• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bumped from VWL upon checkin and given Lodge rooms?

We're checking into VWL on the 16th. Did they elaborate on the renovations that are going on? How extensive are they? It is very weird that it is happening at the time of year when VWL is most popular. Maybe there is some sort of problem? Just speculating here.

Happy to hear Maggie called you back with a better solution. Hope you have a magical trip and many, many more!

What kind of maintenance is going on at VWL - anybody know? I've got reservations for New Years week that I booked at my VWL 11 month window day by day for my kids and nieces and nephews. Hopefully things will be back to normal for that holiday week (cause availability would be slim to none).

Things are looking up. Maggie called to say that she found volunteers who were willing to move, as "obviously we can't move the entire resort." While I'm a little worried about what the renovations will mean to those of us staying at the resort, if they are truly that extensive, I'm hugely relieved at this resolution and hope no more shoes will drop! Thanks again for the supportive statements; they definitely helped my resolve to fight this through to a fair conclusion.

I wouldn't worry too much about the construction/noise level. Disney is VERY good at making construction a non-issue. And when folks have been booking to stay at AKV, MS has been giving specific statements about being aware of noise, etc. If you didn't get a specific statement, that means that they do not expext the noise to be an issue.

For those that stayed at AKV during the "noise warning" - I don't think there was even one complaint here on the DIS. Everyone came back saying that they either didn't hear anything or if they did, it was a non-issue.

Enjoy your new home! :wizard:

We're scheduled for a 1 bedroom at VWL 1/4 thru 1/11.....hope all construction is done before then so we don't get a call about moving! Although I have to say I didn't even make this ressie until 7/12 and didn't have any problems getting all my days on the first try. VWL is our home resort, but, we didn't decide until July that we were going in January (we thought maybe we would just bank our points this year.......yeah, right.....who were we kidding.......we need to be there a few times a year!!!)

As for being moved from a 1br to 2 hotel rooms, I would have been salivating because I would have looked at it as an opportunity to get as much as I could and turn it into my benefit. Free DDP and free laundry service would have been the minimum I would have accepted and would have been totally justified in requesting as a comparable trade-off. Either that or the two rooms and all my points reinstated. Unfortunately, they pulled this on a guest who really didn't have the ammunition to make demands.

As for the person who was (initially) being forced from their 11-month VWL reservation because of maintenance issues, as long as the reason for addressing these issues was something out of DVC control, stuff happens and I can't blame DVC for having to cancel some reservations. What I would like to know, however, is what kind of protocol they used in bumping guests? As Dean has said previously, there should be an order to this, with reservations made by non-resort owners bumped first on a reservation date order, only then followed by owner reservations by reservation date. I find it hard to believe that this kind of order was followed if an owner who made day by day reservations at 11 months was slated to be bumped.

Funny, I had all sorts of alternatives in my head also. Yeah, we will take a room at WL, but with DDP every day and only charge me half the points of a studio!

And I agree, asking an owner who booked at 11 months is just absurd:confused: .

Well, I just got an early Christmas lump of coal from Disney. We were scheduled to start a six-night stay at VWL on 12/15, and member services (Maggie) called to tell me that due to renovations, I was being bumped to either SSR or OKW. After expressing some of my frustrations, I was then offered $120 in Disney Dollars, which I felt to be still underwhelming, to which I was given the party line about how all the resorts are equal, how some people will only stay at OKW, etc. I said that they were giving me no choice but to write a letter to Jim Lewis, to which they replied that they would have to get back to me. For our first trip home, this is certainly starting off disappointingly.

WE JUST received that same exact call from Maggie. We were on a waitlist for VWL and that came through in August. Now today we get the call saying we could move to SSR or OKW. I asked the same question. Why in the world would you renovate during Christmas? We were going to be staying Dec 16-23rd. We really had our hearts set on VWL as it is our favorite resort. Now we are setteling for OKW. Merry Christmas to US!!

so sorry!!!

but you were good enough to move. might call maggie back and ask that your name be first in line for next year at Christmas at VWL.

WE JUST received that same exact call from Maggie. We were on a waitlist for VWL and that came through in August. Now today we get the call saying we could move to SSR or OKW. I asked the same question. Why in the world would you renovate during Christmas? We were going to be staying Dec 16-23rd. We really had our hearts set on VWL as it is our favorite resort. Now we are setteling for OKW. Merry Christmas to US!!

AAARRRGGGHHHHH:scared1:

How did they answer your question about renovating during Christmas?

Please tell me that they are giving you something for your willingness to switch.

I am praying that this Maggie gal doesn't call me.

I am very sorry this has happened.:sad1:

WOW I am surprised to see these stories.

Lulu - I hope you are able to get some resolution because two rooms at the hotel do not equate to a villa! No way, no how. Keep us posted.

As for the renovations at VWL, I am happy to hear that. I stayed there one night back in April, and was very un-impressed. The one bedroom I was in needed tons of work....first and foremost NEW LINENS!!!

UPDATE

After speaking with two levels of people on the member satisfaction team, I was told the best they could do would be to reinstate 30 points, which equates to 25% of the points for the reservation and get this - PIXIE DUST. Yes, a nebulous offer of pixie dust during my next trip, whatever that means in an attempt to (I quote) "make you forget the bad experience you had". I told her to try again, so she said she will get back to me. We'll see.

The first member satisfaction team member confirmed after I asked him twice and repeated back what I heard him say and had him confirm it again that the order of who gets bumped is
(1) guests of members on points, then
(2) people on cash reservations, then
(3) members

I have a real problem with this and think I will be changing my guest's upcoming reservation to my name! They could offer the moon and it wouldn't make me happy if this policy sticks.

The "guests of members on points" being moved first does rankle me. These are the family/friends that we bought so many points for to bring with us.

Bobbi

UPDATE

After speaking with two levels of people on the member satisfaction team, I was told the best they could do would be to reinstate 30 points, which equates to 25% of the points for the reservation and get this - PIXIE DUST. Yes, a nebulous offer of pixie dust during my next trip, whatever that means in an attempt to (I quote) "make you forget the bad experience you had".

This just cracked me up. :rotfl:It would have been all I could do to not say "are you SERIOUS?" while laughing at her in response to an offer of future pixie dust.

UPDATE

After speaking with two levels of people on the member satisfaction team, I was told the best they could do would be to reinstate 30 points, which equates to 25% of the points for the reservation and get this - PIXIE DUST. Yes, a nebulous offer of pixie dust during my next trip, whatever that means in an attempt to (I quote) "make you forget the bad experience you had". I told her to try again, so she said she will get back to me. We'll see.

The first member satisfaction team member confirmed after I asked him twice and repeated back what I heard him say and had him confirm it again that the order of who gets bumped is
(1) guests of members on points, then
(2) people on cash reservations, then
(3) members

I have a real problem with this and think I will be changing my guest's upcoming reservation to my name! They could offer the moon and it wouldn't make me happy if this policy sticks.

Pixie Dust pixiedust: could be good.

Well... If Maggie calls my house I'm not calling her back!:eek: We've got a 2 bedroom at VWL for Dec. 23-28th and no way are they making me move. The only way I would consider would be a 2 bedroom at another DVC property and a full refund of my points that I booked with 11 months out. We schedule so much of our trip around where we are staying and no way am I moving and trying to change ADR's at this late date.

We have two rooms next week at the VWL. I'm getting a little nervous reading these stories. This is our friends first and maybe only trip to WDW with their whole family. They live on the west coast and go to DL all the time.

Maggie didn't really answer my question on why in the world they would renovate during Christmas. I guess I am just to nice because I didn't really fuss to much. I just told her DH would NOT be happy. (He works out of state and was not home to take the call). The more I think about it the angrier I get. We were so excited to get the call in August that we had gotten our 1 bedroom at the VWL.

For whoever she told that all the DVC are equal....NOT True! They all have their own personality. Hence the different theming. We are outdoorsie and that is why we always stay at the VWL.

Maybe I will stir up DH and have him give them a call and find out the real story.... I am soooo disappointed..:sad2:

This whole mess has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

So, a guest of a member gets bumped before a cash guest?
That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I guess I shouldn't complain, at least they allowing members to stay in their booked villas (well, most of them anyway). Oy.

Well DH gave Maggie a call today to find out about the renovation project and having folks move at VWL. She told him that we DID NOT have to move, they were just giving us the opportunity because of renovation noise during the day. It seems as though the 1 bedroom villa we were to be in was in the area renovations were going to be under way.

If she were to only of told me that yesterday, I would of understood a little better. I am one who DOES get my moneys worth out of the resort and spend alot of time there. I sure don't want to hear a bunch of banging and clanging first thing in the morning. I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THEY ARE DOING THIS DURING CHRISTMAS TIME???

Maggie is going to call DH back tomorrow to find out if we have decided to stay at VWL or go to OKW. We have decided to take the safe path and try OKW this one time. We have stayed at VWL a few times and know that is our favorite, but I guess just once we can bend a little....;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter