IRENE, what is going on in your area

For those of you who are going to head to bed before the bulk of the storm hits you, keep a flash light next to your bed!!! :idea::idea::idea:

You will need this in the event your electric goes out in the middle of the night. It will be dark and you will be in bed. You will not be able to get to your flash lights and candles. If you have children, give them each a flash light as well. I know this sounds silly, but I have been there done that.. and nothing worse than waking up to no electric when it is dark! Down here, just the severe storms we get in the summer knock our power out at times. I always sleep with a flash light just under my bed (would be under the section of my pillow, but under the bed). This way I know exactly where to get it, in the event I go to turn on my bedside light and there is no electric..

Thanks for useful tips. I got few from another FL resient just now. Put some tape on windows in cross like patern, suppose to keep broken glass more or less from flying everywhere, not sure if this can work but I did it anyway.
Lowering temperature in a fridge as much as possible, so if power will go off, it will take longer for everything to melt.

Heavy winds and rain here in Central NJ. The winds just started but it has been raining for 4 hours. We are 1 mile from the Raritan Bay which flows into the Atlantic Ocean. We are high up enough that we don't have to evacuate but I am afraid of the winds. In March 2010 in a Tropical Storm we lost 1/2 our roof. Hope the new 18 mo old roof holds up in the winds.
Michele

Here in central NJ it is raining steadily, but still no wind...I'm just waiting for something to happen...kinda nerve-wracking!:sunny:

I am in Central Jersey too, Woodbridge just heavy rain, waiting for the wind have flash lights handy and some ice, will fill the bathtub with water before going to bed. A lot windows in the house not sure where to hide, hopefully basement won't flood.

This has been a wacky week earthquake, now hurricane all things us born and raised North Easterns are not accustomed too.

Good luck to all, stay safe

Hi brunette8706!

Yeah we are across the street from the Board of Education. If you ever see a lady driving a Highlander with "WDW MOM" tags that's me. I love that there are other DISboarders near by. :goodvibes

The pictures from Ocean City were crazy. DD and I couldn't believe it. OC is never that empty. We couldn't get over the picture of the water under the boardwalk and the one of the churning ocean. This is just crazy.

Stay safe and dry too!

Thanks for useful tips. I got few from another FL resient just now. Put some tape on windows in cross like patern, suppose to keep broken glass more or less from flying everywhere, not sure if this can work but I did it anyway.
Lowering temperature in a fridge as much as possible, so if power will go off, it will take longer for everything to melt.

Yes on the tape in cross pattern (not just a single cross but more like an asterix *).

Yes on the flashlights and if you have battery powered lanterns.

Careful with candles and generators. Some die from not having the generator properly ventilated.

Haven't hear about lowering the temp in the fridge. Not sure if that makes sense? I did read (kind of late to do it now) that someone froze water in tupperware containers and then right before the storm put them in the fridge and taped the fridge shut to keep it cooler in there.

Have towels ready or put in place ahead of time for any window leaking.

Fill the bathtub with water so if the water is shut off you can take buckets out of the tub to flush your toilet.

God Bless you.. and at 54, I would be scared too.. :grouphug: You will be fine.. just stay away from the windows and do what your parents tell you to do.. if you ever had to listen to them..... this is the time to do so :thumbsup2

I will definitely listen to them! Thank you. :hug:

Heavy rains from the northern reaches coming in waves across Massachusetts now. No winds yet - they are expected to pick up after midnight :(

I am at Monroe county PA. It's light rain here right now with some mild wind. Nothing major yet. Not too worry about flood since I am at the highest point of the mountain and no stream or river close to me. But my house is completely surround by trees. Some are 40 to 50' tall pine.

Local report claim we will get wind between 30 to 50mph and 4-6" rain. I guess we will be sleeping in the family room tonight.

Hi brunette8706!

Yeah we are across the street from the Board of Education. If you ever see a lady driving a Highlander with "WDW MOM" tags that's me. I love that there are other DISboarders near by. :goodvibes

The pictures from Ocean City were crazy. DD and I couldn't believe it. OC is never that empty. We couldn't get over the picture of the water under the boardwalk and the one of the churning ocean. This is just crazy.

Stay safe and dry too!

Love the WDW MOM! Very clever. Yeah the pictures were from earlier today, hopefully, there will not be that much damage.

Hi Kelly!

It's just raining (hard) and somewhat windy. Lights just flickered...oh man! I better charge my cell phone.

How is it where you are?

So far just rain, heavy at times. Wind is getting bit stronger but still not bad yet. They said it will get worse overnight with worst wind early in the morning. It suppose to start getting much worse after 1AM. I feel uncomfortable going to sleep not knowing what is going on. Hope we all will be fine.:goodvibes

Well as you can see from my screen name I'm in the heart of it. Well actually our home away from home is in the heart, Emerald Isle, NC. Sadly we property owners are still not allowed on the Island. So far I've heard minor damage such as fallen trees, roof shingles, awnings, water damage, ect. The biggest damage I've heard about is the fishing piers which are 1/2 gone. So I am just praying alot and hoping to hear from dear friends soon.

So far just rain, heavy at times. Wind is getting bit stronger but still not bad yet. They said it will get worse overnight with worst wind early in the morning. It suppose to start getting much worse after 1AM. I feel uncomfortable going to sleep not knowing what is going on. Hope we all will be fine.:goodvibes

Hello Kelly!

I did put in a few prayers for you and your family! I'm sure you will be safe. Also, please keep us all posted on your status. I'm telling you the wind has really picked up here in MD. It's just slamming the rain against the windows. I did plug in my cell phone also.

I tried to log onto weather.com but could not even get access.

Not to make light of the situation but here's something we can all have right now:

Hurricane Recipe:

1 oz vodka

1/4 oz grenadine

1 oz gin

1 oz light rum

1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum

1 oz amaretto almond liqueur

1 oz triple sec

grapefruit juice

pineapple juice

Directions

Fill a hurricane (or any other tall glass) 3/4 full with ice.

Pour all the alcohols in first, then follow with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice.

Serve and enjoy! (For those not drinking alcohol, you can use sprite and orange).

:goodvibes

Hello Kelly!

I did put in a few prayers for you and your family! I'm sure you will be safe. Also, please keep us all posted on your status. I'm telling you the wind has really picked up here in MD. It's just slamming the rain against the windows. I did plug in my cell phone also.

I tried to log onto weather.com but go not even get access.

Not to make light of the situation but here's something we can all have right now:

Hurricane Recipe:

1 oz vodka

1/4 oz grenadine

1 oz gin

1 oz light rum

1/2 oz Bacardi® 151 rum

1 oz amaretto almond liqueur

1 oz triple sec

grapefruit juice

pineapple juice

Directions

Fill a hurricane (or any other tall glass) 3/4 full with ice.

Pour all the alcohols in first, then follow with equal parts of grapefruit and pineapple juice.

Serve and enjoy! (For those not drinking alcohol, you can use sprite and orange).

:goodvibes

He, he, thats the spirit.:thumbsup2

I will be praying for you, your family and everyone cought in this weather as well.

Well, it's pouring now and finally getting a bit windy here in central NJ - some flickering of lights, but no power outages, thank God. Hope everyone's OK...

:sunny:

Well, it's pouring now and finally getting a bit windy here in central NJ - some flickering of lights, but no power outages, thank God. Hope everyone's OK...

:sunny:

Same here, just stepped on a balcony to check the wind and it is getting stronger, lots of puddles. I just want it to be Monday already. Hugs to everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter