My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

Are the symptoms the same as last spring? Still seeing some fever, fatigue, sinus issues, sore throat, loss of taste and smell but not much with coughing and sneezing.
I don't think they were meaning sneezing as a symptom just that sneezing can spread droplets a far distance (gross just thinking about it lol).

Coughing is still a symptom though I think the other poster is right they seem all over the place these days. I haven't heard much about so-called covid toes (rash-like) but I remember hearing about it. Seems like loss of taste or smell or both are big ones but whether that's actually hugely common or just what gets talked about a lot IDK.

Thank you. My mom has not been symptomatic, so as long as things continue that way for the next few days she'll hopefully be good. SIL has been asymptomatic so far. My brother left the hospital today. He badgered the doctor to discharge him, and the head nurse told him he was too sick to go home. My mom is very angry about it which is her reaction to being worried. I told her under no circumstances is she to make any contact with him until he is cleared and she said she wouldn't.

My brother is extremely bull-headed and mix IV steroids in with that there was really no stopping him. Hopefully his choice will not be a regretful one. I wish he would have been more thoughtful about our mom's and his wife's feelings. He also has a small snow removal and excavating business and the snow is going to start flying any time now. I would think he'd want the best chance at a quick recovery, but I guess not.

Thank you for letting us know smokeyblue. Wonderful to hear about all three.

Hear you on the steroids, personality on overdrive. Does he have an oximeter at home? But then again not sure a stubborn person would use that or a thermometer.

I can hear how stressful it has been for you, please take care of yourself.

The quarantine was never 40 days. They guessed the incubation period of this virus based on the known incubation periods of SARS and MERS, which had been *up to* 14 days, but most often (like 95% of the time) 2-6 days.

At this time, as we have learned more about this virus and tracked symptom onset after exposures, they have narrowed down the LIKELY incubation period and it is under 10 days 99% of the time. This is good enough to base the new recommendations on.

In addition, getting tested after an exposure and being negative (using PCR, not rapid tests) means that the likelihood of testing positive later is practically nil.

As to social distancing, there isn't anything magic about 6 ft, particularly indoors. Those recommendations are based on very outdated science. With the application of fluid dynamics, which is what you need to use when looking at how aerosols travel indoors, there is NO SAFE DISTANCE indoors. Masks need to stay on. Aerosols can travel across a room that is several hundred square feet in a matter of seconds. This is why indoor dining is so dangerous. The example was given, imagine you are in a large room and someone sprays perfume. In a matter if seconds, you will smell the perfume across the room. The only way to mitigate this is to open windows and allow for natural air circulation, which can dispel droplets and lower their concentration.
I never said Covid quarantine was 40 days. You did. As far as the distance, we were originally told it should be that way, but would not be adhered to so they came up with the 6 ft. I know very well how aerosols work, I’m a physician and virology was my focus before choosing what so currently specialize in.

As for HH, comment was not political at all, (I cant multi quote right now)

Wow talk about getting political fast..unless I'm reading the underlined comment wrong
Nothing political at all, everyone needs to adhere to wearing the mask, and social distancing so that we all can try to get this thing under control. However, there are certain people who feel they don’t need to comply because such rules don’t apply to them.

I remember early on doctor fauci saying the droplets were larger and fell about 3 feet from a person who might cough. That was when they were telling everyone to wipe things down. Then they changed their guidelines because evidence was showing it to be more airborne. People get upset when guidelines change but science is ever changing.

I never said Covid quarantine was 40 days. You did. As far as the distance, we were originally told it should be that way, but would not be adhered to so they came up with the 6 ft. I know very well how aerosols work, I’m a physician and virology was my focus before choosing what so currently specialize in.

As for HH, comment was not political at all, (I cant multi quote right now)

What did you mean by "the original quarantine was 40 days long" then?

I remember early on doctor fauci saying the droplets were larger and fell about 3 feet from a person who might cough. That was when they were telling everyone to wipe things down. Then they changed their guidelines because evidence was showing it to be more airborne. People get upset when guidelines change but science is ever changing.

Especially when dealing with a novel coronavirus!!!

I suspect this will perhaps encourage more people to get tests, as it's basically a get out of jail (quarantine) early card if it's negative. Hopefully this will help reduce transmission.
The county above me rejected the CDC's new guidance instead maintaining the 14 days (and was worried this would actually increase transmission), another county where the state's capital is located at rejected part of it. You can leave quarantine after 10 days but getting a negative test will not allow for leave after 7 days. My county adopted it and gave this example "say if you get tested five days after exposure, and your result is negative, you can go back to normal activities on day eight. But that is only possible if you are not showing any symptoms. If you choose not to get tested, the quarantine period can end after 10 days." My state itself did adopt the new guidance but the head of the department is "still urging people to remain quarantined for 14 days."

What did you mean by "the original quarantine was 40 days long" then?

Not the OP but it seems like they're referring to the origin of quarantining - which was 40 days back in the Middle Ages - and how sad it is that these days it's difficult to get people to agree to quarantine for 14 days, which is a much shorter period of time.

Not the OP but it seems like they're referring to the origin of quarantining - which was 40 days back in the Middle Ages - and how sad it is that these days it's difficult to get people to agree to quarantine for 14 days, which is a much shorter period of time.
Fourteen days can cause quite a hardship for some families and/or businesses. Fourteen days lost income, customers and revenue.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand that. Like I wrote, I'm not the OP. The argument isn't mine, I just understood the point they were making when it seemed like quite a few didn't.
How could we have known that they were referring to the middle ages!?

We're talking about COVID here. "Everyone seems to forget that the original quarantine was 40 days long.. 😒" Everyone seems to forget the origin of quarantine is from the middle ages and it's 40 days long? I mean I love history and all but nope had no idea.

Raise your hand if you knew that!...okay maybe you did (and total respect if you did) but I don't really know how that would have been been able to figure out they were pulling some extremely obscure history fact up from the way the conversation was going unless I googled "quarantine 40 days" or something like that and found out that way. It sounded very much like they were saying the quarantine for COVID was originally 40 days. Plus they followed up that statement with "Also, did you know that the real reason they chose 6ft for social distancing was because they knew it would be impossible to enforce the true distance required to keep us safe? We really should be 12/13 feet apart but that’s doesn’t work for the “real” world so they went with 6 ft."

All of their comment was related to COVID but apparently this random middle ages trivia. It's my "know something new today" so I guess there's that.

Pardon my slight sarcasm please :) :flower3: it's not aimed at any one person just general here.

Thank you. My mom has not been symptomatic, so as long as things continue that way for the next few days she'll hopefully be good. SIL has been asymptomatic so far. My brother left the hospital today. He badgered the doctor to discharge him, and the head nurse told him he was too sick to go home. My mom is very angry about it which is her reaction to being worried. I told her under no circumstances is she to make any contact with him until he is cleared and she said she wouldn't.

My brother is extremely bull-headed and mix IV steroids in with that there was really no stopping him. Hopefully his choice will not be a regretful one. I wish he would have been more thoughtful about our mom's and his wife's feelings. He also has a small snow removal and excavating business and the snow is going to start flying any time now. I would think he'd want the best chance at a quick recovery, but I guess not.
Glad your mom is doing ok so far, I'm sad to hear your brother isn't cooperating. I really hope things turn out ok for you and your family :hug:

Everyone seems to forget the origin of quarantine is from the middle ages and it's 40 days long? I mean I love history and all but nope had no idea.
Probably why it's called QUARANtine.

quarantine (n.)
1660s, "period a ship suspected of carrying disease is kept in isolation," from Italian quaranta giorni, literally "space of forty days," from quaranta "forty," from Latin quadraginta "forty," which is related to quattuor "four" (from PIE root *kwetwer- "four"). So called from the Venetian policy (first enforced in 1377) of keeping ships from plague-stricken countries waiting off its port for 40 days to assure that no latent cases were aboard. Also see lazaretto. The extended sense of "any period of forced isolation" is from 1670s.

Earlier in English the word meant "period of 40 days in which a widow has the right to remain in her dead husband's house" (1520s), and, as quarentyne (15c.), "desert in which Christ fasted for 40 days," from Latin quadraginta "forty."
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=quarantine

quarantine (n.)
1660s, "period a ship suspected of carrying disease is kept in isolation," from Italian quaranta giorni, literally "space of forty days," from quaranta "forty," from Latin quadraginta "forty," which is related to quattuor "four" (from PIE root *kwetwer- "four"). So called from the Venetian policy (first enforced in 1377) of keeping ships from plague-stricken countries waiting off its port for 40 days to assure that no latent cases were aboard. Also see lazaretto. The extended sense of "any period of forced isolation" is from 1670s.

Earlier in English the word meant "period of 40 days in which a widow has the right to remain in her dead husband's house" (1520s), and, as quarentyne (15c.), "desert in which Christ fasted for 40 days," from Latin quadraginta "forty."

This isn't a thread about etymology. Come on. NO ONE just assumed that poster was talking about the middle ages. We are discussing the adjustment to the covid quarantine. Context matters.

quarantine (n.)

I appreciate the lesson but it's not needed. We aren't on a scholarly journey here. But as I said it's my learn something new today you can bet I won't forget it now :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter