Abandoned Attractions

Upstairs in the Imagination Pavilion, 1997

Untitled-149-L.jpg

How about the upstairs of the imagination building? Has anyone been there lately?

Here's a video from last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAnag-RNAAI&feature=plcp

And River Country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4JwgmPEIDQ&feature=plcp

And not an attraction or abandoned, but cool nonetheless...The World's Largest Hidden Mickey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQNly2pGL9w&feature=plcp

*Note: Some of the videos may contain a naughty word in the intro, so watch the speaker volume.

What ever happened to the boat ride at AK?

They got rid of it after about a year. It was kinda pointless, really. It went around in a loop with only the one stop, and there wasn't much to look at. There was some thought to it being a way to travel between areas, but it was slower than walking.

I remember when they changed it to the Radio Disney version, I was about 11 at the time and thought it was cool... >.<

I know Image Works is still there why don't they reopen it?

I remember when they changed it to the Radio Disney version, I was about 11 at the time and thought it was cool... >.<

I know Image Works is still there why don't they reopen it?

You mean the upstairs area? Well, they'd probably have to put something there...I believe it's mostly storage right now. And the it would cost to maintain it.

You mean the upstairs area? Well, they'd probably have to put something there...I believe it's mostly storage right now. And the it would cost to maintain it.

check this out (I can't post links yet)

youtube search: sneaking into image works

check this out (I can't post links yet)

youtube search: sneaking into image works

Yup...seen it. A lot of the space is still there, although it is unknown if it is functional. There is some storage up there too I'm pretty sure. Some sections have been used for temporary stuff - the Kim Possible stuff started there during testing.

It would still cost to open and maintain it, for an already severely under-utilized pavilion.

I remember seeing this on the Mike Douglas show I guess some time in the early 70's when the park first opened.

I could have sworn I saw Goofy Surfing or at least someone surfing on the waves. Maybe it was just Water Skiing Goofy. :confused3

I have been thinking about Water Skiing Goofy this whole thread! I know he isn't an attraction, but I remember him so well! Every time we go back I hope to see him.

Anyone have an idea around what year this was? In the 90's I'm sure.

This thread reminded me so much of my childhood. I remember going through my mom's things from when I was a kid, and finding my first pass to Disney. I was three or four, with my cute, straight out of the 80's haircut and shirt, pictured on the front. I hate that I can't get a hard copy of my pass anymore ... it's silly, honestly. Of course, she was way excited to go through my grandparents things and find etickets.

I think it's interesting how this thread was able to bridge so many different eras in Disney. Makes me a little sad to look back at some of it, but pretty excited to see what's in store for the future.

I saw Goofy water skiing on my first visit (I think) in the late 70's. We were taking the ferry to the MK, and he was skiing in the area just to the right of where the ferry docked at the Ticket and Transportation Center.

Beth

:thumbsup2I think its SOOOOO fricken cool to look back at the first few pages of this, seeing the potential "pop century" ...

Looking at people saying the stopped production of it due to the economy, that they might start it up again when things recovered ....

Sure enough, we now have AoA ... AWESOME to go through this ...

Great thread in all ...

:thumbsup2I think its SOOOOO fricken cool to look back at the first few pages of this, seeing the potential "pop century" ...

Looking at people saying the stopped production of it due to the economy, that they might start it up again when things recovered ....

Sure enough, we now have AoA ... AWESOME to go through this ...

Great thread in all ...

I totally agree! I feel like I learned a lot reading this.

I loved reading this tread! I've only been to WDW twice (sad) and this last time I kept looking for that fun biology pavilion but couldn't find it!! Now I've learned it was the Wonders of Life pavilion and it's closed. Too bad!

Was reading it for 3 days now. Thats actually good timimng to finish it I think. But when I started reading it I dragged out some of my photos from my fist Disney Trip, which was my Honeymoon in Oct of 1989. I read a few posts ago that WoL opened Oct 19th 1989, and I think that is true because I was married Oct 21st of 1989 and we were there on My Birthday which was Oct 22nd 1989 and it was fresh and New and I could tell that it was just opened. Although nobody had told me that it was days new.

I just wanted to post quickly and congratulate myself for finishing this thread, I am actually at work. BUT When I get home I am gonna continue scanning those pics that I drug out (started scanning 2 days ago) and I am gonna get them up very soon and add them to this thread. What I have is Alot of pics of The Disney Inn. That is where we stayed on our Honeymoon. (look at my signature) and I have alot of Pics of Discovery Island. We visited it on our trip there. Unfortunately most of the pics of Discovery Island are of the actual wildlife. Not alot of pics of the buildings, I do have 1 pic of the boat shuttle over there from Ft Wilderness. I also have alot of pics of Horizons, WoL, Living Seas, etc. Basically everything that was around back then.
Speaking of the Flamingos at Epcot, there was an entire Flamingo Living station on Discovery Island. Something about a special Flamingo that is native to the area, Idk My memory is not 100% from back then. Got a few pics of the Golf course on the Disney Inn 1 of them anyway. and I got A photo of a Gator in one of the waterholes on the golf course. You can only see his head and eyes sticking out of the water and the quality is not that great(it was getting dusk at the time) but I guarentee you it was an Aligator, or croc, whatever!! I have pics of our trip to the Kennedy Space center too. I know nothing to do with this thread but I found it pretty cool when we were there, and I have brought my kids to Disney several times and we never have been back to the space center...SAD!! Ok well just checking in and keep coming back because I will be posting those pics if anybody is still interested. Looks as though the popularity of this thread had Died off Bump it back if you want to see the pics.
Thanks for all the info people!!! pretty funny stuff too!!!

I still miss the sky line from fantasy land to tomorrow land. You could get some great pictures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter