Who thinks the CDC will roll back their new mask rules from two days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my DS to get a haircut today -- and for the first time since they reopened mid-May last year, masks are now optional instead of absolutely required. Not one person was wearing a mask (customers or employees). I was kind of surprised.

DH went to Kroger today -- normally this Kroger has about 70-80% mask compliance (it's on the other side of the county line and they've never had a county mandate at any time despite Kroger having a mask policy). Anyhow, he went there today -- he said about 10-20% were wearing masks.
And this is the problem, fewer than 50% of the population fully vaccinated and yet only 10 - 20% wearing masks. Inside.

Mask or pass? I guess it all depends on how badly you want that orange chicken.
This has me wondering if the Panda Express by me. I admit haven't been in there for a few years but we go by there all the time to get Jimmy Johns. I did always used to get the orange chicken though at Panda Express...hmm..now I want some lol

In Maryland our Governor dropped the state-wide mask mandate on Friday. I am happy to report that my local grocery stores and Walmart have taken down all their Masks Required signs at the entrances. In the grocery I'd guess about 25% were unmasked and smiling away at each other too. Even the store employees must have a choice because 2 of the 6 cashiers were maskless.

I find it kinda funny that so many posters that were touting the CDC as the End All, Be All, are now saying they have no credibility and this is political. Good grief.
I am in Montgomery County and we still have a mask mandate until 5/28.

They will walk it out to you if you won't wear a mask. So still doable, just crazy how strict they are for a fast food place. Wish ours had drive through.

LOL - I never...literally...never go there. I saw a commercial for wok steak and shrimp and was compelled. But, I ended up leaving. I didn't make a scene, I said thanks, and left. I haven't personally seen anyone make a scene for or against a mask, society is pretty civilized here.

They will walk it out to you if you won't wear a mask. So still doable, just crazy how strict they are for a fast food place. Wish ours had drive through.
They have a stack of paper masks and pointed it out. They said they couldn't serve anyone not wearing a mask. I wasn't the only one. Both our groups left.

And this is the problem, fewer than 50% of the population fully vaccinated and yet only 10 - 20% wearing masks. Inside.
I think if, just using the other person's place mentioned Kroger, was located in an area of high vaccination rate and low transience from other areas it can be looked at slightly differently the sheer number of non-masked people. But I'm not sure just how many of those places exist right now.

What % have antibodies from having the virus? People are much better now about staying home if they feel bad, and keeping a distance. I have zero worries about it, but I understand if others don't.

May I ask what does being a fast food have to do with being strict? I'm unaware of any literature that says being fast food means there's less risk so they should be less strict.
I think the intent of the post was they are strict in comparison to similar restaurants. Gas stations here never required masks, for instance. Most of these now have food counters.

May I ask what does being a fast food have to do with being strict? I'm unaware of any literature that says being fast food means there's less risk so they should be less strict.

Well when they are only letting 8 people in, no dining inside, and most people are doing online orders and pretty never in the store for more than 5-10 mins and easily socially distanced its kinda nuts especially being in an area where most restaurants and many fast food are back to 100% capacity and such.

I think the intent of the post was they are strict in comparison to similar restaurants. Gas stations here never required masks, for instance. Most of these now have food counters.
Maybe, but they said "for a fast food place". The implication, which is why I asked, seemed to be "meh they're just fast food they shouldn't have these rules."

They have a stack of paper masks and pointed it out. They said they couldn't serve anyone not wearing a mask. I wasn't the only one. Both our groups left.

:( Yeah mine if you call when you get there they will bring it out to you if want. Done that a few times or send DH in that doesn't mind wearing a mask....lol. They are literally the only place (outside of some doctors offices, but even then many made exceptions by scheduling first of the day or first after lunch) that has ever said you can't come in with out one.

This has me wondering if the Panda Express by me. I admit haven't been in there for a few years but we go by there all the time to get Jimmy Johns. I did always used to get the orange chicken though at Panda Express...hmm..now I want some lol
Our Panda Express is requiring masks even with our state mandate being lifted. We don’t go very often, but went a couple weeks ago and I just wore my mask so I’m not sure if they would challenge somebody who didn’t. It was take-out only.

What % have antibodies from having the virus? People are much better now about staying home if they feel bad, and keeping a distance. I have zero worries about it, but I understand if others don't.
I make this point all the time. There are many that have antibodies and it does offer protection. There are actually studies coming out now saying that the B Cell and T cell memory from actually having Covid are strong even eight months later. These don’t show up in your run-of-the-mill antibody tests. Yes, I know there’s some variability in that depending on the severity of the case, but there is more protection out there than just a vaccine that is not being counted.

Well when they are only letting 8 people in, no dining inside, and most people are doing online orders and pretty never in the store for more than 5-10 mins and easily socially distanced its kinda nuts especially being in an area where most restaurants and many fast food are back to 100% capacity and such.
Hmm..but they are letting people in I can understand why they want masks on. Really no one knows how long you'd be in there. Sometimes, just as an example, we've been in Panera and it's quick as can be other times it's painfully slow and Panera is one that has a lot of to go orders. Not that I don't understand but I think your point is less it's a fast food place and more the other stuff. I can go pick up an order at many food places and be in and out. I just didn't understand why being a fast food place meant they were supposed to be less strict.

I'm sure they will remove the mask requirement eventually, I guess I don't judge them for having it whether they are a fancy steakhouse or the fast food joint. Libraries around here still require masks even if all I'm doing is walking to the hold section, picking up my hold, checking out via a machine and walking right out seeing nary a soul but for the worker at the desk. But I do have the choice of curbside pickup or in some locations drive-thru which sounds like some other Panda Expresses don't have that option.

Our Panda Express is requiring masks even with our state mandate being lifted. We don’t go very often, but went a couple weeks ago and I just wore my mask so I’m not sure if they would challenge somebody who didn’t. It was take-out only.
That's sorta the interesting thing. I like never think about "will they say something to me or not" about not a mask if an establishment lists masks are required, I just wear the mask it's literally never a thought in my mind. It's interesting to hear both here on the DIS and elsewhere just how many people think about will a place of business call out someone as if that's the forefront of their minds and by calling out someone they often are speaking about themselves.

Also the interesting thing is the mention of the state mandate. Certainty some places only required based on a mandate either by the governor or local powers but others did it because it's a store/company policy (and if a mandate was later placed that just further backed it up). My state didn't even have a mandate until July 1st. I assure you places required masks prior to then and required them after the mandate at the state level lapsed March 31st (my county's was extended to April 30th). Costco, Menards, and a slew of other places all required them before my state did.

I do so appreciate this statement:

“People who are going to go maskless now were going to go maskless anyway post when these mandates lifted and still choose not to get vaccinated,” said Gottlieb

Because yup he's right on that one, hence why people had concerns about blanket rules. Interesting if in 2 weeks time suddenly the whole U.S. just up and stops caring. Maybe it will happen but it's def. been the case in the past, Gottlieb included, that timelines have always been risky to mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter