Who thinks the CDC will roll back their new mask rules from two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no indication that vaccinated people are spreading the virus. They have determined that is highly unlikely to occur based on the low level of viral replication happening in vaccinated people.
And yet, there are those vaccinated who are testing positive. True, the number is low. I don't think we have enough info to really know if those breakthrough cases can spread the virus.

I’m in Florida and (not me) I’d say majority of the state hasn’t been wearing a mask properly since day one. Plus, they never got in any trouble for not wearing them, so it just enabled more people not to. Idk it’s saddening a public health issue has become something it isn’t and such disagreement between our fellow neighbors.
I am also in Florida. I am in Orange Country. I am seeing a very different picture. The majority of people in this area are masked. Even after this latest announcement, I have seen very little difference.

The Yankees were all vaccinated and contracted COVID.
CDC and the experts are clueless.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/16/yankees-covid-outbreak-reaches-nine-as-staffer-tests-positive/

How are they clueless? No one ever said the vaccine was 100%. From the CDC website:

• Vaccine breakthrough cases are expected. COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control. However, no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness in vaccinated people. There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19.
Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you mean by clueless. These threads move fast so maybe I'm missing something.

And yet, there are those vaccinated who are testing positive. True, the number is low. I don't think we have enough info to really know if those breakthrough cases can spread the virus.
They are finding that the load is really, really small and unlikely to spread and even less likely to spread between fully vaccinated people. No one said the vaccines were 100%. A couple thousand out of MILLIONS is pretty damn good.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/16/yankees-covid-outbreak-reaches-nine-as-staffer-tests-positive/
Grabbed headlines didn’t it? J&J is 76% effective. Seven of the eight had zero symptoms. The vaccine is doing it’s job. That should have been the headline.

We do have enough info to know. There have been studies. Testing positive via PCR does not equate to having enough viable, replicating virus being shed that is capable of infecting others. In those asymptomatic, fully vaccinated people, researchers were unable to extract viable virus. What they were able to get was viral fragments, incapable of viral replication in another host. This is the science that led the CDC to make this change in policy for fully vaccinated people. We now know, vaccinated people infected with asymptomatic Covid CANNOT spread the virus to others. And the vast majority of vaccinated people who contract the virus end up asymptomatic.

I don't think they will be rolling the guidelines back. Here is a recent quote from Dr. Fauci:

Anthony Fauci, chief medical adviser to President Biden, said during a discussion on Sunday about the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) decision to drop mask recommendations for fully vaccinated individuals that vaccinated people become "dead ends" for COVID-19.
Appearing on CBS's "Face the Nation," Fauci explained to host John Dickerson that fully vaccinated people can go without masks even if they have an asymptomatic case of COVID-19 because the level of virus is much lower in their nasopharynx, the top part of their throat that lies behind the nose, than it is in someone who is unvaccinated.
"So even though there are breakthrough infections with vaccinated people, almost always the people are asymptomatic and the level of virus is so low it makes it extremely unlikely — not impossible but very, very low likelihood — that they're going to transmit it," Fauci said.
Fauci added that vaccinated people essentially become "dead ends" for the virus to spread within their communities.
"When you get vaccinated, you not only protect your own health and that of the family but also you contribute to the community health by preventing the spread of the virus throughout the community," Fauci said. "In other words, you become a dead end to the virus. And when there are a lot of dead ends around, the virus is not going to go anywhere. And that's when you get a point that you have a markedly diminished rate of infection in the community."

Your BIL chose to continue flying. I'm sorry he's sick, but this was his choice. According to the State Dept, the only countries US citizens should visit ( pandemic-wise) are New Zealand and Australia, but neither country wants us!

Everyone should do what's right for themselves. I just don't think mask mandates should continue.

Yes it sure sounds like it was his "choice" to keep doing his job. He wasn't flying around the world for fun. He was paying his bills. For you to insinuate that he somehow got what he deserved because he chose to do his job is disgusting.

We weren’t promised zero, so low numbers are exactly what we should have expected.

I’m very reassured by the fact that so many of these are so mild they were only identified because the person involved underwent routine surveillance testing.

They aren't clueless. J&J is roughly 75% effective. If they're testing the entire team/organization, 8 positives would not be unusual. Breakthrough cases do happen. It's also important to remember that 7 of the 8 were asymptomatic and only picked up because of routine testing. That actually proves the vaccine is working the way they said. Lastly, while one is considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after J&J, the peak is actually 28 days post vaccination, so there is a good chance that they were exposed prior to being fully vaccinated. The team did lessen mitigation measures in April, when they met the % vaccination threshold.

So while not ideal, none of this should be shocking.

Well, now I wonder how long it'll be before Nordstrom relaxes its mask enforcement policy. Can a business enforce masks indefinitely even if the CDC says it's okay not to wear one anymore?

Well, now I wonder how long it'll be before Nordstrom relaxes its mask enforcement policy. Can a business enforce masks indefinitely even if the CDC says it's okay not to wear one anymore?

Don't you work in CA? The state still has mask mandates in workplaces, via Cal OSHA. Those are not set to expire until June 15, unless they announce a change. before then. Companies in CA are not technically allowed to change their rules for employees just yet.

Also, the CDC does not make policy. They advise on policy. That's it.

A private business can have all sorts of rules so long as they don't discriminate based on the usual features of a populaton (age, race, gender, and so on).

They can if they want to (so long as local laws allow for this). Just as places opted to not follow CDC's guidance before, they can now. It just so happens the shoe is on the other foot.

Don't you work in CA? The state still has mask mandates in workplaces, via Cal OSHA. Those are not set to expire until June 15, unless they announce a change. before then. Companies in CA are not technically allowed to change their rules for employees just yet.

Also, the CDC does not make policy. They advise on policy. That's it.

So once June 15th comes, it's likely that most businesses in California will allow its employees that are vaccinated to work without masks?

This is a warehouse I work in, so it can get hot and sweaty in there with all the physical activity and the relatively weak climate control. Working without a mask would be far less uncomfortable in this environment.

So once June 15th comes, it's likely that most businesses in California will allow its employees that are vaccinated to work without masks?

This is a warehouse I work in, so it can get hot and sweaty in there with all the physical activity and the relatively weak climate control. Working without a mask would be far less uncomfortable in this environment.

This is what everyone in CA is waiting to hear about. The governor made it sound like there would be no more "mask mandates" for businesses, but there would still be guidance. And, as mentioned already, businesses are always free to require masks for as long as they want, regardless of what the state mandates. He said on Friday that new mask guidance would be "coming shortly" but then he didn't actually make any updates announcements on Friday, so we might hear something this week.

Not going to debate this with you, especially if you’re going to cherry pick. I clearly said, whether you agree they worked or not, the fact remains CA put a lot of effort into getting the numbers down. That is a fact. And I never said we were the only ones who suffered and sacrificed.

As are the facts about our vaccination efforts. Our case counts. And our percent positive.
The people of California so agree with the statement above that there is now a recall vote on the Governor. The draconian rules and mandates hurt so many small businesses and caused tremendous unemployment (the state still have one of the largest unemployment rates). Yet the numbers on Covid cases and deaths percent wise are similar to Florida which did not require the same mandates. The people of California will ultimately decide if they agree the mandates were reasonable or not when the recount votes are tallied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter