Glennbo’s City, Sand, and Savanna PTR - TR Link (pg 73)

I'm going to reveal the dates and other details when I explain each portion: "City", "Sand", and "Savanna"....but would "late June" cover it for now?

Awww, BOO!!!!! We are heading over the last week of May / first week of June. Unless something changes, I'm pretty sure that's our window. Also, friends backed out so now we are doing 8 nights rather than 6. :banana:

I'm always late to the party...like last night, I came home from work, fell asleep, and woke up at 12:10am. :confused3

Happy New Year!!!

I've been gone from the DIS lately. My new years resolution is to spend more time on the DIS. :lmao: This is definitely a great way to keep me coming back!!

Glad to see you started.

Congrats to your parents for 60 years. I'm struggling at just the 5 year mark. :rotfl:

Can't wait to read all the details.

You are flying outta New York CITY!!!??????

surprised.gif
and
omgblinky.gif
.....I'm going to have to score that as correct!

We're not flying out of NYC, but New York City is the correct city. Now I guess I'll have to post the update. Look for it in in a few minutes.

Great job Rosie!

So late to the game and only at post #3 but of course Dan beat me to it.

2 Judys :cool1:

:welcome: Pat! I know you would've gotten the points if you had been on the DIS when I posted.

Litle thing like Disney is the cause for my delay. I will catch up eventually.

Best excuse I've ever heard! I hope you're having a great time.

Awww, BOO!!!!! We are heading over the last week of May / first week of June. Unless something changes, I'm pretty sure that's our window. Also, friends backed out so now we are doing 8 nights rather than 6. :banana:

Oh well. We'll still have school going then, so have to wait until later in June.

Yay for 2 more nights, although I'm sure you would've liked to have had some friends along.

I'm always late to the party...like last night, I came home from work, fell asleep, and woke up at 12:10am. :confused3

Happy New Year!!!

Howdy Jen! :welcome: and Happy New Year!

I went to bed around 11, but awoke a while later to the sounds of fireworks going off in the neighborhood. I looked at my clock and sure enough, it was 12:21am. (My clock is 21 minutes fast. ;))

I've been gone from the DIS lately. My new years resolution is to spend more time on the DIS. :lmao: This is definitely a great way to keep me coming back!!

Glad to see you started.

Great resolution! I look forward to your posts.

Congrats to your parents for 60 years. I'm struggling at just the 5 year mark. :rotfl:

Can't wait to read all the details.

Thanks!

In this chapter I will reveal the meaning of the first portion of my Pre-Trip Report title “Glennbo’s City, Sand, and Savanna PTR”: City.

Well, it really started several years ago when Judy was earning PChef incentive trips. (You’ll have to look back at my last PTR and TR to understand the abbreviation “PChef” if you aren’t already familiar with it.) We had some family trips, but we also had a couple of parents-only vacations. The kids complained about that a little, and apparently Judy promised to take each of them on a little “getaway” vacation for their high school graduations. I say “apparently” because Judy doesn’t remember it as a promise, but the kids certainly took it that way. To Judy, I’m sure that when it was discussed it seemed like the day to pay up would never arrive, and she didn’t envision quitting PChef and not having an annual trip, but regardless of the circumstances the kids are holding her to it…and Lauren’s high school graduation is looming this Spring, June of 2012.

So we decided to look into using some of our Disney Vacation Club points to trade-out to an RCI destination. We set the parameter that the destination needed to be within reasonable driving distance from our home here in southeastern Pennsylvania and showed Lauren the various choices on the RCI website. We let her consider all of the resorts from the New England states down to Virginia, and maybe even North Carolina, if something was really attractive. But her mind was already made up really before she looked at the choices – she wanted to visit New York City.

new_york_city_1.jpg

(picture borrowed from the world-wide interweb)

RCI only has two resorts in New York City and our dates were pretty firm, so I was a little worried about getting a trade since everything I’ve read has said that trades can be difficult to get, and you need to be especially flexible around dates and it’s helpful to be flexible on location as well.

You can book 10 months in advance, so I called member services on Aug. 16th, in an attempt to book June 14, 15, and 16th. The first resort, The Hilton Club of New York, had no availability, but the second, the Manhattan Club, had a Studio available for our exact dates – exactly what we wanted! After borrowing some points from my next use year to cover the trade, and some discussion around a few other items, I was off the phone. The whole process only took about 15 minutes. :woohoo:

Manhattan-Club-Exterior.jpg

(photo courtesy of "the internets")

Let me tell you, after booking it I was starting to feel really jealous of Judy and Lauren going on this trip….and you know, there would be enough room in a Studio for me to tag along. :scratchin But we talked and decided that it’s always been thought of as a “one parent and one child” thing, and I should probably hang back on the homefront with the other two yayhoos anyway. Plus, Lauren is a fan of “Say Yes to the Dress” and wants to see Kleinfeld’s, and I, well, don’t.

Kleinfeld.jpg

(photo generously on-loan from the internet)

Lauren confessed to Judy that in a way, she wished that I was going with them on the trip, so that I could help them plan! Thanks….I think.
c-31.gif

I’ll have to take that as a compliment, even though there are many other reasons I’d like to think that I’d be desired to have along. Anyway, I said I’d help them plan if they’d agree to take pictures, keep notes, and write a little narrative to include in my DISboards trip report. :teeth:

So we started talking about what they wanted to do. The one Broadway show that Lauren really wants to see is “Wicked”.

Wicked.jpg

(yeah, I borrowed this photo from the internet too)

I went online to look at ticket prices and of course, was shocked. :scared1: I know I should have expected it, but I was hoping for them to be less expensive. On the website I could see the available seats, and noticed that even for June, six months away, seats were getting scooped up. So, considering that, and that it’s the only show Lauren wants to see, we went ahead and booked it. The tickets are already in-hand.

Other than that, there’s still planning to be done, such as train transportation to get them there, and maybe an excursion or two, and certainly some restaurants. If you have any recommendations, let me know!

So there you have it. The "City" portion of the trip is for two of our clan, Judy and Lauren, spending 3 nights in June, in New York City.

Link to next chapter

Very cool! Love that you traded out. Trading out gets a bad wrap but we did and had a great time. :thumbsup2 NYC's first timeshare resort, can't wait to see their pics.

My Gabby loves Say Yes to the Dress too.

Wow! What a nice trip for Judy and Lauren. I am jealous!! One day i'll get there and see a broadway.

Hey, at least Lauren said she wanted you for your planning abilities and not just so you can pay for everything. ;)

Lauren will definitely remember this special time with her Momma! :lovestruc

NYC sounds like it's going to be a fun trip for Judy and Lauren! That's awesome that the plans worked out!

Shocked you passed up Kleinfeld's!! :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

(I actually have 2 friends that have applied to be on Say Yes to The Dress, it seems like it would be a cool place to visit, but also very overwhelming and filled with tulle :laughing:)

Hopefully they have a nice time! I've only ever been to NYC twice. Once on a field trip to see Les Mis in 10th grade. The second was with work and I didn't go *in* the city, but we did a dinner cruise and I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time. :laughing:

I still want to go someday!

Ha! I found you! Another glennbo and family TR!:woohoo:

Okay, I think I'm ready: Judy sightings, random words for ad effect (affect?), and keep up with reading report updates. Got it!

Lauren made a great choice for her special trip! So exciting! :)

What a fun graduation trip! I have always wanted to go to NYC. I am glad they will be taking pics and notes of their adventures.

Lauren will love New York City. I've never been but DD Michelle went last January and August with her now husband to be. The one show she wanted to see was Wicked. They saw it and January and loved it! They didn't go to Klienfield's but she did "say yes to a dress" Thursday night. There is so much to see and do I know they will have a fabulous time.

Cool NYC trip. I hope it was a good trade point wise. It really seems like some of the trades aren't. I'm glad it was easy to do.

I love "Say Yes to the Dress". Not quite as much as "What not to Wear", but it is a fun show and the reruns come on during my lunch time and since we have a TV in our office. Well, let's just say I'm a fan.

Wicked is unbelievable phenomenal! The will LOVE it. It's the best singing anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it at the Academy of Music a couple years ago and the tickets were less than half of what they charge in NYC. Still - such a cool experience. I hope they have a wonderful time!

I love everything they are doing in NYC! Wicked toured in Wichita and we saw it and it was wonderful! Klienfields would be such a fun experience! They are so lucky to have you planning this for them!

We saw Wicked in NY on a "date" trip (and my kids are not huge fans of those either lol!), it was wonderful! They will have a GREAT time!

Lucky, Lauren. I've always wanted to go to NY and Mark would never take me (he used to go twice a year)...he always told me it was just like Chicago--just bigger and dirtier. :confused3

Sounds like a great "city" portion of the trip for her and Judy!

What a great trip! And a wonderful way to see NYC. I've actually gone with two different women to either get their dress altered at Kleinfeld or to try on dresses there. Its not all that exciting, but I'm sure television makes it seem that way. I've never see the show.

They are going to love Wicked!

And, yes, NYC prices can put a lot of things in perspective. :rotfl:

Also, one of my close friends lives in the city and does a great job guiding various friends and family members through the highlights of the city, so I can give you some suggestions. What neighborhood is the hotel in?

How fun for Lauren and Judy! It is hard to believe Lauren could be graduating - well, not that she couldn't graduate, just that she is almost grown up!

Dawn, Punkin413 had what I think was an amazing NYC trip a few years ago - Here is a link to her TR - I know she ate close to Broadway http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2189155

I was impressed with her visit, because I would be afraid it would be so busy and overwhelming that I wouldn't know what to do. :confused:

A graduation trip to NYC is fantastic! I may be a bit biased LOL.
I know The Manhattan Club (pass it all the time). The location is FANTASTIC. Wicked is an amazing show. I've seen it twice and it was worth every penny each time. Kleinfeld is an amazing place. I got my prom dress at Kleinfeld's in 1995 when they were still located in Brooklyn.

If you need any help planning, brochures, information, subway maps, let me know. Also, I can definitely recommend various restaurants in all price ranges. Since I don't (can't) cook and most of my friends don't either, I'm always at a new restaurant.

Would Lauren and Judy want to do a spa experience? Manicures and pedicures? There's a great place not too far from The Manhattan Club.

Very cool! Love that you traded out. Trading out gets a bad wrap but we did and had a great time. :thumbsup2 NYC's first timeshare resort, can't wait to see their pics.

Yes, I remember that....some place in Mexico, I believe? I remember that you really liked it.

My Gabby loves Say Yes to the Dress too.

It could be dangerous for those of us who have to pay for weddings down the road. :laughing:

Wow! What a nice trip for Judy and Lauren. I am jealous!! One day i'll get there and see a broadway.

I'm jealous too!

Hey, at least Lauren said she wanted you for your planning abilities and not just so you can pay for everything. ;)

Good point...I guess that's something.

Lauren will definitely remember this special time with her Momma! :lovestruc

I think it'll be great for them. :)

NYC sounds like it's going to be a fun trip for Judy and Lauren! That's awesome that the plans worked out!

It couldn't have worked out any better. :woohoo:

Shocked you passed up Kleinfeld's!! :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

I'll just stay home, DIS, and post about park bags and shoes. :laughing:

(I actually have 2 friends that have applied to be on Say Yes to The Dress, it seems like it would be a cool place to visit, but also very overwhelming and filled with tulle :laughing:)

Okay, I had to look up what "tulle" was. Yes, you're right -- overwhelming and filled with tulle is a perfect description!

Hopefully they have a nice time! I've only ever been to NYC twice. Once on a field trip to see Les Mis in 10th grade. The second was with work and I didn't go *in* the city, but we did a dinner cruise and I saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time. :laughing:

I still want to go someday!

I went once for an evening. I was on a work-trip to northern New Jersey and we took the train into the city to go to dinner and then back out aftewards. Had a good time though!

I think the Statue of Liberty is undergoing a refurb right now, so I don't think Judy and Lauren are planning on visiting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter