Monorail Drink-A-Thon

We start right at 11am here's the order:

1) Rose and Crown - yards of Stella Artois while checking out the shops or just sitting on a bench enjoying a tasty beverage. Boddington's for my wife (if she isn't expecting of course) and mother in law.

2) Canada - a Moosehead (and often times two) from the stand (they usually tap it for the day as we're there). It's early so no Off Kilter yet but we'll be back for more Moose later.

We get some fries for my 3 year old at the McD's stand - as my father in law says, "He's never seen a fry he don't like".

3) Mexico - margaritas for the girls but I go for some nice Dos Equis (this oftens turn into two as well) while sitting on a bench, going on El Rio Del Tiempo multiple times, or doing Kipcot with the little guys. The new Tequila Bar will be an interesting twist come Sept / Oct - I hate the "T" word.

4) Norway - in true Norweigan fashion we go for the Carlsberg beers (huh) unless it happens to be cooler and rainy, then the girls do spiked coffees from the Kringla Bakeri og Kafe. You can spot us under the cover of the Stave Church if its rainy or sitting on the wall outside if it's a nice sunny day.

Maelstrom and checking out the Helly Hansen and the other shops are a must so the drinking must wait as we enjoy Norway (yes we watch the movie).

5) China - by now the Dragon Legend Acrobats could be close to a showtime and if so, we have to watch it. Since we're sitting here it's time for a Tsingtao and maybe an egg roll. This typically turns into two beers as parts of the group wander into shops, the 360 surround movie and enjoy the show.

One more thing to note on China - the girls don't enjoy the Tsingtao and they're sort of in the bag by now. Hopefully they don't get Plum Wine that has become popular with them lately. Yeah they just did - luckily they are happy drinkers that typically make the crowd around them happier - we aren't annoying anyone even though we're a third of the way around and we started early and fast.

6) The Outpost - Casablanca beers for everyone. Don't walk by this without realizing that you're not truly drinking around the world if you miss it.

7) Germany - sometimes we'll do a wine flight but more often these days it's just a Lowenbrau or two and a pretzel. If we don't do wine the girls start drinking slower here, afterall we have a 3 year old so we can't fall over or anything.

Since we have a another little guy now (5 months), my wife can't wait to get back and be part of this again. She hasn't been able to enjoy the frosty beverages of EPCOT in a while.

8) Italy - this is tough. Almost all of us are part Italian but we aren't huge fans of the beers but will tough it out. Luckily we all enjoy the wine flights and that's typically what we'll do.

We've had plenty of beers and we started a while ago so we're sharing wine at this point - don't want anyone to think we're drunkards. We're feeling good but we have our little guy with us and it's been hours since we started. Spreading it out tends to control the levels of the buzz. It's a nice mellow one right now though.

9) America - good ole USA, it's time for a couple nice, simple Bud Lights for me and my father in law. The girls might have one too. we'll check out anyone that's performing at the Pavillon and usually take some time to go see American Adventure as well. It's nice to be home!!

10) Japan - here we go again. My wife and mother in law go straight to the hot Saki. This is where my father in law plays off his inability to hang and grabs a Kaki Gori to stall for a while. I go get Kirin from the Yakitori House and then get me and him another one when he's ready to start again.

Cali rolls are pretty good here so we might split some of them too while listening to the drummers. Good spot for a picture too - love the view from this spot.

11) Morrocco - finally, after taking almost all day to get around to here we can have a Tangerine Cocktail. This very often turns into two each. If you haven't tried this you can get them at the back counter of the Moorish Cafe.

Depending on what we've eaten thus far we might get some hummus too - it's pretty good here but then again, anything might taste good at this point.

12) France - honestly, not my favorite country in the World Showcase but there's some decent options here for a drink. There's the lemonade drink that my wife gets sometimes, a Royal Kir (champagne drink), wine flights or good old Kronenburg beers. I'll usually do beer to not cause too much more damage.

Note: not sure why I don't enjoy France since it has a great bakery, decent drinks, good wine, a pretty good movie and nice shops. I think it might be because we enter EPCOT from the Boardwalk / back entrance and sometimes we turn right at the bridge. As you can see, I like going left to the UK to start the insanity. I think France gets the raw end of the deal in my mind because of this fact only.

By now we're feeling very good (until monring). We've defintely drank a lot but are surprisingly in control. We have to be since we have our 3 year old there. He's had a great day too since we stop and do all the kidcot booths and go on all the rides, etc.

It's almost time for Illuminations and we've seen it so many times that a good seat doesn't really matter. I enjoy heading back to the UK or even Canada and watching from there. Since we're there we might as well fill those yards with some more Stella from Rose and Crown or go to Canada and get some more Moose. This is where we might get a shoot to see Off Kilter depending on the time.

This last drink it the best because we just had a great day and are all together watching a show that always makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have a such a great family.

We're defintely buzzed and happy but hey, it's vacation!!!!
The drinks aren't free but hey, it's vacation!!!!

More often than not this doesn't happen exactly as planned and we spend large amounts of time in certain countries, etc. This is really more what we used to do and looking back, it's pretty impressive. It's about the kids now (including my wife, sons, in laws :-) - whatever they all want to do is fine too. Luckily we all enjoy a beverage many times while at Disney.

Join us if you want - Aug 28th - Sept 13th of this year. We'd be happy to take some others on this Magical Trip Around the World - bring your drinkin hat!!!!!

Wow, now that is IMPRESSIVE!!!:worship:
:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

I can't believe this thread has all but disappeared - I used to look forward to daily updates from you all. Since I don't get to go as often as I would like, I lived through your trips!

Just planning for an upcoming trip in December (Finally! Hooray!!), and MUST try the Monorail Drink-A-Thon again - it has simply been too long!

I did find a really cute Drink Around the World Showcase passport online - it is FREE with a small shipping charge. The site is DrinkAroundtheWorldShowcase.com; I ordered for our December trip, and will let you know how it goes. I made my own (as I reported long ago on this thread) and was excited to find one already made up and cute. :thumbsup2

:goodvibes Will be watching for updates from you all!

Helloooo!:cool1:

Wow, glad you revived the thread. I was quite a regular...cannot believe it has been 15 months since my last post! It was April of 2009 that we purchased the home we are now in. It is a fixer upper in a neighborhood I always dreamed of being in but never thought I could afford. We are enjoying the process, but alas, the budget has taken a hit and WDW trips are fewer and farther between! We went to WDW in Sept 2009 (we always take a fall trip, do MNSSHP and F&W) and stayed at BCV. Went again for a non park trip in May, stayed two nights an AKV-Kidani. Looking to rent points again for our fall trip...but it is really going to have to be on the cheap, as money is tight!

I will check out that passport, sounds so cute! How is your book coming along?

ok this will be our first monorail drink a thon what are the normal stops

Leaving from the Poly so will stop at Tambu and then?

What bar is at GF and CR?

After that do we take a cab to AKL and WL which would be the more efficient way to go WL first or AKL? What about the lounge at CSR?

Also how late are the lounges open in Sept?

TIA

Hi everyone! What a pleasant blast from the past :cool2:.

Looking to rent points again for our fall trip...but it is really going to have to be on the cheap, as money is tight!
Have you considered staying offsite? There is a special offer through All Ears that you get 3 nights in a 1-bedroom at Sheraton Vistana Villages for only $199 ($225 with tax): http://allears.net/acc/faq_villages.htm . We booked it for our August trip but canceled it because we're doing free dining instead. I know staying offsite is not conducive to drinking around the world ... ;).

ok this will be our first monorail drink a thon what are the normal stops

Leaving from the Poly so will stop at Tambu and then?

What bar is at GF and CR?

After that do we take a cab to AKL and WL which would be the more efficient way to go WL first or AKL? What about the lounge at CSR?

Also how late are the lounges open in Sept?

TIA

So, while they are not monorail resorts, they are MK resorts, so I always start at Fort Wilderness around 3:00 PM. I like their little bar, and sometimes we sit on the porch while we have our drink.

Then we boat to Wilderness lounge and have an appetizer and drink (the lounge opens at 4:00). Sometimes, when we are really committed, we do the pool bars too!

Then we boat to the Contemporary and jump on the monorail. We do Tambu lounge, then Mizners (GF), and try to end at California Grill (Contemporary) for fireworks.

I've never added AKL -- hmmmm.... :lmao:

Shockingly, I've never been in the lounges when they close. Since we always time our ending with fireworks, that is our only concern. Then we bus to downtown Disney (unless MK is still open), to take a bus to our home resort.

Have fun!!! :drinking:

Helloooo!:cool1:

Wow, glad you revived the thread. I was quite a regular...cannot believe it has been 15 months since my last post! It was April of 2009 that we purchased the home we are now in. It is a fixer upper in a neighborhood I always dreamed of being in but never thought I could afford. We are enjoying the process, but alas, the budget has taken a hit and WDW trips are fewer and farther between! We went to WDW in Sept 2009 (we always take a fall trip, do MNSSHP and F&W) and stayed at BCV. Went again for a non park trip in May, stayed two nights an AKV-Kidani. Looking to rent points again for our fall trip...but it is really going to have to be on the cheap, as money is tight!

I will check out that passport, sounds so cute! How is your book coming along?

I certainly understand the budget stuff - our business has taken a hit during the economy downturn, so we've also been staying close to home (last time we went was in July, 2009 - I don't think we've ever had a full year between trips since I started my book!) I sure am looking forward to our December trip - love the lights so much!

My book is still moving forward, but slow-going. I had planned to run the marathon in January, but my sister had hip-replacement so we are waiting til January 2012. I think that is my last event to review... In the meantime, still working on Halloween. :hmghost:

Looking forward to this thread taking off again - I've missed you all!

Robinb-Not to sound like a snob...but I really, really, REALLY don't want to stay off site. I actually go to Orlando for other things..I have relatives there. They always say..."why don't you stay with us, we are only 20 minutes away from WDW!." I decline, because staying on property *is* going to Disney for me. I swear, it is not really about the parks for me. When our passes lapse, we do non park WDW trips...always staying on site.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I am NOT being snobby...I don't want to stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress or any fancy hotel near Disney...I *NEED* to be on Disney property....for reasons I cannot quite explain.:confused3

Your DD is growing sooooo fast! Mine too. *sob* Is your starting middle school this fall? I just can't stand it. I am sad that she has NO interest in the Princesses anymore. I will admit, I see families with little girls dressed up, ooohing and aaahing over everything, and I am a wee bit jealous! My DD would like to venture over to IoA soon. It's killing me!

You know what else is killing me? That she is considered an "adult" and buffets and character meals. She did not even eat her money's worth at the kid's price. Now it kind of makes me rethink booking the buffets (which I LOVE...Boma is my favorite for breakfast AND dinner) because it is not worth it.

disneyholic-looks like our big fall trip has been downsized...looking at renting points to stay in an AKV studio for 2 nights only. We have done MNSSHP *EVERY* year since my DD was 4, so it is a non negotiable tradition as far as I am concerned!

I like that little bar at FW, too! And the Territory Lounge at WL is one of my favorites.

bluejasmine-You are very adventurous, adding AKL in there! I will say...that is a VERY nice lounge (Victoria Falls.) Have a great trip and report back to us!

OK have planned out how we are doing our drink a thon.. We hit AK one morning at RD then head over to AKL for late CS lunch(dont care for CS at AK) and over to Victoria Falls, bus it back to AK and take the bus to WL after that boat to CR, monorail to GF and finally ending at our home resort the Poly Tambu lounge and the our CL Lounge for snacks and cordials..

May try and find out how much taxi is from AKL to WL to cut some of that travel time instead of having to take two buses.. Anyone have any experience?

WIll defanitely report back on our drink a thon!

AND I first met Aiden'sMom (Beth) at the Drink-A-Thon and we still meet up whenever I get to Disney (which is NEVER enough)!!!

:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1

very cool! Do you think we could get Aidensmom to make an appearance on this thread?

I really wish Ahhhhhhh would show up.

Sadly, she was kicked off the Disboards.:confused3

what? that's just crazy. PM with details if you don't mind. If you don't want to, I understand, I am just curious.:confused3

I guess when you get banned from the DIS...they block your ISP address?

I got punished once...my signature was taken away and I could not send or receive PMs for about a month (I think that's how long it was) and I felt like a naughty schoolgirl!

I also am not trying to be nosy, but I didn't know a person could get kicked off the boards. What kinds of things would cause a reprimand or removal?

I love trip planning! Have a trip coming up in December - so, what is your #1, very favorite adult beverage on the Monorail Drink-a-thon? (Please include Wilderness Lodge in your responses - I am excited we are staying there!)

BEER!!
:drinking1:drinking1

Sorry, not a hard liquor drinker, but according to the thead the Lapu Lapu seemed very popular along with the Backscratchers, I think those were both at the Polynesian.

I got lucky this year - it seemed like opportunities just kept arising - like a conference in Orlando! Plus, I am writing a guidebook for Disney (adult Disney, if you can believe it, so the Monorail Crawl is research!!)

The crawl was awesome, but I have to admit, we didn't do any signature drinks. We did have a drink in the little bar in Trails End - it was SLAMMED because the NCAA tournament was on TV ( a double bonus for me!)

Then:
* at Wilderness Lodge - they have a pretty darn good Cosmo!
* at Polynesian - a mojito
* at Polynesian pool - a vodka tonic
* at Mizner's - a glass of sparkling wine
* at California Grill - a glass of red wine

So, nothing too exciting, but believe me, we had PLENTY!! Luckily, it was spread over 8 hours....

Sure was fun. I am already mourning the lack of any planned trips coming up. It FEELS like we will never go again, but it does seem like things work out in my favor quite often...:woohoo:

LUCKYBUG618 - Have a GREAT Spring Break! I am envious, since ours just ended. Wish we were just starting too! Wish I could join you on your Crawl, but I will have a drink with you from Seattle...

To me , that looks like a quality crawl!

"To crawl, or not to crawl? That is the question!

I love trip planning! Have a trip coming up in December - so, what is your #1, very favorite adult beverage on the Monorail Drink-a-thon? (Please include Wilderness Lodge in your responses - I am excited we are staying there!)

I wish I could help...but I do not mix drinks. Whatever I start with, I finish with! So, as much as I like margaritas, rum punches etc...I find (for me) I cannot drink more than a few or I will get SICK! I either drink vodka/club soda with lime, mojitos, dirty martinis or wine. Now, if I have a vodka dirty martini (or 3) I will sometimes switch to a vodka/club.

*sigh* I just LOVE the Territory Lounge. Just love it! I also love Mizners at the GF.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter