Poll- Your Pet peeves

My husband bought a tuxedo in his 20's because we cruise and also travel for business often. I guess I just do not get how people can pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and then show up looking like they just rolled out of bed to a formal dinner with the excuse that they have no where to wear the formal clothes and yet they have a CC platinum lanyard. That's 10 opportunities right there! (unless they only did little 3 day turn around cruises) I personally feel that dressing according to the code is a form of respect, but clearly as this thread shows, there are lots and lots of things that different people find to be disrespectful, so we can't win.

To be fair, DCL's own language states that formal wear is optional. While everyone might not be dressing to your standards, they aren't breaking any dress code by not wearing a gown and tux (or suit and cocktail dress).

Disney has relaxed their dress code in the MDRs and I can only assume it was based on their opinion of what a large number of their guests want.

For the record, we do dress up on formal night - suits for the guys and a dress for myself - no tuxes and gown, sorry - never going to happen. However I can honestly say that I couldn't care less what anyone else is wearing. We are simply too busy spending time together and having fun to worry about that at all!!

I wore a tux, but with a twist. Instead of the standard boring white shirt, tie and cummerbund, I wore an original Enchanted Tiki Room staff Aloha shirt.

I wore a tux, but with a twist. Instead of the standard boring white shirt, tie and cummerbund, I wore an original Enchanted Tiki Room staff Aloha shirt.

:thumbsup2 That is awesome! I can appreciate that.

My husband bought a tuxedo in his 20's because we cruise and also travel for business often. I guess I just do not get how people can pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and then show up looking like they just rolled out of bed to a formal dinner with the excuse that they have no where to wear the formal clothes and yet they have a CC platinum lanyard. That's 10 opportunities right there! (unless they only did little 3 day turn around cruises) I personally feel that dressing according to the code is a form of respect, but clearly as this thread shows, there are lots and lots of things that different people find to be disrespectful, so we can't win.

Pet peeve #1 people that tell me I need to get a suit or tux, pack it, wear it, or I am trailer park trash. If how I dress impacts your cruise or your life that is your issue not mine. Saying that on formal night I wear black pants, and a short sleeve button down dress shirt, sometimes with a tie and sometimes without. The one time I did pack a jacket the first thing I did when we sat down was take it off because I was warm, after that I figured why bother with the jacket. Personally I feel I am honoring the code, even before they relaxed it.

Pet peeve #2 people on the boards that feel that because they had a bad experience, anyone that says that they had a good experience or different experience is jumped on, that they are just drinking the DCL kool-aid, when they are just speaking their honest opinions. It doesn't make for a good discussion. Sometimes I think that the boards need a thread of "This sucked on my cruise' and allow people to straight up vent, and get it over with:)

I will say that the boards have given us some fun when we are on the ship. We now like to point out small blemishes on the ship, people in questionable dining attire, loud kids having fun, etc and joke what would be the reaction on the boards to these things.

My philosophy is don't sweat the small stuff, I try to make the most of each of my cruises, and don't let the people around me make or break my experience:)

cgolf

Wow there are a lot of complainers on here!! I saw a post a few pages back where a guy actually said he thought people wearing lots of clothes or swimwear annoyed him? He said especially religious or big people...disgusting he said. My pet peeve is rude people. My son has a autoimmune disease and HAS to wear a ton of gear to cover up in the sun or he risks having a disease flare. People do stare and it makes him really uncomfortable. If non fashionable and "big" people bug you then you should cruise a different ship. Disney is a lot of families and imperfect people!! Lighten up! Geez. Same guy is probably one of the people that rushed us at every elevator with our kid in a wheelchair so that we had to wait FOREVER to get anywhere! Perspective people. If you are healthy and on a Disney cruise life is pretty darn good for you!!

Pet peeve #1 people that tell me I need to get a suit or tux, pack it, wear it, or I am trailer park trash. If how I dress impacts your cruise or your life that is your issue not mine. Saying that on formal night I wear black pants, and a short sleeve button down dress shirt, sometimes with a tie and sometimes without. The one time I did pack a jacket the first thing I did when we sat down was take it off because I was warm, after that I figured why bother with the jacket. Personally I feel I am honoring the code, even before they relaxed it.

cgolf

Not sure why you quoted me? I never called you or anyone else trailer park trash nor did I say that black slacks and a button down dress shirt was disrespectful. I did say that people who show up to dinner ("like they just rolled out of bed") wearing sweat pants and a free t-shirt that they got at the state fair on formal night, disrespectful. I would hope that those people would not show up to a wedding, gala fundraiser or otherwise dressed that way, so why would they feel that they are entitled to dress that way to a formal dinner on a cruise ship?

Not sure why you quoted me? I never called you or anyone else trailer park trash nor did I say that black slacks and a button down dress shirt was disrespectful. I did say that people who show up to dinner ("like they just rolled out of bed") wearing sweat pants and a free t-shirt that they got at the state fair on formal night, disrespectful. I would hope that those people would not show up to a wedding, gala fundraiser or otherwise dressed that way, so why would they feel that they are entitled to dress that way to a formal dinner on a cruise ship?

Because I caught that if you spend X dollars to cruise you can afford nice attire for the dining room in your post and it hit a nerve. If you weren't implying anything about those of us that don't dress to the hilt, then my bad. But many on these boards freely take shots at people that don't like wearing formal attire and yours read like one of many I have seen.

And yes we will be on our 10th cruise and still no jacket for me, but will have a tie;). Being that we are on our 10th cruise we know how to pack the bare minimum too, which doesn't include a bulky dinner jacket to wear one night. I also generally only pack 3 or 4 dress shirts and 1 pair of tan pants and 1 pair of black pants to rotate for the different dinners. Like I posted, I probably wouldn't even get a second glance from you because I would be close enough, but I am curious as to why you do care about what others wear in the Mdrs?

but I am curious as to why you do care about what others wear in the Mdrs?

Like I stated before, I feel that dressing appropriately for the occasion is a form of respect. So for me, I feel that if the dress code is "black tie optional" shorts and a t-shirt do not meet the dress code and that person should not be admitted. The clubs in Vegas, Chicago, LA, NYC, etc. all enforce dress codes and people follow them and many of those people are on "vacation" so why are Disney cruisers above respecting the dress code? Many other cruise lines will send someone away if they fall below the standard dress code for the MDR and I see nothing wrong with that (within reason, like, slacks and a tie on black tie optional should get a pass vs shorts and a "Hard Rock Cabo San Lucas" tank top).

Perhaps I am just a 90 year old woman trapped in a 30-something's body and want people to still treat travel like a luxury, who knows?

Like I stated before, I feel that dressing appropriately for the occasion is a form of respect. So for me, I feel that if the dress code is "black tie optional" shorts and a t-shirt do not meet the dress code and that person should not be admitted. The clubs in Vegas, Chicago, LA, NYC, etc. all enforce dress codes and people follow them and many of those people are on "vacation" so why are Disney cruisers above respecting the dress code? Many other cruise lines will send someone away if they fall below the standard dress code for the MDR and I see nothing wrong with that (within reason, like, slacks and a tie on black tie optional should get a pass vs shorts and a "Hard Rock Cabo San Lucas" tank top). Perhaps I am just a 90 year old woman trapped in a 30-something's body and want people to still treat travel like a luxury, who knows?

There is a difference between "optional" which it is on DCL and "required" which is actually what it is in those mythical clubs to which you refer.

Optional means that there is indeed a choice in what one wears. And on DCL people may freely exercise that choice.

If you want it required, try HAL where they not only require it, they require that you remain in it all night - no going back to your cabin to change after dinner. They definitely lost money at the bars that night with our group of "drinkers with a running problem".

Pet peeve #1 people that tell me I need to get a suit or tux, pack it, wear it, or I am trailer park trash. If how I dress impacts your cruise or your life that is your issue not mine.

:thumbsup2

I think my user names explains how I feel. My DH retired from the Marine Corps after serving active duty for 32 years as an officer. I sent all my expensive gowns, cocktail dresses and heels to the consignment shop. I don't even own a dress now. I wear dress pants and a nice blouse for formal night. As long as I don't see anyone overexposed :eek:... I don't care. If you want to dress like you are going to the queens ball....I don't care.

For me it is not how you dress, but how you treat people. I have sat with people that were respectful to the dress code, but very disrespectful and rude to a server team that while they were having issues were really trying, and complained about this that and everything during meals, that made meals very uncomfortable at times for us. I would have much preferred a friendly and courteous under dressed tablemates. Clothes don't make the person, our personalities are what make us:)

cgolf

I get where you are coming from, MunFam. You don't like Disney's optional dress code - Everybody is entitled to their opinion. The only problem I would have is if you treat those opting out of the optional code as if they are doing something wrong, here or on the ship.

Personally, I would probably go in khakis and a dress shirt, no tie. Unfortunately, my DD9 loves to dress up. Since she will be in here favorite white dress, I'll throw on a nice suit and tie and enjoy the evening!

My husband and son both worse khaki shorts and tee shirts on formal night. I asked them both if they wanted to dress up and they said they are not dressing up on vacation. Who am I to argue that?

I wore leggins and a long black shirt. Honestly I don't understand the fascination with dressing up on a cruise. Like there's not enough luggage to pack, I'm personally not going to deal with formal attire as well.

My one pet peeve is how skimpy the ladies dressed on formal night. My husband called it "dress as a prostitute night". ;)

I don't care what someone else wears, but in general I just can't stand trashy attire (and no, I'm not overweight). Formal implies classy to me. So although I wasnt wearing a dress, I still think I looked more approprate than most the women.

Problem is people on both sides get offended easily when their point of view is seemingly attacked...it's cool...no big deal...at least you weren't there for my clothing pet peeve...

During an adult night trivia game a lady was so drunk she started taking her dress off right then and there! What she called underwear were not at all covering anything...the hilarious announcer just stared and then tried to quickly divert people's attention from her while her husband or significant other tried helplessly to get her clothed again...:scratchin

People who try to get on the elevator before letting the people already on the elevator out! That really drives me crazy.

Problem is people on both sides get offended easily when their point of view is seemingly attacked...it's cool...no big deal...at least you weren't there for my clothing pet peeve...

After my pet peeve about the optional formal night comment, I did mention how we enjoy pointing things out when on board that we know some complain about on the boards and s get a good laugh about it.

Having gone on the 4th cruise on the Magic post drydock, reading the boards before we left, you would would have thought the Magic was falling apart and was in terrible condition. It was the best cruise we had to date, excluding Hawaii, and while they were working on some stuff, the Magic was in the best condition that we have ever seen.

I just hate dressing up, so I am very glad DCL has a relaxed policy and I can skip the jacket:)

I get where you are coming from, MunFam. You don't like Disney's optional dress code - Everybody is entitled to their opinion. The only problem I would have is if you treat those opting out of the optional code as if they are doing something wrong, here or on the ship.

Personally, I would probably go in khakis and a dress shirt, no tie. Unfortunately, my DD9 loves to dress up. Since she will be in here favorite white dress, I'll throw on a nice suit and tie and enjoy the evening!

The topic of this post was pet peeves...which to me translates to those little minor annoyances that get under your skin but you do not act upon in any way, shape or form. That is exactly my view on dressing for an occasion anywhere in the world. I also side eye women in bootie shorts going in to the cathedrals in Rome or not wearing head coverings in the middle east. Is it my place to correct them? Absolutely not. Will I think to my self, "why on earth do they think they are above conforming?" Sure I will.

With regards to tux vs. slacks vs. cotton shorts and a t-shirt...I think there are levels of dress...some things slide and others just do not. Cruise casual is just that...casual. But black tie optional, to me, does not translate to "If you packed your tux, by all means, if not, go ahead and show up in your beach wear." It means dress in the nicest attire you feel comfortable in. For my father, that would be slacks, a very nice Western dress shirt, a cowboy hat and nice boots. He wore a tux for about 45 minutes to walk me down the aisle and that was it...his whole life, but he still makes an effort. There are definitely people who do not feel obligated to make any effort what so ever and I find that disappointing/disrespectful both to the cruise staff as well as the other cruisers on board and that is what transpired in to my pet peeve.

Seams like the reasonable solution for Disney would be to ask upon booking if you plan to participate in the Formal Night, then group the dinning rotations accordingly.

The topic of this post was pet peeves...which to me translates to those little minor annoyances that get under your skin but you do not act upon in any way, shape or form. That is exactly my view on dressing for an occasion anywhere in the world. I also side eye women in bootie shorts going in to the cathedrals in Rome or not wearing head coverings in the middle east. Is it my place to correct them? Absolutely not. Will I think to my self, "why on earth do they think they are above conforming?" Sure I will.

With regards to tux vs. slacks vs. cotton shorts and a t-shirt...I think there are levels of dress...some things slide and others just do not. Cruise casual is just that...casual. But black tie optional, to me, does not translate to "If you packed your tux, by all means, if not, go ahead and show up in your beach wear." It means dress in the nicest attire you feel comfortable in. For my father, that would be slacks, a very nice Western dress shirt, a cowboy hat and nice boots. He wore a tux for about 45 minutes to walk me down the aisle and that was it...his whole life, but he still makes an effort. There are definitely people who do not feel obligated to make any effort what so ever and I find that disappointing/disrespectful both to the cruise staff as well as the other cruisers on board and that is what transpired in to my pet peeve.

But again, you are missing the fact that word is OPTIONAL. NOT "required" or even "recommended".

Optional means that you do have a choice. It is an OPTION you have and can choose to take or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter