My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

Youngest son was tested at NJ urgent care center mid October. Tested positive. NO one, not any contact tracers bothered to follow up with him any time during his illness.Contract tracing should have been done within 24 hours. Very disappointing!
As mentioned before, not all health departments have contact tracing capabilities. And those that do have been overwhelmed, both by the numbers they have to follow up on and the reluctance of positive cases who don't want to "name names". So they've pretty much abandoned the process.

As mentioned before, not all health departments have contact tracing capabilities. And those that do have been overwhelmed, both by the numbers they have to follow up on and the reluctance of positive cases who don't want to "name names". So they've pretty much abandoned the process.
Yep, in PA they are having problems with people who test positive not cooperating with contact tracers. And recently I know the Allegheny County health dept has said they are overwhelmed with positive cases and don't have enough people to do the tracing. It's bad!

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stori...e-contact-tracing/HZRKC5Y7RJEPHB7P5WCO64MVSQ/

My DH works in essential services, he and his guys are in contact with the public constantly, everyday they are exposed to the chance that someone might have it, so they do take precautions very seriously, and all his guys want to keep working... DH's company not only does commercial pest control which is necessary, everything from warehouses, processing plants commercial and office building, hotels, restaurants .... to keep the food and supply train up and working and running, as well they have been doing treatments to kill the virus.. Alot of places if someone even sneeze's or coughs they have DH and his guys into treat, as a precaution.

Rules in place, no one comes to the office, when they need products, they are set outside and the swing in and pick it up, mask are a must at all times when working, the minute they get out of the truck that mask has to go on, at time, gloves, shields, googles, Tyvek suits( hazmat suits), DH went so far as to make sure everyone has hand soap, they carry water on all the truck and hand sanitizer in their trucks, it is part of the truck inspections..

In defense of the store that told the sister to come to work... do you know how many people are using this as an excuse not to work, not because they were exposed because they just want lay out for 2 weeks, and want to get paid for it... most places are doing temp check, and are keeping the mask in place. Now I will say I have seen customers without mask, the employee's for the most part are following the guidelines..

I don't understand why the SIL just did not wear a mask into the house, to protect your mom, and stayed away from her -social distancing, and I hope your mom wiped everything down when she left to limit the exposure chances... I hope and pray that your mom will be okay... :hug:

Because, if I'm exposed, and I do have it, I want to start treatment as soon as possible. Not wait until I have symptoms. But, then I'm high risk, so I want to be sure my doctor can treat me right away, as necessary.

Well, yes, but you're high-risk. For the vast majority of people who are not, there really is no treatment that is normally ordered, other than the usual rest and fluids that would be advised for the flu, so Sam does have a valid point where most of us are concerned: if you are asymptomatic and will self-quarantine for 14 days anyway after presumed exposure, there probably is no compelling need to get a test. This is the CDC clinical management recommendation chart:

1606937338608.png

Apparently CDC will be lowering the quarantine after an exposure. It’ll be 7 days if you test negative and 10 days with no test.

Yep, my husband just returned to work today. He was exposed last Monday by a coworker. He got tested Saturday, got a negative result yesterday. He was cleared to return to work based on this forthcoming guidance (he is military and they had gotten the official notice yesterday). Today is technically day 9, and I'm really glad he didn't have to wait until day 15, because he has been driving me crazy trying to work from home!

I suspect this will perhaps encourage more people to get tests, as it's basically a get out of jail (quarantine) early card if it's negative. Hopefully this will help reduce transmission.

Yep, my husband just returned to work today. He was exposed last Monday by a coworker. He got tested Saturday, got a negative result yesterday. He was cleared to return to work based on this forthcoming guidance (he is military and they had gotten the official notice yesterday). Today is technically day 9, and I'm really glad he didn't have to wait until day 15, because he has been driving me crazy trying to work from home!

I suspect this will perhaps encourage more people to get tests, as it's basically a get out of jail (quarantine) early card if it's negative. Hopefully this will help reduce transmission.
I agree. It will likely encourage more to test or at least adhere to the 10 day period. We may be amazed with the level of compliance due to more reasonable guidelines.

Well, the way it works based on the guidelines is that you take the date of last exposure and that is "day 1". So, in your hypothetical scenario, Saturday. If you ONLY saw the person that one day and not after the test, you would start a 14 day quarantine counting back to Saturday. If you saw them after, you would count your last contact day as day 1. You would get tested somewhere between days 5 and 7, so Thursday-Saturday. If you test too early, you could get a false negative. You can certainly wait more than 5-7 days since you are already in quarantine, so testing towards the end of the quarantine window might make more sense, around day 10 or so.

It is worth noting, the CDC is very close to releasing new quarantine guidelines that bring the number of days down to "7 to 10 with a negative test after day 5" They are really carefully analyzing infection spread data and it has become evident that the incubation period is MOST OFTEN far shorter than 14 days, and the average is closer to 2-7 days. It should be noted that this time window only applies to asymptomatic people and people who test negative. Anyone who tests positive or has symotoms will have to quarantine for a period of 10 days beginning on the date the test was done, or the date of symptom onset.

A 14 day quarantine is thought to be excessive and largely unnecessary, and also very difficult for many people to complete, and it is thought that a shorter quarantine will be just as effective and much easier to do which would significantly increase compliance. The same way that you are only "infectious" for a period of 10 days at most is the reason for a shorter quarantine.

The only real reason they are doing that is because they are hoping they can get more people to comply with being in quarantine.

Rather sad and pathetic if you ask me. Everyone seems to forget that the original quarantine was 40 days long.. 😒 Also, did you know that the real reason they chose 6ft for social distancing was because they knew it would be impossible to enforce the true distance required to keep us safe? We really should be 12/13 feet apart but that’s doesn’t work for the “real” world so they went with 6 ft. It’s quite a shame if you ask me.

Funny how “ if they just comply, they won’t die” works now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Here’s our chance to save lives and some of us couldn’t care less. I just hope all the lives lost so far will not be for nothing.

Hi OP, just wanted to see how your brother & mom are doing?
Thank you. My mom has not been symptomatic, so as long as things continue that way for the next few days she'll hopefully be good. SIL has been asymptomatic so far. My brother left the hospital today. He badgered the doctor to discharge him, and the head nurse told him he was too sick to go home. My mom is very angry about it which is her reaction to being worried. I told her under no circumstances is she to make any contact with him until he is cleared and she said she wouldn't.

My brother is extremely bull-headed and mix IV steroids in with that there was really no stopping him. Hopefully his choice will not be a regretful one. I wish he would have been more thoughtful about our mom's and his wife's feelings. He also has a small snow removal and excavating business and the snow is going to start flying any time now. I would think he'd want the best chance at a quick recovery, but I guess not.

The only real reason they are doing that is because they are hoping they can get more people to comply with being in quarantine.

Rather sad and pathetic if you ask me. Everyone seems to forget that the original quarantine was 40 days long.. 😒 Also, did you know that the real reason they chose 6ft for social distancing was because they knew it would be impossible to enforce the true distance required to keep us safe? We really should be 12/13 feet apart but that’s doesn’t work for the “real” world so they went with 6 ft. It’s quite a shame if you ask me.

Funny how “ if they just comply, they won’t die” works now that the shoe is on the other foot.

Here’s our chance to save lives and some of us couldn’t care less. I just hope all the lives lost so far will not be for nothing.
I disagree. I don't believe anybody wants anyone to die. Most everyone does care. It's the extremes that most disagree with...both ends of the spectrum.

Where did you get the "real" distance should be 12/13 and quarantine 40 days? I've heard they doubled the quarantine and distancing because they didn't believe anyone would comply with the full extent of the guidelines so they were exaggerated.

Last edited:

Wow talk about getting political fast..unless I'm reading the underlined comment wrong

I disagree. I don't believe anybody wants anyone to die. Most everyone does care. It's the extremes that most disagree with...both ends of the spectrum.

Where did you get the "real" distance should be 12/13 and quarantine 40 days? I've heard they doubled the quarantine and distancing because they didn't believe anyone would comply with the full extent of the guidelines so they were exaggerated.
I don't remember 40 days but I could be forgetting something (hard not to with how much has gone on). I do remember hearing initially they wanted 3 or so feet but felt 6ft was better to advise. Sometime in the spring they discussed how far sneezes could travel and there was news stories at least talking about how 6ft may not be enough there. But masks would really help on the sneezing front so long as people wear the masks correctly (which yeah we know not all do). Unless I'm missing something it could be either they were going off of really really really early information or something not wide spread in the information (unless again I'm forgetting something lol).

Thank you. My mom has not been symptomatic, so as long as things continue that way for the next few days she'll hopefully be good. SIL has been asymptomatic so far. My brother left the hospital today. He badgered the doctor to discharge him, and the head nurse told him he was too sick to go home. My mom is very angry about it which is her reaction to being worried. I told her under no circumstances is she to make any contact with him until he is cleared and she said she wouldn't.

My brother is extremely bull-headed and mix IV steroids in with that there was really no stopping him. Hopefully his choice will not be a regretful one. I wish he would have been more thoughtful about our mom's and his wife's feelings. He also has a small snow removal and excavating business and the snow is going to start flying any time now. I would think he'd want the best chance at a quick recovery, but I guess not.

So. difficult, I’m SO GLAD your Mom has remained symptom free, and SIL as well. I hope your brother leaving that way, does not pose a further risk. How stressful for you too. Sending a lot of love to you.❤️

The quarantine was never 40 days. They guessed the incubation period of this virus based on the known incubation periods of SARS and MERS, which had been *up to* 14 days, but most often (like 95% of the time) 2-6 days.

At this time, as we have learned more about this virus and tracked symptom onset after exposures, they have narrowed down the LIKELY incubation period and it is under 10 days 99% of the time. This is good enough to base the new recommendations on.

In addition, getting tested after an exposure and being negative (using PCR, not rapid tests) means that the likelihood of testing positive later is practically nil.

As to social distancing, there isn't anything magic about 6 ft, particularly indoors. Those recommendations are based on very outdated science. With the application of fluid dynamics, which is what you need to use when looking at how aerosols travel indoors, there is NO SAFE DISTANCE indoors. Masks need to stay on. Aerosols can travel across a room that is several hundred square feet in a matter of seconds. This is why indoor dining is so dangerous. The example was given, imagine you are in a large room and someone sprays perfume. In a matter if seconds, you will smell the perfume across the room. The only way to mitigate this is to open windows and allow for natural air circulation, which can dispel droplets and lower their concentration.

Where did you get the "real" distance should be 12/13 and quarantine 40 days?
From Merriam Webster dictionary:
Definition of quarantine
1: a period of 40 days
2a: a term during which a ship arriving in port and suspected of carrying contagious disease is held in isolation from the shore
b: a regulation placing a ship in quarantine
c: a place where a ship is detained during quarantine
3a: a restraint upon the activities or communication of persons or the transport of goods designed to prevent the spread of disease or pests
b: a place in which those under quarantine are kept
4: a state of enforced isolation

Wikipedia:
Etymology and terminology
The word quarantine comes from quarantena, meaning "forty days", used in 14th–15th-century Venetian and designating the period that all ships were required to be isolated before passengers and crew could go ashore during the Black Death plague epidemic; it followed the trentino, or thirty-day isolation period, first imposed in 1347 in the Republic of Ragusa, Dalmatia (modern Dubrovnik in Croatia).

Wow talk about getting political fast..unless I'm reading the underlined comment wrong
I read it that way at first but the whole post is confusing. I have never read anything even close to what was stated other than what DLgal said about indoors. I am a hard, triple sneezer and there’s no doubt that would travel across a large room.

I don't remember 40 days but I could be forgetting something (hard not to with how much has gone on). I do remember hearing initially they wanted 3 or so feet but felt 6ft was better to advise. Sometime in the spring they discussed how far sneezes could travel and there was news stories at least talking about how 6ft may not be enough there. But masks would really help on the sneezing front so long as people wear the masks correctly (which yeah we know not all do). Unless I'm missing something it could be either they were going off of really really really early information or something not wide spread in the information (unless again I'm forgetting something lol).
Are the symptoms the same as last spring? Still seeing some fever, fatigue, sinus issues, sore throat, loss of taste and smell but not much with coughing and sneezing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter