Appalled at Tram Maintenance

So at the end of the day... it's another classic debate with Everything is Rainbows and Unicorns fans on the left and the cynical Disney is a Money Glommering Entity Who Could Care Less About Us on the right. And a few fence sitters :)

I agree with the others who say that if you see something that is sub-par, then take a picture and send it to Disney. Complaining here accomplishes nothing.

By "head above water" I don't mean financially. That may have been poorly worded on my part. I mean they are now leading from behind in many things such as cleanliness and innovation. They used to raise the bar just because they wanted to shine.

No, I did not write to Disney. That, for me, seems like a never ending task seeing as how often we visit (live 20 minutes away).
Part of the never ending task is that I believe if you are going to complain about the bad, you should also point out the exceptional.

MG
So you are in fact compliant with it as you accused the younger people to be.

I think my concern with the statement isn't the "younger people", but more the poor memory of us old folks. I don't think the standards were as high as we tend to "remember". It's more that you notice things differently when you are a kid.

When I went to Disney 30 years ago, I don't remember the cracks. I was too in love with the things around me. That doesn't mean they didn't exist. In fact - they did. We just didn't notice them as kids in Disney.

the standards haven't really dropped that much in the parks. Our perception and the things we look at and notice as adults has.

Disney however is one of the better maintained theme parks in the world. You should see the sorry state of those near me (I.E. Hershey, King's Dominion, Bush Gardens, Six Flags... Even Ceder Park has fallen into heavy disrepair compared to WDW).
I agree, went to WDW for the first time over 40 years ago, same with Hershey park, and the older I get, the more negative things I observe. I'm sure everything wasn't perfect in the past.

You really can't compare WDW to those other parks. I just bought my kids an annual gold pass to 6 flags, which includes parking, early admission, free friend's day, etc., $69 each.

Respectfully, I disagree. I truly believe standards have slowly been cut over the years.
Just look at all the things that have disappeared over the years (there's a great thread on that).
Ask an old CM how long the Traditions class was vs today's new CM's.

Hey, I'm 52. My first WDW visit was in 1972 with my parents (obviously).
I remember them trying to find a single light bulb burnt out, or a single crack in the paint. Now I understand things were pretty much brand new in 1972, but I have visited most every year (several times a year) since then. I've stayed on site more times than I can count, and have seen a slow, steady decline over the years on maintenance and cleanliness.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it wasn't true with all my heart. It truly saddens me.

MG

So you have a long list of people who are going to agree to disagree. :-)

I recently took a cruise on DCL. I would be interested to see how you think they rate. My opinion - when the ship pulled into dock, the crew was immediately off hosing the outside of seawater. I caught DCL crew members sneaking across the deck like a bunch of rats with a new railing to replace one that was "a little worn". DCL dry-docks it's ships for overhauls 3 times more often then other cruise lines. Compared to other ships, they are meticulous on maintenance. yet they are not perfect.

The parks are the same way. I too go just about every year in the last 10 years. Before that, I went far less often. Before that, I was a child and went when my parents took me - every few years at the most. Yet I remember when I was 14 and my dad took me to the Polynesian - just the 2 of us. the room lock didn't open - took us forever to get into the room. There were pay phones in the lobby which I used to call my (new and first) girlfriend every night. 2 of them didn't work. (They no longer exist). I do not remember the parks as well - because again I was "wide eyed". However, I can GUARANTEE you things were not perfect.

If I compare Disney in the past 10 years that I have been going every year, I don't see a big difference. Some of the value resorts I stayed in I would rate barely above a best western - even in cleanliness. That hasn't changed. the amount of rides that are down, or the peaking paint isn't seriously degraded over the past 10 years. It always been that way.

You are just more picky than you were. Nothing wrong with it. I am too.

I still think that pound for pound, WDW does a better job than other parks.

You really can't compare WDW to those other parks. I just bought my kids an annual gold pass to 6 flags, which includes parking, early admission, free friend's day, etc., $69 each.

I used to do that every year. Would bring my 4 year old son there every sunday to keep him busy before I took him to his mothers.

The pool paint peeled off. the water was gross. Stage show was so dusty, Tweety slipped and fell, Worse, riding the old cars around the loop, my son almost got crushed between two of them because the ride operator was off flirting with a high school girl.

That's what I call low standards.

This is just one example of how the younger generation accepts substandards. This would NEVER have been tolerated in the earlier years. Those trams would have been pristine.

MG

People try to put us down
Just because we get around
Things they do look awful cold
I hope I die before I get old

So you have a long list of people who are going to agree to disagree. :-)

I still think that pound for pound, WDW does a better job than other parks.

I've never been to a 6 Flags, so I can't compare. I wrote earlier this summer of our comparison between Disney and two New Hampshire theme parks. I was really worried going, as I was afraid that after experiencing Disney, we were all going to be disappointed.

As far as the rides themselves, pretty much whatever is available in MK for rides is available at these two theme parks, including a Kali knock off. Is the themeing as elaborate? No. But at the end of the day, for the kids - a ride is a ride. They enjoyed the rides every bit as much there, as Disney, and probably more so because they didn't have to stand in line for 20, 30, 60 minutes to ride it (or need to stay up till midnight to book a FP+ lol). Many times they could ride, get off, and immediately get back in line and be riding again only 5-10 minutes later during the peak afternoon hours.

At Santa's Village I did definitely notice some wear and tear on the original rides - cobwebs, scraped/fading paint, and one of their rides inside was really noticeably lacking, it needed some oomph to distract from the mechanics of the ride etc... however the newer additions were better, and the water park there is excellent, and worth the price of admission (which a tiny fraction of Disney's) on it's own. And hey, the kids had a blast. And the park was absolutely immaculate as far as garbage etc... and it's a very beautiful park - basically a forest setting, mountain views, beautiful landscaping etc...

For Storyland, we found it to be kept up better, and the themeing was done better, especially on the rides and they were definitely kept up better, even in the older areas. It had "lands" similar to the way MK does, and we easily could have spent two days there. What we really noticed here were the costumes on the characters were lacking for sure - cheap, dirty in places etc... This park was also extremely well kept and immaculate.

So, dollar for dollar, as far as rides, honestly, it left us feeling WDW isn't really worth it money-wise for just the rides. We all enjoyed the rides just as much as, if not more so, at these two smaller parks. And given the smaller size, the reduced crowds, it's far more relaxing and less stressful.

BUT...

For the kids, what they did really miss were the shows and more than anything - all the characters. Honestly, meeting all the characters was the highlight of their trip, and they did really miss that at these parks. And that is something that I think no other place offers like Disney does. In Storyland especially, they really noticed the lack of characters (they do have a few, and the kids met Cinderella but it was nothing compared to WDW and see my note about the costumes, the experience was nothing like Disney).

For me personally, where Disney wins is the detail they give to things, especially the decor around the parks - walking around Magic Carpets and seeing gems embedded in the walkway. All the intricacies of Animal Kingdom. And I really like how some of the rides really tell a story, as an adult, to me, that really adds to the ride. It just really seems to bring the whole experience together.

So all this to say, lol, I agree, but not because of the rides, because of the detail they give to everything. It's the overall experience - the shows, the fireworks, the parade, the characters, the details in the decor and rides that makes it worth the money. But, I will admit, that if they keep slacking off on all these details which are the only thing that really set them apart from other places (because the rides themselves don't), all the while continuing to raise prices, reduce services etc... then there will most definitely come a time where it is no longer worth it financially for us. And honestly, probably not too far off. And I'm thinking that's where many already are, or are also nearing.

And while I know many have come down hard on OP for various reasons, overall, I think we mostly can agree that, there is a general decline happening, especially on things like the trams, the monorail, upkeep of the hotels etc... So, while a post complaining about the trams may seem silly and nit picky, I'm thinking it's just the straw on the camel's back for some, perhaps? It's just one more item on a growing list...

Lol!!! You guys are making this up as we go. Where did I ever "blame" younger people???

I'm just saying they're not old enough to remember, and appreciate, the standards Disney one had.

MG

Not disagreeing just that the decisions being made (such as the $650 tent) is not the younger generation, unless you mean the powers to be at Disney. The Iger's of the world and other executives are the ones that have decimated the standards Disney once had. Like most of corporate America cutback of hours, budgets etc reduces the time or the approval for ee's to go the extra step. You are correct they are not old enough to remember, but if no one at the top thinks its important, no one will show or teach them.

Not disagreeing just that the decisions being made (such as the $650 tent) is not the younger generation, unless you mean the powers to be at Disney. The Iger's of the world and other executives are the ones that have decimated the standards Disney once had. Like most of corporate America cutback of hours, budgets etc reduces the time or the approval for ee's to go the extra step. You are correct they are not old enough to remember, but if no one at the top thinks its important, no one will show or teach them.
I completely agree with your post.

MG

The Iger's of the world and other executives are the ones that have decimated the standards Disney once had

Exactly correct. From significantly higher prices and lower quality of food options (thanks to whomever prepared that lovely $28 frozen TV dinner at Tonys. Lesson learned there...), to building more and more resorts and timeshares without adequate attractions to service that many customers, to replacing the main street bakery with Starbucks (insanity), to closing down half of DHS but continuing to collect the same amount for admission, to removing mug handles to save 4 cents a mug (even though they raised the price yet another dollar), to taking 2 years to build a parking garage... there's a big difference since this regime took over. The trams are just yet another symptom. Hopefully Comcast's huge investment in Universal will get Disney moving again in the right direction. That fact that six flags even comes into the conversation at all is noteworthy in and of itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter