Appalled at Tram Maintenance

There never used to be an "Older Tram". That's my point.

Disney standards have diminished.

I was once a Disney apologist, but have learned over the years.

The lesser the new generation accepts, the less Disney will deliver.
Disney used to raise the bar and let other parks try to keep up.
Now other parks push the bar up and Disney tries to keep its head above water.

I don't think Disney is having any problem keeping their head above water.

Did you just complain here, or did you actually complain to someone at Disney. Complaining here will do nothing but get an argument from other members, and nothing can possibly change at Disney.

We are driving down to WDW on Thursday and staying offsite so will be using the trams a bit I presume. Will look for the cracks so I can forward the pics on to guest services...though I imagine they are aware of the condition of the fleet and if it was a priority, then they would have been fixed. Perhaps if enough of us bring it to their attention they'll get a move on it!

In other words, exactly what I just did today.

Thank you, and it is appreciated, by some of us.

:smickey:

Last edited:
I think my concern with the statement isn't the "younger people", but more the poor memory of us old folks. I don't think the standards were as high as we tend to "remember". It's more that you notice things differently when you are a kid.

When I went to Disney 30 years ago, I don't remember the cracks. I was too in love with the things around me. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. In fact - they did. We just didn't notice them as kids in Disney.

the standards haven't really dropped that much in the parks. Our perception and the things we look at and notice as adults has.

Disney however is one of the better maintained theme parks in the world. You should see the sorry state of those near me (I.E. Hershey, King's Dominion, Bush Gardens, Six Flags... Even Ceder Park has fallen into heavy disrepair compared to WDW).
Respectfully, I disagree. I truly believe standards have slowly been cut over the years.
Just look at all the things that have disappeared over the years (there's a great thread on that).
Ask an old CM how long the Traditions class was vs today's new CM's.

Hey, I'm 52. My first WDW visit was in 1972 with my parents (obviously).
I remember them trying to find a single light bulb burnt out, or a single crack in the paint. Now I understand things were pretty much brand new in 1972, but I have visited most every year (several times a year) since then. I've stayed on site more times than I can count, and have seen a slow, steady decline over the years on maintenance and cleanliness.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't true with all my heart. It truly saddens me.

MG

No one is talking about throwing a fit. What they are talking about is holding a company that is charging an arm and a leg, to a high standard for the entire package. And that package includes the trams. To me, vehicle and ride maintenance should be top priority. Poor cosmetic quality can also sometimes indicate poor mechanical quality. NOT saying this is the case here, but is that really the image Disney should be projecting?
If it was such a safety issue, then I'd just walk. I have two legs. I'm sorry, I just don't see it as a major problem. I'm not someone who thinks Disney can do bo wrong. I've filed complaints before. But never about a tram. Everyone reacts differently, and that's alright. Just sharing my reaction, since us younger folk were directly called out. No big deal, my friend. Don't wish to argue.

OP-I'm sorry you've experienced that, but I hope your next vacation is better, if you choose to attend :)

I don't think Disney is having any problem keeping their head above water.

Did you just complain here, or did you actually complain to someone at Disney. Complaining here will do nothing but get an argument from other members, and nothing can possibly change at Disney.
By "head above water" I don't mean financially. That may have been poorly worded on my part. I mean they are now leading from behind in many things such as cleanliness and innovation. They used to raise the bar just because they wanted to shine.

No, I did not write to Disney. That, for me, seems like a never ending task seeing as how often we visit (live 20 minutes away).
Part of the never ending task is that I believe if you are going to complain about the bad, you should also point out the exceptional.

MG

If it was such a safety issue, then I'd just walk. I have two legs. I'm sorry, I just don't see it as a major problem. I'm not someone who thinks Disney can do bo wrong. I've filed complaints before. But never about a tram.

OP-I'm sorry you've experienced that, but I hope your next vacation is better, if you choose to attend :)
lol!!! Thanks!
It wasn't a vacation. We live 20 minutes away and my wife and I woke up on a weekend and said "what do you want to do today?" We usually do Epcot, but it's been a long time since we actually rode the rides. So we opted for MK and that's what we did.

MG

lol!!! Thanks!
It wasn't a vacation. We live 20 minutes away and my wife and I woke up on a weekend and said "what do you want to do today?" We usually do Epcot, but it's been a long time since we actually rode the rides. So we opted for MK and that's what we did.

MG
JEALOUS! I'm about 3 hours away, just a shade too far for spontaneous trips

Respectfully, I disagree. I truly believe standards have slowly been cut over the years.
Just look at all the things that have disappeared over the years (there's a great thread on that).
Ask an old CM how long the Traditions class was vs today's new CM's.

Hey, I'm 52. My first WDW visit was in 1972 with my parents (obviously).
I remember them trying to find a single light bulb burnt out, or a single crack in the paint. Now I understand things were pretty much brand new in 1972, but I have visited most every year (several times a year) since then. I've stayed on site more times than I can count, and have seen a slow, steady decline over the years on maintenance and cleanliness.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't true with all my heart. It truly saddens me.

MG
I'm having a hard time here understanding the full argument. Can you explain to me how the "younger generation" is more accepting than a 52 year old who goes nearly every year several times a year and has stayed on site more times than you can count?

It's like my dad who always said "we're not going to Blockbuster because they charge late fees (back when they did)" but then we would end up there 2 weeks later. I'm with others though coming on the boards to advise of the lack of maintainence, bringing in younger people as accepting the changes but you aren't one to voice your thoughts to Disney but you go often. If the standards are really now substandards then let Disney know each and every time in multiple ways (social media, e-mail, snail mail, etc) or....vote with your wallet and decline to go.

I'm having a hard time here understanding the full argument. Can you explain to me how the "younger generation" is more accepting than a 52 year old who goes nearly every year several times a year and has stayed on site more times than you can count?

It's like my dad who always said "we're not going to Blockbuster because they charge late fees (back when they did)" but then we would end up there 2 weeks later. I'm with others though coming on the boards to advise of the lack of maintainence, bringing in younger people as accepting the changes but you aren't one to voice your thoughts to Disney but you go often. If the standards are really now substandards then let Disney know each and every time in multiple ways (social media, e-mail, snail mail, etc) or....vote with your wallet and decline to go.
It's not that the younger generation is more accepting of lower standards per se. As I have tried to clarify several times, it's just that they weren't around to see WDW when they high extremely high standards and impecable maintenance. They just simply weren't around to see it.

My dad grew up during the Great Depression. I can read about it, and he has told me stories.
Do I know how rough it was for him?
Not really.

MG

Agreed. How can you complain that the "younger generation" is accepting of the lowered standards you're perceiving, when by not complaining to Disney about it, and continuing to visit the park, you're an "old geezer" who's accepting that that's the status quo for Disney.

It's not that the younger generation is more accepting of lower standards per se. As I have tried to clarify several times, it's just that they weren't around to see WDW when they high extremely high standards and impecable maintenance. They just simply weren't around to see it.

My dad grew up during the Great Depression. I can read about it, and he has told me stories.
Do I know how rough it was for him?
Not really.

MG
I think you need to look into your own comments. I really really really dislike this phrase but "you're part of the problem". It doesn't have anything to do with the younger generation not being around to see what it was like, it's not about what the new generation accepts. It's about people continuing to visit when 'what it used to be' no longer is and it affects them so much.

I have been 4 times in 28 years (pre-1994 but after 1988, 1999,2004,2011) which will end up being 5 times in 29 years (adding 2017). You however have been more times in probably 1 or 2 maybe 3 years than I have been in my whole entire 28 years of my life and you're 52 while I'm 28. Again I just don't understand your argument. ETA: I would also like to say that I myself wouldn't hesitate to go onto social media (using correctly here not to call for someone's head), I would be e-mailing, calling and snail mailing them to express my displeasure. I don't want to go down without a fight so to speak if something bothers me that much.

WDW can't alone be financially profitable the way Disney would want them to be if only first-time visitors came and there was no repeat visitors. If all the repeat visitors banded together and said "we're not going until x,y,z" Disney would have to rethink their current strategy. However, repeat visitors are well continuing to be repeat visitors.

People need to learn to name and shame on social media. Take a picture, tag it with the location and disney's official twitter and post away. Maybe throw a hashtag or two in there. That's how us "younger generations" do it. That'll get the issue more attention that this echo chamber.

You're probably right about this. I doubt anyone at Disney cares one bit about anything that's said on the disboards.

No, you posted pictures on this thread. Not the same thing at all.

But I would have sent them (beyond belief ceiling crack pics) to Disney, as well of posting them on here, just nothing to send.

But a good point, do NOT say if your tram does not have a cracked beyond belief ceiling on here, and certainly do not take a picture showing that on here.

Good advice.

Last edited:
I think you need to look into your own comments. I really really really dislike this phrase but "you're part of the problem". It doesn't have anything to do with the younger generation not being around to see what it was like, it's not about what the new generation accepts. It's about people continuing to visit when 'what it used to be' no longer is and it affects them so much.

I have been 4 times in 28 years (pre-1994 but after 1988, 1999,2004,2011) which will end up being 5 times in 29 years (adding 2017). You however have been more times in probably 1 or 2 maybe 3 years than I have been in my whole entire 28 years of my life and you're 52 while I'm 28. Again I just don't understand your argument. ETA: I would also like to say that I myself wouldn't hesitate to go onto social media (using correctly here not to call for someone's head), I would be e-mailing, calling and snail mailing them to express my displeasure. I don't want to go down without a fight so to speak if something bothers me that much.

WDW can't alone be financially profitable the way Disney would want them to be if only first-time visitors came and there was no repeat visitors. If all the repeat visitors banded together and said "we're not going until x,y,z" Disney would have to rethink their current strategy. However, repeat visitors are well continuing to be repeat visitors.
I strongly disagree with every point in your post.

Whatever. We will just agree to disagree.

MG

If it was such a safety issue, then I'd just walk. I have two legs. I'm sorry, I just don't see it as a major problem. I'm not someone who thinks Disney can do bo wrong. I've filed complaints before. But never about a tram. Everyone reacts differently, and that's alright. Just sharing my reaction, since us younger folk were directly called out. No big deal, my friend. Don't wish to argue.

Can you please tell me where I said it was a major problem?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter