Holiday Specials to be filmed Nov 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is that when we were there in 2016 (our first ever trip), the taping messed up a lot of our plans (luckily we ended up with 3 multiple experience fast passes each day). The FoF got changed to 5:00, the stage shows were cancelled and we were thrown for a loop. Now knowing a lot more about trip planning and now that the tapings are spread out over the parks, it's not as much of a nuisance. The only thing that bothers my kids is extra random fireworks at MK (for tapings or performances)....the unexpected noise bothers them.

I don’t believe the tree is the main reason they stopped the parade in MK. As others have said the focus of this special is more of a commercial now. Back say 10 years ago or so it was an actual parade with Commentators sitting in a booth talking about it. Now it’s all about promotion and performances by big name celebrities. WDW brings in the big performances at each park and Disneyland does the parade with maybe a performance or two.
Plus because of FoF, garland is no longer strung across Main Street making it look like Christmas Parade floats are out there without much theming.

When Disney has used WDW Christmas parade footage in their ‘family’ segments, it’s from 2013 - the last year with garland, the current mouse costumes, and my fave Mickey. 😉

Plus because of FoF, garland is no longer strung across Main Street making it look like Christmas Parade floats are out there without much theming.

When Disney has used WDW Christmas parade footage in their ‘family’ segments, it’s from 2013 - the last year with garland, the current mouse costumes, and my fave Mickey. 😉
The best Mickey! ;)

I do like the arches they put in place since the garland though.

DHS will be Nov. 7th
MK 9th and 10th

No word on AK yet. I’m guessing maybe no Epcot this year due to construction.

Nothing says Disney magic like overhearing the director yell out the people dressed in costume "reindeers, snowflakes get back in line and do it again". Ahh magical. :santa:

On a funny note though as my DH was running one way apparently a "reindeer" was running the other and they crashed into one another. DH excitingly ran over to us after to tell us "Daddy got run over by a reindeer". :rotfl2:

I miss when they used to do the parade live on Christmas Day. I still have the video from the year we were there for the live parade and were right across from the cameras so we got a lot of screen time. When we weren’t there, the parade made it feel like we were. Now it’s just another tv show.

Last edited:
I miss when they send to do the parade live on Christmas Day. I still have the video from the year we were there for the live parade and were right across from the cameras so we got a lot of screen time. When we weren’t there, the parade made it feel like we were. Now it’s just another tv show.
Same
Some of the older parades can be found on YouTube and a theme park podcast I listen to did an audio commentary of one last Christmas as well as an Easter Parade commentary on their patron feed

Good lord. Glad we didn't schedule anything for our third weekend except for the Swolphin Food & Wine. It's going to be a mess.

We will be down there during all that but not doing parks until Nov. 9 and taking a break on Nov. 10 so shouldn't impact us much. That Saturday was our AK/Epcot day (ending with MK at night but all the filming should be over by then I'd think).

Talking about them filming live vs not live. When I was on my CP in 2002, me and some friends went on a DCL that October. While we were on Castaway Cay, we got asked to film a bit where they gave us all Santa hats, stockings, candy canes, etc. to hold (mind you, we were all in bathing suits) and yell "MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM CASTAWAY CAY IN THE BAHAMAS!" Always cracked me up bc watching the broadcast on Christmas day they were like "we're going to cut to the Bahamas for a special holiday message" like it was live via satellite or something haha.

Thank you for the info, it certainly helps with planning.

A few years back, my neighbors went to Orlando & had one day to visit a park. I very carefully helped them pick a park (MK), make a ride, meal, & show plan & off they went.

When they returned, she told of how they walked into MK at opening & everyone was lining up & taking seats along Main St so she inquired of a group why. They explained it was holiday parade filming day. They decided to stick to ride plan. She said she pictured film crew with large cameras on shoulders getting various angle shots. Then she rounded corner at the hub & saw 2 huge crane like contraptions to capture it. These blocked the walkways & created single file passage in each direction with huge backups.

On top of this, it had rained solid for 2 days prior, delaying filming & shunting all guests from the past 2 days into the first sunny day.

Let's just say their one & only park day did not turn out to be magically stellar. They haven't returned.

Anyone not planning to join the filming festivities might well plan to avoid a filming park altogether.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be really intrusive but I'm glad it only impacts us on Sunday 11/10 at MK. We are planning to rope drop so if we see them it won't be in the middle of fireworks or a parade.

It is interesting to watch the set up but I did not waste time to stand in audience. The area is taped offed and you have to stand the entire time waiting. At that time in 2016, once you entered the taped area you were expected to be there for the duration. I stayed at BWI and had an Epcot Destination tour one morning they were taping a World Showcase spot. The gate to International Gateway was locked and the guard would not let anyone in until taping was complete even though the park was open. I had to walk back to Boardwalk and explain situation. The CMs were kind enough to order and pay for cab to take me to the front entrance. I just made it in time for the tour.

We will be there that weekend also. A few years back my daughter and I were there during the taping also but didn't know it was happening and got to see Scotty McCreery preform (over and over LOL). It was actually kind of cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter