Hurricane Irma?

Okay, first post ever. We are scheduled to arrive at Fort Wilderness on Sunday, 9/10 and stay through Saturday 9/16. Clearly that is not going to happen now. My travel agent has assured me we can easily reschedule for 9/12-9/18 or 9/13-9/19. My problem is this: We are driving down from Nashville. What can I expect road and traffic conditions to be like on Monday or Tuesday? No Disney vacation starts off well if a 10 hour trip takes 20.
Traffic here in the East TN area, I-24 to I-75 area is horrific today. To compound things, we have a HUGE IronMan World Championship in town this weekend. I had to cross town this evening to take DGD to a cross country meet and she ended up missing it due to traffic. Ran in to another little girl at dinner who missed it too for the same reason. I've never seen traffic like this before. It's not just coming up from FL, it's going both directions. They expect our traffic to remain at almost a standstill all weekend with people moving through. And with this Ironman in town these folks can't stop here, they have to keep going. And football games in both Knoxville and Nashville on Saturday and Sunday. Tuesday should be better for you

We are too. We have BLT booked for 3 days, and then will be put on a DVC waitlist after we check in for the remainder of our stay. I have never done that before so who knows where we will be after Saturday....

Was that your plan all along, with the waitlist, or is it storm related?

Not posted in a few days but we're here in kissemme, got a full shop at Walmart for business as usual but also bought extras just in case (canisters to fill with water etc.) I'm terrified but we couldn't really shift our dates and we weren't getting any warnings from the airline or travel agents. I'm hoping it does veer off so orlando doesn't get battered. I don't even know what to do in this situation tbh, will our windows blow out? Will the roof blow away? As a Brit who's never experienced something like this I could use some advice

Am I remembering correctly, are you in a rented villa? If so, what suggestions have the rental company given? Have they talked about boarding up windows or anything like that?

Try not to panic! Chances are the villa will still have windows and a roof! The most important thing is to be prepared. Bring in absolutely anything outside that might become a projectile; patio furniture, plant pots, anything like that. It sounds like you've stocked up, so just make sure you have enough supplies for potentially having to stay in the house from Saturday through Tuesday. There might be power outages, so be sure to have flashlights, and plenty of non-perishable food items. Fill up all bath tubs with water. Do you have a rental car? Make sure it has a full gas tank.

Get out and have fun tomorrow, and try to forget about the hurricane for at least one day. The weather tomorrow looks gorgeous, we're planning on spending the whole day at the Magic Kingdom!

That would include the state of the roads and airport.

Of course. Statements about the airport closure aren't fear mongering. Neither are posters reporting how long it has taken to evacuate.

Saying that the highways look like a scene out of Armageddon or Independence Day or repeatedly stressing how catastrophic the winds are supposed to be are fear mongering.

They aren't trying to hide anything. There has not been any damage done to Florida or the Orlando area as yet. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the operational and travel challenges associated with planning to ride out Hurricane Irma, leave prior to the storm or re-schedule trips as a result. Not fear mongering, panic inciting discussions of damage that has not occurred.

Preach it sister (or mister, don't want to assume). There are quite a few fear mongering posters who are not helpful in the slightest.

Well... since intently reading this tread since last Saturday and holding onto a pray that our first Disney experience would still hold, we canceled today. Set to leave out tomorrow with 2 small children for an expectedly 10 hour drive from NC. With current tracks we are looking to feel the effects of the beast here in WNC.

Although I am devestated at the hours put into planning I'm grateful. We have friends in SF (expecting parents) that are preparing to hunker down.

With that said, we were able to rebook for Christmas ( which I hear is amazing ) arriving on our daughters birthday and keep free dining. Will be keeping this a secret so it will totally make up for her devastation.

This tread has been so therapeutic for me to allow me to be devastated about loosing out on a life dream And not feel condemned for being upset about a "vacation".

I am so thankful for Tiffany at keytotheworld travel. She sat on the phone for hours today rescheduling everything. I personally have not had to deal with Disney.

Prayers to those who continue to press on with their travel plans.

We will see you in Dec, Mickey

LOVE DW at Christmas. Your daughters will be amazed!:lovestruc Thank you for changing. :tink:

I just tried to change our reservations to either October or November. The CM (who was very sweet, her name is Flora Rose- pretty!) checked and said there was nothing available at all!
So I asked about a refund and she said there would be a $200 cancellation fee if I did that and that it might work out better in my favor to just keep calling back to try to reschedule. Sooooo frustrated as this is the second year that we have had to push our Disney trip back. Mickey needs me!

When is your reservation? I cancelled today for my trip from the 10th-15th and the CM said "and of course because of the circumstances there will be no cancellation fee from disney or JetBlue.."

We are still "waiting" to make our decision. Basically last minute. I went from "we will be safe at Disney" to "what the heck are we thinking flying into a place thousands are trying to get out of". I really just can't decide. Ultimately safety is our number one goal. Don't mind being stuck in hotel if we will be safe. I know that no one can guarantee anything, but boy it sure would be nice if someone could

FYI: anyone thinking of cancellingwdw and changing to disneyland >> your annual passes at wdw to disneyland bi costal passes > I was just told by disneyland NO I have to go to where I bought them / activated them (wdw) to change them to the bicostal passes. Apparently, the 2 systems do NOT interact with each other even during this time of emergency. They cannot help you. Told them I was trying not to go to orlando during the hurricane ? But, they can't help.
ugh

We are still "waiting" to make our decision. Basically last minute. I went from "we will be safe at Disney" to "what the heck are we thinking flying into a place thousands are trying to get out of". I really just can't decide. Ultimately safety is our number one goal. Don't mind being stuck in hotel if we will be safe. I know that no one can guarantee anything, but boy it sure would be nice if someone could
I think I'd have the same problem. I want to be there so badly but is it worth it. It's so hard!

Of course. Statements about the airport closure aren't fear mongering. Neither are posters reporting how long it has taken to evacuate.

Saying that the highways look like a scene out of Armageddon or Independence Day or repeatedly stressing how catastrophic the winds are supposed to be are fear mongering.

:eek: I made a post about the wind. I sure hope it didn't land me on the naughty list!

Now if I could just talk my son into coming home from college - he's about an hour from Savannah and the college is closed tomorrow and Monday but he's saying he wants to stay there.

Ga Southern? I'm from the 'Boro and have family there, and honestly, as long as he's in a sturdy dorm, house or apartment building, I think he'll be fine. Biggest fear there is tornadoes, but those are hard to predict/avoid no matter. He and his buddies just need to make sure they have the necessary supplies for power outages.

Still 4 hours on hold trying to reschedule. Had 8 of us going including my parents. After we cancel my dad tells us he has to have major heart surgery. Then my nanny texts me to tell me she is giving her 2 weeks notice. My 4 year old is a mess with us not going. I'm a mess.

Still praying massively for this thing to turn and spare Florida. Praying for everyone's safety in and out of Disney.

Thought this info might help someone... we were scheduled to fly into MCO tomorrow through Jet Blue and return the 22nd. When we went to change our flight online to move the flight out for next Friday (with no charge) it wouldn't allow us the return flight because it was not in their Irma reschedule "window". We called and the woman we spoke with overrode their acceptable time frame and set us up with new (and better times!) flights with no charge. We were also able to shift our condo rental and car rental with no fees.

Still 4 hours on hold trying to reschedule. Had 8 of us going including my parents. After we cancel my dad tells us he has to have major heart surgery. Then my nanny texts me to tell me she is giving her 2 weeks notice. My 4 year old is a mess with us not going. I'm a mess.

Still praying massively for this thing to turn and spare Florida. Praying for everyone's safety in and out of Disney.

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and wishing pixie dust your way pixiedust::wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter