Marathon Weekend 2017, and so it begins!!!!

DECREPIT BODY UPDATE!!!! :teeth: Finally had my total right shoulder joint replacement 12 days ago. Glad I waited and found the RIGHT SURGEON. 5 days after installation I bicycled 68 miles. Today..12 days after I bicycled 103 miles. Spoke to the surgeon again about my knees this past Monday. If I wanted the new knees to fix the inside bone rub I would first need my tibia bones cut through and reshaped to straighten out my legs. They are pretty badly bowed. Only after straightening would he install the new knees. He did suggest, and I listened, that I have custom insoles made to force better alignment of knees with ankles and hips. Got the insoles on Friday and walked with them and all I can say is WOW!!! NO KNEE PAIN!!!!! Going out tomorrow at 5AM for a walk and if the knees feel good I will try to jog and maybe even run. Looks like a third Ironman Florida triathlon is going to happen for me next year, that is if the shoulder and knees do good.

John, you are the bionic man. I still can't imagine myself getting through the swim for a half IM. The distance is not the issue. It's the panic in open water during a race. Maybe some day I will get there.

Ed, the tracking normally works pretty good, a lot better than when it was first rolled out. I remember that first year they had it, I ran with my phone and felt the first text message that I crossed the start. After that I never felt anything. I finished my marathon, showered, and was at lunch when I got a message that I crossed the 5 mile point. Thought it was hysterical, but now it works pretty well. No issues.

So cool about Paris half. I really wanted to do it, but mallory was my hold up. I had to guess if she would still be around and thankfully she was so a good decision to not sign up and lose my money because I could not go.

Weather has been beautiful really helped with the longer runs. Did 10 miles yesterday. Feeling pretty good, except for the celebration of the cubs win. Feeling that a bit this morning. Guess I only have to worry about the next celebration when the Cubs win the World Series. It's rough here, I grew up on the north suburbs of Chicago and Bert's from suburbs of Cleveland.

Thanks Kris and FWC for the update on texts.

Do either of you have a feel for how "real time" they are? For example, if we cross a timer halfway thru the Full at 13.1miles, any idea how long it takes for that text to be delivered? It might help my family know when to expect me outside Animal Kingdom, for example.

John, I'm glad to hear your Decripit Body Update. Guess we won't have to run with an oil can to use on your joints like the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz.

Bama Ed

Actually Ed the texts cone pretty real time. You should have no issues. Bert and I use it a lot. The first few years were bad but now it's pretty good. Am sure people have issues, after all it is IT, but in general pretty consistent and real time

As FYI, additional registration has opened up for the January 2017 WDW Half Marathon this week. Reading the boards it sounds like all the Dopey/Goofy Challenge spots have not been sold (they're still available too) so they busted them apart to register separately. No 5K or 10K registration is now available, just the Half.

Unfortunately if you're a camper, there are still no FW sites available for the Marathon weekend. :sad2:

Bama Ed

Wow sure am glad I got my 10k registration in early along with our campground reservations. I was even able to add an extra day now that my DD and two DGDs are flying from Maryland to join us.
I had a bout of tendonitis in my left ankle two weeks ago and had to stop training. Lately I have been walking 30 minutes a day and plan on doing 3 miles next week. I was hoping to do better time than last year but now I just want to finish and enjoy myself.

Time for a bump. How is everyone's training going? Ed I hope your shin splints are getting better. Even though I am only doing the half at Disney, I am signed up for a full at NOLA on feb 5. Today I had 14 miles to do. It was cold but dry. Struggled a bit at 11 but then turned it on just wanted to get it done.

Kris - you had to bump, I've been hoping nobody did so I wouldn't have to reply. Oh well, now that you did.......

Shoulder joint is GREAT but muscles are giving me fits. Atrophy over the years is causing its own set of hurdles. Two weeks ago was the Space Coast Half Marathon and considering I did not train, I nailed it but it killed me back. Knees still not happy. Bicycled 71 miles today and will test out the knees tomorrow with an AM walk.

John the bionic man, I am still in awe. I still hope to do that half ironman, I am good with all but the swim. I will try again next year for the women's only event. I really want to nail the quarter mile swim first, or I won't make the cutoff out of the water. Does not help that 2017 will be nuts for work. Still hoping for Augusta in 2018. May need a coach.

Glad the shoulder is hanging in and we all just hope the knees hold up.

My dad just had his other knee replaced so one bionic hip and two bionic knees. My mom is actually supposed to have her other knee done while we are at Disney for the half but she is having some other issues so might not have the replacement yet. It is actually keeping us with a hotel ressie in our back pocket in case we need to be back sooner.

Am fighting bad genetics but am going and still faster than I have been until you get back to high school.

Kris thanks for your suggestions - they worked today on my long run. Now I just have to squeeze 26 weeks of training into 4. :crazy2:

Nah not really. But seriously I will have to strategize my way around the course. Speaking of which, I'm waiting for the digital program to come out with the course map and corral layouts. I have last year's and assume it will be the same but you never know. Plus the waiver should come open soon.

John, hope your knees answered the bell on your walk today.

Bama Ed

Ed I am checking daily on the waivers to see the coral placement. Am hoping for a good coral as I am hoping to PR this half. My friend that I run with threw down the gauntlet, so I am looking for a 1:50 half.

Knees are in bad shape. :(

Have done no marathon training at all. :guilty:

Not looking good for a happy day in 3 weeks from tomorrow. :crutches:

BIB # 7787

Got the insoles on Friday and walked with them and all I can say is WOW!!! NO KNEE PAIN!!!!!

. . . CONGRATS !!!
. . . GREAT !
. . . Until surgery, no pain.
. . . Or, maybe with no pain, the surgery is not needed, or not needed too soon ?!?!?!?!

. . . CONGRATS !!!
. . . GREAT !
. . . Until surgery, no pain.
. . . Or, maybe with no pain, the surgery is not needed, or not needed too soon ?!?!?!?!

My rejoicing was apparently premature in that during the Space Coast half Marathon I might have messed up my knees. Though the wedges felt good, I am going back to no wedges until the pain disappears and then I'll try them again.

We are in corral D for the half. Good placement for us. Though my goal time would put me in corral B. I am happy with it. Hope my butt stays happy to hit that goal time. Cold weather and sickness slowed me down today, but it was an easy long run today. I was just glad I finished before the rain. It was cold but rain would have been awful, especially since I was sick earlier in the week.

Pressing on to the finish. Keep training and keep smiling.

Knees are in bad shape. :(

Have done no marathon training at all. :guilty:

Not looking good for a happy day in 3 weeks from tomorrow. :crutches:

BIB # 7787

John, sorry to hear about your knees. My training has been less than the Official Galloway training program also.

My bib number is only slightly higher than yours and it puts me in Corral L. Your number is in the range for L too...

That means we'll hear the start announcements and fireworks at least a dozen times...

Bama Ed

Newbie here, how can I find out what corral I am in for the half?

Hi Ozgood. We were all newbies once.

On the runDisney website for the 2017 Marathon weekend, click the "Runner Info" section and choose the Race Waiver link. It will bounce you down to a link that you have to type in your surname and DOB. It will return a link to a PDF to print out and bring with you to the Expo to pick up your bib. It's the standard boilerplate that if something happens to you while you are on the run, Disney cannot be held responsible. The waiver will have your bib number at the bottom.

Then go back to the Runner Info section and click the Corrals section. It will bring you to a PDF link for the Half that will show what bib numbers are in which Corrals (lettered A through P). Then if you are REALLY into it, in the Runner Info section choose the Official Guide link and open it and go to the page for the Half. It will show the course map, corral placement, and Finish Line/Award layout. The corrals are started every 4-5 minutes.

FWIW it looks from the course map that the Half will NOT be running through the castle (the Full appears like it will). I've heard that the castle thruway can be a bit of a bottle neck.

Good luck with your Half, Ozgood. I did it most recently in Jan2015 and it was a good experience.

Bama Ed

The half will go through the castle. It's the same course it has been for quite a few years. Weather is nuts. I ran an easy 9 miles yesterday, it was about 38 degrees. I took the dogs for a walk this morning it is 70. The cold front is clashing today with the warm front so the temp is going to drop. It is still a lot better than being up north.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter