Hurricane Irma?

It broke my heart tonight when my boss had to email the scheduling dept and cancel my vacation days. We were scheduled for 9/11 - 9/20. I'm going to contact Dreams tomorrow and officially cancel. Hopefully we'll be able to reschedule for early October. Of course we'll lose the free dining I worked and stalked so hard to get. Oh well. Better safe than sorry i guess. To all of those going on with their trip, Please be careful and good luck. To all that chose to cancel. I feel your pain!

We are still "waiting" to make our decision. Basically last minute. I went from "we will be safe at Disney" to "what the heck are we thinking flying into a place thousands are trying to get out of". I really just can't decide. Ultimately safety is our number one goal. Don't mind being stuck in hotel if we will be safe. I know that no one can guarantee anything, but boy it sure would be nice if someone could

I was in the same predicament, but not for long. I rescheduled days ago. Hello Disney Christmas! pixiedust:

I know this has been posted before so I apologize for rehashing this, but I can't seem to find it in the hundreds of pages of postings haha.

Does anyone know how long it took MCO to open after closing for Matthew? I know these storms are two different animals, but I'm trying to get a sense of when it might open back up, as I'm scheduled to fly in to MCO Tuesday around 10ish. Thanks I'm advance for any responses!

Read alot of this thread. We are due to fly in 1 week on thursday. I can't even call and talk to cm's about what they are thinking,cause we are after the 13th. On the 14th. I have played out several sceniarios
1. leave as is and hope for best
2. if cannot fly we could possibly drive straight through its only 21 hrs?
3. will it be worth it to even go or is it going to rain, and be flooded, etc. for whole vacation
4. chuck whole idea of going cut our loses and change go to california disneyland? We have wdw ap's could upgrade to the duel coast passes $$$ I think > but I cannot ask anyone on phone? yet till the 14th? I already made ressies got all except 1 day at present. But, haven't been west since 1995. OMG

anyone else going in 1 week and unsure what we should do? Thanks for all your support.
mky

We pushed our trip back from arriving 9/12 to arriving 9/15. It really is going to depend on the amount of damage sustained. My *guess* (and I'm banking on this) is that at a minimum airports, businesses, Disney, etc. will be wanting to and be ready to get back to business. BUT, if Irma does her very worst, who knows what it will be like...

They just announced Orange County Public Schools will be closed tomorrow, as well as Monday.

Ride out crew has been activated for Saturday evening.
I think the governor closed all the schools. A few minutes ago on Leon County's Facebook page they announced no school tomorrow and apologized for the late notice and robo calls going out now

Having spent the last few days bailing water out of the basement of my 1800's house, I realized it is nothing compared to what some people have had to deal with due to Harvey and Irma.

I am so sorry to everyone who had to change their plans due to the hurricane as I know you were probably as excited as I am for my trip next month. I hope all who want to are able to reschedule and stay safe.

Those who are stuck on hold, I'm so sorry. DVC member services was awesome. I was able to get through at about 6:30pm in about 7 minutes or so and had everything cancelled in less than 5 by a super friendly CM. It was easy to get our Discovery Cove tix refunded too. Our off-site room was refunded even though we were past the cancellation window (the hotel made us go through Expedia to do it but it was fine). I forgot to cancel our reservation for the DVC member event at AK on Wednesday but I'll do it tomorrow.

I know this has been posted before so I apologize for rehashing this, but I can't seem to find it in the hundreds of pages of postings haha.

Does anyone know how long it took MCO to open after closing for Matthew? I know these storms are two different animals, but I'm trying to get a sense of when it might open back up, as I'm scheduled to fly in to MCO Tuesday around 10ish. Thanks I'm advance for any responses!
I found an article from 2006 said it opened on Saturday. We missed a Thursday MNSSHP so 3 days

Ga Southern? I'm from the 'Boro and have family there, and honestly, as long as he's in a sturdy dorm, house or apartment building, I think he'll be fine. Biggest fear there is tornadoes, but those are hard to predict/avoid no matter. He and his buddies just need to make sure they have the necessary supplies for power outages.

He's renting a house with 2 other friends. He said they have everything included tarps if necessary. He did tell me he was going out to look for a couple of portable battery chargers for his cell phone. LOL

I am curious as well. Scheduled to arrive tuesday around 10ish as well. Coming from New Orleans

Matthew went belly up pretty much in Orlando. I think they got everything back up and running the next day.
@AngiTN , can you be more specific?

For Matthew, MCO closed at 5pm on Thursday and re-opened Saturday at 6:30am

Quick question: do you think we can count on DME to get us to the airport on time for our flight tomorrow? Like I would assume they'd take traffic and crowds into account, but maybe they have a fixed departure time that doesn't change? I just keep finding new stuff to worry about.

With that said, my heart goes out to all of you who either live in the area or are staying off property where it may be less safe. Worst case scenario, we are probably not in that much danger of physical harm here. I got a reality check when I went from worrying about my vacation to actual fear of what might happen to me if I stay, and that's nothing compared to the fear of losing my home, the safety of family and friends, etc. Made me feel pretty selfish, honestly. I wish we'd never come, we're taking up a hotel room, food and plane tickets that could have gone to someone who isn't here by choice. It's crazy, the storm wasn't even on my radar Tuesday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter