Marathon Weekend 2017, and so it begins!!!!

John VN

N.Y. STYLE CHEESECAKE RULES!!!
I made our site reservation today for Marathon Weekend 2017. Arrive 1/4/17 and depart 1/10/17. Premium with a request in for the 900 loop. As soon as race registration opens up, I'm in for another marathon McFlurry.

OK, who else????

I seem to recall Bama Ed mentioning he was in for the full also, and a site reservation speaks louder than words....:)......so ????? To make things easier, only one day deposit for the reservation with refund if cancelled before 5 days out.

BTW, still not recovered in the knees from this year's marathon so I made a reservation with knee doc today. Good thing is that the appointment is 2 days after the Celebration Half Marathon that's in 11 days so he'll get to see all the bad things going on with the joints.

McFlurry John

Last edited:
I made a reservation for next year already at the Fort too, John. Coming in Wednesday (I think that's Jan 4) and also out on Tuesday Jan 10. I have a Preferred reserved.

Plan to sign up for the Full when registration opens in April. Hoping I can get some of my no good brothers (skinny, younger, faster, cuter, better conversationalists) to show up too.

So I am in.

My grandmother used to say that she hated going to doctors because, "they always find something wrong with you". Of course she lived to be 98 years old. Bacon fat and a highball drink everyday was her answer for old age. Hope your doc likes a highball, John.

Bama Ed

Not sure which race I will sign up for (Donald anniversary year) but we have our ressies. I just made them yesterday as I realized when the holiday fell. We are booked premium Jan 2 to Jan 15. If I do run the half Bert and I will volunteer for the full.

I revovered by Wednesday. Took longer than usual, sucks getting old. I have even been running and did spin class today. Next half is Myrtle Beach on March 5.

B-Ed-forgot you made the reservations already, just chalk it up to echo syndrome between the ears-i.e. room for rent cause it's empty in there.

Kris-not gonna join us at McDonald's for a McFlurry during the full?????

Bama-Ed-get that Celebration virtual done????? :listen:

We had a beautiful day for the Celebration Full/Half Marathon yesterday. Stayed overcast so the temperatures stayed down. After a terrible Disney Marathon I was not expecting much out of my untrained legs but the sticks surprised me. Still a slow 2:37 for the half but at least it should give me a better corral come next year's marathon.

Hoping you-all aren't slacking off seeing as how it is winter time??? Remember---Run, Forest, run!!!

Last edited:
John,

My virtual Celebration race has until the end of February to complete it. I had a little setback with my back (no pun intended) between Christmas and New Years so I am essentially starting over so I am glad I have the extra month to finish it.

Great time for you (at least in my book).

Bama Ed

I am doing the Myrtle Beach Half with a group of people from work on March 5. I did a fast 10 miler yesterday, so no slacking for me.

This could be a lively thread with all the fort folks training for 2017.

Bama Ed-Sorry about your back issues. Easy does it or you might wind up flat on your back. :(

Kris-No fast for me, just a matter of "just keep stepping, just keep stepping."

I see the knee orthopedic guy later today so maybe he can get me a little faster. In my dreams......:charac2:

Enjoy all!!!!

Are the marathon weekends always a particular time in January, like the first weekend, or first Sunday or something like that? Interested in this for 2018, but can't find specific dates to plan reservations around.

Yes the first weekend after the new year. I suspect 2018 will be Jan 4 to 7, 2018. The following weekend is MLK and they won't do the marathon that weeken. Wow looking out that far means I should be coming to Disney on dec 30. That means trying to get a stay over New Years. That will be a challenge. Plus 2018 is the 25th anniversary for the marathon.

Thanks, that's sort of what I had calculated as well. It is indeed pretty far out, but to get the 499 day jump on Fort reservations, I need to be making a room-only ressie around the first of September of this year!

Thought I would give this a bump. My next race is next weekend. A group of us are running the half at Myrtle Beach next Saturday. My crazy friend, my IMer, is doing the full. Overachiever. Bert and I have been training well and losing weight. We are both hoping for decent race and PRs. We are not taking the rig we are just driving up Friday and back Sunday. We do hope to go checkout a few of the campgrounds if we have time.

I hope everyone is getting some decent weather to lace up those running shoes.

I have my last half of the spring next weekend too. I am seriously under trained but i will make it.

Bama Ed

Thanks for the bump.....

Kathy saw that they opened Star Wars back up and she signed us up for the 10K. She already had a reservation at one of the hotels since she was on the wait list for volunteering so now we will just use the room for relaxing before and after the pain. I got 82 miles of bicycling in this morning and the two of us are heading out 0600 tomorrow for a 4 or 5 mile walk. Even with my knee straps on, my left knee gave out on me on our Thursday walk. Not a good thing but at least it was only one not both. :)

Be well all!

McFlurry John

Last edited:
We'll be there hopefully in 1800 loop. Not big on running too many years of sedentary lifestyle but being in better shape for some other outdoor activities I enjoy has me thinking maybe signing up for 5 k

Mike,

Just a word of advice.

The 5k and 10k will fill up probably 1 hr after registration opens if history is used as a guide. No kidding. So when registration opens for that weekend you need to be online hitting refresh with credit card out and ready. The Half will fill in around 24 hours. The Full will have vacancies for a while.

Make sure you check the rundisney.com site for registration date & times. IIRC it is April 26.

Hope we both are there.

Bama Ed

Mike,

Just a word of advice.

The 5k and 10k will fill up probably 1 hr after registration opens if history is used as a guide. No kidding. So when registration opens for that weekend you need to be online hitting refresh with credit card out and ready. The Half will fill in around 24 hours. The Full will have vacancies for a while.

Make sure you check the rundisney.com site for registration date & times. IIRC it is April 26.

Hope we both are there.

Bama Ed
ED Thanks for advice even if I can't get in benefit of training as if will be good for me anyway

We'll be there hopefully in 1800 loop. Not big on running too many years of sedentary lifestyle but being in better shape for some other outdoor activities I enjoy has me thinking maybe signing up for 5 k

FtMike-not a "runner" here in any way, shape or form! A simple endurance walker with the emphasis on endurance because us walkers are the ones out on the course for a longggg time unlike the faster runners and joggers who have NO CLUE as to what time related endurance really is. Let's see if those fast people can still be on their feet pounding the pavement for the 6 or 7 hours it takes to complete a marathon or the 50 minutes for a 5K as apposed to their 16 minutes!!!

DW and I started with the 2010 Marathon Weekend 5K as our first ever event. Little did we realize that Disney had provided the proper bait that would hook us for future events.

As BamaEd mentioned, be at the ready to register since the races fill up fast. We-all might just have to have our own FW Pre-Race get together come January.

McFlurry John

Well my last Half of the 2015-2016 season is over.

I started cramping in my calves at mile 11. If I attempted more than a shuffle, my calves jumped up, grabbed me, and dragged me back down. Talk about being in tune with your body... :crutches:

Note to self: do NOT pass that box of bananas at mile 6 any longer without eating one.

Next up is to sign up for the 2017 WDW Marathon weekend. Registration opens April 26 at Noon Eastern Time. Don't be late.

Bama Ed

PS - John, I wore the Celebration Half shirt (short sleeve, green) that I got in the mail for my Virtual. It's my favorite now - very soft and comfortable. Wondered if it was the same one you got for the Full.

Race Report! Big exciting news Bert and I both hit our A+ goal, we ran sub 2 hours. My official chip time was 1:56:57. Bert finished 9 seconds after me. He lead most of the race around mike 7 I gave up chasing him and just wanted to go under 2. At mile 8.5 he was about 5 meters ahead of me. It took me .5 miles to catch him at mile 9. We ran together for another mile and then I got ahead. He said the last 3 miles the closest gap he could get was about 5 meters. The race is much much smaller than Disney and we could walk to the start. The race was well run. We had a good time. Almost everyone in my group had a PR.

Time to get ready for the Darkside Half in 6 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!