Happy Disney 2017

See above...

You're joking; right?

You want "luxury" by current Disney standards with no longterm commitment? Pay when and if the budget says "ok"?

That ship has sailed.

Look at wilderness...
It was fantastic and a good deal...they jacked it until it wasn't a good deal and the bookings fell to (reportedly) 50%...then they said "screw you" and built more locked in villas. "Copper Pot Villas at covered bridge pass"...or whatever the hell.
Nope, not kidding. The bubble has burst and they know it. It will be a moderate +, with many, many pay extra upcharges. Counting on people not noticing until check out that they've paid more than a deluxe.

Nope, not kidding. The bubble has burst and they know it. It will be a moderate +, with many, many pay extra upcharges. Counting on people not noticing until check out that they've paid more than a deluxe.

I agree the bubble has burst...but I disagree they would address it that way.

Those that used to pay $250-300 gladly for deluxe and now won't or can't pay $500 for the same won't be rewarded with a prime soft landing spot in the $250 range.

Or those that want to go up from the $125 moderates "a little" and pay $225-250 were they currently stand.

They aren't interested in budgets..."pay or go away"

My evidence is empirical: they have not touched rack room construction in forever...and the DVC has escalated. You can tell what someone is thinking when they make no qualms about hiding it.

Their next "move" on Hotel construction is gonna be interesting. The poly DVC isn't flying off the shelves and they are gonna have a hell of a time at wilderness lodge...we'll see.

They may have to go "Sub-value" and do more stripped down motels to attract a broader base.

I agree the bubble has burst...but I disagree they would address it that way.

Those that used to pay $250-300 gladly for deluxe and now won't or can't pay $500 for the same won't be rewarded with a prime soft landing spot in the $250 range.

Or those that want to go up from the $125 moderates "a little" and pay $225-250 were they currently stand.

They aren't interested in budgets..."pay or go away"

My evidence is empirical: they have not touched rack room construction in forever...and the DVC has escalated. You can tell what someone is thinking when they make no qualms about hiding it.

Their next "move" on Hotel construction is gonna be interesting. The poly DVC isn't flying off the shelves and they are gonna have a hell of a time at wilderness lodge...we'll see.

They may have to go "Sub-value" and do more stripped down motels to attract a broader base.
I disagree with you, and this is why. They've discovered the private DVC point rental has under cut them. After the initial surge from DVC sales, the folks that own shares are renting them out into exactly the market I'm referring too.
What does disney hate? when some outside source makes money in their own system...uber for example. DVC points rental is the uber of the lodging revenue stream. There is money being made there, and disney wants some. Maximize your owners, then rob them of their rental clients by undercutting them....so that maybe it isn't worth renting the points out, but still worth it to visit regularly.
There is a whole segment of visitor that is deal savvy enough, to know the DVC concept but not quite foolish enough to buy in. They take advantage of it. Disney will do what they do best and exploit it.

I disagree with you, and this is why. They've discovered the private DVC point rental has under cut them. After the initial surge from DVC sales, the folks that own shares are renting them out into exactly the market I'm referring too.
What does disney hate? when some outside source makes money in their own system...uber for example. DVC points rental is the uber of the lodging revenue stream. There is money being made there, and disney wants some. Maximize your owners, then rob them of their rental clients by undercutting them....so that maybe it isn't worth renting the points out, but still worth it to visit regularly.
There is a whole segment of visitor that is deal savvy enough, to know the DVC concept but not quite foolish enough to buy in. They take advantage of it. Disney will do what they do best and exploit it.

As someone who rents points I completely agree with you and I wonder how I've been able to get away with it so long. Clearly, the owners have proven a price point that people are willing to pay judging by the fact that DVC inventory is constantly full and the HUGE demand on the market. However, there's a negative side to this for me as well. While I can make instant money on my points, I can't book a room when *I* want to because the inventory is saturated with non-owners. So, I would actually like to see Disney do something about it in the sense of lowering deluxe room prices so that the DVC market is less in demand

Edit to add, I also feel the deluxe market prices are inflated BECAUSE of DVC.

Last edited:
See above...

You're joking; right?

You want "luxury" by current Disney standards with no longterm commitment? Pay when and if the budget says "ok"?

That ship has sailed.

Look at wilderness...
It was fantastic and a good deal...they jacked it until it wasn't a good deal and the bookings fell to (reportedly) 50%...then they said "screw you" and built more locked in villas. "Copper Pot Villas at covered bridge pass"...or whatever the hell.

Grr @lockedoutlogic, there's goes my tea again...

As someone who rents points I completely agree with you and I wonder how I've been able to get away with it so long. Clearly, the owners have proven a price point that people are willing to pay judging by the fact that DVC inventory is constantly full and the HUGE demand on the market. However, there's a negative side to this for me as well. While I can make instant money on my points, I can't book a room when *I* want to because the inventory is saturated with non-owners. So, I would actually like to see Disney do something about it in the sense of lowering deluxe room prices so that the DVC market is less in demand

I agree with the rental "issue" at DVC...but they are much more likely to lock that off given they can do anything they want to the contract...than build and take on the huge operational cost to pull people out of that back into moderates...

My thought on the drones is that they just aren't wow enough on their own. They need be part of a bigger production, OR not be such a featured show. Disney Springs makes sense as it's a free area...what do you expect for free? To work them into a big production, sure seems like a hurdle that maybe they just aren't ready for yet. I envision the lanterns from Tangled, being a nice way to leave with warm fuzzies as you are leaving the park. Not so loud to wake the kids sleeping in the strollers. Doesn't even need music.

I agree with the rental "issue" at DVC...but they are much more likely to lock that off given they can do anything they want to the contract...than build and take on the huge operational cost to pull people out of that back into moderates...

What? I'm not talking about pulling people into the moderates. I am talking about reducing the inflated deluxe pricing which is that way because of DVC and reduce the per night cost at Deluxe to be more in line with the price point that DVC owners are renting their points out.

I mean, it's also a win for Disney. They get occupancy, but do none of the work and the DVC owners pay for it.

What? I'm not talking about pulling people into the moderates. I am talking about reducing the inflated deluxe pricing which is that way because of DVC and reduce the per night cost at Deluxe to be more in line with the price point that DVC owners are renting their points out.

I mean, it's also a win for Disney. They get occupancy, but do none of the work and the DVC owners pay for it.

Oh I see...but the net effect is the same: disney taking on more operational and employee expense to convince people to book at a reduced rate.

They aren't playing that game these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter