Is anyone cruising with me on the August 27th 2011 Meditteranean Cruise? Hellooooo?

I just read it on google! Info correct,planning strike,but have meeting tomorrow to come to a compromise!?????????????

If this strike becomes official? Will Disney help us in any way?

For us,this would mean our 2nd flight changes x 4 flights (chargable,and if space available on flights as all passengers around world effected and facing dilema) may also mean sitting at Athens airport for upto 10 hrs for a connection flight????? We will also need an additional extra hotel night and again new transportation as well as the one we have already had to pay on 26th from our cruise cancellation! Husband also difficulty in leaving work!

This will effect all flights from midnight 25th-27th and may become even earlier/later dates . I know that the majority are flying in on 26th/27th arrivals according to disboards???? Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can this be happening 2+ weeks to go!!!!!!!:scared1:

Anyone else,seriously worried!:confused3:sad2::rolleyes1:eek:

The first day of the strike is the day the Pope is to land for World Youth Day. So this does give us some time to see if the strike gets averted. Is it possible for the airlines to land in another country and drive over to Barcelona? I don't even know the proximities to other airports with regards to BCN.

We are flying into Paris from Cincinnati on the 25th, arriving the morning of the 26th. Then a connection to Barcelona. There is a train that leaves Paris the evening of the 26th and arrives in Barcelona the morning of the 27th. That train runs about $244.00 pp. Another option would be to see if you can get a flight into Nice, France. That is a 5 hour drive to Barcelona. Not sure about a train connection but it may be an option. I'm going to check into what the fee would be to change our flight to the 24th, arriving on the 25th.

Why can't this just be easy!!! :eek:

We are flying into Paris from Cincinnati on the 25th, arriving the morning of the 26th. Then a connection to Barcelona. There is a train that leaves Paris the evening of the 26th and arrives in Barcelona the morning of the 27th. That train runs about $244.00 pp. Another option would be to see if you can get a flight into Nice, France. That is a 5 hour drive to Barcelona. Not sure about a train connection but it may be an option. I'm going to check into what the fee would be to change our flight to the 24th, arriving on the 25th.

Why can't this just be easy!!! :eek:

I too am flying From Paris on Aug 26, my backup plan is the train to Nice. Would miss the first day if the cruise though.:confused3

Fingers crossed for everyone.

We had similar concerns before our May cruise, but that strike was settled before our travel dates. I suspect that it will be the same this time. I would advise waiting to see how it pans out before taking drastic action to change travel plans.

pirate:

I am pretty sure that they are gonna want to get this taken care of before the Pope arrives. That would be priority, in my opinion. So I am not too worried. I have called my trip insurance and they said that if our flights are delayed past 6 hrs, we get compensated a daily rate. Then if we miss the cruise all together cause of the flights, then it would be considered trip interruption, and we would get 150% refund. Even though this is a dream vacation, I am not going to stress about it, thank goodness for trip insurance. Only time will tell, and especially on the 18th.

I've had a couple of texts from my friend who is currently on the 7 night cruise identical to ours. She had the dress code for all nights is cruise casual with the exception of night 6 which is the formal night.
I guess they decided to switch the formal night to the sea day & ditch the semi formal.
I have to switch my dress plans as there is no way my dress will fit by night 6 which will be day 8 of my holiday! Never mind-as long as we all get there!

Again I'm worried about the strikes....last year we had to cancel our vacation to Spain also because of the strikes, so I hope they will solve this before the 26th of august. We're flying friday night/saturday morning.

Good news, I 've found someone who posted the 7 day med cruise navigators, seems we have a lot to do, hopefully there's enough time to go on shore ;)
they can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151935@N06/
thanks to janiebubble for posting it:thumbsup2.

Fingers crossed!

I've had a couple of texts from my friend who is currently on the 7 night cruise identical to ours. She had the dress code for all nights is cruise casual with the exception of night 6 which is the formal night.
I guess they decided to switch the formal night to the sea day & ditch the semi formal.
I have to switch my dress plans as there is no way my dress will fit by night 6 which will be day 8 of my holiday! Never mind-as long as we all get there!

I'm with you there, def won't fit in the frock so I am contemplating either not bothering bringing it or trying to find a cheap alternative in a bigger size whilst meadowhall still has sales on.

Again I'm worried about the strikes....last year we had to cancel our vacation to Spain also because of the strikes, so I hope they will solve this before the 26th of august. We're flying friday night/saturday morning.

Good news, I 've found someone who posted the 7 day med cruise navigators, seems we have a lot to do, hopefully there's enough time to go on shore ;)
they can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/66151935@N06/
thanks to janiebubble for posting it:thumbsup2.

Fingers crossed!

I looked through these navigators yesterday, I'm quite pleased with whats available. Especially the free shuttle bus in Palma which will be very useful. I also noticed that it said Shutters photographers will be at the Leaning Tower, Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum so looks like might have to upgrade the 10 credit package to a 20 after all.:rolleyes1

I'm with you there, def won't fit in the frock so I am contemplating either not bothering bringing it or trying to find a cheap alternative in a bigger size whilst meadowhall still has sales on.

Lots of bargains to be had in Meadowhall-I was there twice last week!! I'm live in Chesterfield-are you from Sheffield?

Lots of bargains to be had in Meadowhall-I was there twice last week!! I'm live in Chesterfield-are you from Sheffield?

I live in Barnsley so it only takes me 20 minutes straight down the M1. I've been trying to stick to a strict budget for this holiday but I will have to get a new dress. I've already bought a proper gown but being realistic its not going to happen so I'll see what I can get for £30 in the sale. The gown will save until next time. Although thinking on the positive side this cruise will be very active with lots of walking so I hope not to add the extra 8lbs that went on our last cruise (which still hasn't shifted).
Joy

Hi everyone,

Time has flown and the cruise is getting so close! I apologize that I haven't posted our cabin number (6562) until now for the FE exchange. I also pm'd the cabin number and my email to dizmomof2 for the FE list.

I hope to post a bit over the next couple of weeks and I will give the kids my log in info so that they can say hello on the kids thread.

Have a great day! :thumbsup2

Laura

Thanks for the heads up everyone on this. I just got off the phone with Disney. They told me they are not concerned yet because it is merely the threat of a strike not an actual strike itself. However, if the baggage handlers do strike, Disney has a way around the strike and people to get our luggage for us. I did make my flight arrangements thru Disney so I do not know if this applies to everyone.

I think I will also call Delta Airlines to get their take on this.

Thanks for the heads up everyone on this. I just got off the phone with Disney. They told me they are not concerned yet because it is merely the threat of a strike not an actual strike itself. However, if the baggage handlers do strike, Disney has a way around the strike and people to get our luggage for us. I did make my flight arrangements thru Disney so I do not know if this applies to everyone.

I think I will also call Delta Airlines to get their take on this.
We have Disney transfers from the airport to our hotel. We booked a pre-cruise hotel thru Disney so I would think they would also pick up our lugguage since we are using them as transfers. As long as the plane will land, then it seems like our lugguage will be taken care of. I guess my question is will the planes still land in Barcelona?

I just spoke to Delta. Their response was similar to Disney: It is just a threat of a strike not an actual strike at this point. We have the option to change our flight to the day earlier or just wait and see. Delta also said if it is just the baggage handlers who are on strike the plane will land and there is a way to get the luggage. Delta further said that most of the time negotiations do resolve the issue before the strike actually happens.

Seems the air traffic controllers called off their strike so hopefully the baggage handlers will also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302266/Phew-Spains-air-traffic-controllers-strike.html

I certainly haven't heard any news of the strikes being called off as yet. Indeed there seems to be a distinct lack of information in general, although it does seem to be permeating the news media as the days go on. Here are some of the links I've found, all seem to be saying similar things. There does however seem to be some conflict over whether this is two 24 hour strikes, or whether the strikes will both last 48 hours...

Daily Mail updated story - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...l-chaos-thanks-planned-industrial-action.html

The Telegraph has now picked up on it - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...el-chaos-as-Spanish-airport-strikes-loom.html

Repeated on AOL - http://travel.aol.co.uk/2011/08/08/...-60-000-spanish-airport-workers-call-strikes/

And a spanish radio station - http://www.vibespain.com/?p=1937

I just spoke to Delta. Their response was similar to Disney: It is just a threat of a strike not an actual strike at this point. We have the option to change our flight to the day earlier or just wait and see. Delta also said if it is just the baggage handlers who are on strike the plane will land and there is a way to get the luggage. Delta further said that most of the time negotiations do resolve the issue before the strike actually happens.

Seems the air traffic controllers called off their strike so hopefully the baggage handlers will also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302266/Phew-Spains-air-traffic-controllers-strike.html

ptkelly, did Delta mention if there would be an additional fee to change your flight? I checked online and they wanted to charge an extra 1300.00 to change our flights to the previous day. But, I haven't called c/s yet to verify for this situation. Thanks, Carol

Today hit 40-42 heat wave!hot/hot/hot

Still confused as to dress code evening? are shorts etc allowed or not?
Disney states NOT,yet reports saying very casual (except for formal night)

I also pressume that final FE list has not been posted or confirmed as see cabins providing new cabin numbers etc to Dizmom for FE list?

I am so relieved of strike being cancelled! Now,can sleep again at night!
Although,will check with airline!

Is the wine meeting going ahead? When & where?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter