My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

I guess I'm confused...did she visit or drop off a dog? My sister drops off her dog to my mom almost every day and there are many days that she doesn't even see my mom...just yells hi/bye as she goes to work. Also, I was speaking about the OP saying the sil shouldn't have gone to work and how simple that is. Like it or not, the fact of the matter is telling your employer, who has the info. and yet tells you thst you still need to come to work; that you're not going to because "you feel" you should quarantine is NOT all that simple.

This is from the OP's post
She dropped their dog off to spend the night at my mom's. She comes to pick him up in the morning and comes in the house and visits. She gets home and gets a call saying she is positive for Covid.

I was talking about the SIL visiting the mom, but she still should have quarantined herself at least until her test results came back, although her dh was positive and it's safe to assume she had more than 15 minutes of contact with him. Under those conditions she should have decided to self-quarantine. That's just how it is, and people like her are why it keeps spreading.
If her boss doesn't let her then he's got just as much blood on his hands as the SIL if people catch it from her and become and very sick or worse.

If you know you were exposed to an entire family that has tested positive, why would you not want to get tested? Wouldn't you want to know so you weren't spreading it to your own family, and to the people they would come in contact with at work, school or out?

ETA- I know several people who have been in contact with COVID + people, every single one of them got themselves tested to make sure they weren't positive.
My dd got herself tested 3 times in a 2 week span because one of her housemates had it. She never had direct contact with him (so not required to be tested) but she was really worried that she would pick it up from the house.
She was negative each time but she wanted to make sure she wasn't going to spread it to the rest of us if she came home, and then us spread it to others. I don't understand not being willing to get tested, I just don't.
Does she have a job or classes she goes to etc.? Did she have to quarantine each time she got tested? That's the policy where I work and where my college-age son goes to school. I'm not saying it's right, but I will say there's a bit of stigma at many work places in which ppl. go and get tested without being in direct contact with a positive person for at least 10 mins maskless.

I think that's the thing with this, there's a huge stigma and a huge discrepancy on both sides of the pendulum. There are those who feel ppl. go and get tested for no reason and just to get out of work and we have others who feel like ppl. are trying to commit murder by not quarantining/getting tested when someome else feels they should.

Personally, I think it's pretty easy to have empathy on both sides, but I think ppl.s personal circumstances on many different levels is what is so frustrating.

Does she have a job or classes she goes to etc.? Did she have to quarantine each time she got tested? That's the policy where I work and where my college-age son goes to school. I'm not saying it's right, but I will say there's a bit of stigma at many work places in which ppl. go and get tested without being in direct contact with a positive person for at least 10 mins maskless.

I think that's the thing with this, there's a huge stigma and a huge discrepancy on both sides of the pendulum. There are those who feel ppl. go and get tested for no reason and just to get out of work and we have others who feel like ppl. are trying to commit murder by not quarantining/getting tested when someome else feels they should.

Personally, I think it's pretty easy to have empathy on both sides, but I think ppl.s personal circumstances on many different levels is what is so frustrating.

She was not required to quarantine because she had no direct contact with him. Her school had mandatory testing before she could come home from Thanksgiving, she had done that but after the housemate returned to the house after being gone for days (while sick) she scheduled herself another test to be sure. When she first found out he was sick she had a regular 2 week test scheduled. (her school tests the kids every 2-3 weeks). She had 3 tests, but 2 would have been done regardless of her housemate being sick.
And yes I think if you are in contact with someone who is positive, especially someone that you would have close contact with like a dh you have a responsibility to get yourself tested before you put others at risk. I won't call you a murderer if you don't but I won't say you are innocent if someone gets sick because of you.

The person my daughter most likely got it from had zero symptoms, she herself had no symptoms and was positive.

The person my husband was exposed to is still 100% asymptomatic. His virus status was caught during a required pre flight test (required for the state he was traveling to). Had he not had that test, he would have gotten on a 6 hour plane flight and potentially exposed far more people than he already did, unknowingly.

The idea that contacts of asymptomatic people don't need to test flies in the face of logic and what we know about this virus' transmission. The stupid health departments making these rules are not following CDC and WHO guidelines. It is irresponsible and likely contributing to the explosive spread we are seeing now.

If you know you were exposed to an entire family that has tested positive, why would you not want to get tested? Wouldn't you want to know so you weren't spreading it to your own family, and to the people they would come in contact with at work, school or out?
OK, let's say you see "Jane" on Saturday. On Monday, she calls to tell you she's tested positive for Covid. So you go get tested, right? When? Monday? What if that comes back negative? Do you test again on Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday? A week later? Or do you just quarantine for 14 days?

OK, let's say you see "Jane" on Saturday. On Monday, she calls to tell you she's tested positive for Covid. So you go get tested, right? When? Monday? What if that comes back negative? Do you test again on Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday? A week later? Or do you just quarantine for 14 days?
From what I've read, typically, the virus is evident in testing around 5 days after exposure. In your scenario, I'd quarantine and get a test Thursday, and remain quarantined until 14 days are past.

Well, the way it works based on the guidelines is that you take the date of last exposure and that is "day 1". So, in your hypothetical scenario, Saturday. If you ONLY saw the person that one day and not after the test, you would start a 14 day quarantine counting back to Saturday. If you saw them after, you would count your last contact day as day 1. You would get tested somewhere between days 5 and 7, so Thursday-Saturday. If you test too early, you could get a false negative. You can certainly wait more than 5-7 days since you are already in quarantine, so testing towards the end of the quarantine window might make more sense, around day 10 or so.

It is worth noting, the CDC is very close to releasing new quarantine guidelines that bring the number of days down to "7 to 10 with a negative test after day 5" They are really carefully analyzing infection spread data and it has become evident that the incubation period is MOST OFTEN far shorter than 14 days, and the average is closer to 2-7 days. It should be noted that this time window only applies to asymptomatic people and people who test negative. Anyone who tests positive or has symotoms will have to quarantine for a period of 10 days beginning on the date the test was done, or the date of symptom onset.

A 14 day quarantine is thought to be excessive and largely unnecessary, and also very difficult for many people to complete, and it is thought that a shorter quarantine will be just as effective and much easier to do which would significantly increase compliance. The same way that you are only "infectious" for a period of 10 days at most is the reason for a shorter quarantine.

I would quarantine (and self isolate in my own home) for 4-5 days and then go get tested.

FWIW, it’s what Hilary Duff just had to when she was exposed on the set of Younger. She self isolated for 4 days until she got tested and it came back negative.

Our son and dil are in quarantine right now with this situation.

They saw a friend last Saturday. Friend woke up Sunday with no taste or smell. He tested positive on Sunday. Friend continues to only have a loss of taste and smell.

Son and dil started quarantine immediately (fortunately they can work from home). They did a grocery pickup order on Sunday so they could distance.

They have had no symptoms. Missed both family Thanksgivings (they picked up a no contact Thanksgiving dinner from her parents porch) and have only been around each other. Had a rapid test yesterday (a week later) that was negative. Waiting on results of another longer results test.

Plan to quarantine until at least that test is negative (results expected Tuesday), if not longer.

They respect that they could spread to others without having symptoms.

From what I've read, typically, the virus is evident in testing around 5 days after exposure. In your scenario, I'd quarantine and get a test Thursday, and remain quarantined until 14 days are past.
Then why get the test? That's my point? I get I've (hypothetically) been exposed and I should quarantine. But if I don't have any symptoms, what's the point of getting the test if I'm going to remain quarantined regardless of the outcome?

Then why get the test? That's my point? I get I've (hypothetically) been exposed and I should quarantine. But if I don't have any symptoms, what's the point of getting the test if I'm going to remain quarantined regardless of the outcome?
Because, if I'm exposed, and I do have it, I want to start treatment as soon as possible. Not wait until I have symptoms. But, then I'm high risk, so I want to be sure my doctor can treat me right away, as necessary.

Yeah it doesn't matter if you test negative. You are out 14 days from the date of last contact. Although when it’s changed to 7-10 days with a negative test it would be beneficial.

Last edited:

I'd get tested ASAP but if it came back negative I'd still quarantine for 14 days.
If you have contact with someone and they test positive then the assumption should be that you've got it too right? It's totally possible to not have it, but if I was out, we were unmasked and not social distancing from each other I'm not going to take the chance of infecting others.

Because, if I'm exposed, and I do have it, I want to start treatment as soon as possible. Not wait until I have symptoms. But, then I'm high risk, so I want to be sure my doctor can treat me right away, as necessary.
They will treat your symptoms whether or not you have the test. You won't get a reliable result until 5-7 days after close contact...about the time you would show symptoms. The test will only confirm if you have COVID.

Last edited:
I absolutely feel your frustration. The worst part about this is you can do everything right, but everyone NOT doing what they're suppose to be doing screws it up for everyone.
I'm in the position of having to tell my parents that they cannot come from MO to FL for Christmas, and if they do, I'm not seeing them. I don't trust that they are not gathering in groups. Heck, they had 14 out of state, vehemently antimasker family members over for Thanksgiving, with the excuse "We need human interaction!" Yeah.. me too, but I'll suck it up.

If you live alone and you never see anyone else except that one person who tests positive, then sure, don't bother with a test and just stay home 14 days.

But we are largely discussing the situation where ONE PERSON in a family tests positive or is exposed and doesn't get a test, and the rest of the family goes about their routine outside the home. That is a huge problem.

Because in the case we’re talking about, she was still around her family between exposure and knowing they were positive. Family who are out and about. If the entire family were quarantining for 14 days, then no, nobody would need to get tested.

If you live alone and you never see anyone else except that one person who tests positive, then sure, don't bother with a test and just stay home 14 days.

But we are largely discussing the situation where ONE PERSON in a family tests positive or is exposed and doesn't get a test, and the rest of the family goes about their routine outside the home. That is a huge problem.
But they should be distancing and monitoring NOT going about their normal routine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter