• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bumped from VWL upon checkin and given Lodge rooms?

lulu71

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I had some guests booked in a one bedroom villa a VWL a couple of weeks ago. When they came back, they told me that they were told that the villas were overbooked, so they were given 2 regular Lodge rooms and $100 credit for their troubles.

This doesn't sit right with me. Wouldn't it make more sense to bump someone on a cash reservation, where there is an equivalency to Lodge rooms so there it can be an apples to apples equitable solution? I understand things happen, but I really don't feel like 2 Lodge rooms and $100 credit was a fair use of my points. And how can a solution be found when there is no point equivalent for regular Lodge rooms?

FWIW, I was also told by MS that guests get bumped before members. OK fine, if there is a pecking order why not cash guests? They had to have known that some people would have to be bumped during the timeframe they were there. Also, were there no cash guests at any resort in a 1BR that could have been bumped? To me, it would make more sense to have moved them to another 1BR unit in any DVC before putting them in regular Lodge rooms.

I would be upset about the loss of a kitchen. We usually cook a lot in our villa and save quite a bit more on food than $100.

I know!! And the jacuzzi, the DVD player, the washer/dryer, all of these amenities are why we love the DVC units! Grrrr....

that would really tick me off,

how many days was it for? I would want more like $100 dollars PER DAY!

I understand things happen, but when they do DVC has to be prepared to deal with it appropriately

if I wanted a lodge room I would not have bought DVC

the loss of dvc room could be much more than $100 depending on length and type of stay

not to mention the lesser accomadations in general

I might be inclined to ask for the points back or a portion thereof, since they were not used for what they should have been used for

Personally the two lodge rooms would be okay for me - if they offered free laundry service. If not - forget it

I definitely do not consider two lodge rooms as equal to a 1 BR. The whole reason we purchased DVC was for the full kitchen and the W/D....plus the extra space of the second lodge room isn't the same as a living room...if some folks want to sleep while others stay up to chat, watch tv, whatever...they have to sit on the beds to do that...or the upright chairs...as opposed to a nice couch with coffee table.

If they had to bump villa guests, the only acceptable substitute would have been to the mini-suites with concierge service, IMO. I would definitely encourage getting on the phone with MS and explaining the situation and politely request a partial refund of points.

I wonder if DVC is trying to really stop rentals....
Could that be the reason....
Just wondering.

If I had a 1 BR villa booked....there is NO WAY that I would settle
for a lodge room or 2.....apples vs oranges.
Kerri

It was a 5 night stay.

ouch $20 bucks a day

no way is that fair compensation

a move like that may not be an issue whatsoever for some parties, but for some it could be a big deal.

$20 bucks would not even cover the difference between eating in or out for 1 breakfast meal

I mean really give the fair compensation, or give em some options. how about vouchers for some free breakfast every day or for a couple nice dinners

how about 1 annual pass voucher if they didnt have tix yet.

how about free passes to the water parks if interested

how about 100 bucks each for DTD

how about free DQ or PI admission

give em some choices, man, make them feel like they are actually getting to decide something

100 bucks, come on!

I wonder if DVC is trying to really stop rentals....
Could that be the reason....
Just wondering.

That thought has crossed my mind. The thing is, wouldn't a renter scream the loudest since they know what they are paying for? My guests took the rooms because (a) they were grateful for us giving them our points and (b) they had never been to Disney before so they really had no clue.

If Disney was trying to guess who was a renter and who was a guest and pegged these people as renters, they got it completely wrong. IMO, it shouldn't be up to them to try to play sleuth.

What was the sleeping arrangements? If children, did the parents have to split rooms? If adults, then some people got real beds as opposed to a pull out. They also then got 2 bathrooms. I'm surprised that they didn't call you as it was happening, so something could possibly be done at the time of the visit.

Bobbi

That thought has crossed my mind. The thing is, wouldn't a renter scream the loudest since they know what they are paying for? My guests took the rooms because (a) they were grateful for us giving them our points and (b) they had never been to Disney before so they really had no clue.

If Disney was trying to guess who was a renter and who was a guest and pegged these people as renters, they got it completely wrong. IMO, it shouldn't be up to them to try to play sleuth.

Your right....I wouldn't want them to guess wrong...

I know me personally....would raise holy hell.
Kerri

What was the sleeping arrangements? If children, did the parents have to split rooms? If adults, then some people got real beds as opposed to a pull out. They also then got 2 bathrooms. I'm surprised that they didn't call you as it was happening, so something could possibly be done at the time of the visit.

Bobbi

It was a middle aged man, his mother and two young nieces.

I agree that they should have called.

I didn't know they over book DVC reservations, I thought they just used a waitlist system.

Seems they should call at least a few days or a week before the guest(s) arrive, to discuss other options to appropriately accommodate the member/guests.
-mary

I didn't know they over book DVC reservations, I thought they just used a waitlist system.

Seems they should call at least a few days or a week before the guest(s) arrive, to discuss other options to appropriately accommodate the member/guests.
-mary

I didn't know that either. The notations in the scomputer ystem that the MS rep read to me said "overbooked" not taken out of commission due to an unforeseen problem, etc. which could have explained why they didn't call me ahead of time. But no, my guests were told overbooked as well as the notes on the reservation.

I didn't know that either. The notations in the scomputer ystem that the MS rep read to me said "overbooked" not taken out of commission due to an unforeseen problem, etc. which could have explained why they didn't call me ahead of time. But no, my guests were told overbooked as well as the notes on the reservation.

I would call MS back and ask for a supervisor. Discuss your feelings and concerns. Try to get a better answer about overbooking then see if they will refund some points. It never hurts to try.

ouch $20 bucks a day

no way is that fair compensation

a move like that may not be an issue whatsoever for some parties, but for some it could be a big deal.

$20 bucks would not even cover the difference between eating in or out for 1 breakfast meal

I mean really give the fair compensation, or give em some options. how about vouchers for some free breakfast every day or for a couple nice dinners

how about 1 annual pass voucher if they didnt have tix yet.

how about free passes to the water parks if interested

how about 100 bucks each for DTD

how about free DQ or PI admission

give em some choices, man, make them feel like they are actually getting to decide something

100 bucks, come on!
I suspect if more compensation was demanded, more would have been given, or maybe the resort would have decided to bump someone else. Given that this was a guest of a member, and if they were happy with the first solution offered, perhaps they didn't think to resist more, and get more in the way of compensation. Of course it's hard to think staight when you are standing there trying to absorb the disappointing news they just gave you.

I would call MS back and ask for a supervisor. Discuss your feelings and concerns. Try to get a better answer about overbooking then see if they will refund some points. It never hurts to try.

I spoke with 2 supervisors already and I got the same answer from both - I have to email member satisfaction. I did that so let's see how long it takes to get a resolution.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter