But I Don't Like Peas and Mushrooms! An Aug. '16 Dining Report *updated 10/13 Wrap It Up!*

8/28 SNACKS, DINNER

After Trails End we went to spend some time in Epcot - technically our first park of the trip except for a quick ride on HM in MK the night before! We tried Ellen before she leaves, rode FEA for the first time with a very short SB wait, and shopped/watched some entertainment in WS. It wasn't long though before we were both quite parched, being August and all........there's only one thing to do in WS when you're parched!

Steve wanted to go with our France staple, but we were so very far from there and I couldn't wait. I decided to try something new (excuse my hair in this picture, I know it's scary. But it was HOT!)

White sangria from Morocco

I love sangria and while I've had it at Restaurant Marrakesh, I had no idea they served it outside at the juice bar . It was really, really good. Steve thought it tasted like apple juice but he doesn't know anything-didn't taste like any apple juice I've ever had! It was pretty fruity though for not having any fruit in it. I haven't had the Marrakesh sangria since Nov. so I may be wrong, but this tasted different. Not better or worse, just different. We continued or trek making a couple stops and eventually got Steve his Grey Goose slush

If you've never had one before, I like to describe it as "sunshine in a glass"-or plastic martini cup. It really tastes like lemonade and to be honest with you, even as a non-huge vodka drinker I don't taste the vodka much! So it's obviously Grey Goose vodka and......something lemony which I know but can't think of right now and am too lazy to look up :D

By the time we got to the UK and stopped to watch British Invasion I needed something else, so we got a Bass Ale and drank it while listening to the band. I'd tried Bass before and I'm glad it was what Steve wanted, because I loved it. I don't have a picture of that but I'm sure you all know what beer looks like! However I do have a picture of the Practically Perfect Mary Poppins meeting somewhere I'd never seen her meeting before

Weird? Or am I out of the loop with character location moves?? Last trip we saw her over on the edge of the UK gardens near where Alice meets; this is back where the band plays outside of a store on the sidewalk :confused3

We were all over WS in no particular order this day, and eventually our breakfast wore off and we needed something other than adult beverages. We weren't quite ready for a meal though so we opted for something else in France

Ice cream from L'Artisan des Glaces

I got a scoop of coconut white chocolate and one of cinnamon, caramelized apple & crumble crunch, (that's mine with the spoon in it) while Steve got the apple crumble crunch and a scoop of banana-lime. As good as the apple is, the coconut white chocolate, IMO, is way better. I've also had the chocolate mint from there which normally I love, but the cwc is my favorite of all. Steve thought the banana lime was alright but I liked it, I thought the flavors worked well together.

After the ice cream we were done at Epcot for the day and went back to Wilderness Lodge for a bit. We didn't have an ADR that night but we were going to AK for some nighttime entertainment and my plan was to eat at Harambe Market. I'd wanted to eat there last Nov. but nobody else did.........

We arrived 6, 6:15ish. We had a 7:25 FP for the safari so headed right to Harambe Market because we were hungry! I knew what I was going to order:
Beef and Pork Sausage:

Fried in curried corn batter, served with black-eyed pea, corn, & tomato salad.

I know ladies, that's a BIG sausage!!! :thumbsup2 And it was one of the better sausages I've had. I love corn dogs and figured I'd love the batter, which wasn't as sweet as your every day corn dog but still extremely good, moist, and corn-y. The sausage itself was flavorful if not a tad dry, so a little mustard helped out. I also enjoyed the salad which was refreshing.

Steve got the Tikka Masala chicken

Served with rice, green papaya slaw and black eyed pea, corn & tomato salad

Steve enjoyed this and I LOVED it. I also just realized they have a tikka masala chicken dish at Yak & Yeti, so I think we're definitely going there in Nov. It was spicy but not on-fire spicy.

Steve had water to drink and I got another sangria, but red this time

Red sangria with Van der Hum tangerine liquer

Normally I prefer white but this was very tasty, and more fruity than my earlier sangria from Morocco.

We rode the safari at dusk and then made our way over to the theater for the first Jungle Book show. We went over to the Thirsty Bar across from the theater, and look what I found!

That's a Kari, or @kastoney as any of you avid dining report readers know. We watched the JB show together with our drinks - beer for Steve and I, a lemonade for Kari's daughter Casey and some very fancy pink drink from the Bar for Kari and her husband Jason.

Before going back to our room I ran into Roaring Forks for the 2nd of my 3 Magic Bars - and my night was complete!

Coming up next is Skipper's Canteen and our BESTEST meal of the trip :goodvibes

This is so off topic but I love your Jungle Book tank top!

OH YES! Great review of territory lounge! We are looking forward to dining there again as our first dinner of our NYE trip in December. We will be staying in the villas for a night before starting a package at the Lodge so I definitely want to get that mushroom soup. We also want to try the house bread with Lardo Butter and I think that burger is now on "the list". Can't wait to read your wrap up. Great trip and great reviews as always!!!

Just went back to re-read your Trail's End review. I booked a brunch for my upcoming trip!
Booked it for a Saturday, though, not a Sunday. I don't know what that means in terms of food offerings. I hope they have at least some of the more special items like you had! :D

This is so off topic but I love your Jungle Book tank top!
Thanks! I got it at Hot Topic, I love all their Disney clothes and accessories :goodvibes

OH YES! Great review of territory lounge! We are looking forward to dining there again as our first dinner of our NYE trip in December. We will be staying in the villas for a night before starting a package at the Lodge so I definitely want to get that mushroom soup. We also want to try the house bread with Lardo Butter and I think that burger is now on "the list". Can't wait to read your wrap up. Great trip and great reviews as always!!!
I'm so jealous of your WL stay, I don't think I want to talk to you anymore :snooty: Just kidding! :hug: That Platinum Package sounds awesome!
I thought the lounge was nice and cozy on a chilly, rainy night and I loved the vibe in there. I wish we'd discovered it before our last night, but when we stay there again I'll definitely build in time to go there more than once! Just about everything on their menu sounded so good.......

Just went back to re-read your Trail's End review. I booked a brunch for my upcoming trip!
Booked it for a Saturday, though, not a Sunday. I don't know what that means in terms of food offerings. I hope they have at least some of the more special items like you had! :D
We have brunch booked on a Sat. next month, so I too hope it's the same offerings! I don't see why it wouldn't be :scratchin My younger son saw the pictures and insisted I book it lol. I hope we both get the same stuff and I really hope you enjoy it as much as Steve and I did!

Wow, what a great meal at Territory Lounge! I am dying to try that soup and the burger looks like something my DH and boys would enjoy. Yet another place to put on my list! Thanks for sharing your terrific report! :)

Hi guys! Sorry it's been a few days since my last review; I have one more to do and I'm ready to go!

8/30 Territory Lounge (dinner)

So, after San Angel and some totally cool surprise M&G's at Epcot we were on our way back to Wilderness Lodge ahead of the rain, which luckily was like the theme our whole trip. Once there we took a quick detour to explore the Villas before going to our room.

I actually had wanted to go to the pool a bit-not to swim, uh-uh I DO NOT swim, but just to sit there taking in the atmosphere and having a drink or 2. But as I said the rain had started and by the time we entered the lodge and were walking inside past the pool, it was absolutely pouring. Oh well, one of 1000 reasons for us to stay at WL again!

It was shortly after 5 so we did some packing and called the kids, and started thinking about what we wanted to do for dinner. Originally I'd considered going into a park to finish the night but, the rain :( Lots of it. Same deal for DS which we hadn't visited at all. We ended up going back and forth between Whispering Canyon Cafe and Artists Point, and eventually settled on WCC. We ate here for dinner a few years ago with the boys and while we didn't love it, we liked it enough. And did I say it was dark, thundering, lightning and POURING??? Sounded like staying in was our best option. I made an ADR for 6:45.

I needed to shower because I was grossly sweaty, and after that we went down to have a before-dinner drink in Territory Lounge.
Sangria? Sure! Steve got his grey goose vodka on the rocks

We sat at a table and looked around; it's really cute in there! Later on our server told us it's "Louis and Clark" themed, which explained why the ceiling is map of their expedition:

There were a few people at the bar and about 4 other tables occupied, mostly by dressed up people we assumed were waiting for their reservations next door at Artist Point. As we were sitting there we saw a table by us get food, and it looked GOOD. Steve actually started drooling over a burger they had as that's what he was in the mood for, which wasn't on the menu over at WCC. I completely forgot you could order food in the lounge so we asked a server who came to check on us for a menu

Oh man, this menu just looked so good. We were starting to regret our Whispering Canyon reservation that was slowly approaching. Well, after a quick discussion we decided to be rebels and blow off the ADR (I know, I know, someone else may have wanted that :P) and just eat there! We needed the burger we'd seen walk over to the other table! However we were pretty hungry so decided we'd each get an appetizer first. Steve ordered the Crispy Asian Chicken Wings

With a Miso-Soy Sauce, green onion and sesame.

He LOVED these. He said they had so much flavor and if he didn't have more food coming, he'd have gotten another order.

My appetizer was something I never ever before this trip thought I'd be ordering. Looking at the menu can you figure out what I ordered?

SMOKY PORTABELLO BISQUE, yes guys my THIRD mushroom dish!!!
With Crispy Oyster Mushrooms and Fines Herbs

This is the soup they serve at Artist Point next door that normally gets rave reviews here. I ordered it for 2 reasons: 1. I was freezing my *** off in there, and 2. I was 2 for 2 so far with loving my mushroom dishes so I figured I had nothing to lose! And I chose right; this was delicious. The crispy mushrooms on top tasted like bacon to me which is never a bad thing and the soup itself had a mushroom flavor but not an overpowering one, and it didn't have chunks of mushroom in it or anything. I practically licked the bowl clean! It's filling though, so I was glad Steve and I did something we never do: split a dish :scared1:

The Gourmet Burger that we'd seen earlier, with "Land" lettuce, tomato, house pickles, truffle fries with Aioli

I know this picture doesn't really show the burger but it was cooked perfect and hit the spot. The truffle fries were the hit though, especially with the Aioli. We split the burger and I still couldn't finish half I was so full.
We were 100% satisfied with our meal at Territory Lounge. It's the perfect choice if WCC isn't your thing, you aren't up for a signature meal or don't feel like really "planning". It never got busy but people were coming in and out the whole time we were there, and in addition to us there were always at least 2 or 3 other tables ordering food plus a combination of people waiting for AP reservations and others just chillin'.
Luckily by the time we were done shortly after 8 it had stopped raining except for a very light drizzle, so we walked around outside a bit. We had to catch DME at 5:15 in the morning so this was our last meal of the trip, but we managed to make a final stop in Roaring Forks before turning in for the night and picked up my THIRD heavenly Magic bar along with something for Steve:

I'll be back to wrap this baby up!
that menu looks totally amazeballs! like I'm not sure what i'd order! we are going to be doing WCC for breakfast to see the WL for christmas, i wish I could fit this in instead!

Oh my gosh, that burger, fries & soup! I may have to take a quick boat ride over from the MK just for that!

The portobello soup is one of the best things ever in LIFE! I love it so so so so much.

And I'm a certified addict to those sprinkled sugar cookies from Roaring Forks (and the s'mores cupcakes).

:sad::sad::sad: I miss the Lodge :sad::sad::sad:

We're going by in December to see the decorations, I guess that will have to do!

The portobello soup is one of the best things ever in LIFE! I love it so so so so much.

And I'm a certified addict to those sprinkled sugar cookies from Roaring Forks (and the s'mores cupcakes).

We're going by in December to see the decorations, I guess that will have to do!

I think I'm going to have to spend some more time at Wilderness Lodge on my next trip!

I'm so jealous of your WL stay, I don't think I want to talk to you anymore :snooty: Just kidding! :hug: That Platinum Package sounds awesome!
I thought the lounge was nice and cozy on a chilly, rainy night and I loved the vibe in there. I wish we'd discovered it before our last night, but when we stay there again I'll definitely build in time to go there more than once! Just about everything on their menu sounded so good.......

It's okay, I don't want to talk to me anymore either! LOL. We ate at the Territory Lounge once before (I think it was last December actually) and we had the tomato flatbread and it was so much better than I was expecting. I have also dined at Artist Point and we had bad service which has kept me from returning so the Lounge is a much more palatable option for me!

Wow, what a great meal at Territory Lounge! I am dying to try that soup and the burger looks like something my DH and boys would enjoy. Yet another place to put on my list! Thanks for sharing your terrific report! :)
You're welcome, thank you for following along!

Aww I've been really enjoying your report! I'm kind of sad it's almost over! It's been making me very excited for my WL stay!
LOL, I was sad when our trip was over! Luckily we have another one right around the corner and since I enjoyed doing this dining report so much, I think I'll do one when we get back from that trip :thumbsup2 I'm excited for your WL stay too, I hope you love it!

that menu looks totally amazeballs! like I'm not sure what i'd order! we are going to be doing WCC for breakfast to see the WL for christmas, i wish I could fit this in instead!
OMG, if we hadn't seen that burger being served I think we both would have had a tough time deciding what to get! As it was it took Steve awhile to decide on his wings......I'm sure you guys will love WCC, it's so much fun! We're going over to see the lodge all decorated at some point on our trip next month, the pictures make it look beautiful :goodvibes

Oh my gosh, that burger, fries & soup! I may have to take a quick boat ride over from the MK just for that!
I would lol! It's worth it!

You're welcome, thank you for following along!

LOL, I was sad when our trip was over! Luckily we have another one right around the corner and since I enjoyed doing this dining report so much, I think I'll do one when we get back from that trip :thumbsup2 I'm excited for your WL stay too, I hope you love it!

OMG, if we hadn't seen that burger being served I think we both would have had a tough time deciding what to get! As it was it took Steve awhile to decide on his wings......I'm sure you guys will love WCC, it's so much fun! We're going over to see the lodge all decorated at some point on our trip next month, the pictures make it look beautiful :goodvibes

I would lol! It's worth it!
I decided to do WCC when I saw a pic from inside the restaurant of the tree. I will ask for a table near the lobby so we can drink in the atmosphere. OH and the all you can drink milkshakes are available at breakfast. :banana: not that I would indulge in that or anything (...anywhere but at wdw.... lol).

I'm actually quite surprised you have (basically) 3 trips planned and NONE are at WL :scared1: What's up with that anyway????
I've dreamed about that soup many a night since coming home :cloud9: I tried to figure out if I could somehow have it next month but, just don't think it'll happen. But whenever my next trip is? Oh, I'm gettin' me some!

I think I'm going to have to spend some more time at Wilderness Lodge on my next trip!
I vote yes, you should!

OK, everything on the menu at Territory Lounge sounded good. No wonder you stayed there and ate! Now I'm hungry...
Exactly ::yes:: I did feel bad about blowing off our WCC ADR but hey, we were without kids, enjoying ourselves, and it just FELT RIGHT to eat there! And lucky for us it totally ended up being the right choice.

territory lounge looks great sometimes spur of the moment is the right way to go.
I am a big fan of spur of the moment!
It's one of the things I love most about going without the kids, I feel much more comfortable "winging" our meals! I'd even try a couple "spur of the moment" lunches or dinners when we have the kids, but since our next trip is over Thanksgiving week I just don't think it's the best time.

I vote yes, you should!

I think so too! I visited on my last trip, but I was kind of in a hurry. I want to actually enjoy it this time.

It's one of the things I love most about going without the kids, I feel much more comfortable "winging" our meals! I'd even try a couple "spur of the moment" lunches or dinners when we have the kids, but since our next trip is over Thanksgiving week I just don't think it's the best time.

That is the beauty of being a solo traveler! I pretty much wing it all the time.

Wrap Up!

I was so happy we ended our stay with such a delicious dinner at Territory Lounge, and my 3rd Magic Bar made a tasty breakfast once we got to MCO in the morning. It's not that hard to pick a "best" meal of the trip but I can't single out a "worst" because we really didn't have anything bad. I guess I'd say:
Best Meal: IL MULINO! I'm dying to go back in 38 days!!!
Worst Meal: for Steve it would be his plain boring salad at Skippers :sad2: For me I really had nothing bad; I'll go with least fancy meal and say my sandwich at Roaring Forks, but it was still very good.
Best Drink: sorry Grey Goose Slush ol' buddy ol' pal, but I think the Avocado margarita beats you out. Don't worry, you're still my 2nd fave and Steve's first!
And since Steve and I cannot wait to go back to Il Mulino, I'll do the
Place We Liked But Aren't Dying To Return To: San Angel Inn. We had a good meal but it wasn't any different than Mexican restaurants by us - again, not saying it was bad in any way. Luckily I can get the margarita at La Cava :thumbsup2

What did I learn on this trip? Lots of great things about Future World, we love, love, love Wilderness Lodge, and never say never when it comes to a food you think you don't like! You're never too old to embrace a new food; and keep forcing your kids to try things they insist they don't like :rotfl2:

Thank you all for following along!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter