Who thinks the CDC will roll back their new mask rules from two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely with you. I'm quite surprised that Costco of all places isn't using the tools in front of them to remedy the situation though. Costco would be well within their rights and might even draw a few Sam's Club converts like me if they actually enforced their rules and cancelled the memberships of those that did not follow their rules.
I do wish places could enforce the rules more across the board because some places or just specific locations have have but then I'm reminded of the videos that surfaced (several of them at Costco) for why with screaming and spitting and just awful immature attitudes from people. People are so combative and downright smug at times for getting away with things. I can understand why they would hope people would be honorable. Maybe that's why we all have reason to be skeptical that people are going to honor this honor system when we didn't seem so good at it before.

About three months ago.

What I'm saying is, I would feel more comfortable if the CDC waited for a larger percentage of the population to become vaccinated before making this change. Maybe 70% is asking for too much, but 50% is within reason and would've been a relatively safe number to start dropping our shields, but 36% I feel is just a bit too soon.
The problem I have with what you posted is the percents. As of Friday morning 46% or the adult population is fully vaccinated and 55% have had at least one dose. It does not seem prudent to continue to penalize those who are vaccinated with a mask mandate. Posters who are pro mask keep pointing out that you can still get and spread Covid even after vaccinated. The CDC has said if full vaccinated the risk of either is very minor. One Virologist stated that it is lower chances of spreading Covid than spreading the flu. Last thing, on variants all testing has shown that the vaccines have so far been effective against the known variants. Now we all can come up with cases of that extreme exception, it does happen-but so does people dying of the flu still happen. The point is - it is time to get back to normal.

My fully-vaccinated flight attendant brother-in-law has been flying internationally pretty much throughout the pandemic for work. He was in India a few weeks ago for work, and now he's in isolation with a variant that doesn't care that he's vaccinated; he's drastically ill. No thanks, I'll keep wearing my mask for awhile longer.
Your BIL chose to continue flying. I'm sorry he's sick, but this was his choice. According to the State Dept, the only countries US citizens should visit ( pandemic-wise) are New Zealand and Australia, but neither country wants us!

Everyone should do what's right for themselves. I just don't think mask mandates should continue.

I’m in Florida and (not me) I’d say majority of the state hasn’t been wearing a mask properly since day one. Plus, they never got in any trouble for not wearing them, so it just enabled more people not to. Idk it’s saddening a public health issue has become something it isn’t and such disagreement between our fellow neighbors.

What’s there to be concerned about? Mind your own business and protect yourself as you see fit. Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing.
I don't disagree with you there, except when you're going into a place of business that has a policy or you are in an area that has a mandate. Without those fine do what you want, with those I'm going to be of the opinion you need to follow it. From what I understand where you live (if the other poster is correct) you would fall under Costco's unrevised policy. Personal responsibility would actually be you following the policy ironically.

I’m in Florida and (not me) I’d say majority of the state hasn’t been wearing a mask properly since day one. Plus, they never got in any trouble for not wearing them, so it just enabled more people not to. Idk it’s saddening a public health issue has become something it isn’t and such disagreement between our fellow neighbors.

Shouldn't this reassure you more now then? Florida has the oldest population in the country and has been open for a year schools and all. Compare the numbers between them and lockdown states with full mask compliance.

As an essential healthcare worker, I travel a lot for my job. In the past month, I have visited CA, IL, CO and WA. In every state, there were vaccination sites that were taking walk-ins. At this point I do not feel obliged to wear a mask, since vaccines are readily available to anyone over the age of 12.

I will wear a mask when required, but I will not wear a mask to protect people who refuse the vaccine.

Exactly. I'm delighted that the vaccines have proven to be so effective. Tired of people saying the doctors and scientists keep changing things. DUH, the longer this goes on, the more we are learning, and guidelines should be following accordingly. I don't know when this country became so anti science.

And I agree, the only people I will still wear a mask for inside is when there are younger children who still haven't been able to get vaccinated yet. Let those who choose not to get vaccinated infect each other, it's their choice.

I don't disagree with you there, except when you're going into a place of business that has a policy or you are in an area that has a mandate. Without those fine do what you want, with those I'm going to be of the opinion you need to follow it. From what I understand where you live (if the other poster is correct) you would fall under Costco's unrevised policy. Personal responsibility would actually be you following the policy ironically.

I think his point was that a company's policy doesn't = trespassing. If they want him to leave, they can ask him to leave and he will.

I do wish places could enforce the rules more across the board because some places or just specific locations have have but then I'm reminded of the videos that surfaced (several of them at Costco) for why with screaming and spitting and just awful immature attitudes from people. People are so combative and downright smug at times for getting away with things. I can understand why they would hope people would be honorable. Maybe that's why we all have reason to be skeptical that people are going to honor this honor system when we didn't seem so good at it before.
Those people are not going to change until someone holds them accountable. That has been a major societal shift that has happened in the last 30 years, and even more so in the last 10. Very few people, from kids through seniors, are actually held accountable for their actions. Once they find out there are consequences for their actions, most change their actions.

Shouldn't this reassure you more now then? Florida has the oldest population in the country and has been open for a year schools and all. Compare the numbers between them and lockdown states with full mask compliance.

You really can't do a fair comparison. Because of Florida's climate, people can spend a lot more time outdoors than we can in the northern states, which does help keep infections from spreading. Dining outside during the Winter months is impossible here.

Everyone has suffered through the pandemic, and everyone worldwide has suffered and sacrificed.
Yes, California closed a lot of businesses, but there is no evidence of cause and effect. If I am wrong , please cite the studies supporting the assertion that California's "strict mitigation factors" have been successful in combating the pandemic.

I am seeing that infection rates are going down nationwide, regardless of a state's restrictions.
Not going to debate this with you, especially if you’re going to cherry pick. I clearly said, whether you agree they worked or not, the fact remains CA put a lot of effort into getting the numbers down. That is a fact. And I never said we were the only ones who suffered and sacrificed.

As are the facts about our vaccination efforts. Our case counts. And our percent positive.

You really can't do a fair comparison. Because of Florida's climate, people can spend a lot more time outdoors than we can in the northern states, which does help keep infections from spreading. Dining outside during the Winter months is impossible here.

Conversely it's so hot in florida you can say people spend much more time INDOORS with air conditioning, especially since bars/restaurants have been open.

How about comparing WI and MN then?

I think his point was that a company's policy doesn't = trespassing. If they want him to leave, they can ask him to leave and he will.
Trespassing was never mentioned. Their point was they weren't going to wear a mask, Costco has a policy where if state or local mandates apply rules remain unchanged and even in places without mandates only fully vaccinated are able to shop without a mask, but since Costco didn't kick him out, ask him to leave or otherwise engage, he was fine to continue being the only person in the store without a mask (because well the other people were following the store's policy). I think I understood well enough what their point was. Whether he will leave or not leave wasn't really the discussion.

IIRC, because I did explore these discrepancies a bit a while back, the data collection process is county -> state -> CDC -> JHU. So there are some data delays as the information moves upward, and the state and county figures tend to be the most current while the state and higher figures are the most inclusive (because state-run and private pharmacy partners report directly to the state, not to the counties where they're located).

There's also a difference in how JHU calculates vaccination rates, at least when compared to my state's dashboard. They use the whole population as the denominator, while the state and county reporting use the vaccine-eligible population. So JHU's percentage is significantly lower because it includes everyone while the state percentages (at least in Michigan) haven't begun counting 12-15 yet and won't include <12 until there is a vaccine approved for them.
I agree they probably calculate if differently. It still is almost 2 million people short of the state count, so while the percentage being off could be explained, the only way to explain the actual count being off is that JH is delayed in updating their info. I get that happens, but when one (not you) debates a point, it’s usually in the best interest to use the most up to date numbers. And in this case, 15.5 million Californians fully vaccinated & a positive percent of 1.1% (which is the lowest in the nation), I feel confident in my statement that CA is doing well. Or as @wenrob said, kicking butt.

At this point Covid vaccines are approved for Emergency, but a lot of the infectious disease doctors believe the FDA will fully approve the vaccine before September. I hope it's sooner than later. When this happens, proof of vaccination will be required for a lot of activities: work, travel, concerts....

When freedoms are restricted, vaccination rates will go up.

At this point Covid vaccines are approved for Emergency, but a lot of the infectious disease doctors believe the FDA will fully approve the vaccine before September. I hope it's sooner than later. When this happens, proof of vaccination will be required for a lot of activities: work, travel, concerts....

When freedoms are restricted, vaccination rates will go up.

Depends on where you live then, because that's already illegal in some states.

This is true. Florida and California have similar percapita covid cases and deaths and they couldn’t be more opposite in their covid strategies.

The one where they said that fully vaccinated people no longer have to mask or social distance indoors?

I was expecting it to happen this year, but I feel like with only 36% of the population fully vaccinated, it's too soon to be relaxing our guard. We're just asking for another outbreak by doing this, even if it's not nearly as severe as the first two.

I wouldn't worry about it if the CDC had made this change when the US population was, say, 70% vaccinated, but 36% is just too soon, IMO.

CDC and these experts have lost all credibility.
Too many 180s and lies.

CDC and these experts have lost all credibility.
Too many 180s and lies.

Sadly, I agree. Which certainly doesn't help. :( I guess it's up to us adults to make the best decisions which as we know hasn't been golden this past year. I can't get the vaccine as of right now (plasma therapy and my doctors deciding) but I know Covid is real and I know I will certainly still mask up when out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter