Who thinks the CDC will roll back their new mask rules from two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Costco today (Michigan). I didn’t see one person (employees or customers) without a mask (including me - I have been fully vaccinated since the end of February).

I found it encouraging that folks were masking up even when they didn’t have to. I expected to see at least a few people without a mask, but I didn’t. Not a one and Costco was crowded.

I went to Costco today (Michigan). I didn’t see one person (employees or customers) without a mask (including me - I have been fully vaccinated since the end of February).

I found it encouraging that folks were masking up even when they didn’t have to. I expected to see at least a few people without a mask, but I didn’t. Not a one and Costco was crowded.

My sister took my Mom to Horrocks Market yesterday afternoon and said possibly 2 or 3 people weren't masked and it was very busy as it would be on a nice Saturday in May in Michigan. :) And I'm assuming they were outside as they were going over to get flowers.

Not going to debate this with you, especially if you’re going to cherry pick. I clearly said, whether you agree they worked or not, the fact remains CA put a lot of effort into getting the numbers down. That is a fact. And I never said we were the only ones who suffered and sacrificed.

As are the facts about our vaccination efforts. Our case counts. And our percent positive.

Actually, you keep implying that California suffered more than anyone else. You also imply that your numbers are because of all of the hard work. what is cherry picking about that? I'm asking you: where's your proof that all of your so-called hard work paid off? I don't see any evidence that supports your claims.

States yes. But states cannot prevent private businesses from making their own rules, like requiring employees to be vaccinated.
Sure they can, just like they've been forcing private businesses to play by their rules for the last 15 months. As of right now I'm only aware of one business that is going to attempt to require employees to be vaccinated, Delta Airlines, and that only for new hires. They may back track when when they find out how much business they are going to lose. 25 states currently have legislation pending that would ban either requiring vaccination by employers in the state or by the governments in that state.

Actually, you keep implying that California suffered more than anyone else. You also imply that your numbers are because of all of the hard work. what is cherry picking about that? I'm asking you: where's your proof that all of your so-called hard work paid off? I don't see any evidence that supports your claims.
I didn't say any of that. I never said we suffered more than anybody else. I did say we suffered. We did; I live here, so can say that with authority. I also very clearly said multiple times whether one believes the mitigating factors helped or didn't, our numbers are impressive. I never once claimed the mitigating factors had any part of it - I said some will believe they did and some won't. You want to keep downplaying how well California is doing and the facts are against you on that.

But I am truly done discussing this with you.

How funny, I just had friend from MI post a photo of her and her DD (both vaccinated) in a grocery store without masks.
She’s repeatedly said she doesn’t know if the extra mitigation efforts helped or not. You seem to want to keep skipping that part. The original context of that conversation was that CA was doing really well and they are. Lowest positivity rate in the nation. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Took my DS to get a haircut today -- and for the first time since they reopened mid-May last year, masks are now optional instead of absolutely required. Not one person was wearing a mask (customers or employees). I was kind of surprised.

DH went to Kroger today -- normally this Kroger has about 70-80% mask compliance (it's on the other side of the county line and they've never had a county mandate at any time despite Kroger having a mask policy). Anyhow, he went there today -- he said about 10-20% were wearing masks.

Was at Costco yesterday (Kalamazoo) and it was about 98% wearing masks still. All employees were wearing one.

Are you saying that your brother is vaccinated and is very ill with the Indian variant? I thought that in countries where that variant has spread (particularly Britain) only the unvaccinated were getting sick with that variant. If that's not the case, then that's really, really bad news.

My state dropped the mask requirement on Friday at midnight, and almost immediately nearly every business in our area dropped their mask mandates right away. It's frustrating to me, because I have two partially vaccinated children (they got their first doses on Thursday) and one child who is not eligible to be vaccinated until July 20th. This will really restrict their summertime activities - I can have them wear masks when we go places, but I'm in a pretty anti-vax county and I expect unvaccinated people to shed their masks pretty immediately, so the kids wearing their masks won't be enough protection. :(

The UK seems to be fairly concerned by this variant. Professor Anthony Harnden, from the University of Oxford who is the deputy chair of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation stated - The vaccines may be less effective against mild disease but we don't think they're less effective against severe disease. But in combination with being less effective against mild disease, they're almost certainly less effective against transmission.

COVID vaccines almost certainly less effective against transmission of B.1.617.2 variant, says UK expert-World News , Firstpost

The CDC on the other hand doesn't even list the India variant as a variant of concern.

SARS-CoV-2 Variant Classifications and Definitions (cdc.gov)

I don't go anywhere unless I have to not because I feel unsafe, but because I don't want to have to wear a mask to do the things I used to love doing, and until that changes, I'd simply rather not do them. I.E if I can't go to Stateline Nevada and play Video Poker or watch football at the bar at Buffalo Bills without having to wear a mask even while drinking, I don't want to go. It's as simple as that. I mask when I do my necessary weekly errands and I don't complain about it, but it still robs the fun and joy out of being able to do things I once enjoyed doing, like going to the batting cages at Scandia.

I live in California, and as far as I know we're still under a "must mask" mandate.

i have to agree with you. To house myself and eat I still have to travel and deal with in person conversations a lot, security mask suck. Facial expressions are an important part of body language. Tone of voice muffled is harder to read.

mask are fun suckers

In Maryland our Governor dropped the state-wide mask mandate on Friday. I am happy to report that my local grocery stores and Walmart have taken down all their Masks Required signs at the entrances. In the grocery I'd guess about 25% were unmasked and smiling away at each other too. Even the store employees must have a choice because 2 of the 6 cashiers were maskless.

I find it kinda funny that so many posters that were touting the CDC as the End All, Be All, are now saying they have no credibility and this is political. Good grief.

I still have not found the podcast but the term is negativity bias. You are not unique.

https://www.psycom.net/negativity-bias

View attachment 575302
This is valid but I think it misses the point. When I think of how many people refused to particpate in their lives (read this thread) because they couldn't bring themselves to wear a mask. I have to question the point here. Thousands were dying and people thought a tiny little mask was too much, "bad".

Last edited:
I've been unmasked for the past several months unless a place required it. It has been refreshing to see many more people in stores without them. Signs have been removed at most places. We are eliminating them from being required in kids' activities here, and schools removed requirement to wear them outdoors.

The only place I know of that asks people to leave is "Panda Express," which is funny, because there are 10 other options that don't in the same strip mall, so I just left. My choice, their choice, no big deal.

I've been unmasked for the past several months unless a place required it. It has been refreshing to see many more people in stores without them. Signs have been removed at most places. We are eliminating them from being required in kids' activities here, and schools removed requirement to wear them outdoors.

The only place I know of that asks people to leave is "Panda Express," which is funny, because there are 10 other options that don't in the same strip mall, so I just left. My choice, their choice, no big deal.
It’s interesting how different areas are implementing the masks. Our state lifted the mask mandate unless in government buildings. In my area, it is mixed on if a business requires them. Our schools have never required masks outdoors at recess or if actively participating in a sport.

Panda Express is insane, its def one of the strictest places in our area which is very loose.

I hope we can all continue this discussion without getting it shut down. We are adults and it's nice to see people discussing/debating without name calling and vitriol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter