• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

White tents/cabanas at Magic Kingdom?

Is this the old smoking area?

Very likely. WDW continues to demolish these, in a search for more money, and to be politically correct....

It amuses me, to a degree.... I'm older (65), I DO smoke, DVC member, and I drop a good $6000 per vacation.... TWICE per year, about $12K a year.

All I can guess? No one actually wants me at WDW... OK :(. I can take a hint. My break even is next year....

Very likely. WDW continues to demolish these, in a search for more money, and to be politically correct....

It amuses me, to a degree.... I'm older (65), I DO smoke, DVC member, and I drop a good $6000 per vacation.... TWICE per year, about $12K a year.

All I can guess? No one actually wants me at WDW... OK :(. I can take a hint. My break even is next year....

So smoke outside the park?

I think probably that a lot of people just can't imagine having that much extra cash to basically burn & throw away on these things. It's unimaginable for a lot of us to have that much disposable income that you would even consider renting one of these. I know personally even tho we have DVC and we go about 3x a year the trips are always a stretch for us to budget for. We bargain hunt airfare on our shorter trips and drive down on our longer summer trip (as DH has a hybrid so that's too cheap for us to pass up). I scrimp & save & do without a lot in-between trips so I can buy Disney gift cards to pay for each trip while we're there. We don't buy tons of souvies any more while we're there either. Our biggest splurges are our TS meals (which we use TIW for). I guess there's just a lot more people out there who are better off than us than we ever knew. Since we always have someplace else where we NEED to spend the money (car repairs, college tuition, medical expenses, broken appliances etc) I can't imagine springing for one. But I guess if you do have it you're gonna spend it and not blink twice.

Politcally correct? LOL ok.....

Nothing to do with the fact that the world is changing and more and more people don't want to be around smoke.

I think you have to face the fact that smoking in America has become taboo pretty much everywhere except for a few states. I live in New York and it's been banned everywhere except outdoor public spaces. Our sports/entertainment arena (19,000 seat) has completely banned it, you used to be able to go outside to smoke but now they don't even allow that. No smoking allowed in bars or restaurants or pretty much anywhere anymore.

Having it banned here, it's so weird visiting a state like South Carolina where it's still allowed. As I non-smoker - I don't at all miss the stench invading all my clothes and soaking into my closet. I don't think smokers realize how easily it carries to non-smokers.

Just saying - I don't think Disney getting rid of more and more smoking areas is outside of the US standard. It really isn't about harassing smokers as it is about protecting non-smokers.

Interesting stat - smoking is down from 42% of US population in 1965, it was down to 20.9 % in 2005, and 16.8 % in 2014. Worldwide it is still much more prevalent though - and with Disney being an international destination it is surprising that they don't maintain smoking areas there more commonly than across the US.

Disney can create a new "Cabanaland" off the beaten path but make them permanent structures (to handle inclement weather) and have them air conditioned/heated. They could even include an exclusive bathroom for renters of these cabanas. This MIGHT make it worthwhile for a large group, especially with members that might need a break during the day. Although expensive, someone will always pay for exclusive use of something. The temporary structures without climate control don't interest me, but a more permanent one might when I'm traveling with extended family.

I think you have to face the fact that smoking in America has become taboo pretty much everywhere except for a few states. I live in New York and it's been banned everywhere except outdoor public spaces. Our sports/entertainment arena (19,000 seat) has completely banned it, you used to be able to go outside to smoke but now they don't even allow that. No smoking allowed in bars or restaurants or pretty much anywhere anymore.

Having it banned here, it's so weird visiting a state like South Carolina where it's still allowed. As I non-smoker - I don't at all miss the stench invading all my clothes and soaking into my closet. I don't think smokers realize how easily it carries to non-smokers.

Just saying - I don't think Disney getting rid of more and more smoking areas is outside of the US standard. It really isn't about harassing smokers as it is about protecting non-smokers.

Interesting stat - smoking is down from 42% of US population in 1965, it was down to 20.9 % in 2005, and 16.8 % in 2014. Worldwide it is still much more prevalent though - and with Disney being an international destination it is surprising that they don't maintain smoking areas there more commonly than across the US.

Yup - get this. Not complaining. Just that the net effect is to infringe on the elderly, that DID grow up this way.

Here is in interesting statistic: Within the MK, there are FIVE approved "dog waste" locations. There are TWO approved smoking areas. Anyone that is in that older group, still smoking? The data indicate that you are worth 2/5, or 40%, of a dog.

All I want to do is to go to WDW, and be treated equally with a dog. I'll die soon enough. I GET current US demographics, and don't argue with them. Please - just let me live out my life on an equal basis with a service animal :(. I won't bother your children - I'll go out of my WAY to not bother your children :(. Please - don't make me wear some kind of Badge :(. Just put me out of the way of the General Public, so NO one is unhappy..... perhaps just within the ENTANCE and EXIT of the existing Main Street Bypass, unused during daylight hours.

Yup - get this. Not complaining. Just that the net effect is to infringe on the elderly, that DID grow up this way.

Here is in interesting statistic: Within the MK, there are FIVE approved "dog waste" locations. There are TWO approved smoking areas. Anyone that is in that older group, still smoking? The data indicate that you are worth 2/5, or 40%, of a dog.

All I want to do is to go to WDW, and be treated equally with a dog. I'll die soon enough. I GET current US demographics, and don't argue with them. Please - just let me live out my life on an equal basis with a service animal :(. I won't bother your children - I'll go out of my WAY to not bother your children :(. Please - don't make me wear some kind of Badge :(. Just put me out of the way of the General Public, so NO one is unhappy..... perhaps just within the ENTANCE and EXIT of the existing Main Street Bypass, unused during daylight hours.
Ok that's a bit much. Disney is not equating people to dogs. You are able to live out your life in the two approved smoking locations. That's just the way it is.

Ok that's a bit much. Disney is not equating people to dogs. You are able to live out your life in the two approved smoking locations. That's just the way it is.

Thank you for your understanding :(. And thank you VERY much for allowing me to live out my life.

Last edited:
Thank you for your understanding :(. And thank you VERY much for allowing me to live out my life.

I think you should let Disney know this! Seriously though - I don't have an issue with smoking areas, as long as they are away from the general public. I think the one in AK on the path between Asia and Africa is a great location because it's off on it's own. There probably should be 2 or 3 per park.

Would you feel more like a normal Disney guest if they started charging you for access to the smoking section? You can smoke, but it's $49.95 per person.

The dog waste areas are for service animals, so they're there for the convenience of the people who need service animals. I think it's perfectly reasonable to give more consideration to people with disabilities than those who choose to smoke.

The dog waste areas are for service animals, so they're there for the convenience of the people who need service animals. I think it's perfectly reasonable to give more consideration to people with disabilities than those who choose to smoke.

Thank you for your understanding :(.

I think it's actually you who aren't understanding.

I will confess that I am a smoker too. Not a die hard one, but I enjoy smoking now and then. It's a choice you and I make. There are a lot of people in our culture who do not approve of our choice just like there are choices people make that I do not approve of. However, I understand most places have rules in place regarding smoking. I can either choose to accept the rules of the places I choose to visit or I don't visit. It's that simple. I am sure there are people who don't want their children or themselves exposed to smoke in a place like Disney where open public space is a bit limited. I get it. But Disney also gets that I enjoy puffing on a cigarette after spending 12 hours with my family instead of committing homicide so they make places where I can do that. They also recognize that smoking is still acceptable in some cultures and want to be sensitive to that as well. However, at no time is Disney valuing a customer less than anyone else simply because there are more places to relieve a service dog than a smoker. I'd prefer not to step in dog poop, thank you very much.

I think it's actually you who aren't understanding.

I will confess that I am a smoker too. Not a die hard one, but I enjoy smoking now and then. It's a choice you and I make. There are a lot of people in our culture who do not approve of our choice just like there are choices people make that I do not approve of. However, I understand most places have rules in place regarding smoking. I can either choose to accept the rules of the places I choose to visit or I don't visit. It's that simple. I am sure there are people who don't want their children or themselves exposed to smoke in a place like Disney where open public space is a bit limited. I get it. But Disney also gets that I enjoy puffing on a cigarette after spending 12 hours with my family instead of committing homicide so they make places where I can do that. They also recognize that smoking is still acceptable in some cultures and want to be sensitive to that as well. However, at no time is Disney valuing a customer less than anyone else simply because there are more places to relieve a service dog than a smoker. I'd prefer not to step in dog poop, thank you very much.

I would have done this when the kids were little so that we'd have a nice place to go back to so that they could rest and get away without leaving the park. I also would have done this if we had taken a trip with my mom and/or dad when they were still alive so they could have been able to join everybody at the parks but had a place they would have probably stayed at most of the time because they were elderly and couldn't really handle a whole day at the park. The way it looks though, most people won't have any use for them but I'm sure a few will.

That said, if they had them scattered around the different parks and you were able to hop from one empty one to another when going from park to park then I can still see the utility of having your own place to just sit down and get away for a little bit. I just don't know how they would have enough available that you'd always be able to find an empty one when you wanted it and without that guarantee then it wouldn't be worth $650 to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter