Happy Disney 2017

Certainly wouldn't be the first irrational justification used to make a time share purchase..... :)

I did ask him why not just buy from the resale market in the first place.

There was a long pause.....before a terrible answer.

I actually agree that the resale market is a huge selling point. They use it under their breath at Saratoga (don't think they're supposed to) to sell the thing. It does help them charge more.

You CAN walk away at a near a moments notice and actually profit or break even.

Here's my story: just passed ten years and paid about 45 ish-% of today's new price in the end.

Have two vertically expanding children (that unfortunately I can't fit in the overheard bins anymore to avoid bag fees on American/united), that have been there a ton...the room savings have more than paid for itself.

I could sell it "cheap" on the resell market and walk with my money back and all the time in the rooms.

Neat and clean.

But...when it escalates to $225 a point...that is no longer possible. And we're back to the root problem.

I actually agree that the resale market is a huge selling point. They use it under their breath at Saratoga (don't think they're supposed to) to sell the thing. It does help them charge more.

You CAN walk away at a near a moments notice and actually profit or break even.

Here's my story: just passed ten years and paid about 45 ish-% of today's new price in the end.

Have two vertically expanding children (that unfortunately I can't fit in the overheard bins anymore to avoid bag fees on American/united), that have been there a ton...the room savings have more than paid for itself.

I could sell it "cheap" on the resell market and walk with my money back and all the time in the rooms.

Neat and clean.

But...when it escalates to $225 a point...that is no longer possible. And we're back to the root problem.

I own at the GF and the Poly and since the GF is sold out, I am kind of hoping I can make a few bucks off that sale. The Poly my husband decided to purchase and I should have said no louder, but I don't think I'll make anything off of it. In fact, I'd pay someone to take it off my hands.

Folks predicting a new Disney resort hotel or an exclusive DVC property-- any thoughts about theming?

I would really like a Star Wars or a Villains themed hotel. The villains don't really have too much representation and they clearly have a strong following. Star Wars would be an obvious choice since they are building a whole land for it and it is easily one of the most recognized franchises. Another nice theme would be a Marvel theme, but I know Disney can't really do too much here due to the contract in place.

That's why I said I am amazed I have gotten away with it this long especially because DVC sales have slowed and the rental market is BOOMING.

What you're saying is find a way to make the owners pay for renting out their points and I am telling you unless it's a significant fee to negate the cost of renting vs booking direct it won't work.

I'm talking significant fees...$500+ a week would kill a lot of the rental market.

They would just say to hell with it and go back to port orleans. Nobody buys that the poly is "worth" $555 a night:..so if they can rent it for a real cost of say $275-$300 a night...fine.

You don't believe that...I don't...DVC renters are doing so specifically to avoid those kinds of prices. Especially at the poly where it's all studios...direct comparison.

But it's not getting rented for $400. What are they "saving"? Travel agents have been getting those rooms at cut rate. (I'll remind I got a $495 base room for $243 with tax in the middle of the summer last year...word will get out on that if rentals go up in price)

And remember...you are being tracked linked to an internet account necessary to book/eat/ride anything...there's no way to headfake that.

You sending your magic band to Ginny From Indiana to use for the week?

The pretty one with the sparkles?

And remember...you are being tracked linked to an internet account necessary to book/eat/ride anything...there's no way to headfake that.

Why would I do that since they give bands with every booking?

I would really like a Star Wars or a Villains themed hotel. The villains don't really have too much representation and they clearly have a strong following. Star Wars would be an obvious choice since they are building a whole land for it and it is easily one of the most recognized franchises. Another nice theme would be a Marvel theme, but I know Disney can't really do too much here due to the contract in place.

The villains theme probably doesn't play across all the demographics they need.

Grandma isn't gonna be happy if she's paying for the jafar suite with the cobra hissing showerhead.

Star Wars...ehhhh...of course we'd love it...but disney seems to like more ambiguous/non-descript themes like pop and art of animation.

I own at the GF and the Poly and since the GF is sold out, I am kind of hoping I can make a few bucks off that sale. The Poly my husband decided to purchase and I should have said no louder, but I don't think I'll make anything off of it. In fact, I'd pay someone to take it off my hands.

Hmmm...sounds a little like buyer's remorse, no?

To be fair...the poly will be better when they "finish it"...that's not it.

The gf is useless because of how small it is.

I'm not impressed (working at a place takes the sheen off it...though the V&A chef is awesome)...but I get the draw.

But you live 3 hours away...you want to book 10+ months in advance? That is not to my DVC liking. They need more to fan that one out.

I'm talking significant fees...$500+ a week would kill a lot of the rental market.

They would just say to hell with it and go back to port orleans. Nobody buys that the poly is "worth" $555 a night:..so if they can rent it for a real cost of say $275-$300 a night...fine.

You don't believe that...I don't...DVC renters are doing so specifically to avoid those kinds of prices. Especially at the poly where it's all studios...direct comparison.

But it's not getting rented for $400. What are they "saving"? Travel agents have been getting those rooms at cut rate. (I'll remind I got a $495 base room for $243 with tax in the middle of the summer last year...word will get out on that if rentals go up in price)

My fiancee has gone the "renting" route for our rooms during the wedding trip. Staying at Boardwalk for part of the stay, then at the Poly for another part of the stay. I don't remember the numbers for either of the rooms as we booked a while ago, but I can say I remember saying to myself, "well I guess that's not too bad". I believe it was around the 275-300 range you stated.

We've never stayed at a Deluxe before (we're the Pop Century plebs) and during our wedding trip we will be staying at 3 different Deluxes. Boardwalk pre-wedding, Grand Floridan for the Honeymoon (complimentary room from Disney), and Poly post-wedding (after our Disney Cruise honeymoon).

Think I can build a couch out of all those Magic Band boxes? That's pretty much going to be the only furniture in our house until we recoup the cost :p

My fiancee has gone the "renting" route for our rooms during the wedding trip. Staying at Boardwalk for part of the stay, then at the Poly for another part of the stay. I don't remember the numbers for either of the rooms as we booked a while ago, but I can say I remember saying to myself, "well I guess that's not too bad". I believe it was around the 275-300 range you stated.

We've never stayed at a Deluxe before (we're the Pop Century plebs) and during our wedding trip we will be staying at 3 different Deluxes. Boardwalk pre-wedding, Grand Floridan for the Honeymoon (complimentary room from Disney), and Poly post-wedding (after our Disney Cruise honeymoon).

Think I can build a couch out of all those Magic Band boxes? That's pretty much going to be the only furniture in our house until we recoup the cost :p

Post of the day...audible chuckle on that.

Grandma isn't gonna be happy if she's paying for the jafar suite with the cobra hissing showerhead.

Star Wars...ehhhh...of course we'd love it...but disney seems to like more ambiguous/non-descript themes like pop and art of animation.

That is a good point lol. It would be really cool but it clearly would never happen. Once can only dream of a Star Wars resort. Maybe one day :yay:

Hmmm...sounds a little like buyer's remorse, no?

To be fair...the poly will be better when they "finish it"...that's not it.

The gf is useless because of how small it is.

I'm not impressed (working at a place takes the sheen off it...though the V&A chef is awesome)...but I get the draw.

But you live 3 hours away...you want to book 10+ months in advance? That is not to my DVC liking. They need more to fan that one out.

I already said I had buyers remorse over the Poly, but no regrets on the GF. I LOVE our GF ownership.

And the having to book 10+ months out when we're local has been the BIGGEST disadvantage to owning the resorts, but my husband loves the status.

We've really gone off on a tangent here....whoops. I guess I could troll the DVC forums, but any idea what percentage of DVC owners are semi local? Madonna3 makes me curious about it. I assumed it was mostly folks well out of area.

LOL would you agree at least there is something out of skew with lodging, and some sort of correction is due, no matter how the brain trust does it? They may be the cause of their own problem. There is too large of a gap between rack rate moderate and rack rate deluxe. When discounted the gap still exists, closing the gap a little. Point rental fill in those gaps.

If attendance does fall, but lodging stays flat, then it would indicate an internal lodging problem.
If attendance falls with the same percentage as lodging, then lodging is not necessarily the full problem.

Regardless of the model, beds locked into Disney are a key driving factor towards attendance. If a few short years, you'll have added capacity at DHS and AK. One can hope Epcot gets some love, to help it gain more guests. The beds will be needed. A necessary item even if you view it as a loss leader.

If I were that grandmother I would love that. Your villain themed rooms sound awesome lol

I already said I had buyers remorse over the Poly, but no regrets on the GF. I LOVE our GF ownership.

And the having to book 10+ months out when we're local has been the BIGGEST disadvantage to owning the resorts, but my husband loves the status.

Status?

THis is on a tangent...but since it's a discussion I will never advocate "less discussion"

The picture is the very old DVC distribution map of owners...to answer the question of where they are from.

It's overlaid with election results by color...I'm sure average education corresponds (election maps always have)...but ignore that.

It's reasonable to think the heaviest concentrations are still where they were...which means ground zero is California, Illinois and New York...not
Surprising.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.PNG
    IMG_2881.PNG
    265.6 KB · Views: 32
We've really gone off on a tangent here....whoops. I guess I could troll the DVC forums, but any idea what percentage of DVC owners are semi local? Madonna3 makes me curious about it. I assumed it was mostly folks well out of area.

LOL would you agree at least there is something out of skew with lodging, and some sort of correction is due, no matter how the brain trust does it? They may be the cause of their own problem. There is too large of a gap between rack rate moderate and rack rate deluxe. When discounted the gap still exists, closing the gap a little. Point rental fill in those gaps.

If attendance does fall, but lodging stays flat, then it would indicate an internal lodging problem.
If attendance falls with the same percentage as lodging, then lodging is not necessarily the full problem.

Regardless of the model, beds locked into Disney are a key driving factor towards attendance. If a few short years, you'll have added capacity at DHS and AK. One can hope Epcot gets some love, to help it gain more guests. The beds will be needed. A necessary item even if you view it as a loss leader.

Trying to stay on topic yet still keeping with the theme of the tangent, in 2017, I think we will hear more about the old rumor of a DVC conversion at Caribbean Beach. I didn't buy it at first but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Spruce up what is arguably the least desirable moderates with a huge amount of rack rate rooms, while potentially boosting DVC sales at a lower price point. DVC prices are too high and a moderate DVC could give an excuse to reset the prices without a huge uproar from people who just paid top dollar for Poly. Cut a canal connecting CB to Epcot by boat and now you have a resort which has DVC rooms which will be sold out year round, fewer rack rate rooms which will sell out during F&W at least.

Trying to stay on topic yet still keeping with the theme of the tangent, in 2017, I think we will hear more about the old rumor of a DVC conversion at Caribbean Beach. I didn't buy it at first but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Spruce up what is arguably the least desirable moderates with a huge amount of rack rate rooms, while potentially boosting DVC sales at a lower price point. DVC prices are too high and a moderate DVC could give an excuse to reset the prices without a huge uproar from people who just paid top dollar for Poly. Cut a canal connecting CB to Epcot by boat and now you have a resort which has DVC rooms which will be sold out year round, fewer rack rate rooms which will sell out during F&W at least.

I don't disagree that the thing would sell out.

I'm just not sure how they would handle the issue of using your CB points at other resorts.

I don't disagree that the thing would sell out.

I'm just not sure how they would handle the issue of using your CB points at other resorts.

I would just think point owners at a CB DVC would be similar to Vero Beach or Hilton Head. I don't think it would affect anything with the way DVC operates.

Here's a prediction for me. Express transportation will continue and the price will increase even though they don't have packed buses. People are using it and loving it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter