• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bumped from VWL upon checkin and given Lodge rooms?

I'm surprised that they know your villa was going to be near the noise. Do they assign villas that far out?

OK, they called me back, upped it to 48 points (equivalent to 2 nights of the stay) and said that's the best they could do. Oh, yeah, and I still get the pixie dust.

I've had enough and am sick of arguing with them.

When I told her how disappointed I was about the pecking order of who gets bumped, she said that there was no pecking order and that anyone could get bumped. She made a note to talk to the person who confirmed it with me several times. So two people (one in MS and one in member satisfaction) told me about the pecking order, but then this member satisfaction supervisor told me there is no pecking order. I told her I was considering putting my guest's reservation for our upcoming trip in my name and she told me I wouldn't be allowed to do that because I can't have two reservations in my name at the same time. I wasn't aware of that rule.

So that's the end of it. I'm disappointed in the way they handled it and especially how I had to go through hard-nosed negotiations to get what I did.

Maggie is going to call DH back tomorrow to find out if we have decided to stay at VWL or go to OKW. We have decided to take the safe path and try OKW this one time. We have stayed at VWL a few times and know that is our favorite, but I guess just once we can bend a little....;)

VWL and OKW are completely different. OKW is old Florida - very laid back (like VWL) - but no grand lobby, only one restuarant - which you have to go outside to get too.

the arcade is smaller (this is only a problem if you have kids) - but there are 2 of them - one near the main pool, other near turtle cay pool.

It is a lot bigger than VWL.

but I do love it!!!

find out what they are willing to do - since this is not something that should be happening.

if you have ADR at WL are they willing to change them to OKW or POR - POFQ which is closer doesn't have a restuarant.

or since they are forcing this move - how about the parks?

the OKW 1-bedroom is definitely bigger than 1-bedroom at VWL. So if it just the two of you - you might enjoy the privacy more.

OK, they called me back, upped it to 48 points (equivalent to 2 nights of the stay) and said that's the best they could do. Oh, yeah, and I still get the pixie dust.

I've had enough and am sick of arguing with them.
Just curious ... what were you asking for? If I missed it earlier in the thread, I'm sorry.

They never did ask me what I was asking for, go figure.
I firmly believe that when you negotiate with a company for compensation that you must know what you want and ask for it. They are not mind readers and most companies will try to low-ball you just to get you to go away cheaply.

I'm glad you stood your ground on the first offer. Two days out of five (plus future pixie dust :wizard:) is not a bad deal.

I firmly believe that when you negotiate with a company for compensation that you must know what you want and ask for it. They are not mind readers and most companies will try to low-ball you just to get you to go away cheaply.

I'm glad you stood your ground on the first offer. Two days out of five (plus future pixie dust :wizard:) is not a bad deal.

I think they assumed that I wanted all the points. I just kept telling them I wasn't happy with the situation.

The first member satisfaction team member confirmed after I asked him twice and repeated back what I heard him say and had him confirm it again that the order of who gets bumped is
(1) guests of members on points, then
(2) people on cash reservations, then
(3) members

I have a real problem with this and think I will be changing my guest's upcoming reservation to my name! They could offer the moon and it wouldn't make me happy if this policy sticks.
They do need an organized pecking order. Personally I'd prefer that cash reservations go first and that priority be given to owners at that resort but the order listed is certainly reasonable when someone has to be moved. But I doubt they'll consistently admit it to you, most timeshares do not. Marriott is the exception that I am aware of, they use the same pecking order for unit assignments usually in this order (multiple unit owners, single unit owners, cash guests, multiple week marriott exchangers, single week Marriott followed by multiple then single week non marriott exchangers.

Well... If Maggie calls my house I'm not calling her back!:eek: We've got a 2 bedroom at VWL for Dec. 23-28th and no way are they making me move. The only way I would consider would be a 2 bedroom at another DVC property and a full refund of my points that I booked with 11 months out. We schedule so much of our trip around where we are staying and no way am I moving and trying to change ADR's at this late date.
As I have read this thread I have had this same thought. We do not have a ressie at VWL right now, but as you have stated, we plan our ADR's around our resort and to have to move so close to arrival and at such a busy time of year would be very upsetting. I was discussing this thread with a friend today who also owns DVC who is staying at VWL for two days in late December. We both were saying that we wondered if everyone put so much thought and planning into their trips as we did. I told her after spending so much time on the DIS, I was sure that many people did and having to change resorts anytime after my ressie is made and my ADR's are set would not be acceptable. Good Luck to everyone! I hope it all works out for you and you have wonderful trips!:santa:

AKL has so many red flags for me now-

They present it as a functioning DVC, yet the plans we received are not built and there are so many "ifs".

I am not sure if my family members would have raised heck-I would have raised hell.

If they can give free meal plans to Sept. guests in their hotel rooms they should have surely given them Free DDP for the inconvenience of not having a kitchen!

RENTER BEWARE!

RENTER BEWARE!
Well ... that's a little dramatic, isn't it? Let's look at the facts:

(1) The reservation was a couple of weeks ago in Adventure Season.
(2) The reservation was for 5 days, Sun - Fri for a 2 bedroom at VWL.
(3) The reservation took 160 vacation points.
(4) At the going rate of $12 per point (that's what *I* get when I rent), the total cost could have been $1920. (this member gave the points away, BTW).
(5) The guest received two rooms in the lodge. At $1920 per night with taxes included that comes out to $171 per room pre-tax.
(6) The rack rate for a Standard View in Value season (October) is $215.

Renter beware! You might save $45 or more per night even if you get bumped! :rotfl:

Now, I don't think they should have been bumped and I agree with you on the dining plan, but I certainly don't agree with any "renter beware" hysteria.

They do need an organized pecking order. Personally I'd prefer that cash reservations go first and that priority be given to owners at that resort but the order listed is certainly reasonable when someone has to be moved. But I doubt they'll consistently admit it to you, most timeshares do not. Marriott is the exception that I am aware of, they use the same pecking order for unit assignments usually in this order (multiple unit owners, single unit owners, cash guests, multiple week marriott exchangers, single week Marriott followed by multiple then single week non marriott exchangers.
Now that I've caught up with the thread...Newfamilyman(I believe) got bumped from their room and it was their first trip home from their home resort they booked day to day at 11 months.

So if they're following this pecking order, there should be no one in the entire WVL DVC who is a guest of anyone else or staying for cash at that time. I find that a little hard to believe.

Or once again, DVC is telling people what they want to hear, and there is inconsistancies in the 'official' line.

lulu71 You can make a ressies in your name and your spouse's name. when making the ressies in your spouse's name, and when MS asks how many people staying in that room give them the names of your guests, except for one of your guest name (that is really not important to be on the room) if you exceed the room capacity, if you do not exceed the room capacity add all guest names on the room with your spouse (spouse holding the ressie) anyone of your guest can check in and get the room and leave their cc on the room,except anyone under the age 18.

I invite family to stay with us in the 2bedroom or grand villa and DBIL always arrives in wdw before us and he checks in, gets the room, Owners Locker, unpacks everything and we arrive to the room not having to do anything. :cloud9:

I'm glad it at least got resolved, but I'm a little surprised at the outcome.

As for the "pecking order". I do think they need to have one, and frankly, I think it should be cash that gets bumped first, followed by guests, followed by members. I suspect the "bumping guests first" thing does come from MS perception that ALL guests are renters. It's not true, but might be the perception.

wdwstar, I like your solution to needing two seperate rooms for yourselves and guests. I'm going to remember that one for the future too, because we might be needing both a 2 bedroom and studio next fall when we have guests with us.

Well ... that's a little dramatic, isn't it? Let's look at the facts:

(1) The reservation was a couple of weeks ago in Adventure Season.
(2) The reservation was for 5 days, Sun - Fri for a 2 bedroom at VWL.
(3) The reservation took 160 vacation points.
(4) At the going rate of $12 per point (that's what *I* get when I rent), the total cost could have been $1920. (this member gave the points away, BTW).
(5) The guest received two rooms in the lodge. At $1920 per night with taxes included that comes out to $171 per room pre-tax.
(6) The rack rate for a Standard View in Value season (October) is $215.

Renter beware! You might save $45 or more per night even if you get bumped! :rotfl:

Now, I don't think they should have been bumped and I agree with you on the dining plan, but I certainly don't agree with any "renter beware" hysteria.

true but you are over simplifying the situation. as many have pointed out 2 rooms are not always better than 1 big room.

no kitchen that alone could blow the $45 bucks to smithereens if they were planning on using it

no washer/know: more inconvienance and possibly now they have to buy a couple t shirts since they were planning on doing wash

what if they have 2 adults and 2 kids, so know the husband and wife have to spend their vacation in separate rooms?

I think the other poster had it right:

RENTER BEWARE and I would take it even further by saying OWNER BEWARE: your friends, family, guests could be put out and you could get some ticked off renters if you didindeed rent the points

I dont know what the heck is going on down there, but these situatios have been happening a but too frequently the last few months it seems

Newfamilyman.....I am glad your situation was resolved. Being that you booked 11 months out and that VWL is your "home" base, I totally feel you should not have been on the "bump list".

I'm with Dean, Diane and others........I feel cash ressies should be bumped first.

And as Muushka said : "Jim Lewis we have a problem" are true words.

I happen to have a member cash reservation at VWL end of the month. I certainly agree that I should be bumped before an owner there. Hands down.

I think for our 2 studios for SSR for next Oct, I will put Me, my mom, DD15 and DD4 on one room, and my DH, DS13, and DS3 on the other. DH is a co-purchaser on my contract, so I would think he would be considered a member for bumping purposes. I ordinarily would not worry about overbooking over there, but with them being studios, and SSR being added for the cruise line....

If they want to bump us to 1 BR's for the same points...I would be okay with that. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter