IRENE, what is going on in your area

We are here on Long Island and as of now, it's raining and not terribly windy. My husband did a major food shopping yesterday and we have plenty of candles, flashlights, etc.

A good tip I heard was that if you need to secure paperwork/important papers, photos, etc and you can't bring them with you if you need to evacuate, you can store them in a plastic enclosure and then put them in your dishwasher which is water-tight.

My question - my little guy has shrubs right outside his window, pretty much growing against his window. There is also an A/C installed in his window. Is this good about the shrubs, or not optimal? Otherwise, I would have him sleep in our room. Although there are windows in there too.

Rain started here in Bucks County, PA, which is north of Philly, around 2 pm. It is heavy at times and the wind is blowing it sideways. It comes and goes. The worse is due to come overnight. Neshaminy Creek which is 1/2 mile down the road is due to have major flooding. It runs into the Delaware River, which is due to flood also. They are predicting up to 12 inches of rain...hoping it is an exageration! We're hoping for the best! School starts Monday, so we will see if this affects that as well.

I noticed that, too. :)

The winds are just starting to pick up here for us, we're about 15miles from the del. bay and right outside Cape May Co, our family is from Cape May so their all up here staying with us. We have the tornado warning until 8pm (like a pp mentioned) hoping we dont lose power.

Thanks for reminding me. The tornado warning is almost over for now. Our block has so many family and friends staying with them it looks like a block party.

We are just about 8 miles inland from Seaside Heights, its going to be a long night and day, I pray everyone safe, and the power stays on, I need distractions!!

We are here on Long Island and as of now, it's raining and not terribly windy. My husband did a major food shopping yesterday and we have plenty of candles, flashlights, etc.

A good tip I heard was that if you need to secure paperwork/important papers, photos, etc and you can't bring them with you if you need to evacuate, you can store them in a plastic enclosure and then put them in your dishwasher which is water-tight.

My question - my little guy has shrubs right outside his window, pretty much growing against his window. There is also an A/C installed in his window. Is this good about the shrubs, or not optimal? Otherwise, I would have him sleep in our room. Although there are windows in there too.

I plan to sleep in living room, more space from windows. I suggest you find room like that in your house an sleep there, all of you.

I had a question for the Brooklyn people, it looks like on the map they required mandatory evacuations for all the waterfront areas. I wonder how far in that goes? One block, two blocks or what?

Specifically I used to live (years ago) in Brooklyn Hts. and am wondering if they had to evacuate just the homes near the promenade or several blocks inland? My first apt. was on Columbia Hts. - just a block from the promenade and the second one on Pineapple, a few blocks from the promenade. I can't imagine wanting to ride it out if I still lived there.

Alexandria, VA (just outside of DC) Fairly steady rain and wind. Safely hunckered down in my 12th floor condo, so not too concerned about any flooding. There will be flooding in Old Town down by the Potomac River. So far, not as bad as the prognasticators predicted. Nothing on TV as all the networks have hurricane coverage.

To those of you in Ocean City, MD- best of luck. The Eastern Shore is in my prayers. I grew up just north of Salisbury and I know the area well.

Alexandria, VA (just outside of DC) Fairly steady rain and wind. Safely hunckered down in my 12th floor condo, so not too concerned about any flooding. There will be flooding in Old Town down by the Potomac River. So far, not as bad as the prognasticators predicted. Nothing on TV as all the networks have hurricane coverage.

To those of you in Ocean City, MD- best of luck. The Eastern Shore is in my prayers. I grew up just north of Salisbury and I know the area well.

Hi! We go to Ocean City every summer. It looks like from the photo's that the ocean water is under the boardwalk. It is usually about a 250 foot walk to the ocean from the boardwalk....I hope all the eastern resort towns and NYC will be okay.

Could you access the photo's? Thanks! And Be Safe! Brunette

I'm in Marine Park Brooklyn, NY and the rain seems to be on and off. It gets really strong but right now it seems to be slacking a bit. I don't know how winds are. We are in Zone C, so no evacuations here. I hope it will be okay. I'm 14 so this is the first hurricane I remember, and I'm not going to lie - I'm scared. :sad1:

I had a question for the Brooklyn people, it looks like on the map they required mandatory evacuations for all the waterfront areas. I wonder how far in that goes? One block, two blocks or what?

Specifically I used to live (years ago) in Brooklyn Hts. and am wondering if they had to evacuate just the homes near the promenade or several blocks inland? My first apt. was on Columbia Hts. - just a block from the promenade and the second one on Pineapple, a few blocks from the promenade. I can't imagine wanting to ride it out if I still lived there.

Hi Rhonna, here is the link you can use to find out about zones, just enter your old address. http://gis.nyc.gov/oem/he/index.htm

Here in central NJ it is raining steadily, but still no wind...I'm just waiting for something to happen...kinda nerve-wracking!

:sunny:

Rain started here in Bucks County, PA, which is north of Philly, around 2 pm. It is heavy at times and the wind is blowing it sideways. It comes and goes. The worse is due to come overnight. Neshaminy Creek which is 1/2 mile down the road is due to have major flooding. It runs into the Delaware River, which is due to flood also. They are predicting up to 12 inches of rain...hoping it is an exageration! We're hoping for the best! School starts Monday, so we will see if this affects that as well.

I saw you say you're from Bucks County when I was glancing through posts - my grandma is in Bristol. :goodvibes

For those of you who are going to head to bed before the bulk of the storm hits you, keep a flash light next to your bed!!! :idea::idea::idea:

You will need this in the event your electric goes out in the middle of the night. It will be dark and you will be in bed. You will not be able to get to your flash lights and candles. If you have children, give them each a flash light as well. I know this sounds silly, but I have been there done that.. and nothing worse than waking up to no electric when it is dark! Down here, just the severe storms we get in the summer knock our power out at times. I always sleep with a flash light just under my bed (would be under the section of my pillow, but under the bed). This way I know exactly where to get it, in the event I go to turn on my bedside light and there is no electric..

I plan to sleep in living room, more space from windows. I suggest you find room like that in your house an sleep there, all of you.

very smart move!!! if you can, block yourself by placing furniture between you guys & the windows..if not totally blocking the window like I said earlier.. also, keep that flash light right next to you too...

I am right outside of Philly. Been raining here since about 2 pm. I am already getting some small amounts of water in my basement and the worst is yet to come. rain has been heavy at times but seems like winds are picking up more now too. Just hoping not to lose power.

I'm in Marine Park Brooklyn, NY and the rain seems to be on and off. It gets really strong but right now it seems to be slacking a bit. I don't know how winds are. We are in Zone C, so no evacuations here. I hope it will be okay. I'm 14 so this is the first hurricane I remember, and I'm not going to lie - I'm scared. :sad1:

God Bless you.. and at 54, I would be scared too.. :grouphug: You will be fine.. just stay away from the windows and do what your parents tell you to do.. if you ever had to listen to them..... this is the time to do so :thumbsup2

We are here in Columbia, MD. Right near by. We have some pretty steady and strong winds and steady rain but nothing like I had anticipated. I think this will be a bigger issue as far as flooding is concerned.

brunette8706 I hope you are not near main street in Ellicott City because I know that is a common flood area. Either way positive thoughts for everyone going through this. :grouphug:

The power is starting to flicker now, and the rain is getting very heavy. The tornado alert is over. The winds are getting a lot stronger. I am turning everything off now.

We are here in Columbia, MD. Right near by. We have some pretty steady and strong winds and steady rain but nothing like I had anticipated. I think this will be a bigger issue as far as flooding is concerned.

brunette8706 I hope you are not near main street in Ellicott City because I know that is a common flood area. Either way positive thoughts for everyone going through this. :grouphug:

Hi Disney Spaz!

No we are above that. I'm right near you. I'm right off of 29. The end of 29! Did you see the pictures I posted of Ocean City Maryland? It's on the previous page. Rain seems to be coming down harder and it seems like the wind is picking up! Say safe and keep dry.

Glad to see some neighbors on the forum. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter