to catch his precious daughter her very own Ranger's ball. Only she never got that ball, it was always caught by some person, without a child who wasnt nice enough to give it to her. After years of disappointment, she sought revenge, and last night she got it. As she sat there grinning ear to ear, glaring at the crying 3 year old, she had only one thought as her laughter grew louder and more sinister. Now it's your turn little boy......

Wow. You forgot to include the Grassy Knoll in your theory.

So the huge news this morning is that a Texas Ranger threw a baseball into the stands. The ball was caught by a woman, but the kid two seats down started crying. Meanwhile, the Yankees announcer chastised this couple as if they were bragging robbers. I'm not seeing that - if they reached in front of the kid or took it out of his hands, I get it. But this looks pretty fair.
Absolutely fair. The woman caught it. I'm so sick of the idea that kids' wants trump any adults.
I don't think the couple looks like they are rubbing it in. She shows it briefly to her husband and the people behind her--it is not like she waved it in front of the kid or anything.

It looks like the parents were trying to calm the kid down and not asking for anything. It also looks very possible that the boy was more scared by the jumping around his dad did trying to catch the ball while holding him than upset by not getting the ball (though either way I do not see why anyone should have to give him the ball).

I think the announcer was a jerk to say that and that the couple who had the ball did nothing wrong.
Agreed!
I would keep it.

I've been to quite a few ballgames as a kid and NEVER got to catch the ball. Wait your turn, kid.
Well, I never got to go to ballgames when I was a kid, but go to minor league games a couple of times a year now with my family, and if I caught the ball (which I wouldn't, because my first instinct is to duck...Phys Ed flunkie here), I'm keeping it. And I've got a grandchild now...the ball is HERS, not the screaming stranger next to me.
To me, the worst adult in the scenario is a tie between the dad who comes very near to smashing his kids' head into a seat while trying to get the ball with his kid in his arms and the announcer who was just plain rude.
:thumbsup2
As a mother, among other things, I would not have given the ball to the child because I would be very angry if someone gave my child the idea that crying gets your way and I would not want to do that to the parents of the boy.
::yes:: Your attitude is what I like in friends. :thumbsup2
Again, I would have reacted the same way, why because my face was on the big screen. Maybe some think she should have remained still with a stoic face, or maybe some think she should have held her head in shame?
She caught her ball, she was happy about it, she was laughing and smiling and talking to some of the people around her despite what MK said. Good for her.
Exactly. Again, the adults are there to enjoy the game, and everything that goes with...where does some little kid, who probably understands very little about much of what's going on, trump an adult's enjoyment? I'm sure there are people who just don't want the ball; by all means, hand it off, and pat yourselves on the back for your goodness.
Maybe they have a kid at home or a niece/nephew they want to give it to.
That's exactly what I was thinking. And maybe that child was watching the game, excited to see mom catch the ball! So mom catches a ball, and hands it to some little screaming kid nearby. Nice. Great lesson all around. :rolleyes:

OK, come back and tell me the wonderful thing it would be for the 3 yr old child at home to see mom give it to the 3 yr old screaming kid nearby. Well, there are and have been PLENTY of times for my kids to see and understand kindness towards others. And if that child of mine at home already had a ball, then handing it off to someone else might be a nice gesture (but NOT necessary) for my child to see.

And I'll even play the handicapped card here...what if someone (child/adult) was at home who was handicapped, and that ball would mean a lot to them? "Baseball" was the ONE word my friend's handicapped son learned to say. LOVED baseball. The thing is...no one knows why the couple kept the ball, and no one has to. The woman caught it, period. That alone is a good enough reason.

I don't think they needed to give the ball to the kid. They got it, fair and square. If you look at the video, others in the row in front of them also tried to get the ball.

I don't think she was rubbing it in, she was happy she got the ball. I think she would have acted the same whether the child was sitting there or not. I don't think she was rubbing it in to him. She took a picture, so she would have to look his way. When/if the pictures were on the jumbotron, she was more than likely focused on her and her guy, not the little boy.

As for the crying child, he could have been crying for several reasons--he wanted a ball too; he was scared by all the commotion around him; he was scared because he thought he was going to fall when dad tried to get the ball; he was tired and into crabby mode/ready for bed or a combination of these. The parents should have taken him out to try and calm him down rather than just sit there. It didn't look like they were upset, but were trying to calm him down.

As for the kid being given the ball--he would have enjoyed it for a short time and then it would have been forgotten. He is too young to have a long term memory of it.

I think the announcer was rude for his comments and not moving on. he made his statement, move on, don't stir things up. Same for the persons running the jumbotron. Show it once and move on.

I didn't see any of that. Do you have a link?

Umm, yeah, the link posted in the original post. She wipes her son's eyes, smiles at him, then turns her head and gives the stink eye.

Sorry but to me, the "Give the baseball to the kid" argument is as valid as the ones we argue every day on these boards of people thinking their children deserve get Mickey's autograph before a childless couple. That they can walk up Main Street ten minutes before parade time and shove their kids to the front because *gasp* they are children.
Children aren't special. As Bill Cosby always said to his children, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it. Doesn't make a difference to me. I can make another one that looks just you."

Children, by nature, are selfish beings. It is our job as parents to teach them better. Not to expect the Ranger fans sitting next to us to hand over the ball they caught because *gasp* he is a child. He has his whole life to catch a ball.

It was her posing holding up the ball while looking at the kid that gave me that impression.

What stood out most to me was the pissed off look on the mom's face. Makes it seem as if she's pissed that her snowflake was not given the ball.

We go to A's game often, one game we were pretty close to the field (usually we sit up in the top lol) and we were hopeful we might catch a foul ball. We got hungry so the girls and I went to get something to eat, they asked why DBF wasn't coming and I said jokingly "he has to stay to catch the foul ball", we laughed and off we went. We come back with hot dogs, nachos and sodas and DBF says "guess what?", I laughed and said "you caught a foul ball?" He says "did they show it on TV" and pulls a ball out from behind his back!!!! He caught the foul ball!!! It was so awesome!!!! He was so excited, he's been going to games for years and years (he and his parents are big A's fans so it's a regular thing) and never caught a foul ball until that game. Apparently after he caught everyone around him started saying "give it to the kid" because there was a kid a few rows in front of us, he finally yelled back "I will give it to MY kids when they get back with food!" I guess that shut everyone up! LOL We currently display this ball on a shelf next to an autographed hat and some other A's memorabilia. :)

I don't think foul balls need to be given to a kid, the foul ball goes to whoever catches the ball.

I'm so sick of the idea that kids' wants trump any adult

That does seem to be the case is some situations now days. And if a child is raised that way, they grow up thinking as adults, that their needs trump the needs of everyone else

So what if she was laughing. Children throwing tantrums are pretty amusing. So long as it isn't mine.

And if all enjoyiment had to cease because of one child throwing one tantrum, no one would have any happy pictures of their Disney vacation.

What stood out most to me was the pissed off look on the mom's face. Makes it seem as if she's pissed that her snowflake was not given the ball.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone called the little boy a "snowflake". I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner than page 5.

Umm, yeah, the link posted in the original post. She wipes her son's eyes, smiles at him, then turns her head and gives the stink eye.

Sorry but to me, the "Give the baseball to the kid" argument is as valid as the ones we argue every day on these boards of people thinking their children deserve get Mickey's autograph before a childless couple. That they can walk up Main Street ten minutes before parade time and shove their kids to the front because *gasp* they are children.
Children aren't special. As Bill Cosby always said to his children, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it. Doesn't make a difference to me. I can make another one that looks just you.
:thumbsup2 ::yes:::worship:

Children, by nature, are selfish beings. It is our job as parents to teach them better. Not to expect the Ranger fans sitting next to us to hand over the ball they caught because *gasp* he is a child. He has his whole life to catch a ball.

Agreed! I don't think the couple did anything wrong, and I commend them for not giving in to the crying kid, glaring mom or bouchey announcer. We had this same thing happen at a Braves game a few years ago. DH and I had taken our youngest DD and her best friend to a Friday night game. We had great seats and were in good foul ball territory behind 1st. A ball comes right to us, DH reaches his hand up and grabs it at about the same time 3 other people dove over the seats to try and get it as well. One is a mom to another lil snowflake sitting behind us and she is literally bending my DH's fingers backwards to get the ball out of his hands. DH is getting shoved left and right, mom is screaming "THIS BALL IS FOR MY SON!" It was absolute madness and it took ushers to get her off of him, the whole time with her yelling we 'robbed' her kid. He looked at her and said, "I caught it, it is for MY daughter." For many innings after that, we listened to mom call us every name in the book because we wouldn't let her son have the ball and it got to be so bad that when DD, her friend and I went to the ladies room, I had to say something to the ushers/security. She ending up getting warned about her 'unsportsman-like' behavior but it was still a very tense situation. My DD still talks about it, so it made some serious impressions on her mind. I can only imagine the poor kid who had to watch his mom be like that...he really did look embarrassed in the end.

The thing is, we would have given the kid the ball if people were just nice about it, but once all that started, DH dug his heels in and didn't give in. More about the principal, ya know.

Lastly, I want to defend this lady on the video and her laughing as she held the ball. I do not think she was laughing at the kid, I think it is the adrenalin laugh. A lot of people, including me, start laughing when the adrenalin gets flowing and from being in the middle of one of these ball battles, I can guarantee your heart starts pumping. :scared1:

Forget baseball, rushing to judgement when you don't have all the facts is the REAL American pastime.

You catch it, it's your ball (puck, bat, jersey, whatever), unless the player was specifically targetting someone - and players do target adults as well.

If they do, they usually make it fairly obvious who they mean to toss the object to - pointing or making eye contact and mock throwing whatever just before they toss the real thing. In that case, give it to whomever they meant to toss it to, and I've seen players see someone else grab something, stop and say no, point to where it was meant to go and wait until crowd pressure rights the situation.

However, a ball or whatever that flies into the stands or a player tossing a ball or whatever randomly into the crowd goes to whomever gets their hand(s) around it.

I too do not care about 'but what about the children!?'

I've handed stuff like that to a kid near me that I wanted to, for a particular reason, and I've kept stuff like that if I wanted it. Just because someone is younger? No way. Like someone else said, they've got more time to keep going back, bite me. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter