two way radios?

I can't answer about the other radios, but the Disney Motorola radio batteries last a while. When we go we leave them on all day with occasional use, and the batteries last about a week. I can't say they will last that long if there is constant use. As far as the channels go, we haven't had an issue because there are so many options for channels and sub channels. As annoying as the "Disney voices" can get, they really do get your attention. We turn off the automatic voice call at the end of every transmission. But there have been many times that we would try and call each other and we wouldn't hear it until we pushed the Mickey "HELLO". It just seems to get your attention more than someones voice. Good luck to anyone getting these radios, we have had great luck and use them in the mall, Walmart and any other location we want to split up. I would highly recommend them.

As I understand it, some of the radios that provide alternate channels are actually through General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) which is regulated by the FCC and requires a license to legally use.

I did a search on this topic on these boards because I was also curious about the use of the radios and that's basically what I found out.

You can get a license to legally operate on the GMRS system through the FCC's website at: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/index.html
for $75 and it is for five years and valid for an immediate family to use. That's the way I'm going to go - don't want to take any chances!

Nell

We have 2 sets of Motorolas for the kids to use around our neighborhood. They say they have "up" to 2 miles range. I tested them here and got ranges from .7 mile to .4 mile from the yard. Depends on how many trees and other houses around.

We use our cell phones at WDW. That way we do not even have to be in the same park to call each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter