Marathon Weekend 2017, and so it begins!!!!

John, are you staying at the fort at all? Bummer if you are not, hope we get to see you.

I may have to agree with ozgood on you being a hot mess but you are still my hero!

I haven't even met you yet, but you are a hot mess! I love it!!

And I'm late to the party...what is with the mcflurry?

When Run Disney changed to the current Marathon course it allowed me to exit Osceola Parkway at the 15 mile mark of the marathon and go to McDonald's for a M&M McFlurry and then re-enter the race. I started to sign my threads with McFlurry John and have gone to McDonald's since.

McFlurry John will return :teeth: in January even with bad knees. I am determined!!!!

Kris- YUP at FW Wednesday AM.

When Run Disney changed to the current Marathon course it allowed me to exit Osceola Parkway at the 15 mile mark of the marathon and go to McDonald's for a M&M McFlurry and then re-enter the race. I started to sign my threads with McFlurry John and have gone to McDonald's since.

McFlurry John will return :teeth: in January even with bad knees. I am determined!!!!
Ha, nice! I once had friends have a Mickey Premium ice cream bar ready for me when I passed through the Studios. I should of had one of the photographers take a picture of that. Good luck to you runners this weekend.

Ha, nice! I once had friends have a Mickey Premium ice cream bar ready for me when I passed through the Studios. I should of had one of the photographers take a picture of that. Good luck to you runners this weekend.

And some runners get invited to the front of the line for Expedition Everest in AK (they are on the clock after all). And others stop for a beer in Germany/World Showcase on their way to the marathon finish line.

The Disney runs make for some really unique opportunities for stops like these for sure, Mad Stitch). Although your idea of chocolate and ice cream is ALWAYS a winner.

Bama Ed

Well we finally made it BUT....pedals for Kathy's bike are back home in the shed. Left my phone/bluetooth charger at home but thankfully Kathy has hers. Left the combo clock with indoor/outdoor temperature display on kitchen counter. Left house at 0900 instead of typical 0500 figuring we would miss the commute traffic but got caught in the "BOZO slow down for no reason" traffic numerous times. Assigned site 1123 having requested 900 loop. Hopped on bus to Outpost to get EXPO bus and got to the Outpost-off the bus-headed over to get the waiting EXPO bus and it leaves before we get to it. Long drive to the EXPO having a very nice conversation with the driver, get off the bus, walk 100 yards, realize I left my ID in the RV -dummy me- so back on the bus. Went to WL for tuna sandwich at Roaring Forks and things finally going better. Another interrupted night of sleep, has happened since broken neck from bicycle crash in 2011 and nothing new, so been up since 0300. MK today then some working on the RV, EPCOT/Disney Springs tomorrow with DD and family coming over for lunch/dinner/visit. EXPO with ID on Saturday and 0230 time of departure from site on Sunday for drive to EPCOT RV marathon parking. Weather forecast for Sunday to be cold but not rainy???? maybe like for Saturday---sorry Kris..if so.

Last edited:
Yeah the weather looks very bad for Saturday. My A+ goal is probably out the window. Still hoping for a PR though.

Maybe the rain will hold off on Saturday till after the race is over? :confused3

John, glad you made it here.

Bama Ed

Well we finally made it BUT....pedals for Kathy's bike are back home in the shed. Left my phone/bluetooth charger at home but thankfully Kathy has hers. Left the combo clock with indoor/outdoor temperature display on kitchen counter. Left house at 0900 instead of typical 0500 figuring we would miss the commute traffic but got caught in the "BOZO slow down for no reason" traffic numerous times. Assigned site 1123 having requested 900 loop. Hopped on bus to Outpost to get EXPO bus and got to the Outpost-off the bus-headed over to get the waiting EXPO bus and it leaves before we get to it. Long drive to the EXPO having a very nice conversation with the driver, get off the bus, walk 100 yards, realize I left my ID in the RV -dummy me- so back on the bus. Went to WL for tuna sandwich at Roaring Forks and things finally going better. Another interrupted night of sleep, has happened since broken neck from bicycle crash in 2011 and nothing new, so been up since 0300. MK today then some working on the RV, EPCOT/Disney Springs tomorrow with DD and family coming over for lunch/dinner/visit. EXPO with ID on Saturday and 0230 time of departure from site on Sunday for drive to EPCOT RV marathon parking. Weather forecast for Sunday to be cold but not rainy???? maybe like for Saturday---sorry Kris..if so.

I absolutely love that you can take all of this in stride! You are really going to deserve that McFlurry!

I'll be going over to WWOS this afternoon to pick up my bib, turn in my waiver, and collect my t-shirt. I will have to run the gauntlet of vendors because the entrance is at the front of the building and the t-shirt pick-up is WAYYYYY at the back. These folks know what they're doing.

Bama Ed

I'll be going over to WWOS this afternoon to pick up my bib, turn in my waiver, and collect my t-shirt. I will have to run the gauntlet of vendors because the entrance is at the front of the building and the t-shirt pick-up is WAYYYYY at the back. These folks know what they're doing.

Bama Ed
Yeah, we just left there from the kids races. It's a zoo right now. This afternoon is your best bet. And, yes, Disney had a plan when they put it in the same hall and way in the back as the vendors.

I'm sure you all got the same email about the race and lightening. Has this ever happened before? I had friends with the tuff mudder that this happened to and they let them reschedule to another event. Will run Disney do this if they have to cancel it? Just curious if anyone knows

I'm sure you all got the same email about the race and lightening. Has this ever happened before? I had friends with the tuff mudder that this happened to and they let them reschedule to another event. Will run Disney do this if they have to cancel it? Just curious if anyone knows

Yes, the 2015 Wine and Dine had lightening. They had everyone leave the starting corrals and take shelter in the sports complexes. After a delayed start they cut the course short resulting in a 7 mile (approximately) race.

All I can say is be prepared to get wet. They will do everything they can to have the race but Mother Nature is unpredictable.

Just got back from the Expo. Quick in and out but the highlight was meeting Jeff Galloway (the creator of the run-walk method for Half and Full Marathons) and getting my picture with him. He's going to be in Gulf Shores at the end of this month for their Half which I am signed up for.

Bama Ed

I just read the Saturday run was cancelled on the TR thread. Sorry guys, I know this stinks.

Yes I just saw it too. People have choices to run the Full (space limited), defer to a later Disney race in the next 24 months, take 2 1-day hopper tickets, or a refund.

It was due to the possibility of lightning.

Bama Ed

Yes, I have not decided if I will do the full. I am trading for NOLA full on feb 5. I have a 16 mile run in so I could do it. Just not sure if I want to jeopardize that. If I don't do the full I will be doing 12 miles here at the fort. As I said in the TR thread, feel free to hand me Powerade if you see me.

Well they might have a decision to make about the Full as well. It's supposed to get down to 30F Saturday night/Sunday morning and with 14mph winds the "Real Feel" temperature on Accuweather is 17F at 5am. (They call that "wind chill" back home). That might be comfortable for standing around for hours if you're a penguin but I'm not (although I am shaped like one).

Bama Ed

Disappointing for sure, but still better to be on the safe side. Just one less race for Kris to totally crush my time. Just cracked a beer (New Belgium Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ale - tastes artificial, can't recommend) to drown my sorrows.

Somehow I think she'll manage to convince me to do 10 miles tomorrow - other races to train for!

Bert

Look Ed, one more post and I'll hit double digits!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter