Monorail Drink-A-Thon

Thank you WLL, what is the official bar stops on the monorail drink-a-thon? I want to do it in october.

Hi again!

I am not sure there are truly "official" places on the monorail line. As long as you stop at each resort and have an adult bevvie, that's "counts!" I know a lot of posters on this thread love the pool bars during the day. I guess at night, you could go to the California Grill lounge, although I think that gets crowded???

I'll scope out the locations when i am there in Sept. My DH will be VERY upset about the OR lounge being closed...I think that might have been his favorite.

P.S....if you aren't properly sauced by visiting the GF, CR and Poly, (and at 3 drinks...who is?:confused3 ) don't forget to hop the boat from the CR and visit the WL. I LOVE :love: the Territory Lounge. So warm and cozy!

It was closed at something like 9:00pm when we stayed there in 2005! I really wanted to try one of those "Dirty Martinis". :sad1:

Again, it's up to me to keep this thread alive :sad2:

6 months without any action!

Hey, WLL, how was SOG? I'm interested.

Hi everyone! I've missed you lushies :).

I was listening to a pod cast last month and it mentioned the Catwalk Bar at the Brown Derby in MGM. I am very bummed I missed going there. It was open one trip and then closed the next :(.

Wow, I haven't been here in years! I got an email from DIS saying someone posted on the board but I hadn't received one in a very long time. I see the same people who met at Monorail #1 are still here. Hello everyone! I actually think of my fellow lushes every time we go drinking at Disney (which is often, I admit).

Just wanted to say hi.

My wife and I are taking my brother, his wife, and two other couples in October for the food & wine and I thought it would be cool to do the "Monorail Crawl" while there, and everyone agreed. The way I have it planned is to hit every hotel off the monorail...and every bar in each hotel. Not sure if we will do this all in one sitting but maybe do an afternoon crawl to all the outdoor bars then head back to eat, maybe jump in the pool and recharge, then go out in the evening for all the indoor bars. No matter what it is going to be a blast with my family and friends.
tom

Wow! What a blast from the past! Especially seeing Ctrabada here! How are you? How is it going? We are all doing well here. Geez, what year was it that I met you at RFC? Seems so long ago! Any WDW trips in your future?

Luv-Hey there! Thanks for reviving the thread! SOG was ok. I mean, it was a great value for what it was...it just seemed kind of "plain." I would stay there again...excellent location, just not very "Disney" like. Oh, and we did the buffet one night and it was truly awful. Bad food and also the tables around us were dirty our entire meal, stuff on the floor around us, etc.

Since then I have stayed at the SWAN for my 40th (didn't like it as much as the Dolphin, for sure) and drank way too many mojitos by the pool! Then, in September, we stayed at Beach Club and now I am SPOLIED! Again, we did the mojito thing by the pool.

We are trying to plan something for this Sept again. Our passes expire end of Sept and we won't renew for awhile. We want to get one more good trip in!

Hi Robin! That is too bad about the Catwalk...i hadn't even heard of it! We are not big MGM goers...although DD and I rode Rock N Rollercoaster for the first time ever and now she is addicted to it, so i see more MGM trips in our future!

Hi Lynn! The originator! How are you?

Tom-You will definitely have a blast...please come back and post about your monorail drink-a-thon!

I, too, am happy to see all my old friends again!!

We just returned last night from a trip to the World, and I thought of you all when we did our Monorail crawl! We started at Fort Wilderness, and then did Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian (both Tambu & Pool), Grand Floridian, and then Contemporary for fireworks. We sure had fun!!

I look forward to hearing about all your adventures coming up - it will be awhile til we go back. This was our fourth trip since August, and coming from Seattle, that will just have to hold me for awhile!! :lmao:

Luv-Hey there! Thanks for reviving the thread! SOG was ok. I mean, it was a great value for what it was...it just seemed kind of "plain." I would stay there again...excellent location, just not very "Disney" like. Oh, and we did the buffet one night and it was truly awful. Bad food and also the tables around us were dirty our entire meal, stuff on the floor around us, etc.
Sorry to hear that, WLL. I'm going to advocate that my folks stay in a Disney resort, gotta go all out! :thumbsup2

I, too, am happy to see all my old friends again!!

We just returned last night from a trip to the World, and I thought of you all when we did our Monorail crawl! We started at Fort Wilderness, and then did Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian (both Tambu & Pool), Grand Floridian, and then Contemporary for fireworks. We sure had fun!!

I look forward to hearing about all your adventures coming up - it will be awhile til we go back. This was our fourth trip since August, and coming from Seattle, that will just have to hold me for awhile!! :lmao:

4th trip since August and you are in SEATTLE??? Wow, I am feeling very deprived right now. I live exactly 3.5 hours (driving) away, and I am also not going until this September!:sad2:

Your crawl sounded great! Did you drink at that little bar inside the Trails End Buffet? What kind of drinks did you have at each bar?

Luv-well, I mean, if I got a superb deal, I would saty there again, but my DH and I felt it was like a "poor man's wilderness lodge" decor-wise. It just lacked "öomph." If your parents don't go often, then i would definitely say they should stay somewhere more exciting/Disney! Let us know what you/they decide!

So now that this thread is finally revived...and I read almost 6 pages until realizing it was from 2004!!!!! IS anyone going next week? I'm a teacher and finally on my Sb woo hoo!! Just the place I wanna go....get away from a classroom of kids only to be surrounded by millions:rotfl:

We're ready to go around the world and would love some company. We'll be there 7,8,9th. :banana:

So now that this thread is finally revived...and I read almost 6 pages until realizing it was from 2004!!!!! IS anyone going next week? I'm a teacher and finally on my Sb woo hoo!! Just the place I wanna go....get away from a classroom of kids only to be surrounded by millions:rotfl:

We're ready to go around the world and would love some company. We'll be there 7,8,9th. :banana:

Oh, I am so envious! I sure won't be there, but have a drink for me at the TL at WL...will ya?:goodvibes

4th trip since August and you are in SEATTLE??? Wow, I am feeling very deprived right now. I live exactly 3.5 hours (driving) away, and I am also not going until this September!:sad2:

Your crawl sounded great! Did you drink at that little bar inside the Trails End Buffet? What kind of drinks did you have at each bar?

I got lucky this year - it seemed like opportunities just kept arising - like a conference in Orlando! Plus, I am writing a guidebook for Disney (adult Disney, if you can believe it, so the Monorail Crawl is research!!)

The crawl was awesome, but I have to admit, we didn't do any signature drinks. We did have a drink in the little bar in Trails End - it was SLAMMED because the NCAA tournament was on TV ( a double bonus for me!)

Then:
* at Wilderness Lodge - they have a pretty darn good Cosmo!
* at Polynesian - a mojito
* at Polynesian pool - a vodka tonic
* at Mizner's - a glass of sparkling wine
* at California Grill - a glass of red wine

So, nothing too exciting, but believe me, we had PLENTY!! Luckily, it was spread over 8 hours....

Sure was fun. I am already mourning the lack of any planned trips coming up. It FEELS like we will never go again, but it does seem like things work out in my favor quite often...:woohoo:

LUCKYBUG618 - Have a GREAT Spring Break! I am envious, since ours just ended. Wish we were just starting too! Wish I could join you on your Crawl, but I will have a drink with you from Seattle...

I got lucky this year - it seemed like opportunities just kept arising - like a conference in Orlando! Plus, I am writing a guidebook for Disney (adult Disney, if you can believe it, so the Monorail Crawl is research!!)

The crawl was awesome, but I have to admit, we didn't do any signature drinks. We did have a drink in the little bar in Trails End - it was SLAMMED because the NCAA tournament was on TV ( a double bonus for me!)

Then:
* at Wilderness Lodge - they have a pretty darn good Cosmo!
* at Polynesian - a mojito
* at Polynesian pool - a vodka tonic
* at Mizner's - a glass of sparkling wine
* at California Grill - a glass of red wine

So, nothing too exciting, but believe me, we had PLENTY!! Luckily, it was spread over 8 hours....

Sure was fun. I am already mourning the lack of any planned trips coming up. It FEELS like we will never go again, but it does seem like things work out in my favor quite often...:woohoo:

LUCKYBUG618 - Have a GREAT Spring Break! I am envious, since ours just ended. Wish we were just starting too! Wish I could join you on your Crawl, but I will have a drink with you from Seattle...

I realize I am such a monorail crawl poseur, because I never mix up my drinks! If I start with red wine at the first stop, I will be drinking red wine at every stop. Same with chardonnay, or mojitos, or vodka sodas. I do love a good dirty martini, but have found that is doesn't work when making more than 2 or 3 stops maximum! That's just too many dirties.:scared1:

I don't drink cosmos often anymore, but you MUST try the cosmo at Blue Zoo at the Dolphin. Best cosmo I ever had....a little different than the norm.

I have been disappointed with the mojitos on WDW property lately...at the Dolphin is was a mix of sprite and sour mix.:eek: (I know technically that is not a WDW resort, but just sayin'!)

An adult guide to Disney, you say? Hmmmm...I am trying to think if I have any suggestions. My DH and I have gone twice sans child, both times for our anniversary (8th and 10th.) I can't say i know of anything that you probably don't already know. We did the Epcot Segway tour, dined at V&A's...hmmm...I will try to think of something to add to the book!

I will say, you should (and you probably already are doing this) have a section about the kids' clubs on property. Every trip we make, we put DD in a kids' club at least once. She has been going since she was 4, and we have actually tried almost all of them, I think. Sandcastle at BCV (her least favorite) Cubs' Den at WL a few times, Simba's Cubhouse at AKL a few times, Neverland at Poly, and her all time favorite that we keep going back to...CAMP DOLPHIN. Miss Thelma has been working there forever and is so well known, great with the kids, etc.

Anyway, I think the camps tie in with your "adults" theme because even if you can't get away without the kiddos, you can at least steal away for a few hours! Oh, Camp Dolphin gives you 2 hours free if you dine at BZ or Shula's.

Just wanted to throw that out there...feel like I am contributing in some way! I love Disney with and without my little princess, so your book is a great idea. Please make sure to let us know when it is finally done!

I realize I am such a monorail crawl poseur, because I never mix up my drinks! If I start with red wine at the first stop, I will be drinking red wine at every stop. Same with chardonnay, or mojitos, or vodka sodas. I do love a good dirty martini, but have found that is doesn't work when making more than 2 or 3 stops maximum! That's just too many dirties.:scared1:

I don't drink cosmos often anymore, but you MUST try the cosmo at Blue Zoo at the Dolphin. Best cosmo I ever had....a little different than the norm.

I have been disappointed with the mojitos on WDW property lately...at the Dolphin is was a mix of sprite and sour mix.:eek: (I know technically that is not a WDW resort, but just sayin'!)

An adult guide to Disney, you say? Hmmmm...I am trying to think if I have any suggestions. My DH and I have gone twice sans child, both times for our anniversary (8th and 10th.) I can't say i know of anything that you probably don't already know. We did the Epcot Segway tour, dined at V&A's...hmmm...I will try to think of something to add to the book!

I will say, you should (and you probably already are doing this) have a section about the kids' clubs on property. Every trip we make, we put DD in a kids' club at least once. She has been going since she was 4, and we have actually tried almost all of them, I think. Sandcastle at BCV (her least favorite) Cubs' Den at WL a few times, Simba's Cubhouse at AKL a few times, Neverland at Poly, and her all time favorite that we keep going back to...CAMP DOLPHIN. Miss Thelma has been working there forever and is so well known, great with the kids, etc.

Anyway, I think the camps tie in with your "adults" theme because even if you can't get away without the kiddos, you can at least steal away for a few hours! Oh, Camp Dolphin gives you 2 hours free if you dine at BZ or Shula's.

Just wanted to throw that out there...feel like I am contributing in some way! I love Disney with and without my little princess, so your book is a great idea. Please make sure to let us know when it is finally done!

You are awesome!! Thanks for the idea! Since we are now empty nesters, I didn't even think of adding information on the kids' clubs. However, when we went with my brother's family, I did do some research on them. I will be sure to include a section.

That is why I am writing the book in the first place. Every guidebook has like a paragraph on all of my favorite times to be in The World (Christmas, Food & Wine, etc.), so I decided to do an entire book on the special stuff beyond just rides... I am doing a chapter on each special event, and a chapter on adult Disney.

We were just there for our 10th anniversary, so we did both the Segway and V & A. We really love the Segways - this is our sixth Segway tour, including the Fort Wilderness one, which is really fun, and a non-Disney Segway tour in Celebration. It was really fun - and cheap! The tour guide takes you all over downtown Celebration.

Anyways, thanks tons for your contribution idea for the book. I really need to get it wrapped up!!

You are awesome!! Thanks for the idea! Since we are now empty nesters, I didn't even think of adding information on the kids' clubs. However, when we went with my brother's family, I did do some research on them. I will be sure to include a section.

That is why I am writing the book in the first place. Every guidebook has like a paragraph on all of my favorite times to be in The World (Christmas, Food & Wine, etc.), so I decided to do an entire book on the special stuff beyond just rides... I am doing a chapter on each special event, and a chapter on adult Disney.

We were just there for our 10th anniversary, so we did both the Segway and V & A. We really love the Segways - this is our sixth Segway tour, including the Fort Wilderness one, which is really fun, and a non-Disney Segway tour in Celebration. It was really fun - and cheap! The tour guide takes you all over downtown Celebration.

Anyways, thanks tons for your contribution idea for the book. I really need to get it wrapped up!!

excellent idea for a book. So many people that I talk to have NO IDEA that you can go to Disney World 10 times and have 10 different vacations. We get the Fl Resident Seasonal Passes, but we always let them expire and lapse and go to WDW and do things outside of the parks, with and without or 10 year old DD. There are a few rides I enjoy, but the rides are the least of my concern when I am there! Too much else to do. I can't wait to do another Segway tour, the Celebration one sounds fun (and the word "cheap"is alluring, too!)

We start right at 11am here's the order:

1) Rose and Crown - yards of Stella Artois while checking out the shops or just sitting on a bench enjoying a tasty beverage. Boddington's for my wife (if she isn't expecting of course) and mother in law.

2) Canada - a Moosehead (and often times two) from the stand (they usually tap it for the day as we're there). It's early so no Off Kilter yet but we'll be back for more Moose later.

We get some fries for my 3 year old at the McD's stand - as my father in law says, "He's never seen a fry he don't like".

3) Mexico - margaritas for the girls but I go for some nice Dos Equis (this oftens turn into two as well) while sitting on a bench, going on El Rio Del Tiempo multiple times, or doing Kipcot with the little guys. The new Tequila Bar will be an interesting twist come Sept / Oct - I hate the "T" word.

4) Norway - in true Norweigan fashion we go for the Carlsberg beers (huh) unless it happens to be cooler and rainy, then the girls do spiked coffees from the Kringla Bakeri og Kafe. You can spot us under the cover of the Stave Church if its rainy or sitting on the wall outside if it's a nice sunny day.

Maelstrom and checking out the Helly Hansen and the other shops are a must so the drinking must wait as we enjoy Norway (yes we watch the movie).

5) China - by now the Dragon Legend Acrobats could be close to a showtime and if so, we have to watch it. Since we're sitting here it's time for a Tsingtao and maybe an egg roll. This typically turns into two beers as parts of the group wander into shops, the 360 surround movie and enjoy the show.

One more thing to note on China - the girls don't enjoy the Tsingtao and they're sort of in the bag by now. Hopefully they don't get Plum Wine that has become popular with them lately. Yeah they just did - luckily they are happy drinkers that typically make the crowd around them happier - we aren't annoying anyone even though we're a third of the way around and we started early and fast.

6) The Outpost - Casablanca beers for everyone. Don't walk by this without realizing that you're not truly drinking around the world if you miss it.

7) Germany - sometimes we'll do a wine flight but more often these days it's just a Lowenbrau or two and a pretzel. If we don't do wine the girls start drinking slower here, afterall we have a 3 year old so we can't fall over or anything.

Since we have a another little guy now (5 months), my wife can't wait to get back and be part of this again. She hasn't been able to enjoy the frosty beverages of EPCOT in a while.

8) Italy - this is tough. Almost all of us are part Italian but we aren't huge fans of the beers but will tough it out. Luckily we all enjoy the wine flights and that's typically what we'll do.

We've had plenty of beers and we started a while ago so we're sharing wine at this point - don't want anyone to think we're drunkards. We're feeling good but we have our little guy with us and it's been hours since we started. Spreading it out tends to control the levels of the buzz. It's a nice mellow one right now though.

9) America - good ole USA, it's time for a couple nice, simple Bud Lights for me and my father in law. The girls might have one too. we'll check out anyone that's performing at the Pavillon and usually take some time to go see American Adventure as well. It's nice to be home!!

10) Japan - here we go again. My wife and mother in law go straight to the hot Saki. This is where my father in law plays off his inability to hang and grabs a Kaki Gori to stall for a while. I go get Kirin from the Yakitori House and then get me and him another one when he's ready to start again.

Cali rolls are pretty good here so we might split some of them too while listening to the drummers. Good spot for a picture too - love the view from this spot.

11) Morrocco - finally, after taking almost all day to get around to here we can have a Tangerine Cocktail. This very often turns into two each. If you haven't tried this you can get them at the back counter of the Moorish Cafe.

Depending on what we've eaten thus far we might get some hummus too - it's pretty good here but then again, anything might taste good at this point.

12) France - honestly, not my favorite country in the World Showcase but there's some decent options here for a drink. There's the lemonade drink that my wife gets sometimes, a Royal Kir (champagne drink), wine flights or good old Kronenburg beers. I'll usually do beer to not cause too much more damage.

Note: not sure why I don't enjoy France since it has a great bakery, decent drinks, good wine, a pretty good movie and nice shops. I think it might be because we enter EPCOT from the Boardwalk / back entrance and sometimes we turn right at the bridge. As you can see, I like going left to the UK to start the insanity. I think France gets the raw end of the deal in my mind because of this fact only.

By now we're feeling very good (until monring). We've defintely drank a lot but are surprisingly in control. We have to be since we have our 3 year old there. He's had a great day too since we stop and do all the kidcot booths and go on all the rides, etc.

It's almost time for Illuminations and we've seen it so many times that a good seat doesn't really matter. I enjoy heading back to the UK or even Canada and watching from there. Since we're there we might as well fill those yards with some more Stella from Rose and Crown or go to Canada and get some more Moose. This is where we might get a shoot to see Off Kilter depending on the time.

This last drink it the best because we just had a great day and are all together watching a show that always makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have a such a great family.

We're defintely buzzed and happy but hey, it's vacation!!!!
The drinks aren't free but hey, it's vacation!!!!

More often than not this doesn't happen exactly as planned and we spend large amounts of time in certain countries, etc. This is really more what we used to do and looking back, it's pretty impressive. It's about the kids now (including my wife, sons, in laws :-) - whatever they all want to do is fine too. Luckily we all enjoy a beverage many times while at Disney.

Join us if you want - Aug 28th - Sept 13th of this year. We'd be happy to take some others on this Magical Trip Around the World - bring your drinkin hat!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter