• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Young BFs in the Military

Just thought Id come back here. What a long journey is has been! He left for boot last Oct,, has relocated 3 times, and will FINALLY return home in 3 weeks! (his PDS is local)

As soon as he got his phone back, after 3.5 months of boot, he called immediately and they have been on facetime every spare second he has, hours per day. Last weekend we flew out to his MOS for a weekend visit. All is good, mentally, with both of them. I wish she would get out of the house more, now that the pandemic is nearing the end, and not be waiting by her IPAD daily, but I guess things could be worse, like her in tears every day. Although I dont recommend this type of relationship for anyone so young, it does work if you put n the effort.

Thanks again everyone for the tips, stories, advice.

Just thought Id come back here. What a long journey is has been! He left for boot last Oct,, has relocated 3 times, and will FINALLY return home in 3 weeks! (his PDS is local)

As soon as he got his phone back, after 3.5 months of boot, he called immediately and they have been on facetime every spare second he has, hours per day. Last weekend we flew out to his MOS for a weekend visit. All is good, mentally, with both of them. I wish she would get out of the house more, now that the pandemic is nearing the end, and not be waiting by her IPAD daily, but I guess things could be worse, like her in tears every day. Although I dont recommend this type of relationship for anyone so young, it does work if you put n the effort.

Thanks again everyone for the tips, stories, advice.
Thanks for posting the update! I’m glad things are working out for your daughter and her young man. I read this thread when you first posted and then reread it today. My DD just graduated from college. She broke up with her long term college boyfriend a few months ago and then started dating a young man from home that she’s known since she was a little girl. We are good family friends with his family. It appears to be getting kind of serious. Even though they are the same age, he still has one more year of college because he transferred to a local school and not all of his credits transferred. She has decided to live at home for the next year while working her job remotely so she can be close by. He is interested in joining the Marines and going to Officer Candidate School once he graduates. I’m not sure how it will all work out. A lot can change in a year, but I read this thread with interest.

I’m not sure how it will all work out

One never knows, but hopes for the best. I can say my DD has befriended the "girlfriends" via IPAD. 4 boys (men) in the room, all on their electronics, talking to their girlfriends. They position the screens so the girls can chat! Im fairly certain my DD is the youngest, but they all share their stories and support eachother. The most important info here is that they ALL remained dedicated to their relationship. Maybe just coincidence, or a lucky room, but I dont think so. These boys miss home as much as home misses them. Yes, they are super busy in the beginning and any type communication is non existent for several months, but if it ever gets in your DDs head that she has been forgetten, I can say with 99.9999999% confidence that is not the case (actually quite the opposite). If she is mentally strong, it can work.

Also, although our Marine has been gone for 9 months, without being allowed leave or visitors, it is due to the pandemic. Under normal circumstances, he would have had 10 days back at home after bootcamp and allowed visitors once he got settled at his MOS. Restrictions were not lifted until Memorial Day weekend, and we flew out 10 days later.

My (now) husband enlisted at 20, I was 17.

We got married when I was 18. We both finished our educations (I even finished grad school), we still haven't had any children (the families were convinced I had to have been pregnant to get married at that age), and I like to think we became well-adjusted members of society ;). DH did 10 years in and separated earlier this year.

October is our 10 year anniversary. Sometimes, it does work out.

I know plenty more couples in our situation who got divorced or broke up before marriage than those that ended up together, but it does happen. Leave her be. It will work out or it won't. The situation is hard enough on her already I promise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter