My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

smokeyblue

DIS Veteran
I am so ridiculously angry right now. My brother is in the hospital right now with Covid. My SIL called her workplace and told them that he was in the hospital with Covid and that she hadn't got her tests results back. She claims they told her to come into work anyway. She works overnights at a big box store. She dropped their dog off to spend the night at my mom's. She comes to pick him up in the morning and comes in the house and visits. She gets home and gets a call saying she is positive for Covid.

I just can't believe the absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others. It's my mom's birthday today and now I won't be able to visit and I won't be able to see her for two weeks. I know I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I asked my mom why she didn't tell her she had to leave. She said she couldn't do that. I said, yes you can! My mom was already upset and I know what I said didn't help, but seriously!

Ugh. I'm sorry about your brother's hospitalization and your mother's exposure.

It's not just your mom. My 80-year-old dad with multiple lung issues did a similar thing. They spend their winters in Florida and their summers in Ohio. Last spring, when things started shutting down, my sister and I convinced them to come home where we could help with their shopping, etc. We did all of their shopping and only visited with them outdoors that whole time. Despite us trying to convince them to stay put, they decided to go back to Florida in early November.

They hadn't even been down there a week when my dad decided to take something to his neighbor. He didn't wear a mask. His neighbor invited him inside... and he went. The next day, the neighbor tested positive for COVID. My dad said both "I forgot about COVID" and "They invited me. I didn't want to be rude." (Seriously, your children/grandchildren haven't been in your house for almost a year, but you "forgot" that we're not going into other people's houses?)

Thankfully, my dad's quarantine was over yesterday and he's still healthy, so it didn't end up being a costly mistake but... yeah... I was/am mad at everyone. Him for accepting, but the neighbor for inviting him in (and the neighbor had recently traveled/attended a wedding.) I hope it doesn't end up being a costly mistake for your mom either. I'm sorry she'll have to spend her birthday alone though.

Someone dropped the ball big time here. Your SIL should have been put in quarantine as soon as your brother tested positive. She shouldn't have gone to work. She shouldn't have gone to your mothers house. She should have been in a room separated from EVERYONE, including any other family or household members.

Hope your mom is okay.

I am so ridiculously angry right now. My brother is in the hospital right now with Covid. My SIL called her workplace and told them that he was in the hospital with Covid and that she hadn't got her tests results back. She claims they told her to come into work anyway. She works overnights at a big box store. She dropped their dog off to spend the night at my mom's. She comes to pick him up in the morning and comes in the house and visits. She gets home and gets a call saying she is positive for Covid.

I just can't believe the absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others. It's my mom's birthday today and now I won't be able to visit and I won't be able to see her for two weeks. I know I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I asked my mom why she didn't tell her she had to leave. She said she couldn't do that. I said, yes you can! My mom was already upset and I know what I said didn't help, but seriously!
It's disgusting enough when it's a stranger. But it hurts a ton when it's a relative that you thought gave a crap. What is done is done. All you can do now is protect yourself and not let this spreader event become a super spreader event. And don't keep your mouth shut. From what you posted, you weren't too hard on Mum. I'm kind of disappointed that you either haven't given your SIL the business or didn't share it. Good luck. And God Bless.

My daughter was with someone who tested positive for a half hour and ended up getting it. I can’t believe someone who’s spouse was in the hospital with covid wouldn’t just quarantine until the results came back! My daughter was exposed to someone with no symptoms and she had no symptoms, our family has been on lockdown for 2 weeks.

I'm sorry your mom was exposed and I hope she stays healthy. I also hope your brother recovers and SIL isn't to sick. My DH and I were exposed by someone who tested on a Friday, went out and saw us on a Saturday, not knowing they even tested(we went to an outdoor market for dinner and shopping) then sent a text Sunday saying we should probably get tested as they had just got a positive test result. :sad2: We quarantined and tested negative, thankfully. I keep reminding people if you are testing because you think you have it, stay home until you get your results. They specifically tell you that when you get the test. 🤦‍♀️

I do believe your sister was told to work.

I work for a hospital and our new policy is you can work after a high risk exposure (either at work, household or in the community) but you wear an N95 mask and follow different procedures (lunch alone, monitor temps, etc). You then test at day 5-7. If positive you stop working. If negative you continue working.

I guess places can’t keep up with how many people are exposed. If they did there’d be no one at work.

As for your SIL, she probably thought since she could work she could go to your mom’s house.

Last edited:
Someone dropped the ball big time here. Your SIL should have been put in quarantine as soon as your brother tested positive. She shouldn't have gone to work. She shouldn't have gone to your mothers house. She should have been in a room separated from EVERYONE, including any other family or household members.

Hope your mom is okay.
Our area is overwhelmed with Covid right now. Our health department has put out statements that they are no longer doing contact tracing because it is so widespread at this point. They will call you and notify you that you are positive and that you need to contact everyone you've been in contact with yourself.

They are allowing zero visitors at the hospital right now. If they gave her any direction over the phone as to what she should do, I don't know. I do know that there is constantly information on our local news and all over Facebook.

:hug:

Did your mom know that she was awaiting a test result? Did your mom know your brother had COVID? When the sister-in-law dropped off the dog how was that handled?

Everyone should be staying away from everyone in a situation like that. I know how hard it can be to say no so I don't think you were too hard on your mom but I have to admit the description of 'absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others' makes it sound like it lies squarely with the sister-in-law and while she has blame, for sure no doubt, there were other parties involved.

I'm sorry your family is having to deal with this and I hope for good health for them all!

The dog couldn't spend the night alone? What the heck? And animals can spread Covid, so that dog shouldn't have left her house, period. So much stupidity. I'd be livid also. And you know what, name the big box store. I'd like to know if I'm shopping at a store that has this kind of ridiculous policy.

There's all kinds of stupid going on right now. Two weeks ago, a coworker of my husband decided to come to work. He started with symptoms over the weekend and went out and got tested. Despite feeling ill and awaiting results, he decided to come to work while awaiting results (and not tell anyone). I'm sure he didn't want to lose pay. Two days after being at work, he gets his positive test. They ended up having to shut the whole job down (several hundred people) and send everyone home to get tested. Fortunately DH is negative but he will lose 8 days of pay now (as will the other several hundred employees).

My next situation is with my coworker. Her adult son has been living with her for a few weeks as he awaits an opening at an apartment building. He is pretty much lax about COVID and only recently started wearing a mask. He decided to go to one of those "gatherings"--a birthday party in someone's home. A few days after the party, he starts exhibiting symptoms. Waits a few days, gets a test, and when it's finally positive, he moves out to a hotel. Yet, he's now exposed his parents, both of whom have underlying conditions, and two other siblings. The parents had no idea he was going to a party.

Lastly, another coworker just came down with it after attending basketball tournaments (high school). He also came in after not feeling well and exposed other people, now pending results.

This is why I really *hate* the argument of the COVID-downplayers or anti-maskers: If you're so scared of it, just stay home. No one is forcing you to do anything.

While that's true, there's 3 examples here of people who don't seem to be able to avoid contact with the careless.

The dog couldn't spend the night alone? What the heck? And animals can spread Covid, so that dog shouldn't have left her house, period. So much stupidity. I'd be livid also. And you know what, name the big box store. I'd like to know if I'm shopping at a store that has this kind of ridiculous policy.
Let's first confirm the big box store actually knew about the Covid situation before we boycott it. This SIL is irresponsible, reckless, and possibly a liar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter