• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appalled at Tram Maintenance

Whatever.

I'm at a loss for words. It's unbelievable how people are clarvoyant.

Folks it's this simple.... young people accept it because they never saw how strict Disney standards once were.

MG

But why young people when all generations go to Disney World from all over the world? And what would "young people" do to change these standards that you think are gone?

I think Disney's standards are among the best when it comes to theme parks. Maybe you just happened to get on an older tram? The times we use the trams I really don't find anything to complain about with them..maybe a few cracks here and there but I don't expect outdoor open vehicles exposed to this Florida weather that are carrying thousands every day for 365 days a year to be in upmost pristine condition at all times. But if there is an issue, it would fall on the desk of the higher ups which I don't think would fall in the younger generation category.

But why young people when all generations go to Disney World from all over the world? And what would "young people" do to change these standards that you think are gone?

I think Disney's standards are among the best when it comes to theme parks. Maybe you just happened to get on an older tram? The times we use the trams I really don't find anything to complain about with them..maybe a few cracks here and there but I don't expect outdoor open vehicles exposed to this Florida weather that are carrying thousands every day for 365 days a year to be in upmost pristine condition at all times. But if there is an issue, it would fall on the desk of the higher ups which I don't think would fall in the younger generation category.
There never used to be an "Older Tram". That's my point.

Disney standards have diminished.

I was once a Disney apologist, but have learned over the years.

The lesser the new generation accepts, the less Disney will deliver.
Disney used to raise the bar and let other parks try to keep up.
Now other parks push the bar up and Disney tries to keep its head above water.

I get your point, but there are plenty of us here old enough to remember, and complain--but that doesn't do any good. Nothing will do any good other than voting with our wallets. :)

(For my part right now I'm only on DIS because I have a Universal trip coming up. WDW costs way too much money for way too many crowds now. And for some reason when I think of my last WDW trip (2015) all I remember is the same dirty room service trays sitting outside doors in AKL halls for days on end. So I'm with you in spirit.)

I can't believe you mentioned the "trays", lol. That was my thought Exactly when we had to literally maneuver through them... and the food trays on the floor Outside the rooms ... some days, hours on end...and this is Deluxe resort treatment. That shouldn't be happening at a value Imho.

I said it before and I'll say it again...
Only Disney gets away with charging
Deluxe Prices for mediocrity.
If you look at true Deluxe resorts/hotels around this country or travel abroad... there is no comparison.
... i think it would change if more people spoke up while on site, wrote to corporate and/or blogged more, ultimately expected more for their hard earned money..

This is just one example of how the younger generation accepts substandards. This would NEVER have been tolerated in the earlier years. Those trams would have been pristine.

MG
Hey there. I'm 22 years old. It's not that I accept substandard quality, it's just that I wouldn't throw a fit over riding in an older tram. I just wanna get in the park so I can enjoy my day.

So this thought came to me today:

Are things really being maintained to a lesser standard today than say 10, 20 years ago? Or are we just more aware of it thanks to groups like this and Media? I think sometimes that places like this make you aware of flaws that you may not otherwise of noticed, because you read about it, so you look for it.

Hey there. I'm 22 years old. It's not that I accept substandard quality, it's just that I wouldn't throw a fit over riding in an older tram. I just wanna get in the park so I can enjoy my day.

No one is talking about throwing a fit. What they are talking about is holding a company that is charging an arm and a leg, to a high standard for the entire package. And that package includes the trams. To me, vehicle and ride maintenance should be top priority. Poor cosmetic quality can also sometimes indicate poor mechanical quality. NOT saying this is the case here, but is that really the image Disney should be projecting?

So this thought came to me today:

Are things really being maintained to a lesser standard today than say 10, 20 years ago? Or are we just more aware of it thanks to groups like this and Media? I think sometimes that places like this make you aware of flaws that you may not otherwise of noticed, because you read about it, so you look for it.
Personally, it doesn't take a website to point out lack of maintenance at WDW. Entering a dirty bathroom, searching for a clean table at a quick service, or seeing peeling paint is enough to convince me that there is neglect.

But this is true for any business I visit. If things start getting neglected it's noticed and I stop going, same with WDW.

I can't believe you mentioned the "trays", lol. That was my thought Exactly when we had to literally maneuver through them... and the food trays on the floor Outside the rooms ... some days, hours on end...and this is Deluxe resort treatment. That shouldn't be happening at a value Imho.

I said it before and I'll say it again...
Only Disney gets away with charging
Deluxe Prices for mediocrity.
If you look at true Deluxe resorts/hotels around this country or travel abroad... there is no comparison.
... i think it would change if more people spoke up while on site, wrote to corporate and/or blogged more, ultimately expected more for their hard earned money..

There was this one particular tray near our room with a melted dish of ice cream that became a familiar landmark on our long, long walk back to our room each time--for a whole weekend. And this was supposed to be "club level", har.

Whatever.

I'm at a loss for words. It's unbelievable how people are clarvoyant.

Folks it's this simple.... young people accept it because they never saw how strict Disney standards once were.

MG

LOL, I quoted what you said. Keep on spinning...............................

Rode the MK tram today for the first time in years. Regardless of parks we usually just hoof it. Today we opted for the tram.
Walt would have rolled in his grave. The ceiling was beat and cracked beyond belief. The general condition was an absolute joke.

This is just one example of how the younger generation accepts substandards. This would NEVER have been tolerated in the earlier years. Those trams would have been pristine.

I was embarrassed.

MG
Posting here doesn't do much good and only causes debate. People need to start writing to guest services or sending a letter to corporate with feedback....good or bad.

There never used to be an "Older Tram". That's my point.

Disney standards have diminished.

I was once a Disney apologist, but have learned over the years.

The lesser the new generation accepts, the less Disney will deliver.
Disney used to raise the bar and let other parks try to keep up.
Now other parks push the bar up and Disney tries to keep its head above water.
You again are blaming the new generation for accepting the conditions. You're being in the parks at all also signifies your acceptance. Also maybe the early days you are thinking of were so pristine because things were brand new. Newer is usually better condition. Many generations travel to Disney every year. All the people who go accept the way things are so maybe instead of blaming one specific age group you could instead use a more inclusive adjective and people wouldn't think you were blaming the younger people.

Trust me, OP, there are plenty of middle aged and older people on this very forum who not only accept the lower standards at Disney these days, they berate anyone here who dares to point it out.

Your beef is not with the "younger generation", it's with the current crop of Disney visitors.

I get your point, but there are plenty of us here old enough to remember, and complain--but that doesn't do any good. Nothing will do any good other than voting with our wallets. :)

(For my part right now I'm only on DIS because I have a Universal trip coming up. WDW costs way too much money for way too many crowds now. And for some reason when I think of my last WDW trip (2015) all I remember is the same dirty room service trays sitting outside doors in AKL halls for days on end. So I'm with you in spirit.)

I have not been back to WDW since they started FP+. However, I have been to DLR many times since then and have not seen any lack of care. Is this me looking through rose colored glasses or is the DLR at a higher standard of care?

I have not been back to WDW since they started FP+. However, I have been to DLR many times since then and have not seen any lack of care. Is this me looking through rose colored glasses or is the DLR at a higher standard of care?
I think they have a higher standard of care than at WDW. It seems that WDW is geared toward the 1 and done crew. Whereas, DLR wants to please their returning visitors.

It's so odd to me to blame something like tram maintenance on younger generations. I understand that in your opinion you are saying things are not as well maintained as they were. At the end of the day, weren't you on the tram and visiting Disney along with all those complicit "younger" people? So bizarre.

I am not a Disney apologist at all and I am happy to acknowledge that things could be done better. If you want to play the blame game then how about tram riders of all ages point the finger at Disney? I don't think it's a generational thing... people of all ages continue to visit Disney and pour money into the system. I agree with an above poster: starting a decisive debate on Disboards doesn't count as activism.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter