Marathon Weekend 2017, and so it begins!!!!

Bert finished 9 seconds after me.

Time to get ready for the Darkside Half in 6 weeks.

Bert is SUCH a gentleman. Smart move, there, Bert. :cool2:

Congrats to you both (on a time I'll never get).

Bama Ed

PS - Back to Disney in April for the Darkside, huh? Run fast. :worship:

BamaEd-Good going for the Virtual and YUP-same so soft shirt! I always wear compression sleeves for my calves to hold back the cramps. Even on my bike rides when I figure some effort or distance will be the theme for the day. 133 miles on last Saturday AND the sleeves worked great!

Kris & Bert-Great halves!!!! Kathy and I are last minute Dark Side 10K'rs but Hotel Plaza guests.

This is my first time trying a Disney race. Any advice? Thanks already for the great posts in this thread!

We want to do the 10K - I am so nervous we won't be able to register due to high demand!! But, running through Epcot seems like the best experience. thoughts?

Also, is Pasta in the Park the night before worth it?

This is my first time trying a Disney race. Any advice? Thanks already for the great posts in this thread!

We want to do the 10K - I am so nervous we won't be able to register due to high demand!! But, running through Epcot seems like the best experience. thoughts?

Also, is Pasta in the Park the night before worth it?

Welcome and be forewarned that Run Disney races can be addictive. Advice would be to make sure you can keep the 16 minute per mile pace and HAVE A BLAST!!! Registering for a RD event often requires being early and fast on the computer. Never did Pasta in the Park so can't critique it but as for DW and myself, we just eat as usual since we don't burn up the race course. No lightening speeds for this duo.

McFlurry John

Last edited:
Michele,

Welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:I know there are better forums to get Run Disney info about here on the DIS but we campers tend to be a different, fun loving group.

For the 10K, just be at the computer ready to sign up at the hour registration opens. It will fill up quick. I remember running through Epcot in a race years ago and it is cool.

John is right that the Disney runs are addictive. I did my first in 2001 and after the kids have grown up, here I am doing it again (although slower this time). He seems to be the Yoda of our Camping Run Group. This is the ultimate "Destination Run" whether its the Marathon weekend or any of the other races sponsored during the year.

We will likely do a post-registration status check after April 26 to see what happened for everyone. Hope to see you there.

Bama Ed

PS - have never done Pasta in the Parks. I'm usually trying to get to sleep early the night before a race (usually too excited and unsuccessful) so I am not a night owl. More of an early bird myself.

Last edited:
Welcome and be forewarned that Run Disney races can be addictive. Advice would be to make sure you can keep the 16 minute per mile pace and HAVE A BLAST!!! Registering for a RD event often requires being early and fast on the computer. Never did Pasta in the Park so can't critique it but as for DW and myself, we just eat as usual since we don't burn up the race course. No lightening speeds for this duo.

McFlurry John

I think I came to the right place :) We want to have fun and not so much worried about the time. When signing up, can I sign up more than one person at a time? or can I just do myself through my login, and my friend will need to do a separate login? I sure hope not. I would hate for one of us to get in and not the other!

Michele,

Welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:I know there are better forums to get Run Disney info about here on the DIS but we campers tend to be a different, fun loving group.

For the 10K, just be at the computer ready to sign up at the hour registration opens. It will fill up quick. I remember running through Epcot in a race years ago and it is cool.

John is right that the Disney runs are addictive. I did my first in 2001 and after the kids have grown up, here I am doing it again (although slower this time). He seems to be the Yoda of our Camping Run Group. This is the ultimate "Destination Run" whether its the Marathon weekend or any of the other races sponsored during the year.

We will likely do a post-registration status check after April 26 to see what happened for everyone. Hope to see you there.

Bama Ed

PS - have never done Pasta in the Parks. I'm usually trying to get to sleep early the night before a race (usually too excited and unsuccessful) so I am not a night owl. More of an early bird myself.

Thank you!!
I am looking forward to following you all on this board :) your posts make me smile!!!
I am so excited about doing this run! I hope it works out!
Cheers!

I think I came to the right place :) We want to have fun and not so much worried about the time. When signing up, can I sign up more than one person at a time? or can I just do myself through my login, and my friend will need to do a separate login? I sure hope not. I would hate for one of us to get in and not the other!

Registering a friend or even me :rolleyes1 can be done, BUT, you must first register yourself and then hopefully it will not have sold out before getting back to register US!!!! Two computers are better than one.

McFlurry John

Joining in this conversation, seeking some advice if possible please...

Any suggestions on timing for driving from Ft Wilderness to race start? Is it even a bad idea to consider it rather than taking the internal bus + Disney bus race transpo?

I know the Dark Side is an inaugural race but I'm hoping there's enough similarities btwn it and other races to get an idea of what would work.

After the race, are there long delays to leave with the roads blocked?

Driving down for the first time in my "new to me" campervan - looking fwd to the adventure! Any insights much appreciated!

cheers,
:)

PS. McFlurry John: I recognize your name from Dopey 2015 thread - I thought your "get a McFlurry" during the race was a joke until I learnt on that thread it's actually something you do...still gobsmacked by it! :worship:

Klam, we stayed at the fort the past two marathon weekends. We found driving our car to the front was the best option and then taking Disney transport to the race. That is our plan for Darkside as well. Remember you have to park st Epcot and you finish at WWOS, so you have to bus at the finish regardless. The big reason for driving to the front verses internal bus is for the trip back after the race.

Hope that helps.

garneska, thx a mint for the reply & info - yes, that helps a lot! Great to know there's ample parking at the front of FW to allow for that option.

After the half, was going to head straight to Typhoon Lagoon but was just worried about being able to getting out of Epcot with road closures. So runDisney will bus the finishers from the WWoS back to Epcot after the races? (I didn't see that in the Event Guide.)

cheers,

Giving this thread a bump.

The 2017 Marathon registration opens up in 11 days. Here on the Camping Board, I am still IN for the Full. I have teed up data with by brothers and sisters (all skinny, dammit). I'd like them to come in that week and run whatever of the races appeals to them.

Tick tock.

Bama Ed

Still not sure what I want to do. Possibly adding the 10k, I want a Minnie medal, but can't decide on half or full. I have 11 days to figure it out.

This past January I did my first ever 10k and first ever runDisney...and just turned 64! It was a very exciting experience for me and I was happy with my accomplishment. I only have a 30 minute lunch and last year I was 12 minutes late to return to work due to the sign up process. Plan on staying at the computer til I'm in next Tuesday. Hopefully no one will notice I'm late!

Still not sure what I want to do. Possibly adding the 10k, I want a Minnie medal, but can't decide on half or full. I have 11 days to figure it out.

The more the merrier, HI-HO, HI-HO

This past January I did my first ever 10k and first ever runDisney...and just turned 64! It was a very exciting experience for me and I was happy with my accomplishment. I only have a 30 minute lunch and last year I was 12 minutes late to return to work due to the sign up process. Plan on staying at the computer til I'm in next Tuesday. Hopefully no one will notice I'm late!

TYPE FAST......:scared: pressure

I'M IN for the Full. Kathy got me signed up today while I was out on a 76 mile bicycle ride. She is the best. Accomplished a long sought after goal a few Sunday's ago by bicycling the Cross Florida 170 mile ride. Actually it was only 168.8 miles but after eating I bicycled another 6 miles to where Kathy met me with her car so we could drive to the hotel where we spent the night.

Dark Side 10K last Saturday was a ONE AND DONE FOR US. Didn't realize the half went past McDonald's so maybe next year for another McFlurry stop race. :idea:

McFlurry John

garneska, thx a mint for the reply & info - yes, that helps a lot! Great to know there's ample parking at the front of FW to allow for that option.

After the half, was going to head straight to Typhoon Lagoon but was just worried about being able to getting out of Epcot with road closures. So runDisney will bus the finishers from the WWoS back to Epcot after the races? (I didn't see that in the Event Guide.)

cheers,

K_C-how did things go????? Hope all went well!!!!

Didn't see your posts or I would have chimed in. The bus situation after our Dark Side 10K was ridiculous. We were staying at Buena Vista Palace Hotel and Spa and drove to EPCOT. After the race we caught the bus to Caribbean and from there back to EPCOT.

McFlurry John

Hey Mcflurry John, thought about you when I ran past the exit. Will be honest I did not think the course was too bad. The AK parking lot was the worst for me, guess I am used to Osceoloa. We were up in E so I did not have many issues with the boardwalk area but I knew what to expect. Bert liked the race since he only does the half in Jan so never ran that course.

I looked at the AP site, can still sign up for half or full. I am leaning towards the half. I just can't seem to convince myself to train the full.

After this the plan is to spend some time on the bikes. We want to do atleast one century ride this year maybe two,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter