• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017, and so it begins!!!!

It is still a lot better than being up north.

It's only cold if your not use to it. I'm pretty much use to it, having to work outside in it. I love going down to Fl. when the temp there is in the 50's and everyone looks like there ready to skiing, :cold: us northerners running around in shorts laughing at everyone. :joker: All joking aside, hope you and everyone have a great run.

The half will go through the castle. It's the same course it has been for quite a few years. Weather is nuts. I ran an easy 9 miles yesterday, it was about 38 degrees. I took the dogs for a walk this morning it is 70. The cold front is clashing today with the warm front so the temp is going to drop. It is still a lot better than being up north.

I'll go with your experience, Kris. Simply saying that the MK closeup on the course maps for the two races are definitely different. Wonder how long they've been like that? :confused3

Today's long run was memorable. Cold (in the 30s) and cloudy, wet (bands of misty rain blowing thru so rain was off-and-on), and breezy. The forecast for the afternoon was rain ending but getting even colder before dark as the rain front moved out. But I was properly dressed and prepared so it was actually a great run. Shins are still okay. Part of my preparation is to learn what my pace is to sustain a long distance race and how that pace changes as I alter the run/walk mix that is core to the Jeff Galloway method.

Anyway at the end of the run I had kept up my goal pace for the first portion of the full and I was wet, warm, and happy. Although it was cold I was steaming like a freight train since I had kept up the physical activity. A stronger, heavier band of rain came through so as I looped back by the car I got my umbrella to clock my tired-of-running-now-walking-pace (good to know). So between that and my goal pace, I think I know my range of numbers in between.

Three weeks till D-Day.

Lace 'em up. Keep moving forward. Beat the Balloon Ladies!

Bama Ed

PS - excited to hear that Jeff Galloway will be in person at the Gulf Shores Half/Full Marathon at the end of January. I'm signed up for the Half and would like to meet him and tell him thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Ozgood. We were all newbies once.

On the runDisney website for the 2017 Marathon weekend, click the "Runner Info" section and choose the Race Waiver link. It will bounce you down to a link that you have to type in your surname and DOB. It will return a link to a PDF to print out and bring with you to the Expo to pick up your bib. It's the standard boilerplate that if something happens to you while you are on the run, Disney cannot be held responsible. The waiver will have your bib number at the bottom.

Then go back to the Runner Info section and click the Corrals section. It will bring you to a PDF link for the Half that will show what bib numbers are in which Corrals (lettered A through P). Then if you are REALLY into it, in the Runner Info section choose the Official Guide link and open it and go to the page for the Half. It will show the course map, corral placement, and Finish Line/Award layout. The corrals are started every 4-5 minutes.

FWIW it looks from the course map that the Half will NOT be running through the castle (the Full appears like it will). I've heard that the castle thruway can be a bit of a bottle neck.

Good luck with your Half, Ozgood. I did it most recently in Jan2015 and it was a good experience.

Bama Ed

Thanks! I found my corral. I'm in "M", at least I'm with my people from the land of slow runners

Quick question! This is my first race in about 4 years, so some things are coming back to me at the last minute that I had not been thinking about when booking our trip. Do any of you ice bath after the race? If so, how do you at the campground? Our TT doesn't have even the tiny tub just a shower. I'm thinking of filling up a plastic storage tub (one that fits across the width of the truck bed) and soaking in my swimsuit under the awning, lol. Anyone have any better ideas? I'm open to suggestion!

Quick question! This is my first race in about 4 years, so some things are coming back to me at the last minute that I had not been thinking about when booking our trip. Do any of you ice bath after the race? If so, how do you at the campground? Our TT doesn't have even the tiny tub just a shower. I'm thinking of filling up a plastic storage tub (one that fits across the width of the truck bed) and soaking in my swimsuit under the awning, lol. Anyone have any better ideas? I'm open to suggestion!

Speaking for myself, Ozgood, I have never done an ice bath after a race. I've done about 15 Half Marathons and this will be my 3rd Full Marathon and never done an ice bath. When at the Fort I'm in a pop-up camper but that's not the reason why I don't. For races around my home area I don't do it either. I can see the benefit if you are doing one of the Disney Challeges and have long races on back-to-back days. In those cases an ice bath will aid/speed recovery. For me I'm at the point where I don't try to kill myself every run to get a Personal Record - I'm way past the age for that. Sure I'm a little stiff and sore the afternoon after the race or the next day but that's what Ibuprofen and Bacardi are for. I can walk upright and wear my medal to dinner that night of the race. After that I'm fine.

That's my personal experience. Anyone else's mileage may vary.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
@Ozgood i have done ice baths often. It's how I got through all those Goofy runs. I will say I have not taken one at the fort because the race was too cold and I could not do the ice bath. However I had a game plan. That was a blow up baby pool that I was planning to fill from the hose and get ice from the comfort station. I bought it for like $5 at odd lots at the end of summer. Since I am only doing the half this year hoping I can skip the ice bath, but will see. I have 16 planned on Saturday and I am intending to ice bath.

Blow up pool! Awesome idea...now to find one in Wisconsin in December. Wish me luck!

12/21/16 update......knees still in question for the marathon. Plan to show up, linger in corral, start with the masses and be passed by everyone including the Balloon Ladies. No McFlurry this time around and most likely my last marathon start. Will stick to bicycling and look forward to my 300+ miles in the 24 hours of Bike Sebring 12/24 2017

http://www.bikesebring.org/

John,

Did you do the 6 gap ride in GA this year? How was it?

Why yes I did!!!! :teeth: Had 2 goals in mind, ride first 3 gaps on my 53 tooth chainring with a 12/28 rear cassette and beat last years time-----nailed them both although I caused the current issues with my knees by accomplishing the first goal. All set to ride again next year with just one goal being a faster time.

Are you guys contemplating a ride next year?

12/21/16 update......knees still in question for the marathon. Plan to show up, linger in corral, start with the masses and be passed by everyone including the Balloon Ladies. No McFlurry this time around and most likely my last marathon start. /

John, sorry to hear about your knees. We might have to make a special trip one afternoon to pick up our McFlurries.

Kris, does raking leaves extensively count as cross-training? lol

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone. I celebrated with a 16 mile run and an ice bath. Bert did 9 miles but no ice bath.

Ed, apparently you are correct the half is not running through the castle, per Bert and him scrutinizing the map. Maybe they are trying to do something special for the anniversary, of course the marathon anniversary surprise was a bit of a bust, so not sure.

Now to recover today by walking dogs and then going out for a nice dinner. Planning on pancakes tomorrow for breakfast, an easy elliptical, and then dinner at mom's.

Weather wise looks like it could be a warm one this year.

OH NO!!!! :crutches:BICYCLE CRASH yesterday and I am hurting. No broken neck like in 2011 bicycle crash but definitely hurting and what little brain matter I do have remaining was rattled pretty good too. Helmet smashed and new one already ordered. Waking up every hour during the night so no good solid night's sleep. Oh well, at least I should still be able to start the marathon.

Almost time girls and boys!!!!!

............ and no more bike until AFTER the marathon. :teeth:...................

I lied. :sad2: Went out this AM for an easy 51 mile ride AND DIDN'T CRASH!!!! :yay: Loading up the motorhome and decided to drive the MH to EPCOT parking lot marathon morning at 0230. This way I can mosey over to start and not worry about getting on the bus at the Outpost way early. I also figure I should be able to maintain a 16mpm pace and still stop for my M&M McFlurry since the knees are doing better cause I HAVEN'T TRAINED!!!! :sad2:

I lied. :sad2: Went out this AM for an easy 51 mile ride AND DIDN'T CRASH!!!! :yay: Loading up the motorhome and decided to drive the MH to EPCOT parking lot marathon morning at 0230. This way I can mosey over to start and not worry about getting on the bus at the Outpost way early. I also figure I should be able to maintain a 16mpm pace and still stop for my M&M McFlurry since the knees are doing better cause I HAVEN'T TRAINED!!!! :sad2:

I haven't even met you yet, but you are a hot mess! I love it!!

And I'm late to the party...what is with the mcflurry?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter