My SIL Exposed My Mom to Covid

OK, let's say you see "Jane" on Saturday. On Monday, she calls to tell you she's tested positive for Covid. So you go get tested, right? When? Monday? What if that comes back negative? Do you test again on Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday? A week later? Or do you just quarantine for 14 days?
You shouldn’t test until 4+ days after exposure. The agency we’ve been using lately won’t test before that time, but you are to quarantine before and after testing.

I was in a meeting on the 16th with four people who later tested positive. I doubt we met the guidelines for “close contact,” but I had to assume we had. I started a 14-day quarantine immediately but waited a week to get a test. It was negative, but I still continued the quarantine. My kids are with relatives, and my Thanksgiving meal was left for me at my door. It sucks, but better safe than sorry. And tomorrow’s the last day.

As I just posted on another thread, I am so furious with stupid people who refuse to listen to the medical experts (mask, distance, wash) and with leadership that does not model and reinforce ways to help stop the spread. Selfish, clueless, bull-headed.....what else can be said?
Not necessarily. Where I live, we have had shut downs a couple times, the `leadership` are promoting and reinforcing them, however the cases and deaths numbers are rising. Modeling does no good otherwise we would live in a totally different country; being bull-headed is a subjective concept.
IMHO it is about personal responsibilty to self and the greater good. No one person is responsible.

I distinctly remember the days when HIV was pretty much a death sentence. (I lost two very good friends and a cousin) It was paramount that if you thought you were exposed or tested positive you notified former and current partners and that they notified theirs. Even though it’s very manageable now, it’s still the right thing to do. I look at this the same way.

eta: And this is why when I get the surveys about sending my kids back to school I check “no.”
Not at all the same thing. Please do your homework on transmission of COVID 19.

That's why people are reacting the way they are. You aren't, and I mean this as nicely as I can, acting in an ethical way at all. If you don't want to get tested don't but that should be because your whole family quarantines with you (and that's what happened when testing supplies were hard to come by). Having people with you and taking no true isolation precautions you could be knowingly and willfully spreading COVID around. If you lived alone and chose not to get tested and you actually quarantined there shouldn't be a problem with that. But you don't live alone and your explanation comes off as a cavalier attitude, even if you don't meant to, towards the exposure people in your community could have.
What this person is doing is exactly following the orders from the medical providers and health department in WI. A person identified as a close contact is required to quarantine, not anyone else in the same home. If that person becomes symptomatic then that person may get a test. Without symptoms tests are not supposed to be ordered by primary care providers. Test results as of Nov. 16 were taking 5-7 business days.

Someone in my house has been under a 14 day quarantine a total of three times in the last 8 months. My older son twice due to known exposure at summer camp and latch key, and my younger son once after a known exposure from another child at day care. We also have been quarantined as a household due to pending test results twice, the third time we had pending test results I was told that I did not have to quarantine and could stay at work.

What this person is doing is exactly following the orders from the medical providers and health department in WI. A person identified as a close contact is required to quarantine, not anyone else in the same home. If that person becomes symptomatic then that person may get a test. Without symptoms tests are not supposed to be ordered by primary care providers. Test results as of Nov. 16 were taking 5-7 business days.

Someone in my house has been under a 14 day quarantine a total of three times in the last 8 months. My older son twice due to known exposure at summer camp and latch key, and my younger son once after a known exposure from another child at day care. We also have been quarantined as a household due to pending test results twice, the third time we had pending test results I was told that I did not have to quarantine and could stay at work.

this is the dis. If you don’t do it the way the members here see fit you aren’t doing it right. It’s the whole “my way is the right way.” Ive seen it on social media too.

I’m in NJ. We had one of the strictest stay at home orders starting in March. When that was lifted in May I went to the beach with some friends. (Beaches finally opened and outdoor groups were allowed at 25). Well why did I even mention that here. I followed the guidelines for my state and I was still “wrong.” You can’t win around here.

Not at all the same thing. Please do your homework on transmission of COVID 19.
I was referring to the responsibility of notifying people that you’ve been exposed not transmission. I don’t need to do my homework on anything, I know how both work. Please read the discussion. If you’ve been exposed to a positive case notifying the people you’ve been in contact with is the right thing to do. It could save someone’s life. Purposely gaming the system so that you won’t be inconvenienced is morally and ethically wrong.

I wasn't questioning whether they were doing what their health department said; read back in my comments where I did I even mention the health department? Look I highly doubt we'd all be commenting the way we are if that person hadn't said they didn't want to be tested because if they were positive that would mean their family would have to quarantine. That's because they are not wanting to disrupt their family but they could be spreading it. I was very clear to me it wouldn't be an issue if their whole family was quarantining or if they chose to isolate elsewhere. If you don't get tested that's because you're only affecting you. At this point the person doesn't care about the other people; it strikes a chord with people very understandably so.

this is the dis. If you don’t do it the way the members here see fit you aren’t doing it right. It’s the whole “my way is the right way.” Ive seen it on social media too.

I’m in NJ. We had one of the strictest stay at home orders starting in March. When that was lifted in May I went to the beach with some friends. (Beaches finally opened and outdoor groups were allowed at 25). Well why did I even mention that here. I followed the guidelines for my state and I was still “wrong.” You can’t win around here.
I actually don't disagree with you but I think there's a point where you (general you) have to weigh the options of disclosing such information. Disclosing that you don't want your family to have to quarantine if you end up positive so you'll just not take a test (what you don't know won't hurt you right? is the saying) should get you eyebrows raised on and off social media. People may not end up vocalizing that you should but I think most people would at least question is that really a good thing to do what they want to do they may just not actually say it.

Well that’s not how it works everywhere. For my husbands work, if anyone in the household is a close contact and is under quarantine then he is not to return to work until the household quarantine is finished and he has a negative test even though he was not the initial primary contact. And you don’t have to go to a primary care physician to get a test...the local health department here does drive by testing for anyone who wants one. CVS does testing for anyone who is a close contact even without symptoms with a 2-4 day turn around for PCR. Rapid testing for antigen is same day.

What is irritating is the poster said they would not get a test without symptoms even though they were a close contact with an entire family they cared for that had COViD. They didn’t want to test because if they were positive then the rest of their family would have to start quarantine the day of the positive test and that was simply too inconvenient. So they are totally fine with possibly being an asymptomatic spreader (which we know 40% of people are), potentially passing it to their spouse and kids, and letting their spouse and kids go out and about as potential spreaders too. If I was deemed a close contact of a positive, I would quarantine and I would keep my kid home from school. What if I gave it to my kid and they gave it to another child? Even though the health dept doesn’t require it, I would do it because it’s the right thing to do. I don’t want to contribute to possible spread, and I would feel awful if I was responsible for giving it to others. But I guess some people aren’t concerned with that...

Ant least the poster should have isolated from their family if they weren’t willing to get tested in order to minimize chances of their family getting infected and spreading it to others.

Guidelines, not "orders".
If we want to be serious about stopping the spread then we need to take responsibility for our own actions.
Getting tested after being in close contact with an entire family that has tested positive seems like a no-brainer, regardless of what the guidelines suggest.
There are many places where the criteria for being tested isn't limited to showing symptoms. Direct contact with a COVID positive person fits that criteria here.
It goes right along with what we as individuals can do. We wear our masks, we social distance, we avoid large gatherings, some go to extremes like not going anywhere. Getting tested after being in close contact with a family for who knows how long is just part of that.

Guidelines, not "orders".
If we want to be serious about stopping the spread then we need to take responsibility for our own actions.
Getting tested after being in close contact with an entire family that has tested positive seems like a no-brainer, regardless of what the guidelines suggest.
There are many places where the criteria for being tested isn't limited to showing symptoms. Direct contact with a COVID positive person fits that criteria here.
It goes right along with what we as individuals can do. We wear our masks, we social distance, we avoid large gatherings, some go to extremes like not going anywhere. Getting tested after being in close contact with a family for who knows how long is just part of that.

And in my area most places will not test you if you show no symptoms. Including my own hospital system and a few other major systems. Most places require a prescription too. There’s no consistency.

And in my area most places will not test you if you show no symptoms. Including my own hospital system and a few other major systems. Most places require a prescription too. There’s no consistency.

Walgreens and CVS, nationwide, will provide tests to asymptomatic contacts of positive individuals. No symptoms required. Covered by insurance. They have partnered with a Healthcare company and have their own doctors who "order" the tests. Most medical providers in our area are prioritizing people with symptoms as well, so it is harder to get a test ordered by a local physician. Requires, in some cases, more than one symptom.

What about your urgent cares?
We have a couple that will test you without symptoms or Rx, but of course you have to pay out of pocket.

Walgreens and CVS, nationwide, will provide tests to asymptomatic contacts of positive individuals. No symptoms required. Covered by insurance. They have partnered with a Healthcare company and have their own doctors who "order" the tests. Most medical providers in our area are prioritizing people with symptoms as well, so it is harder to get a test ordered by a local physician. Requires, in some cases, more than one symptom.
Tried Walgreens, couldn’t not get an appointment.

Then why get the test? That's my point? I get I've (hypothetically) been exposed and I should quarantine. But if I don't have any symptoms, what's the point of getting the test if I'm going to remain quarantined regardless of the outcome?

A person in my sister's office is pregnant. She had been feeling ill and had been tested a few times all negative. They said the nausea is from the pregnancy. She had one test done on a Thursday morning and they said stop coming in, it's your pregnancy. She went to work and in the afternoon started running a fever. Called the doctor and they said no we just tested you.

Friday morning she wakes up and has no taste or smell and still has a fever. Calls her doctor. They say your test was negative but come in because of new symptoms. That test is positive.

During the day on Thursday she took her mask off while sitting alone in her office. Not thinking she walks out of the office and starts talking to 2 others in the office. My sister walks out of her office and asks her where is your mask? Sister was about 20 feet away.

Everyone in the office has to quarantine for 2 weeks. They test at 5 days after exposure and one other person is now positive. At day 9 they test again. One more positive. Day 14 they test again so those who are not positive at this point can return to work on Monday. The third person tests positive. My sister was the only one who never tested positive.

The second and third person who tested positive did not have symptoms when they tested. However, after the positive test they did become symptomatic and one now has pneumonia but is not hospitalized.

So to answer your question, the third person had no symptoms but was required to have that negative test at day 14 before going back to work. He received his positive results Sunday morning. He still did not have symptoms on Monday so he would have gone to work as an asymptomatic spreader. Tuesday afternoon is when he lost his taste and smell. He is the one with pneumonia.

Tried Walgreens, couldn’t not get an appointment.
If that's because of supplies I treat it differently. I can't fault a person who can't get a test because the supplies aren't there (the area may be rationing testing kits so they make tighter restrictions on who qualifies for a test). But the poster who started the conversation about not wanting to get tested didn't mention there being a supply issue at least I don't remember.

What about your urgent cares?
We have a couple that will test you without symptoms or Rx, but of course you have to pay out of pocket.
There are urgent cares by me in NJ that will test without symptoms and go through insurance, but you need to line up hours before they open and hope to get in.

There are urgent cares by me in NJ that will test without symptoms and go through insurance, but you need to line up hours before they open and hope to get in.

The ones I checked here have you make an appointment for your test.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter