Happy Disney 2017

For some reason I thought the price was per person! That is a steal!

I believe currently it is a per person ($15 single day/$24 dollar multi-day) charge.

"Complimentary" Wdw transportation is one of the primary selling points for the massively above retail wdw resort rates...

...am I the only one seeing this one starting to roll downhill?

I get what you're saying, I really do, but I don't think this is a precursor to them taking away the current transportation system. This express transportation add on seems like a decent product for the price.

The "free" transportation, however, is a pretty big selling point for a lot of people (I assume).

So let's say they take that away. Tomorrow. And they say, "if you want to use our buses you need to pay X dollars". Well a lot of people are going to be (or should be) upset, because this was once a "free" service. So Disney needs a little something up their sleeve.

"Well guests, listen, we know you're bummed about paying X dollars for what once cost you "zero" dollars...so we have this other option. For just X+Y dollars, you can use our express transportation which is better than that crummy old fashion transportation."

The key here is X+Y has to be a realistic price. But...if X+Y is too close to X, a lot of people are going to jump on that express transportation. Does Disney have the space and means to handle those kinds of crowds in that backstage area (honest question, I really don't know). If they do, then fine. If they don't, then they are charging even more for a product that doesn't deliver what it promises, and it won't be able to handle the crowds.

On the other hand, if X+Y is too far out of range, maybe people will start to say (hopefully), screw paying for ANY Disney transportation, we are going to stay off property and rent a car, because the prices are comparable and I can be on my own schedule. Now Disney loses on two fronts, transportation and lodging.

Disney can (and will) do whatever they want, and I get that. The mouse is unpredictable at times, we can all wake up tomorrow and go back to a ticket book system. The future is an exciting and terrifying thing.

I don't think it's a precursor to taking away free transport. In order to do that, they'd need to be prepared for the alternative if people declined. They can't support the car traffic at this time.
What they CAN do, is restrict it to crappy timing and less frequent service. However, if the goal is to pack the park, then you must pack the park every minute you can.
So I think you have to look at as a tax subsidized product. You create a transport revenue center, and you funnel that money back in to transport, so that it is less of a burden on the parks.
If you can run additional programs as a net gain, then it's a no brainer. What will take time is to see if it's truly a net gain.

Keeping it to the prediction thread.
When Avatar does open, one would logically assume attendance will increase at AK. The question is will it cause a relative drop at the other parks, MK included? I might just be a great time to visit, provided to can avoid the draw of Avatar.

Keeping it to the prediction thread.
When Avatar does open, one would logically assume attendance will increase at AK. The question is will it cause a relative drop at the other parks, MK included? I might just be a great time to visit, provided to can avoid the draw of Avatar.

I don't know if anything will ever really draw crowds away from MK (perhaps Star Wars Land) so probably more of an impact on DHS and EPCOT

What I think it will do is keep crowds in AK longer and into the night (especially if ROL opens as well) so you won't see people do 1/2 day at AK and then hop to another park so my guess is the biggest impact to the other parks would be in the evening - I know a lot of people hop to EPCOT for dinner so I could see World Showcase seeming emptier especially if not food related festival going on

I agree with this.

Avatar does nothing to offer an alternative to the MK demographic.

I think AK is still about a land and 2-3 rides short, after Avatar opens.

With regards to your last statement, I think it will depend on how interactive just the "land" within Pandora is ... it feels like they are marketing it that there will be a lot to do just exploring the land so that it is almost another attraction in and of itself

AK is such a unique park in how exploring and walking around is part of the experience (with the trails, etc.) - so a list of rides will feel short for the park yet there is more to do there outside of the rides there than I think in the other parks

I agree with that, the roaming around AK is what I enjoy. Same could be said for World showcase. DHS is more about the individual attractions, and the same with MK.

I agree with this.

Avatar does nothing to offer an alternative to the MK demographic.

I think AK is still about a land and 2-3 rides short, after Avatar opens.
I disagree about avatar being a land and 2-3 rides short but that's just me.

With regards to your last statement, I think it will depend on how interactive just the "land" within Pandora is ... it feels like they are marketing it that there will be a lot to do just exploring the land so that it is almost another attraction in and of itself

AK is such a unique park in how exploring and walking around is part of the experience (with the trails, etc.) - so a list of rides will feel short for the park yet there is more to do there outside of the rides there than I think in the other parks
I'm in AK as we speak. I haven't ridden a ride yet. I just love exploring his park.

I'm in AK as we speak. I haven't ridden a ride yet. I just love exploring his park.

Opinions on AK vary so much and I think it is driven by that - if you just go there, ride the rides and leave, yeah, it isn't as great as Magic Kingdom or whatever - but if you love just wandering and looking at the "Disney Detail" in some ways it is the best park.

Hope your trip is going well - best of luck on the races!

I agree with that, the roaming around AK is what I enjoy. Same could be said for World showcase. DHS is more about the individual attractions, and the same with MK.

Fully agree (Although there are a lot of details in DHS if you know where to look, it isn't as obvious). I think that is why even though it really is only a couple of attractions that closed for the construction at DHS, it feels like a bigger deal than if a couple of things closed at other parks

Opinions on AK vary so much and I think it is driven by that - if you just go there, ride the rides and leave, yeah, it isn't as great as Magic Kingdom or whatever - but if you love just wandering and looking at the "Disney Detail" in some ways it is the best park.

Hope your trip is going well - best of luck on the races!
By far the best park for details at least in the US.

5K was today!

It is unique.

I just think in a simple breakdown, if you give a family with younger kids an option, MK beats out AK 11x's out of 10. You have to RD MK and stay until close, with a great plan, to take it all in under 2 days.

AK is on the right track, no doubt. I think Avatar improves that park immensely.

They just need to continue the momentum.

But I agree with your prediction. With Avatar, AK will "hold" more people all day, vs half day departures. It will also draw some who skip the park to at least give it a try. This should spell some relief to MK.

The villains theme probably doesn't play across all the demographics they need.

Grandma isn't gonna be happy if she's paying for the jafar suite with the cobra hissing showerhead.

Star Wars...ehhhh...of course we'd love it...but disney seems to like more ambiguous/non-descript themes like pop and art of animation.

I actually think AoA is very specific for a Disney Resort, and I didn't think that was a problem until I went to stay there and they had moved me from a room in a "movie" I enjoyed to a room in a "movie" I did not because of overbooking. Obviously where we stayed didn't ruin the trip, but it was still disappointing.

I would love to see a new resort hotel open up, but I agree Star Wars and Villains are a bit too specific. Personally I'd love to see an "Ocean" resort open - not just tropical like the Polynesian or Caribbean Beach, but actual under-the-sea theming. I'm also surprised that there's no "magic" themed hotel for the "Most Magical Place on Earth." I don't know how exactly they'd do a magic theme - perhaps a more modern fairy-tale palace, like the Cinderella Suite but a whole hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter