• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

But I Don't Like Peas and Mushrooms! An Aug. '16 Dining Report *updated 10/13 Wrap It Up!*

Love, love, love your latest reviews! Glad you enjoyed Skippers and Il Mulino looks amazing! Must put that on my list for a future trip! Looking forward to seeing what other restaurants hit the jackpot for you!

Last edited:
Il Mulino is one of my favorite restaurants on property!! Your rigatoni looks amazinggg

Looks like a very nice meal. You living in NY are probably used to fancier meals than me here in Snellville, GA, but it sounds like a wonderful dinner! Oh and I'm a wine drinker, nothing fancy though, but I love me some Moscato (plain, pink, red). Dessert looks wonderful! Nice evening!
LOL, we aren't completely fancy up here :) Il Mulino is like some of the nicer restaurants around me and a little farther south, towards NYC, but if you really want the best of the best here you have to go to Little Italy in Manhattan. I'm glad I've got a Moscato friend in you!!
I just finished dinner and I'm super full, and I swear I felt like I was eating right along with you at Il Mulino, and I need somebody to roll me somewhere too, LOL!

You know, I never give the Swolphin restaurants much thought. Shula's crosses my mind every now and then, but never seriously, and I've never considered Il Mulino before. That might be a mistake on my part - The food looks great! And not priced too badly if you had drinks, an app, a dessert, cappuccino and entrees.
(Oh, and I also like moscato! I'm not a white wine fan really, unless it's moscato, so drink up! I'm on your side!)
In all our trips this is the first time we considered-and ultimately did-a Swolphin restaurant. And it's funny because quite a few of them get great reviews here all the time, but yet when figuring out where we want to eat I always stick to the parks/more Disney resort places. Even after our trip last Nov. when we visited both resorts to see their holiday decorations and took note of where certain restaurants were located, we still didn't discuss eating there or try any when we went back 2 months later. Big mistake! I think on our next adults-only trip we're going to try Shula's :)

This looks like such an amazing meal! My dh and I ate here like 10 years ago I think? Our son and his then girlfriend, now wife ate here a few years ago on a trip and absolutely loved it. It is on my list to try again soon and your report is making me put it near the top! Your pasta dish :love: I would love to try that!
Yes, move it to the top! Since coming home I've recommended it like 20x to people in my Disney FB groups lol. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to have that pasta dish again in November, my mouth waters every time I look at the picture :cloud9:

Ok, you just convinced me that we have to eat at Il Mulino. I need to wait on the Braves spring training schedule to know where I can fit it in, but it's definitely going to be in the plans!
Ah, you like the Braves! My sister moved to Ga. last summer. A few months ago her friend down there moved into a new development, and is 3 houses down from a guy who plays for the Braves - Tyler something? I'm not a baseball person so I'll have to ask her again but you probably know. He hadn't moved in yet and since the development is new, his house was........open for touring, shall we say lol?? Absolutely gorgeous!

Your reviews are great and mouthwatering! We're pretty set on ADRs already but I'm so tempted to book il mulino!! We're staying at the swan too.. :scratchin
Oh man, I know it's a pain to switch around ADR's but you'll be so close to Il Mulino! But hey, if you don't fit it in this trip, it's a good reason to plan another one!

I didn't know the original Il Mulino was in the village. I might have to take a trip to the city soon!
I knew the original was somewhere in NY, but didn't realize it was in the Village until our server told us after he asked where we were from. I'm hoping to get there sometime soon! Only about 90 mins from us, which is TOTALLY not too far to go for good food ::yes::

I might be adding this to our list for our honeymoon, bc we're staying at the Dolphin the first half of the trip. We LOVE Italian!
Not only will that be convenient logistically, but a wonderful choice for a honeymoon! I don't like using the word "upscale", it means different things to different people depending where they're from, but I do think Il Mulino is "classy". And IMO the best Italian food on property!

Moscato is pretty much the only wine I will drink!

So this is just straight up a plate of cheese? And you just pick it up and bite it? I've never heard of such a thing, I guess I don't go to very many fancy Italian restaurants...

I always forget to think about the Swolphin restaurants, I really need to remember to look into them for a future trip! Overall, this looks like a really great meal and right up my alley! That flourless cake looks so good, and I'm such a sucker for good pasta!
LOL, yup just a plain plate of cheese. But goooooood cheese. Good Italian cheese :goodvibes We did get a plate of cheese at a French restaurant around us but other than that I've only seen it at Italian restaurants, and yes you pick it up and bite it! We also like to get fresh mozzarella when it's on a menu; not the Caprese salad with tomato (which we love, too) but FRESH mozzarella which is really really soft, mushy, and has almost a liquidy center. I know that sounds gross but if you love mozzarella you'd love it. And when Steve or a friend of his go to the Bronx, they bring back huge chunks of Parmigiana and we stick it in the fridge, breaking off chunks when we want, or a wheel of provolone.
Another Moscato drinker, yay!

Your meal sounds delicious! I adore mushrooms! Have never eaten at Il Mulino before. Another one to put on my list!
Doesn't it seem like there's so many Disney restaurants, so little time??!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

I'm a sucker for most things eggplant. LOVE it! Wish I could reach in and have some.

I've never actually had chickern parm but that looks so yum.

I'm impressed that you managed to fit in dessert! But this looks like the highlight of the meal

:dogdance: Thanks for sharing this info. Now I don't have to wait for my next Disney trip to try it out (and a good thing too since there are just too many places to try there). Need to remember this for my June NY trip.
I love eggplant too and it's not on menu's that often, even at Italian restaurants. Steve is the cook in the family and I love when he makes eggplant rollatini or grilled eggplant :D
Wow never chicken parm? You should try it! I like it; I just LOVE pasta so much that's it's what I normally order at Italian restaurants. And this chicken parm was HUGE.
I am very conscious of leaving room for dessert when I know there's something I'm craving on the menu lol!!! I'm definitely a sweets girl.

If we get to the Village Il Mulino before you in June, I'll let you know how it is :)

Ok, I JUST found your report and binge read ALL of it! :D
Amazing reviews and the pictures are mouth watering!!!!!!!!!!!
There are so many things I want to try now! It looks like you guys had a great time together :-)
:welcome: So glad you found me! We did have a great trip, our 3rd adults-only and this one I think was the best of the 3 in terms of food. It's amazing how many new things/places there are to try in WDW; one of many reasons for repeat visits!

when I first started drinking wine I started with moscato but I have since "graduated" to reisling. It is still a sweeter wine but pairs very well with savory food. some of them can be very acidic (learned that the hard way) so if you are in a restaurant I would ask if it is a sweeter one or more acidic one but the sweeter ones are great, especially with spicy food. my pro tip for people who like sweet wines, now i find moscato too sweet with food but it is good by itself or with dessert.
Well Happy Graduation lol! I'm actually fairly new to wine drinking, I've always been a beer drinker/mixed drinks person. Over the summer I tried Moscato Sangria, loved it, tried Moscato wine, and loved it! You aren't the first to suggest I try Reisling as my with next "step" - in fact, going out to a wine bar with some friends tomorrow night and I may try some!

LOVING your report! I've now gone back and read your other trip reports, too, hah! Your food all looks amazing, and good for you trying out some "scary" foods! I definitely want to make a stop at Skippers Canteen on my trip next week, the falafel looks great! Looking forward to more.
:welcome: And thank you for reading all my other reports!!! I will say it was fun trying things I normally wouldn't eat/order; wish my oldest son would do that more often! And yay for your trip coming up in a couple days :banana: definitely give Skippers a try, the reviews over the past few months have been tons more positive than when it first opened. Enjoy!

Well Happy Graduation lol! I'm actually fairly new to wine drinking, I've always been a beer drinker/mixed drinks person. Over the summer I tried Moscato Sangria, loved it, tried Moscato wine, and loved it! You aren't the first to suggest I try Reisling as my with next "step" - in fact, going out to a wine bar with some friends tomorrow night and I may try some!

I think I will celebrate with some wine! Seriously just make sure it is a sweeter one. I had a bunch of sweeter ones before running across one that was very sharp and acidic and if that were my first one I probably never would have tried it again! I don't like beer much either but tried the grapefruit beer in advance of my planned biergarten adr and LOVED it, I have made myself stop drinking it so it will be "special" when I go, lol. I like hard ciders and mixed drinks. chardonnay and pinot and those kind of wines, bleh. I just do not like. I did discover that grapefruit beer goes GREAT with hot wings though!:rotfl:

Love, love, love your latest reviews! Glad you enjoyed Skippers and Il Mulino looks amazing! Must put that on my list for a future trip! Looking forward to seeing what other restaurants hit the jackpot for you!
Thank you! We definitely ate well this trip and didn't dislike any meal - well, except Steve and his boring salad :rolleyes: Still have our last day to go, and while one meal was good but not great, another was outstanding!

Il Mulino...EVERY. SINGLE. DISH. LOOKS. INCREDIBLE.
OMG they ALL were :goodvibes

Il Mulino is one of my favorite restaurants on property!! Your rigatoni looks amazinggg
s
It seems like more people should know and talk about it! That rigatoni was fabulous, I can still taste it and can't wait to have it again........

I think I will celebrate with some wine! Seriously just make sure it is a sweeter one. I had a bunch of sweeter ones before running across one that was very sharp and acidic and if that were my first one I probably never would have tried it again! I don't like beer much either but tried the grapefruit beer in advance of my planned biergarten adr and LOVED it, I have made myself stop drinking it so it will be "special" when I go, lol. I like hard ciders and mixed drinks. chardonnay and pinot and those kind of wines, bleh. I just do not like. I did discover that grapefruit beer goes GREAT with hot wings though!:rotfl:
The grapefruit beer in Germany is still one I haven't tried.......must put it on my Nov. list now :thumbsup2

The grapefruit beer in Germany is still one I haven't tried.......must put it on my Nov. list now :thumbsup2

I had to chime in here. I have always HATED beer, from the first time I tried it. I've tried and tried over the years, and YUCK! Can not drink the stuff, until, I tried the Schofferhofer Grapefruit beer at the Germany pavilion in Epcot this past May! After hearing about how amazing it is multiple times from reading @Vernie822 and @kastoney's dining reports, I thought what the heck, and gave it a shot! Can I just say, OMG, I loved it! My husband could not believe it, lol.

13316799_802980923135045_5106857789852175020_o.jpg

8/30 San Angel Inn (lunch)

We started our last day with a very quick breakfast from Roaring Forks, eaten at the bus stop on the way to Epcot. I didn't take pictures but I'm sure if you close your eyes you can picture it: Steve had coffee, I had a diet soda and a nice, flaky croissant. We had to hurry because we needed to check in for our Undiscovered Futureworld tour by 8:45 and we didn't want to be late. If you've never done a tour they warn you that they don't wait for tardy peeps, and while both tours we've done have had stragglers join up, I didn't want that to be us!

I won't go into the tour here except to say that it was fantastic! Much more than I thought it would be. I didn't take pictures but I did write about it in my Nov. PTR that I have going if you're at all interested in taking a look, it's on page 26 :)

ANYWAY- the tour conveniently ended in the China pavilion not long after 1:00 and we had a 1:30 ADR at San Angel Inn, made the night before. We'd never eaten there and we haven't eaten at La Hacienda de San Angel, even though we both love Mexican food. The menu here did a little more for me than at La Hacienda, so this is where we ended up.

Sorry people in the picture! Now while it is my goal to eat at every WS restaurant, the main reason I really wanted to eat here was to try one of these for the first time:

That's the Avocado margarita! In January I tried twice to get one from La Cava but the lines were always ridiculous. Of course when we walked in for our ADR La Cava had NO line, and none when we left. Whatevs, I got mine with lunch and I loved it. Not at all what I thought it would be! In fact I'm not sure how to describe it except to say it didn't make me think of avocados at all. It was sweeter than I thought but not real sweet and.......well, really good! I just don't know what else to say, I'm sorry if you've never tried one and are looking for a description but if you have had one, feel free to chime in with what you think it tastes like! Steve had a Corona, also no picture but like the croissant, self-explanatory. And I should mention the pictures are kind of dark since it's dark inside the pavilion.

The did bring chips and 2 kinds of salsa to the table which I forgot to get a picture of. We didn't get any apps; I went with the Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo

Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onions, served with rice and refried black beans.
These were very good, pretty much what I expected them to be. The tomatillo sauce was nice and spicy. The rice and especially the black beans were very tasty!
Steve ordered the Tacos de Carne:

Grilled NY strip steak over flour tortillas, topped with chipotle pepper sauce, scallions and avocado, served with rice and refried black beans.

He liked these as well and cleaned his plate. I'm not sure why we didn't get dessert; I briefly considered ordering another margarita and calling it dessert but decided I needed to get my go-to drink as we walked WS instead. So overall we liked San Angel, the food was good, nothing bad about it or to complain about. Oh except for how close the tables are. They're like Le Cellier close. When we were first seated there was a party at the table to our left and Steve gave me "the look", which meant he wasn't happy. Luckily they were leaving and nobody was seated on either side of us again until about 5 minutes before we left. I don't particularly like tables that close but it doesn't bother me like it does him.
I'd come back here if I wanted Mexican and I'd also like to try La Hacienda. However nothing blew us away (except my margarita ;)) but I still consider it a good meal.
We strolled WS and had some excellent surprise character meets by the American pavilion and the IG, but not before grabbing our final grey goose slush of the trip-
Really bad selfie my husband made me take that I don't know why the hell I'm sharing:

Then by 4:00 we were on a bus back to the WL right ahead of the torrential rains, left to figure out where our final meal of the trip would be..........

I had to chime in here. I have always HATED beer, from the first time I tried it. I've tried and tried over the years, and YUCK! Can not drink the stuff, until, I tried the Schofferhofer Grapefruit beer at the Germany pavilion in Epcot this past May! After hearing about how amazing it is multiple times from reading @Vernie822 and @kastoney's dining reports, I thought what the heck, and gave it a shot! Can I just say, OMG, I loved it! My husband could not believe it, lol.
That cements it, I'm trying the Schofferhofer in November! I've also read about it numerous times in both Ashley's @Vernie822 and Kari's @kastoney reports, but always pass it up for drinks I'm more positive I'll like. But if someone who normally hates beer is a fan, then there's a good chance I will be, too. Thanks for sharing, and you certainly look like you were enjoying it!

If we get to the Village Il Mulino before you in June, I'll let you know how it is :)

Lots of time till June....
And I actually looked up the menu online. Looks different from the one you went to though.

And looks like a real tasty meal over at San Angel. I briefly considered checking availability on my last Epcot day but ultimately decided not to, but more about that when I actually get to it on my TR.

That cements it, I'm trying the Schofferhofer in November! I've also read about it numerous times in both Ashley's @Vernie822 and Kari's @kastoney reports, but always pass it up for drinks I'm more positive I'll like. But if someone who normally hates beer is a fan, then there's a good chance I will be, too. Thanks for sharing, and you certainly look like you were enjoying it!
I'm not a beer person and i loved it too. If you like grapefruit you will love it, it's the perfect blend of sweet and bitter and so delicious and refreshing.

I have not been to San Angel since 2001, but I think it's so pretty in there. I'm looking forward to our CP meal there in December.
I'm with your husband on not being a fan of close tables! Our kids like to go to Cracker Barrel because a particular local one spawns a lot of good Pokemon in Pokemon Go. The tables there are so close together, like you can hardly move your chair at all without backing it into the person sitting at the table behind you. I hate it.

I'm also joining the chorus of others peer pressuring you into the Schofferhofer. It's good. After we got back from our last trip, I found some at the World Market in Kansas City, and bought a whole bunch. That was a year ago, and I think there's still one in the refrigerator. Oops. The alcohol content is super low, so don't expect it to tilt the earth, but it's refreshing and delicious.

8/30 San Angel Inn (lunch)

We started our last day with a very quick breakfast from Roaring Forks, eaten at the bus stop on the way to Epcot. I didn't take pictures but I'm sure if you close your eyes you can picture it: Steve had coffee, I had a diet soda and a nice, flaky croissant. We had to hurry because we needed to check in for our Undiscovered Futureworld tour by 8:45 and we didn't want to be late. If you've never done a tour they warn you that they don't wait for tardy peeps, and while both tours we've done have had stragglers join up, I didn't want that to be us!

I won't go into the tour here except to say that it was fantastic! Much more than I thought it would be. I didn't take pictures but I did write about it in my Nov. PTR that I have going if you're at all interested in taking a look, it's on page 26 :)

ANYWAY- the tour conveniently ended in the China pavilion not long after 1:00 and we had a 1:30 ADR at San Angel Inn, made the night before. We'd never eaten there and we haven't eaten at La Hacienda de San Angel, even though we both love Mexican food. The menu here did a little more for me than at La Hacienda, so this is where we ended up.

Sorry people in the picture! Now while it is my goal to eat at every WS restaurant, the main reason I really wanted to eat here was to try one of these for the first time:

That's the Avocado margarita! In January I tried twice to get one from La Cava but the lines were always ridiculous. Of course when we walked in for our ADR La Cava had NO line, and none when we left. Whatevs, I got mine with lunch and I loved it. Not at all what I thought it would be! In fact I'm not sure how to describe it except to say it didn't make me think of avocados at all. It was sweeter than I thought but not real sweet and.......well, really good! I just don't know what else to say, I'm sorry if you've never tried one and are looking for a description but if you have had one, feel free to chime in with what you think it tastes like! Steve had a Corona, also no picture but like the croissant, self-explanatory. And I should mention the pictures are kind of dark since it's dark inside the pavilion.

The did bring chips and 2 kinds of salsa to the table which I forgot to get a picture of. We didn't get any apps; I went with the Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo

Corn tortillas filled with pulled chicken covered with green tomatillo sauce, topped with sour cream, queso fresco and onions, served with rice and refried black beans.
These were very good, pretty much what I expected them to be. The tomatillo sauce was nice and spicy. The rice and especially the black beans were very tasty!
Steve ordered the Tacos de Carne:

Grilled NY strip steak over flour tortillas, topped with chipotle pepper sauce, scallions and avocado, served with rice and refried black beans.

He liked these as well and cleaned his plate. I'm not sure why we didn't get dessert; I briefly considered ordering another margarita and calling it dessert but decided I needed to get my go-to drink as we walked WS instead. So overall we liked San Angel, the food was good, nothing bad about it or to complain about. Oh except for how close the tables are. They're like Le Cellier close. When we were first seated there was a party at the table to our left and Steve gave me "the look", which meant he wasn't happy. Luckily they were leaving and nobody was seated on either side of us again until about 5 minutes before we left. I don't particularly like tables that close but it doesn't bother me like it does him.
I'd come back here if I wanted Mexican and I'd also like to try La Hacienda. However nothing blew us away (except my margarita ;)) but I still consider it a good meal.
We strolled WS and had some excellent surprise character meets by the American pavilion and the IG, but not before grabbing our final grey goose slush of the trip-
Really bad selfie my husband made me take that I don't know why the hell I'm sharing:

Then by 4:00 we were on a bus back to the WL right ahead of the torrential rains, left to figure out where our final meal of the trip would be..........

I do love the atmosphere in there and the food is really good, but I agree about the tables. I don't want to feel like we are all eating together.

13316799_802980923135045_5106857789852175020_o.jpg

YAY! So glad you liked it! I don't think it's too beer-y.. definitely sweet and refreshing! :)

I'm late, but I'm here!! And I'm drooling all over the place.. particularly at Il Mulino, OMG.

Hello! And welcome to my first attempt at a dining report. I think I do OK with trip reports so hopefully you won't all be bored to tears. My husband Steve and I took our 3rd "kid-free" trip Aug. 27-31st, staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time (loved it!)

Yaaaaa! Wilderness Lodge sounds amazing!

The darker 3 pieces up front were some type of whole grain bread, very good according to Steve and I did have one bite. However I was concerning myself more with the 2 pieces towards the back, which was their Kalamata olive bread! I've had dreams about this bread since our last visit.........I'd say you have to like Kalamata olives but the taste isn't overwhelming; if you do like them you can certainly catch the flavor and it is de-lish. Especially with the sea-salt butter they give you which I forgot to take a picture of. I need to be forgiven since it's my first dining report attempt! Next trip, all condiments will be photographed more than necessary, promise!

In the words of Oprah, I. Love. Bread. That Kalamata one looks fantastic.

I still have yet to find these, but I guess I now know where they are! An aunt of mine makes something really similar, and I love it.

Corn muffin, vegetable frittata, a slice of breakfast pizza, and the fabulous french toast bread pudding with praline sauce.
It all was delicious. The frittata was a tad cold but still good while the pizza was warm and the bread pudding was just as I remembered it. It's good enough by itself but if you like sweet for breakfast, the praline sauce really adds to it

French toast bread pudding.. breakfast of champions! We have wanted to eat there for a while now. Looks like there are so many options!

That's a Kari, or @kastoney as any of you avid dining report readers know. We watched the JB show together with our drinks - beer for Steve and I, a lemonade for Kari's daughter Casey and some very fancy pink drink from the Bar for Kari and her husband Jason.

OMG! You found Kari, YAY!!

Okay so Skipper Canteen hasn't even been on my radar. I think I took one look at the entrees and thought I'd rather not, but both of your apps sound amazing! I rarely find falafel in Erie PA but I've had it at Flower and Garden before and loved it. And whatever those arepas/tostones are, I think they look awesome too.

This was actually a little less sweet than other Moscatos I've had and I liked it better. I still need to look for it around here instead of just buying my standard kinds. Whenever our waiter Joe (who was fantastic) asked if I wanted another glass I said yes without hesitation!

Love me some moscato! I'll have to find that kind. I used to like the Barefoot brand (#classy) but lately it tastes syrupy-sweet to me. There's a brand called Bartenuro that comes in a blue bottle that I absolutely love - have you tried that one?

I did! And it was out of this world :cloud9: This dish was rigatoni, wild mushrooms, spicy cherry tomatoes, garlic and truffle oil.
Truth, when I finished I had what amounted to quite a few mushrooms left in my dish, quite possibly the same amount that were brought to me minus like 3. While I didn't go as far as to physically eat most of these particular mushrooms the flavor had permeated the pasta and that's what I liked. And I did at least, once more, TRY mushrooms again! Anyway back to the dish: between the mushrooms, cherry peppers and truffle oil this was SO good and had immense flavor I came very close to eating the whole dish! I will not hesitate to order this again and in fact, since I made us an ADR here for Nov. once we returned from this trip, I just may be eating this again in about 55 days.

I am first of all, impressed that you went for the mushrooms! Whoa! I used to be a mushroom hater (I still am a pea-hater for the most part) but now I love them. They're not so bad! Everything at Il Mulino looks sooooooo good. Wow. I hope it's that fantastic for you guys in November!

I really enjoyed your DR! It's nice that I haven't been to many of your choices, it's honestly sounds like you 2 had the perfect vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter