Bumped from VWL upon checkin and given Lodge rooms?

Slightly OT, but when I mentioned this to the MS supervisor, she told me that developer inventory accounts for less than 2% of inventory. Why am I thinking that it is actually 5%? Isn't that in our documents somewhere?
There's a reference in the POS that says it's usually between 2-4% if I recall correctly. It is not definitive nor overly specific.

Thanks. It was actually a man, his mother and two young nieces.

Hmm, with that makeup I think I would prefer two rooms and two bathrooms.

Sorry if I missed it, but were they upset?

Monetarily, they did make out. Two WL rooms go for $530-690 in regular season depending on view and bunkbeds or not. A 1 BR is $470. Plus they did get a little something extra.

I do think members would mind such a switch much more than the average guest.

Hasn't the VWL had maintenance going on here recently? Maybe that's why it happened. If they were provided a daily credit/food allowance (because of the loss of the kitchen) I would have been satisfied with 2 rooms at WL.

Could you imagine if they had a bunch of groceries that they either bought on the way or had delivered?

2 rooms plus DDP for the entire stay would have been fair.

just 2 rooms plus $100 is not.

but if your friends were okay - then I guess it is okay. They were the ones who were hurt.

Hasn't the VWL had maintenance going on here recently? Maybe that's why it happened. If they were provided a daily credit/food allowance (because of the loss of the kitchen) I would have been satisfied with 2 rooms at WL.

I suspect no one will ever know the true answer as to why it happened except those who were involved in making the change

things happen, no one can begrudge DVC of that, but just apply some type of fair comp. If something goes wrong, You make right by the guest! Your supposed to then go above and beyond to make up for the inconvienance. $100 is not above and beyond, its $5 per guest per day--which is basically garbage

what stinks is that they even try to pass that off as a decent comp, whether it was accepted or not, they ripped those poor guests off. maybe the guests didnt feel that way but it happened.

Customer relations *will* respond if you email. I emailed my complaints about AKLV to everyone I could think of and got two telephone calls in response - one from WDW Guest communications and one from DVC Member relations. Let us know how you make out.

Customer relations *will* respond if you email. I emailed my complaints about AKLV to everyone I could think of and got two telephone calls in response - one from WDW Guest communications and one from DVC Member relations. Let us know how you make out.

I hope you're right. Referring the owner to e-mail strikes me as a way of passing the buck.

FWIW, there's just no way I find this a reasonable accommodation for DVC. Unless the entire DVC building had burned down the week before, there's just no way I'd accept DVC reservations to get bumped to a hotel. As JimMIA says, there is a points inventory and cash inventory. Points inventory is NEVER supposed to be overbooked. If rooms aren't available then they can't be booked ahead of time. If more rooms than expected are out for maintenance (more than allotted by the 2-4% reserve), then the owner should be called well in advance.

Now I've heard the odd incident of the hotel DVCs screwing up and having to move guests. But always to another comparable DVC.

Please keep us all informed. As an owner, I'm very interested to hear what Disney has to say for itself on this one. As far as I'm concerned, their actions are far beyond the pale for the timeshare industry.

I hope you're right. Referring the owner to e-mail strikes me as a way of passing the buck.
I'm sure they will respond but I think you're right that this is passing the buck. It's essentially saying it's not DVC but is the resort who is responsible and neither the resort nor guest services cannot give back points. I'd also send a letter to DVC stating my concerns, position and what I expected in compensation if anything.

This is hard to believe. To think I could book 2 villas, one for myself and hubby and the other for daughter and grandkids and someone would consider my daughter and grandkids renters??? Sorry, but there is a difference in renters and guests. A renter is someone who pays for their accommodations. There is no way for the resort to know the difference between the two. I would be po'd if my daughter and the kids got bumped out of a 1 bdroom when they need that kitchen for the bottles and baby/toddler foods. I agree, cash/CRO reservations should be the first to be bumped, not DVC members, their friends and family members.

That was my first though. Lulu....do you rent out a lot of points?

No I have only rented my points out once and that was about 4 years ago. We are very generous with our friends and family and often take them with us. If they really wanted to look at who our reservations are used for, they could easily see that the guest's last names match ours, the addresses of our guests are in the same city as us and we are always there at the same time! This was the one exception since it was a charity donation. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

And as an FYI for those interested in the system being screwy, I did log into the DVC website to see it anything was fishy and the reservation was cancelled on the checkin day, the points put in holding, but then reversed manually two days later.

I wonder if DVC is trying to really stop rentals....
Could that be the reason....
Just wondering.
Not buying it.

They're doing this by giving up $100 at each suspected rental? I think that might end up costing them a substantial amount of money before there was any impact.

Plus where are they going to give two hotel rooms for the people they think are renting at SS and OKW?

What I'm wondering is out of who's pocket that money came? If Disney overbooked, do they pay for their mistake with our dues money?

This is hard to believe. To think I could book 2 villas, one for myself and hubby and the other for daughter and grandkids and someone would consider my daughter and grandkids renters??? Sorry, but there is a difference in renters and guests. A renter is someone who pays for their accommodations. There is no way for the resort to know the difference between the two. I would be po'd if my daughter and the kids got bumped out of a 1 bdroom when they need that kitchen for the bottles and baby/toddler foods. I agree, cash/CRO reservations should be the first to be bumped, not DVC members, their friends and family members.
Technically with DVC, a renter is anyone who gives anything of value for the accommodation. That could be as simple as buying you dinner or as much as a full cash rental. However, IMO, it should not matter and any guest or renter should be treated the same as the member from an accommodation standpoint and fortunately that is the way almost all timeshares function.

If this has been brought up...I missed it, but....I think I would really be going after this with the angle of the treatment of a sick child.....being given a trip(their first trip wasn't it?) to WDW...and being treated in this manner. I was given 2 four day hopper passes because they lost my park packages 2 days in a row. I didn't ask for any compensation....it was just offered. I can't believe Disney treated this family in this manner.

If this has been brought up...I missed it, but....I think I would really be going after this with the angle of the treatment of a sick child.....being given a trip(their first trip wasn't it?) to WDW...and being treated in this manner. I was given 2 four day hopper passes because they lost my park packages 2 days in a row. I didn't ask for any compensation....it was just offered. I can't believe Disney treated this family in this manner.

Actually, a charity was raising money for a family with a sick child. DH and I gave a one-week stay using our DVC points to the charity to raffle to help them raise money. The raffle winners were not the people with the sick child, but yes it was their first trip. The winner is not a local person, which is why they could have looked like renters to DVC. As it turns out, the winner was here from out of town working on New Orleans hurricane recovery and just happened to buy a raffle ticket. Which is why DVC shouldn't play a guessing game when it comes to renters if they are.

snip And as an FYI for those interested in the system being screwy, I did log into the DVC website to see it anything was fishy and the reservation was cancelled on the checkin day, the points put in holding, but then reversed manually two days later.
Okay, I thought that is what should have happened given the information on the person who got upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom.

So what did the raffle winners think? Were they upset, or did they take it in stride?

Actually, a charity was raising money for a family with a sick child. DH and I gave a one-week stay using our DVC points to the charity to raffle to help them raise money. The raffle winners were not the people with the sick child, but yes it was their first trip. The winner is not a local person, which is why they could have looked like renters to DVC. As it turns out, the winner was here from out of town working on New Orleans hurricane recovery and just happened to buy a raffle ticket. Which is why DVC shouldn't play a guessing game when it comes to renters if they are.

Regardless of how everything turned out, you did a very generous thing by donating those points. What a kind thing to do. I hope the raffle was very successful and the child is getting the treatment they need.

I think they should have offered similar accomidations at another DVC resort. I would rather get a 1 bedroom at SSR or OKW than 2 standard rooms at WL. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. I still would recommend that, under the circumstances, we tell anyone using our points to CALL THE MEMBER during check in if this comes up again. It would not have happend this way if the member was called at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter