• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Abandoned Attractions

I've always wondered about the Poly wave machine....curious to see pictures, although I've heard you can see it from satellite photos Also, did Disney ever use the islands for anything else, because it looks like there are buildings on most if not every one. Curious....

I haven't seen anything in the satellite images I can identify as the remains of the wave machine, other than a small shack on the island.

I think I've heard/seen that there are firework launch sites on a couple of them that have been used in the past for some special firework shows. (such as the "360" MK shows).

I'd also expect there to maybe be some power sheds on a few since most of the islands have navigation lights surrounding them and it would be logical to have a central location to help control/maintain the system.

beyond that....which is mostly conjecture, I honestly don't know.
:confused3

On the most central island, in the middle, is a small clearing which at least over the past 10 years has had some sort of large box-like objects on them, and they move around. I haven't found out what they are supposedly for - I wondered if it was some sort of wildlife/gardening thing. I suppose these could be fireworks containers as well, although I've not heard of fireworks launching from that location. One strike against that idea is there is no dock, which I would think is needed to make daily swapouts of lots of fireworks...

On the most central island, in the middle, is a small clearing which at least over the past 10 years has had some sort of large box-like objects on them, and they move around. I haven't found out what they are supposedly for - I wondered if it was some sort of wildlife/gardening thing. I suppose these could be fireworks containers as well, although I've not heard of fireworks launching from that location. One strike against that idea is there is no dock, which I would think is needed to make daily swapouts of lots of fireworks...

Since they don't launch from the lagoon that often, I'm not sure if a regular dock would be needed. it wouldn't be too hard to bring a shallow water boat that could be run up onto the beach loaded with a box or 2 of shells for the rare occasion they used the launch site.

Considering for safety reasons they'd have to stop most/all boat traffic, including wishes cruises, I'm not even sure if they really do many "360" shows these days. they'd want to have a safety zone for misfires/etc which would limit the wishes cruises from tieing up where they normally would. I think for this reason, as well as costs, that the "180" shows have become more popular for the special firework performances.

Does anyone remember the Barbie Birthday Party stage show at Epcot? I had the video- Barbie Birthday Party at Walt Disney Epcot '94 on VHS when I was 8 or so, and there was a preview of the show. This was before I had ever been to Disney, and I was absolutely hooked on watching it. That video was the only thing I knew of Disney, and I just knew I had to get there somehow. I'm sure the show was really cheesy in actuality, but that video was what started my love of The World, even though I wouldn't get my first trip for another 9 years!

Does anyone remember the Barbie Birthday Party stage show at Epcot? I had the video- Barbie Birthday Party at Walt Disney Epcot '94 on VHS when I was 8 or so, and there was a preview of the show. This was before I had ever been to Disney, and I was absolutely hooked on watching it. That video was the only thing I knew of Disney, and I just knew I had to get there somehow. I'm sure the show was really cheesy in actuality, but that video was what started my love of The World, even though I wouldn't get my first trip for another 9 years!

I remember over hearing it, but never actually saw it. I remember meeting Barbie and Ken. My family and I went to go see the show and we couldn't get in because it was so full :D.

I haven't seen anything in the satellite images I can identify as the remains of the wave machine, other than a small shack on the island.

On the most central island, in the middle, is a small clearing which at least over the past 10 years has had some sort of large box-like objects on them, and they move around.

Looks like Disney's taking advantage of that nuclear power plant they have :rotfl:;)

When I was a kid I went to Epcot around 1988 and did something that was like a tour of the technology at Epcot. You wound up in a theater where they pulled back curtains and there were just rows and rows of computers. I have done everything I can to try and find information on this tour/attraction, but I always come up empty. I hope someone on this thread can help shed some light on it for me.

When I was a kid I went to Epcot around 1988 and did something that was like a tour of the technology at Epcot. You wound up in a theater where they pulled back curtains and there were just rows and rows of computers. I have done everything I can to try and find information on this tour/attraction, but I always come up empty. I hope someone on this thread can help shed some light on it for me.

Hmm...I never got to see it when it was still CommuniCore (which is what was there before Innoventions took over in 1994), but wasn't there a part of CommuniCore itself that showed a computer room? Not necessarily part of a tour but just part of the exhibits.

COMMUNICORE FTW!

That was it. I remember there was a shrunken lady who was projected on the screen and narrated the entire exhibit.

Hmm...I never got to see it when it was still CommuniCore (which is what was there before Innoventions took over in 1994), but wasn't there a part of CommuniCore itself that showed a computer room? Not necessarily part of a tour but just part of the exhibits.

I remember there was a shrunken lady who was projected on the screen and narrated the entire exhibit.
That's the part I remember! I knew I wasn't entirely crazy and there was something with a tiny lady somewhere in EPCOT.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I figured it must have been Communicore, but glad to see someone else remembered that part too.

That's the part I remember! I knew I wasn't entirely crazy and there was something with a tiny lady somewhere in EPCOT.:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: I figured it must have been Communicore, but glad to see someone else remembered that part too.

Ya know.... I've actually found myself wondering if the balcony where the show was is still physically there after the Innoventions remodel. Considering Disney has a history of just walling off old show elements no longer needed (Such as the stage from Food Rocks/Kitchen Kaberet, the old Western River Expedition preview center, or even the 2nd floor of the imagination pavilion), and there isn't anything requiring public access to the 2nd floor of the Innovention building, I don't see any reason why they would've had to completely remove that balcony.

Then again, I doubt the Computer room you looked down on looks anything near the same. 2 or 3 racks of modern computers could EASILY surpass the entire computing power of the entire room of old Mainframe equipment....

After the Monster Sound Show you were let into this room to explore. In the room they had these booths were you put on headphones. The booth would get dark and you would experience a 3D sound show. All I remember is you were a Disney executive and you would get a haircut. Just from the sound alone it actually felt like you were getting your hair cut. Is this still there? I thought this was just the neatest thing!

I have a great memory of Mission to Mars. It took place in a large circular room. We were putting on our seat belts and a lady sitting next to my dad asked what this ride did. My dad told her it spun around at 80 mph. The lady got a panicked look and tried to flag a CM to let her off the ride. So funny cause the ride really did nothing.

After the Monster Sound Show you were let into this room to explore. In the room they had these booths were you put on headphones. The booth would get dark and you would experience a 3D sound show. All I remember is you were a Disney executive and you would get a haircut. Just from the sound alone it actually felt like you were getting your hair cut. Is this still there? I thought this was just the neatest thing!

From what you are describing it sounds a bit like the current Sounds Dangerous film which replaced Monster Sound Show, but I don't think you are a "Disney executive" in it. I don't recall going to another room with more headphones, but I've only gone through Sounds Dangerous once.

1- From what you are describing it sounds a bit like the current Sounds Dangerous film which replaced Monster Sound Show, but I don't think you are a "Disney executive" in it.

2- I don't recall going to another room with more headphones, but I've only gone through Sounds Dangerous once.

1- Nope. But, they DO offer a haircut sequence in the current SD show.
The current SD show is an offshoot of the the binaural experiences that they
offer(ed) in that "sound lab" room.

2- Yes, there was a visit to the second room and "sound lab" after both incarnations of the show.
(I say "was" as the Sounds Dangerous attraction now appears to be a gonner.)

2- Yes, there was a visit to the second room and "sound lab" after both incarnations of the show.
(I say "was" as the Sounds Dangerous attraction now appears to be a gonner.)

Then I'm glad I found it open when I was there this past February. I figured it might be my last chance, seems I was right! Guess they have to make room for another 'tween star attraction.

COMMUNICORE FTW!

That was it. I remember there was a shrunken lady who was projected on the screen and narrated the entire exhibit.

Computer Central :3 Thats where they sang "The Computer Song". I'll never forget it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter