Is anyone cruising with me on the August 27th 2011 Meditteranean Cruise? Hellooooo?

My Dad has traveled all over the world to some very poor and scary countries, but the only place he was ever pickpocketed in was Rome. He also had his wallet in his front pocket and took his hand out for just a second and it was gone as was his friends that they were travelling with. While on the way to the police station to report the theft the friends wife had her purse unzipped but they didn't have time to steal anything as she had let go of her zipper just to grab the bar on the subway to steady herself then right back to her purse. It was amazing how fast they were!:scared1:

When the got to the police station to report the theft the officer said, "Let me guess, you had your wallet in your front pocket." Whenthey agreed they had all the officers around just rolled their eyes and he was informed that the police think that the pickpockets put out to keep your wallet in your front pocket as it is a much easier pocket to pick.

Take what you want from it but we don't keep wallets in the front pocket anymore and I bought a purse and a backpack from pacsafe for the trip as I don't want to go through what they did!:sad2:
That's interesting. We will stick with what works for us, especially, like Halo says, everything we have heard is not what the police told your father. It is hard to be 100% sure though, that is for sure.

Ironically, what we heard a few times was that pacsafe bags are NOT good because most purses thefts are simple snatches--which doesn't matter the bag and only matters how cautious you are with it. We were told in both Rome and Barcelona and thieves see that brand as a signal that you likely have a lot of cash and are more likely to snatch it if given the opportunity than a more generic bag. Yet, I know other articles and people swear by them. SO I guess you can never really know:lmao:
You do not have enough post to pm me or receive pm's. I left you a message on your visitors board. Click on you name in the top right of your screen and it will show you your messages. Email me and I will send you the FE list.:thumbsup2 Let me know if the instructions don't make sense.
Or, wmgbfiddle, you can psot a few nonsense posts on here. Once you have a post count of 10 you can send and receive PMs.:thumbsup2

We bought a small, cross body paksafe bag that Jason will carry the money in. I am a little anxious about pickpocketing but we will just be as careful as possible and hope for the best. On a happier note I have just come home from buying my canon 550d twin lens camera! (that's a rebel t2i for the Americans) The battery is charging now so I will start learning my way around it tonight. I went with a "case logic" bag. It was a bit pricy but it has a waterproof base and the camera seems to be very well protected in a little sling. I hope I can figure out how to take photos with it now.....

Congratulations on your new purchase! You are going to LOVE ii!

Has everyone been following economic demonstrations in Barcelona????????Started riots/demos on Friday night!?? As I previous mentioned, I was expecting this in both Spain and Italy,but was hoping things would be delayed till after our cruise?????? Info on Google
Demonstrations in spain!

Do you have any links to this Dianne? I did not see it on the news this morning and a cursory google search and check of major (US and British based) news sites did not show it in any easy to find places. I keep coming up with stuff on the riots from last year in September.

put on google! Barcelona demonstrations

All info there from news/newspapers etc
It started on Fri night over Euro etc (same problems as ourselves)
I saw it on our International news yesterday and decided to look google today!
I did not realize that Barcelona is at the centre of it all!

put on google! Barcelona demonstrations

All info there from news/newspapers etc
It started on Fri night over Euro etc (same problems as ourselves)
I saw it on our International news yesterday and decided to look google today!
I did not realize that Barcelona is at the centre of it all!

I Googled as per Diane's suggestion. Numerous articles popped up. Irish Times, CNA, Economic Newspaper all have articles from the Friday demonstrations. Hopefully, they get this out of the way before we arrive!

I Googled as per Diane's suggestion. Numerous articles popped up. Irish Times, CNA, Economic Newspaper all have articles from the Friday demonstrations. Hopefully, they get this out of the way before we arrive!
I have googled and am not seeing this info. The only article I can find are protests in Madrid, not Barcelona. As long as there is NOT an air traffic controllers strike, I will roll with it.:headache:

We bought a small, cross body paksafe bag that Jason will carry the money in. I am a little anxious about pickpocketing but we will just be as careful as possible and hope for the best. On a happier note I have just come home from buying my canon 550d twin lens camera! (that's a rebel t2i for the Americans) The battery is charging now so I will start learning my way around it tonight. I went with a "case logic" bag. It was a bit pricy but it has a waterproof base and the camera seems to be very well protected in a little sling. I hope I can figure out how to take photos with it now.....

I have had the Canon T2i for a year now. I purchased the 18 - 200mm lens for Xmas. I love the combination. I don't think I have used any other lens since I received it. I also have the Case Logic case. I like that it has the water proof bottom. I have read several travel logs and many of my favorite pictures are taken with the 18 - 200mm lens so I am excited about that. I am sure you are going to LOVE your new camera. My best piece of advice ... if you are new to DSLRs, read a little bit on how to adjust your ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed to be able to get the shot you want. Using the Green Automatic mode won't quite do it. Best of Luck!:banana:

I have googled and am not seeing this info. The only article I can find are protests in Madrid, not Barcelona. As long as there is NOT an air traffic controllers strike, I will roll with it.:headache:

All I can find is the stuff on Madrid too:confused3 (or Barcelona from May or last September)Funny how different people get hits for different things. Anyway, the US department of State is saying these are PLANNED strikes and will end on 12 August--I am hoping that is reliable information (where is a crossing fingers smilie when you need it?).

Do not worry,as I am closest, I will prob be first to hear on our news and I am keeping up-to-date daily on news!
Relax, it took over 2 years for us Greeks to hit the fan!
Anyway, I am sure that if issues arise,Disney will have plan B

The only thing you need to worry about is if airport is ever blocked or fuel trucks cannot deliver fuel to airport!as causes delays and some disruption to flights!

otherwise,diversions will be allocated as standard proceedure!

As tourists, you should be safe,providing you stay out of Med Demos!Use common sense,this is not about you as tourists (eg do not try to take photos of Demos),but our struggle in EU to survive and provide for our families! If anything,natives will advise you and direct and protect you on alternative routes to take!

Tourists are one of our priorities, we rely on!
I know easy for me to say as I am Med and highly experienced being Greek,but I am also Brit,so look at both prospectives from local and tourism!
All relax,do not make comments regarding economical situation in public about Greece/Italy/Spain as we are close countries/Allies!

Anything happens,will let you know!day by day! As here this is daily news at momment!

Hi, someone back from the first 7 night med has posted on the main boards. The dinner menus and order is the same as I predicted:

1. rotational, All aboard show
2. Prince and princess, Twice charmed show
3. rotational, Villains show
4. rotational, The art of the story show
5. Pirates, Magician
6. Captains Gala, Dreams show
7. Till we meet again, Remember the Magic.

Just annoyed that I have Palo booked for night 3 when the Villains show is the only one we've not seen that I really want to. Just have to hope our excursion will be back in time for the first showing.
Joy

Hi, someone back from the first 7 night med has posted on the main boards. The dinner menus and order is the same as I predicted:

1. rotational, All aboard show
2. Prince and princess, Twice charmed show
3. rotational, Villains show
4. rotational, The art of the story show
5. Pirates, Magician
6. Captains Gala, Dreams show
7. Till we meet again, Remember the Magic.

Just annoyed that I have Palo booked for night 3 when the Villains show is the only one we've not seen that I really want to. Just have to hope our excursion will be back in time for the first showing.
Joy

Thanks for posting this:thumbsup2 If you are really worried about seeing Villians, you could try to change your Palo reservation once you are on board. Especially CHANGING and not starting fresh seems to be a little easier to do :goodvibes

Speaking of riots and demonstrations--first I hope that all of our UK posters are safely far away from the issues last night. Secondly, can some of you there tell me if that area is anywhere near Heathrow, or between Essex and Heathrow? Rio is coming home from camp today, and i am being a worried mom now.

Tottenham is North-ish London, whilst Heathrow is to the West. Neither do you have to go through Tottenham to reach Heathrow from Essex, I'd assume you'd just use the M25, so I'd imagine there won't be any problems.

As far as the rotation goes, I had thought that formal night was the second night onboard, although by the post in this thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42149629&posted=1#post42149629 - it seems that it is the sixth night (the night I thought was semi-formal). Am I remembering correctly, or have I gotten wires crossed??:confused3

I'm just waiting and hoping that someone will post the Navigators from the 7 night so we can all get a better idea of what activities will happen when.

Tottenham is North-ish London, whilst Heathrow is to the West. Neither do you have to go through Tottenham to reach Heathrow from Essex, I'd assume you'd just use the M25, so I'd imagine there won't be any problems.

As far as the rotation goes, I had thought that formal night was the second night onboard, although by the post in this thread - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=42149629&posted=1#post42149629 - it seems that it is the sixth night (the night I thought was semi-formal). Am I remembering correctly, or have I gotten wires crossed??:confused3

I'm just waiting and hoping that someone will post the Navigators from the 7 night so we can all get a better idea of what activities will happen when.

Hi, formal night is the second night, that is when we have the prince/princess menu. The captains gala is semi-formal which is on the sea day although on the thread that is on the main board someone mentions them not having a semi formal night, maybe a lot simply did not dress up. It looks like the no character breakfast is also confirmed.

Hadley I think that the riot was an isolated thing I don't think you have anything to worry about with regards to Rio, I had not even heard about it and went to look it up after reading your post.

Joy

Reading the other posts from the first 7 nighters it does say that the captains gala night was formal night ie night 6 but it is usually the prince and princess menu which accompanies the formal night, I would have thought the menus would have changed with the day:confused3 Sorry Venny for previous post I am now as confused as you. I was really hoping for it to be the 2nd night as I know the formal wear will be far too tight by night 6, possibility of not fitting in it at all.
Joy

Rio has made it home--thanks for the reassurances Venny and Joy. Funny how the news can blow things out of proportion (it was the lead story on cnn.com this morning:rotfl:). Anyway, Rio had a great week and is begging to go back every year.:thumbsup2

Joy--I think your comment about formal wear not fitting is both funny and a bit too close to home:lmao: I wonder why they switched the nights:confused3

Rio has made it home--thanks for the reassurances Venny and Joy. Funny how the news can blow things out of proportion (it was the lead story on cnn.com this morning:rotfl:). Anyway, Rio had a great week and is begging to go back every year.:thumbsup2

Joy--I think your comment about formal wear not fitting is both funny and a bit too close to home:lmao: I wonder why they switched the nights:confused3

I was in London for the weekend-staying with family a few miles from the incident. It was very isolated and didn't stop us having a fab time in London. Bet it feels great to have him home though!

I was a bridesmaid in March & planned to wear my dress for formal night. It is going to be nil by mouth & lots of sessions as the gym to fit back into to it as after the wedding my good intentions to keep up my diet faded fast! If it is night 6 I might as well leave it at home as it will never fit!

Tracey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter