• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail Drink-A-Thon

lynn71092

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere on the Disboards something about getting on the Monorail and stopping at different places for drinks. I thought it was different resorts but doesn't the Monorail only go through the Contemporary Resort? Has anyone out there done something like that? It sounds like fun.
Thanks!:wave:

The monorail has 4 stops. Three of the four have places with booze. One of the four is 99.9 percent dry -- there is only one place to get booze and its pretty hard to get in. (Plus, you probably wouldn't want to go there if you've been drinking heavily at the other 3.)

If you're talking about getting plastered, disney resorts are pretty expensive places to buy drinks, and if you're visibly drunk you can be refused admittance to the monorail.

Last time I was at the world, we didn't do a monorail drink-a-thon but we did do an Around the World. For those of you who havent heard of the game it's your basic college drinking game where you go from one dorm room to another. Each room has its own specialty drink, and you basically drink yourself around the world or the dorm. This however works EXTREMELY well at Epcot. Two of my friends and I did this, and I should warn you it really needs to be split up into 2 days if you intend on drinking at all the countries or take an entire day to do it, because no one wants their children exposed to the "college atmosphere." However very fun and each country features specialities beers wines and liquors from their homeland :drinking:

and for reference sake the drinks ranged from $3-6 (this was a year and a half ago) so coming from NYC I think it's really quite reasonable

No, Lark, certainly not getting plastered. Just a drink at each place, which in my case would be a beer.
Thanks for the info!:wave:

You could get on the resort monorail at the TTC and stop at the Poly, the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary. All have lounges with drinks available.

Have fun!!!

You should see whether you can finagel getting into club 33, the place where you can drink in the Magic Kingdom. That would be kind of cool -- then you can have a beer in all 4 places along the monorail.

It's still not going to be cheap! I think even a beer at the GF is like $7.

not to sound like the board's alcoholic but trust me when I say this...as I've done this quite a few times.

start off at Ohana bar (not sure about contemp and gf, tho if you can make it over to cali grill, they have some good stuff there)...have a few pina coladas, mai tais and whatever else you like.

head over to the monorail (be respectful, we can keep it in :p)

goto MK

and ride space mountain as many times as possible...thunder mountain is quite a treat as well...if you want to be mean, get on the speedway :p

part 2

pick up your fastpasses from mission space or test track...go around the world (start at mexico, helloooo margaritas) and do all the countries. we don't go inside the restaurants, we just pick something up from the stands.

you can also check out on your lil journey, malestrom!, el rio de tiempo (a nice place to relax with your margarita), and journey into imagination. then go hit up the thrill rides!

its so much more fun...mission space will knock you off your feet, and test track is quite a treat.

we've done this a few times, but we're completely respectful, we dont go around being loud and obnoxious because I refuse to ruin other families' (especially with children) experience at the parks.

if you can keep it in, give it a try!

oh and as for drink prices, disney world has nothing compared to south beach prices...so its allll good :crazy:

I have did the "Country Crawl" at Epcot during our Christmas '01 vacation. It was a blast and can be accomplished in one day. For a price each country can give you a sample drink (smaller drink portions and less than regular price). That way you can 'crawl' to each country without literally crawling back to your hotel.

My friends and I do this every trip. We usually start at the Contemporary's Outer Rim Lounge, then proceed to the Polynesian's Tambu Lounge before ending with a nice scotch at the GF's Mizner's Lounge, usually when the orchestra is in full swing. The return voyage is the most memorable of all.

If you're REALLY feeling adventurous (and your liver can handle it), you can start at Territory Lounge, WL's drinking hole, and then take the boat to the Contemporary for the beginning of your trek

Saturday (10/16), the crowds were crazy at MK. My DH really did not want to be at WDW, anyway. Midday, we needed a break. I made a deal.

We hopped on the monorail and went to the Contemporary's Outer Rim Lounge to have a few beers and watch part of the Auburn Game. (I have no idea who they were playing).

My husband was "tickled pink" the rest of the night and did not complain one bit after that!

Good idea.

Oops -- that's exactly right. Man, moving from coast to coast has me all confused. That's right -- there is no place to get booze in MK as far as I'm aware.

Wow -- that's almost as bad as when I was 6 hours late for a conference call because I calculated the time difference in reverse.:mad:

We just took this "tour" Friday. We stayed at the GF where we started ....then to the CR..... then to the Poly and finished back at the GF!;) We knew we could walk/weave our way back to our room from Mizners. :rolleyes:

I'm convinced, We're doing the monotrail trek as well.

We'll start at the Polynesian, which bar should we hop to at GF? and I read that we should goto the Outer Rim at the Contemp...

we just need one more to finish the puzzle :p

:crazy: w00p!

I love this! Maybe my DH and I will do the monorail drinking thing next time. We are going this weekend for F&W (I actually call it "Beers around the World") and MNSSHP. My parents (who live in Orlando) will babysit our DD7 on Saturday and we plan to enjoy a beer at (almost) every country (I admit it, I have a pretty high tolerance, but I can't handle all the countries during F&W). We will be staying onsite so neither of us has to drive. We only do this once a year, but I never really thought about stopping at a lounge in each monorail stop.... hmmmm....

...laughing at this thread! :p I love the un-wholesomeness of it. ;)

I have no tolerance whatsoever. But then, I'm 49 and feel like I'm getting drunk just reading the thread.

I get one of those little wine coolers from one of the resort stores and then I'm lucky to get my contacts out of my eyes before I fall asleep.

Happy monorail drinking! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter