IRENE, what is going on in your area

KellyNY

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

Just like many others I am sitting here preparing for Irene to hit my home here in Brooklyn, NY.
I am starting this thread for our updates on situation.
Anyone is welcome to write about their observations, updates, anything you want to share. Those of you who already experience Irene, let us know what is going on in your area and be safe.

I will start,
Brooklyn, oceanview property, just few blocks from water but not in evacuation zone, high floor, perfect view of waves.

3;15 PM
Periods of rain, not much of the wind so far, clouds move pretty fast suggesting stronger wind higher. So far it does not feel any different from any rainy day.
Public trasportation has been shut down as of noon today.
Zone A, which is basically low areas next to water were evacuated.

Please share what you see and be safe.

To Moderators,
This threa does not belong on this board but since it is the most active board and so many of us are being affected by Irene, please do not move it till it is over. Thank you.

We are located north of Raleigh, NC and we are in the fringe of the Hurricane. There is tons of limb debris and a few trees on houses. Again we are on the fringe. If you are going to be near the eye, take precautions!

I live about 15 minutes south of Philadelphia, just west of 95. Right now steady rain and very little wind - like any other rainy day. I know rougher weather is on the way but I'm surprised that we haven't gotten it yet.

In Philly, PA area...winds are starting to pick up a little. It's pretty cloudy out and it was lightly raining a little bit earlier. Other than that, not much else going on right now. I think the news said we won't really get hit until around late tonight.

SW Fl (no Irene here) but just wanted to come on and say to all that I hope you guys all remain safe.. from what I am hearing here, you guys in NY have to watch for flooding..
I have been trying to keep in touch with my family & friends up there via face book (easier than calling everyone). From what I am hearing, most are adhering to the warnings too.. they have cleared off the shelves @ the supermarkets.. sounds like here in FL when they warn us..
Stay safe guys... and KellyNY.. please keep me updated on how you are!!!:goodvibes

We are located north of Raleigh, NC and we are in the fringe of the Hurricane. There is tons of limb debris and a few trees on houses. Again we are on the fringe. If you are going to be near the eye, take precautions!

Thank you for your input. debris is what concerns me the most, with such a strong wind it can do a lot of damage. Be safe.

South Jersey - Inland of Atlantic City
We are having steady, sometimes heavy, rain with increasing winds. We are ready for loss of power, have extra water and food. I haven't seen a car on our street in a few hours so hopefully people are staying indoors.

3:42 pm
Staten Island. Very overcast but no rain. We had some heavy rain about an hour or so ago but it now has stopped.
My dh just called me from Sears and has a generator, which he has been wanting to purchase so glad he found one.

Leaving for BLT on Wednesday evening so hope all is well and we can go.

Stay safe everyone!

South Jersey, just a few minutes outside Cape May Co.
3:45...heavy rain, but no wind as of yet.

Reading, PA - Drizzle but no wind yet. Live right on the river so expecting the worst and hoping for the best!

We're about 40 miles inland in MA, but the track of the center of the storm is going to be uncomfortably close.

The remnants of Hannah put a tree on top of our house (fortunately only with punctures to the roof and no structural damage), so it has us somewhat paranoid.

Pasadena MD (between Baltimore and Annapolis) 4:00pm: Strong winds here and moderately heavy rain. It has significantly increased in the past half hour. I live about 10 minutes from the Chesapeake Bay and a block and a half from a large creek.

Lots of branches in the road ways, traffic lights are out in several places, some people in MD have already lost power, though I still have power, large puddles are starting to form and make some roads almost impossible to go thru in cars (I haven't witnessed this personally, but my mother just got to her house in the same area as me about 15 minutes ago).

Everyone please stay off the roads and be safe!

SW Fl (no Irene here) but just wanted to come on and say to all that I hope you guys all remain safe.. from what I am hearing here, you guys in NY have to watch for flooding..
I have been trying to keep in touch with my family & friends up there via face book (easier than calling everyone). From what I am hearing, most are adhering to the warnings too.. they have cleared off the shelves @ the supermarkets.. sounds like here in FL when they warn us..
Stay safe guys... and KellyNY.. please keep me updated on how you are!!!:goodvibes

Hi Mickeyfan and thank you for your kind words.

As you know, we felt earthquake here this week and news of hurricane was a second shock to us as we usually do not have either. On Thursday when I did my emergency shopping, it all felt so unreal and many people looked lost and mentally unprepared. On Friday I saw empty shelves and much less people in stores while much more on roads, hopefully leaving to safety.

I did shopping, so plenty of food, water and candles. I tied everything on my balcony and removed everything that can fly. Hoping for better.

So far, as of 4;12PM there are no changes, still rain an still not much of the wind. Stay safe everyone.

Hi KELLY!

Brunette here, we're in Ellicott City, near Columbia and Baltimore. It's a hard rain coming down, some wind. Luckily the power is still on!

Be Safe in NYC! I understand they evacuated 300k people. :grouphug:

Brrunette

Here in central NJ we have steady drizzle and no wind at all (yet).

KellyNY, where in Brooklyn are you? My parents still live in Brooklyn, about 3 minutes from Kings Plaza mall.

:sunny:

Ocean City Md: pretty windy here and seems to be picking up. flooding. Some areas around are without power. Has rained hard since this am. So far it hasn't been as bad as I thought, but I know we have a way to go.

Hi KELLY!

Brunette here, we're in Ellicott City, near Columbia and Baltimore. It's a hard rain coming down, some wind. Luckily the power is still on!

Be Safe in NYC! I understand they evacuated 300k people. :grouphug:

Brrunette

Hi Brunette,

They said they can shut power down later, hope they will not. I would hate to be without fridge and TV. Stay safe.

Here in central NJ we have steady drizzle and no wind at all (yet).

KellyNY, where in Brooklyn are you? My parents still live in Brooklyn, about 3 minutes from Kings Plaza mall.

Hi Phyllis, I am in Bensonhurst area. I hope your parents do not live in Mill Basin, although great area, very high risk for flood. I hope you an your parents will be safe.

Johnston County, NC (South and East of Raleigh). Power went out this morning at 5 am but came back on at 7:45ish am. Right now we have a steady rain and breeze with periods of extreme wind. We are still have the occasional power issue. It will go off and then come right back on. We have unplugged most of our electronics to protect them from the power fluctuation.

Our yard has some small twigs and tons of leaves but other than that, we are looking pretty good. But our subdivision has mostly small, younger trees. We have not left the house and there are not really any cars in our neighborhood.

I am just ready for this to finish. I hope it keeps weakening and doesn't cause any more damage. The news is full of the coastal region and it does not look good! :sad1:

Hi gang,
Stuck at work. The FDNY is in full operations, right now. A little drizzle here in Nyc, otherwise not much. stuck at the fire house untill who knows when.

No, they are not in Mill Basin, thankfully - they used to live in Boro Park, then Dyker Heights - not sure what their current neighborhood is called! I hope you and your family stay safe as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter