My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

I avoid visiting ANYONE if I am sick with ANYTHING contagious. I isolate at home in my bedroom. Perhaps some should realize even the flu can potentially be deadly for the elderly or ANYONE with pre existing conditions. It boggles my mind to think ANYONE with a confirmed case of COVID or close contact...would risk infecting ANYONE.

OP hoping for the best outcome for your family.🙏🏼

I'm sending all of the good vibes I have to your family. I hope your Mom is okay and that your brother comes through it okay and you can work things out with him and his wife. This terrible pandemic is tearing families apart.

My aunt still wants to have the annual Christmas Eve party. She was on the phone yesterday to my cousin's wife about it and I could hear her egging my aunt on to have it and to h*** with it because it's family, You have to live life, etc. I texted her this morning and told her that she should be helping her to come to terms with cancelling it, not the other way around. Maybe I was wrong to get involved but I don't particularly want upwards of fifty people in my house, family or no. This is how people are getting sick. She texted me back and told me that since I had Covid I'm like that non-smoker who goes around telling people not to smoke. That's right. I had it and I was really sick and I don't want to lose people or get sick again. But I know everyone will show up and hug and kiss and party like everything's fine and it's not. Even though I'm planning to stay in my room I'll still have to disinfect the entire house the next day and possibly be exposed anyway through my aunt and cousins.

I am having a little trouble following your post. Are you saying that the Christmas Eve party your Aunt is insisting on having is at YOUR house? If so, aren’t you in control of this situation? I would tell her that if she insists on having this large gathering, it will NOT be at my house. Period. Did I miss something?

I am having a little trouble following your post. Are you saying that the Christmas Eve party your Aunt is insisting on having is at YOUR house? If so, aren’t you in control of this situation? I would tell her that if she insists on having this large gathering, it will NOT be at my house. Period. Did I miss something?

I believe that poster lives with her aunt.

The dog couldn't spend the night alone? What the heck? And animals can spread Covid, so that dog shouldn't have left her house, period.

Has there been a study to show this? DH and I were just talking about this last night - both my mother and my sister's families went to large gatherings yesterday. In the area where my sister was, a gathering of 10 people has a 50% chance of an active COVID case being present, statistically. We were talking about what we'd do if one of them tests positive and needs to be hospitalized, since they both have dogs.

I was contacted last week that I was in contact with a positive person. I could only figure it was at a bank appointment I had. The sad thing is they called day 14 after exposure so my quarantine time was up. I did get tested and was negative but shows how contact tracing is not to be relied on. It was the state health department that called me.

OK.....my son and DIL were tested Wednesday and results were negative (thank goodness) . They were suppose to come over for Thanksgiving dinner but I made the decision for them not to come because my son said they possibly could have strep throat. No way are you two darlings coming over certainly not with Covid but anything that might make Mama sick.... I do only have 20 some percent lung. They already knew that of course. So sorry OP for that exposure......my family is wayyyy on top of things because of me, I guess. :hug:

There's all kinds of stupid going on right now. Two weeks ago, a coworker of my husband decided to come to work. He started with symptoms over the weekend and went out and got tested. Despite feeling ill and awaiting results, he decided to come to work while awaiting results (and not tell anyone). I'm sure he didn't want to lose pay. Two days after being at work, he gets his positive test. They ended up having to shut the whole job down (several hundred people) and send everyone home to get tested. Fortunately DH is negative but he will lose 8 days of pay now (as will the other several hundred employees).

My next situation is with my coworker. Her adult son has been living with her for a few weeks as he awaits an opening at an apartment building. He is pretty much lax about COVID and only recently started wearing a mask. He decided to go to one of those "gatherings"--a birthday party in someone's home. A few days after the party, he starts exhibiting symptoms. Waits a few days, gets a test, and when it's finally positive, he moves out to a hotel. Yet, he's now exposed his parents, both of whom have underlying conditions, and two other siblings. The parents had no idea he was going to a party.

Lastly, another coworker just came down with it after attending basketball tournaments (high school). He also came in after not feeling well and exposed other people, now pending results.

This is why I really *hate* the argument of the COVID-downplayers or anti-maskers: If you're so scared of it, just stay home. No one is forcing you to do anything.

While that's true, there's 3 examples here of people who don't seem to be able to avoid contact with the careless.

CARES act pays employers 14 days for employees ordered to quarantine or isolate. Is your husband's employer not taking advantage of this benefit?

I just can't believe the absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others. It's my mom's birthday today and now I won't be able to visit and I won't be able to see her for two weeks.

But what if you were exposed and visited your mom? You never know when you have been exposed to Covid. Maybe best to wait to see your mom until there is a vaccine.

Has there been a study to show this? DH and I were just talking about this last night - both my mother and my sister's families went to large gatherings yesterday. In the area where my sister was, a gathering of 10 people has a 50% chance of an active COVID case being present, statistically. We were talking about what we'd do if one of them tests positive and needs to be hospitalized, since they both have dogs.
According to the CDC, you can give it to your pets but not likely to get it from them https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html

Our area is overwhelmed with Covid right now. Our health department has put out statements that they are no longer doing contact tracing because it is so widespread at this point. They will call you and notify you that you are positive and that you need to contact everyone you've been in contact with yourself.

They are allowing zero visitors at the hospital right now. If they gave her any direction over the phone as to what she should do, I don't know. I do know that there is constantly information on our local news and all over Facebook.

That shouldn't even matter, your SIL should have put herself in to quarantine. That is just common sense.
Your mother should have sent her away and not let her in.
Hopefully symptoms will be on the more mild side and everyone ends up recovering quickly and completely.

I am so ridiculously angry right now. My brother is in the hospital right now with Covid. My SIL called her workplace and told them that he was in the hospital with Covid and that she hadn't got her tests results back. She claims they told her to come into work anyway. She works overnights at a big box store. She dropped their dog off to spend the night at my mom's. She comes to pick him up in the morning and comes in the house and visits. She gets home and gets a call saying she is positive for Covid.

I just can't believe the absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others. It's my mom's birthday today and now I won't be able to visit and I won't be able to see her for two weeks. I know I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I asked my mom why she didn't tell her she had to leave. She said she couldn't do that. I said, yes you can! My mom was already upset and I know what I said didn't help, but seriously!

That's really frustrating! :-(

CARES act pays employers 14 days for employees ordered to quarantine or isolate. Is your husband's employer not taking advantage of this benefit?

I believe it’s if you have under 500 employees. It doesn’t go for all businesses.

My hospital system has thousands of employees. We have to use our own time for quarantine, if you have the time. If not it’s unpaid. Only employees that are paid are union employees. The rest of us are screwed.

Imagine 10 people are sitting at a table, each working on their on craft project. One of those people is using glitter. How many of those craft projects now have glitter on them?

This is how covid spreads. It only takes one person, they may not know they have it.

I just saw that on a meme.......I don't know if it was from our Meme thread but that's a good statement.

I believe it’s if you have under 500 employees. It doesn’t go for all businesses.

My hospital system has thousands of employees. We have to use our own time for quarantine, if you have the time. If not it’s unpaid. Only employees that are paid are union employees. The rest of us are screwed.

You are right! The other time it bites is when you are a 1099 employee. A friend of mine is a therapist - many in that field are 1099'd.

I am so ridiculously angry right now. My brother is in the hospital right now with Covid. My SIL called her workplace and told them that he was in the hospital with Covid and that she hadn't got her tests results back. She claims they told her to come into work anyway. She works overnights at a big box store. She dropped their dog off to spend the night at my mom's. She comes to pick him up in the morning and comes in the house and visits. She gets home and gets a call saying she is positive for Covid.

I just can't believe the absolute stupidity and lack of concern for others. It's my mom's birthday today and now I won't be able to visit and I won't be able to see her for two weeks. I know I should have just kept my mouth shut, but I asked my mom why she didn't tell her she had to leave. She said she couldn't do that. I said, yes you can! My mom was already upset and I know what I said didn't help, but seriously!
Was she within 6 ft of her maskless for an extended period of time 10+ mins.? That's generally the standard of what would put someone at risk of catching covid if they were around someone who was positive. If she was just dropping off/picking up her dog the chances of her giving it to your mok, assuming she is positive, are pretty slim.

I do believe your sister was told to work.

I work for a hospital and our new policy is you can work after a high risk exposure (either at work, household or in the community) but you wear an N95 mask and follow different procedures (lunch alone, monitor temps, etc). You then test at day 5-7. If positive you stop working. If negative you continue working.

I guess places can’t keep up with how many people are exposed. If they did there’d be no one at work.

As for your SIL, she probably thought since she could work she could go to your mom’s house.
I work at a school and we're starting to lean the same way. We also don't, nor have we ever quarantined siblings of a student who is positive or quarentining themselves...the policies are pretty odd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter