Abandoned Attractions

shafke

Morituri Nolumus Mori
I was reading another thread and it got me thinking about attractions that have been abandoned at Disney. These are attractions that are closed but still standing.

These are the ones I can think of.

Discovery Island
River Country
I would include Wonders of Life and the Odyssey Restaurant in this category as these are no longer being used for their intended purposes and would probably need a lot of work to get them back in shape for regular guest usage.

What other attractions are just being neglected and rotting away?

The one in my signature. :mad:

Wonders of Life and Odyssey are kept up and are used for special events. They are not rotting.

Not an "attraction" per se, but "abandoned and rotting" nonetheless.

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 3 Bird'sEye - Only Unfinished area
POP_03-BeN-WS.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 4 Bird'sEye Both Room Bldgs -North
POP_04-BeN-CU.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 5 Bird'sEye Both Room Bldgs -East
POP_05-BeE-CU.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 6 Bird'sEye Clubhouse/Lobby Bldgs
POP_06-BeW-CU.jpg

I stayed at POP last Nov. Went all the way across the bridge to the fence. The land is all grown up and wild, and there are parts of the "semi-completed" buildings that are falling apart. I'm still amazed they abandoned it but Disney knows the situation better than me!

Ah, but is Pop an 'attraction'?

At one point there was a picture of the old Ecpot Wand lying in a trash heap. I imagine lots of other stuff is too.

Some of the old stuff gets sold at auction. Look up Mousesurplus. You too could be the proud owner of an old IaSW fastpass sign...then you could let it rot or take care of it as you will! How about that?

Lots of minor tweaks get made all the time at WDW, carepts get replaced, bedding, signs, posts, lights.....

Up until recently the old Skyway buildings were left standing, but just recently WDW has done some remodeling.

What about the Stitch stage in Tomorrowland - or is that where they are putting the new holiday show?

Does the Animation Studio count? The Backlot tour? (I haven't been in a while, but I understand it's a shadow of it's former self. What about the Drew Carey Sounds Dangerous? Is Narnia still open?

Not sure what's being done with the Pocohontas and Friends stage.

What other attractions are just being neglected and rotting away?

Swan Boats Landing just off the hub in MK. And as for Skyway, the one in Fantasyland is still there. At least from the outside, though, I wouldn't categorize either as "rotting away", only abandoned. ;)

Some of the building at unfinished Pop resort look as though they have been taken down. Is this what it looks like to you Robo?

Some of the building at unfinished Pop resort look as though they have been taken down. Is this what it looks like to you Robo?

Those buildings were never built. Looks like just the start of the foundation was laid..

What about the building at Epcot that used to house Cranium Command and the like? My mind is drawing a blank..

This post made me really sad =(

It's sad to know that their are buildings that could be filled with families and fun just collecting dus:sad1:

1-Those buildings were never built.

2- Looks like just the start of the foundation was laid..

3- What about the building at Epcot that used to house Cranium Command and the like? My mind is drawing a blank..

1- They were in the first couple of phases of construction on those buildings.

2- Yup. All work stopped following the tragic "911" attacks.

3- That's the Wonders of Life, that has been previously mentioned.

Disney won't talk about why they stopped operating the Wonders of Life attractions.

WoL-bldg_Sml.jpg

Epcot-FW-GE-N_102109.jpg

Not an "attraction" per se, but "abandoned and rotting" nonetheless.

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 3 Bird'sEye - Only Unfinished area
POP_03-BeN-WS.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 4 Bird'sEye Both Room Bldgs -North
POP_04-BeN-CU.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 5 Bird'sEye Both Room Bldgs -East
POP_05-BeE-CU.jpg

Pop Century -Legendary Years UNFINISHED - 6 Bird'sEye Clubhouse/Lobby Bldgs
POP_06-BeW-CU.jpg

Robo..This one is a shame! Our DD loves POP and she has stayed in a lot of the resorts but this one is her favorite.And when we were there in October we are on the bus going to the parks and there were people on there that were excited about the "new section" they were building of POP.I told them that it has been that way since we were there on our first trip to POP back in Jan of 2007.
It's just sad looking at it :( sitting there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter